HF RPG 2.5: Discussion

Voltex

First off, because this wasn't said here, I spoke with Onaku off-site and he's confirmed that Richie Rich's camouflaging abilities are Randall from Monsters Inc.-esque, in that he has to trigger it consciously but it automatically matches the pattern he's trying to hide on.

Second, because I asked about these points offline too and they're not here either (I think this is what Onaku meant by "along with what's been clarified"?):

- Spectre's transparency is not equivalent to invisibility, and people will still be able to see her- but she's less visible in low visibility situations.

- The transparency can't be activated independently, as it's a side effect of her phasing.

So, with these extra details, I'll toss out an approved (2/3). But, I'd keep an eye on how you play her to make sure she's not played as overpowered.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I hope that, along with what's been clarified in the skype chat, is enough to get her approved.

Not Approved out of spite.

Eh, seems fine to me. Lilith Approved x3. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Good News: I'M BACK!

Bad News: I leave again this Thursday and come back next Thursday... There's no way in heck I'll be able to do any decent amount of RPing within the next 48 hours, BUT, if I can connect with the guest server on Friday, I'll just hop back into the RP like usual. Sorry for the hold-up, guys!  :( 

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Update: So, it's been a little quiet recently, but we're setting up some stuff behind the scenes to get things rolling! Sorry that it's been a bit less action-packed recently. We're having a go at letting players have time between missions to "breathe" and have their characters update their stamp collections or whatever. Basically, have the chance to do some character development and interactions between missions. Rest assured, missions and such are in the works- it's not going to be one big sandbox permanently.

• Upvote 3

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

it's not going to be one big sandbox permanently.

But... but... my sandcastle :(

*Kicks it over* MISSIONS RULE

• Upvote 1

Oh I haven't been here in a while. Had no idea this was happening. Makes sense though. Soft reboot would work great for me.

Name: Kavok Quake

Powers and abilities: Minigun can use radioactive materials (as long as he's near some) for more harmful blasts.

He is also very good at making bombs.

Weapons: One small hand made mingun that attaches to his arm via the large ammo holder on his upper arm.

Appearance:

tumblr_nx3muh3u5t1tkkw4ko1_540.jpg

This minus the red printing on his chest.

Bio: A villain, but one with good intentions. After having his home destroyed by a hero due to an accident in a mission, and seeing various people he considered innocent imprisoned by HF he comes to conclusion that hero factory is an oppressive organization that should be destroyed.

Looks fine to me, but like Zippy mentioned, the radioactive goo is going to require an armor breach to have maximum effect. Basically like using a poisoned weapon; the poison's only really going to mess someone up if it gets into a wound.

GM approval 3/3.

Sorry for being gone for so long. Yeah I'm alright with this being a limit to the character. I'm assuming that means places the shoulder and neck aren't armoured and hence can be hit?

It's time to move on.

Seeing as most robots would have those areas covered to allow them to not short out in water: probably not, sorry. An armour breach would be required, like we said.

Also, something to consider: Kavok Quake was in prison the last time he was seen. Similar to the other villain involved in the attack on the police station, Night Stalker, he'd also have quite a lengthy sentence- mass murder isn't exactly something to be brushed off. Now, I get that's an issue- naturally you want to play as your character- so if you'd like you can pitch how he's escaped the prison. But remember: canonically, he was taken to prison, handed over, and locked up. He wouldn't be escaping from the Hero who captured him, he'd have to get out of the prison itself.

I completely forgot about that detail, sorry. But, while I'm here, it's also going to apply to Night Stalker. He's mentioned a reduced sentence, but I get the feeling that mass murder doesn't get much of a reduction, even with good behaviour. He's also voiced a want to do good, so it'll be a bit trickier to get him out of prison, but hey.

Sorry, guys. I know you want to play with them, and I don't want to stop you, but, uh... they did shoot up a police station. And then, in Night Stalker's case, go on to kill more people on a public street. You're gonna have to work around that. Like with Heroes, Villain actions also have consequences.

Another profile dump:

Name: Whirl

Character Type: Villain

Abilities/Equipment: Whirl is frighteningly proficient at using the helicopter blades on his back for flying and manoeuvring in the air. He's also proficient at firearm usage, as well as at fist fighting, and is extremely strong to top. His armour is quite durable, and his internal components aren't very easy to damage. Not that he's by any stretch invincible, he's just a tough nut. He owns two high-power energy pistols that pack quite the punch with each shot.

Appearance: Whirl basically looks like Rotor, but larger, bulkier, yet with a sleeker and more advanced looking armour design. The helicopter blades on his back are a bit larger than Rotor's too, and there are several thrusters on his back he can use to assist with manoeuvring. Like Rotor, his armour is orange and black, albeit with some red glowing lines across his armour, and two bright red glowing eyes.

Bio: Built as an improvement on the Rotor design, Whirl was sent out to hunt down and bring back Rotor to their shared homeworld, dead or alive.

---

Name: Uerub Kalslann

Character Type: Villain

Abilities/Equipment: Uerub is stronger, more agile and faster than she looks due to her metallic skeleton and artificial flesh, but otherwise has no inherent powers. She mostly uses twin blaster pistols, along with a sniper rifle she uses for long-ranged combat. She also has a vibro-blade dagger she uses for close combat. She also has a jet-pack equipped which allows her to take flight for short spurts.

Appearance: Uerub is a pseudo-organic android with a super-strong metallic skeleton on the inside, and artificial flesh covering it. Inside small body cavities, she has artificial organs that maintain her artificial flesh, as well as the pseudo-organic super-computer she has for a brain. Her face has a mouth and eyes, but no nose or nostrils. Her artificial skin is a pale grey, and her eyes glow yellow. Most of the time she has her black and sand-yellow armour equipped, hiding most of her body. Under the armour sections is dark grey cloth. Her helmet has two slits that extend down the entirety of her helmet from eye level, and have a dark glass-like appearance.

Bio: Uerub is a faction neutral bounty-hunter. She does the job for the money, no questions asked, with little care for who gets hurt or where. That being said, she currently holds no grudges against anyone, and when not on the job, she is quite amiable. Heroes, villains, civilians; she's got no quarrel with any of them unless they've specifically crossed her in the past. How ever, when she is on the job, her demeanour shifts drastically from amiable to cold and professional, and if anyone gets in her way while on the job, they'll be finding themselves wishing they hadn't.

---

Name: Necrissia

Character Type: Civilian (technically?)

Abilities/Equipment: Has highly powerful technopathy that allows her to pick up on what the state of an object was prior to being damaged, so long as a good majority of it is still intact. She is then able to repair that object to that previous state, but only if she has the materials for it. She is also able to alter those objects if her understanding of them is good enough, but she able to quickly study and figure out most mechanical constructs with enough focus.

She also seems to have a knack for reading people and determining their weaknesses, although this has nothing to do with combat weaknesses.

Appearance: Necrissia is completely hidden by her black ghostly robes. She is taller than most heroes, and her body build is extremely slender. Her face, if she has one, is hidden in complete darkness, and that very darkness seems to radiate from her.

Bio: Rumored to be able to bring back the (mechanical) dead, Necrissia is in fact simply a very skilled technopath. She can how ever revive those that would otherwise be impossible to bring back, and it is rumored that she has even brought a hero back from death at one point. These rumors have lingered in the darker parts of galactic society, and anyone interested in her services will realize that finding her is the easy part.

Bringing someone back from the dead has a cost. This cost can vary from person to person, but Necrissia seems to have a knack for determining what hits the hardest in each case.

She's currently holed up on Eclipse Station. Most people tend to keep away from her hideout, which has lead to a small section of the station getting somewhat abandoned and desolate.

---

*snip*

Edited by Toa Onaku

Abilities/Equipment: Sapphire is a speedster, and she can move at incredible speeds on the ground. She also has small retractable wings which she can use to slow her down when falling. She has average attributes otherwise, and relatively weak armour.

So, is there a limit to how fast she can go or....?

4084925-0594962731-tumbl.gif

Edited by Rylinth Anderfel

"It doesn't matter how big your first bite is. It matters how many bites you take." -Mool the Wanderer

While I find myself somewhat questioning the point of a PC whose sole purpose is to track down and arrest a single villain NPC who hasn't even appeared in the game yet, there's nothing technically wrong with Whirl, so Approved x1

Bounty Hunters are always fun, so Uerub Approved x1

Although you've written civilian, the way her profile is written out - to make her sound as unnecessarily dark and terrifying as possible - certainly makes Necrissia sound like a villain. Apart from that, though, I'm not seeing any glaring issues, so Approved x1

As people have already said, both here and on Skype, the only thing super about Sapphire's speed power is its vagueness, so I'm holding off approval until you give some kind of explanation as to its limitations. Obviously it doesn't need to be exact, hard numbers, but something to give us a rough idea would be appreciated. 

Edited by The Good Guys

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

@Nato: We have like 3 Rotors for Whirl to hunt down (Rotor, Gyro, and Arsenal) so there's that at least. I'm seeing no problems. Approved (2/3).

Uerub and Necrissia approved (2/3).

I also agree with what was said above about Sapphire. You gave "75% the speed of sound" offsite, which would be much too fast and especially with no related increased reflexes and junk, she'd end up a metal pancake pretty quickly.

However, as I've also said offsite, I'll allow 75% the speed of sound if she does it in backflips only. I'll allow her to do backflips from a standing start; however, she'd need to build up to that max speed rather than starting with it. Her initial backflips can be very fast too.

No I'm not serious but yeah please give us some kind of idea of speed since it can be a pretty OP power

• Upvote 2

Seeing as most robots would have those areas covered to allow them to not short out in water: probably not, sorry. An armour breach would be required, like we said.

Also, something to consider: Kavok Quake was in prison the last time he was seen. Similar to the other villain involved in the attack on the police station, Night Stalker, he'd also have quite a lengthy sentence- mass murder isn't exactly something to be brushed off. Now, I get that's an issue- naturally you want to play as your character- so if you'd like you can pitch how he's escaped the prison. But remember: canonically, he was taken to prison, handed over, and locked up. He wouldn't be escaping from the Hero who captured him, he'd have to get out of the prison itself.

I completely forgot about that detail, sorry. But, while I'm here, it's also going to apply to Night Stalker. He's mentioned a reduced sentence, but I get the feeling that mass murder doesn't get much of a reduction, even with good behaviour. He's also voiced a want to do good, so it'll be a bit trickier to get him out of prison, but hey.

Sorry, guys. I know you want to play with them, and I don't want to stop you, but, uh... they did shoot up a police station. And then, in Night Stalker's case, go on to kill more people on a public street. You're gonna have to work around that. Like with Heroes, Villain actions also have consequences.

Well I believe all the villains are in a temporary prison as the HF was destroyed. So from there I have two proposals for escape.

Scenario 1: The temporary prison is poorly constructed and he exploits this to get out.

Scenario 2: A prison guard is sympathetic to him and let's him get out. 

It's time to move on.

Well I believe all the villains are in a temporary prison as the HF was destroyed. So from there I have two proposals for escape.

Scenario 1: The temporary prison is poorly constructed and he exploits this to get out.

Actually, all the villains are in a proper prison- to be exact, the prison Corroder attacked in the second Hero Factory episode. I think it was mentioned by another GM somewhere? Another thing to add to the FAQ I need to do I guess. Additionally, Hero Factory is certainly not the only place to keep villains; there are several named ones in canon, and it's implied Hero Factory sends them there too. Point is, the prison would be pretty decently made, which knocks out your first scenario.

Your second scenario is highly unlikely. Kavok Quake is in there for mass murder. I'm assuming the guards would have access to this information. That's a tough thing to feel sympathetic about, and additionally letting him out might mean he'd just go do it again.

It's a really tricky situation, honestly. And I'm not doing it to be mean, it's just that this is where the last RPG left him, and we want him out but with a reason that would work. I've been talking with some of the other GMs about it, and hopefully we'll be able to get you a good reason he's escaped soon.

Yeah, it's in the first and second posts of the gameplay topic - Penitentiary 1331 is where most villains are being transferred while the VSF is being rebuilt.

So not only would it most definitely be complete, it'd probably have beefed up security to deal with the more dangerous prisoners, and the fact that villains have previously attacked it before. 

Whirl, Uerub Kalslann, and Necrissia all approved 3/3

Thought I did that already, but looking back at my post, all I did was throw out a Flash gif. =/

Sorry about that...

Also, on a side note, Onaku, did you ever decide on a price for Echo's resurrection? You emphasized the whole price thing in her profile a lot, but since Fishers got banned while the ritual was happening, we never really got around to that part. Not that it's terribly important, but it's been kinda bugging me. =P

"It doesn't matter how big your first bite is. It matters how many bites you take." -Mool the Wanderer

Perhaps that was the price. :P

• Upvote 2

I had an idea to make the reduced prison sentence plausible.  We just leave it up to the giant unknown that is the Mechna mission.  Night Stalker did something during that time that got him a lighter sentence.  However, it would not be very short.  Like you said, shooting up a police station isn't exactly water under the bridge  How short a time do you think would be plausible, in the most extreme case?

I had an idea to make the reduced prison sentence plausible.  We just leave it up to the giant unknown that is the Mechna mission.  Night Stalker did something during that time that got him a lighter sentence.  However, it would not be very short.  Like you said, shooting up a police station isn't exactly water under the bridge  How short a time do you think would be plausible, in the most extreme case?

Sorry about the late reply!

So, the thing with that is... Well, he was on Mechna, so that's a start, but he was in a cell. It's really unlikely he did much for a couple of reasons, but I'll handwave that whole business because that's not really the main problem here.

The main problem is, there's not really much he could have done to get such a ridiculously huge sentence shortened to a state that would be in any way consequential in the scope of the RPG. Maybe, best case scenario, they bumped off the charges for massive destruction of property into a fine. He shot up a police station, robbed them, and then went on to kill a lot of innocent people and put lots more in danger, and do serious damage to a lot of buildings. This last point I don't remember the finer details of so excuse me if I'm wrong, but he also didn't seem to show much if any regret or remorse about his actions afterwards. You said in his profile that he wants to turn good, and I get that, but at the time he seemed pretty uncaring about it. That can pretty negatively affect appeals and junk.

We're gonna try and sort out something for the villains currently jailed. It's just really tricky- we want you guys to be able to play your characters and all, but we also don't want to use anything that isn't at a certain level of realism. Actions have consequences, after all, and running around killing people isn't going to get you let off easily. It's the same deal with Skylor Sparrowhawk's current situation; I'm not trying to be mean and abuse GM powers to get everyone kicked out of Hero Factory, it's just that starting fights with random innocent (as far as they know) people on the street will bring you serious consequences, especially with a past record of breaking rules. And she's currently showing no regret or anything at her actions, as well, which affects how other characters will see and judge her and her actions.

I understand all of that.  This is however the only thing I can think of that would get Night Stalker out sooner rather than later.  Plus, we don't know exactly what happened on Mechna.  Maybe there was an attack on the Heroes' ship, freeing the villains inside.

Actually, all the villains are in a proper prison- to be exact, the prison Corroder attacked in the second Hero Factory episode. I think it was mentioned by another GM somewhere? Another thing to add to the FAQ I need to do I guess. Additionally, Hero Factory is certainly not the only place to keep villains; there are several named ones in canon, and it's implied Hero Factory sends them there too. Point is, the prison would be pretty decently made, which knocks out your first scenario.

Your second scenario is highly unlikely. Kavok Quake is in there for mass murder. I'm assuming the guards would have access to this information. That's a tough thing to feel sympathetic about, and additionally letting him out might mean he'd just go do it again.

It's a really tricky situation, honestly. And I'm not doing it to be mean, it's just that this is where the last RPG left him, and we want him out but with a reason that would work. I've been talking with some of the other GMs about it, and hopefully we'll be able to get you a good reason he's escaped soon.

I know we have to keep things making sense. No need to apologize. Anyway:

Scenario 3: Quake is broken out by a villain who wants to use his knowledge in making explosives to their advantage

Scenario 4: Finds a way out while the guards are distracted. 

It's time to move on.

Sorry for the delays! Most if not all of the GMs are currently in some form of schooling (including me, in uni) and the semester is just starting up. It's a lot of work!

Vestak, yours would have a better chance of working if you hadn't put in Night Stalker's profile that he was in prison, and then went on to post with him in prison. That is, if you're referring to him just up and fleeing. If you mean an excuse for him helping, sure, but that leaves all the other junk about him being in there for mass murder.

Oddly enough, masterchirox's third scenario is closest to what me and Nato have been plotting out for you two. We'll send you both a PM with details once we have something solid, but I think we've got something good figured out that'll also give you a role in the first mission which is coming up soonish.

Also, for the record, Scenario 4 was decided to be not realistic either. These are trained guards, after all, and also imagine the kind of distraction that would allow him to not only escape his secure cell but also get by any and all security measures on the way. I mean, maybe it'd be doable if he knew the layout and all sorts of up-to-date info on the inside, but... Not that it matters because you guessed something pretty close to what's ideally going to happen with Scenario 3! Yay!!!

Vestak, we get Night Stalker's wanting to go good and thus may not agree with a breakout. We've taken that into account, don't worry.

Activity is waning, which I suspect is a mix of the new semester coming back in a lot of places and also because of aforementioned problems with having a break at the start rather than between missions, but we're hoping to start Technically Mission 1 some point soon! Get hype! :D

• Upvote 1

Also, on a side note, Onaku, did you ever decide on a price for Echo's resurrection? You emphasized the whole price thing in her profile a lot, but since Fishers got banned while the ritual was happening, we never really got around to that part. Not that it's terribly important, but it's been kinda bugging me. =P

Honestly, I hadn't decided at that point, and I still haven't now. I mean, if you want, I could try coming up with something, but I feel like it would be either a bit retcon-y or just plain irrelevant if not done right.

Anyway, last batch of profiles coming up.

*snip*

---

*snip*

---

Name: Andrea Plume

Character Type: Hero

Abilities/Equipment: Andrea can form wings on her back that look like bird wings, except composed of solid-emulating energy. They allow her to fly in any environment, even in a vacuum by propelling her forward with energy thrusts from the tips of their "feathers". Her body itself is much lighter than the body of a normal hero, but is also less durable. She has the ability to zoom her vision in on various targets, and has very good aim with her weapon of choice: the javelin.

Andrea's weapons are solid-emulating energy javelins that she can create and dissipate at will. She can create up to three energy javelins at any given time, and has to dissipate her already-existing javelins in order to create more, although she can also simply retrieve those she has already thrown. She also has an energy shield that she can have appear on either of her arms to make up for her weak build. She is additionally able to shoot the energy "feathers" of her wings as smaller and weaker projectiles, although her inexperience with this new ability has her using it very little if at all.

Appearance: Andrea is extremely slim. Her body has the primary colour of dark green, as well as the secondary underlying colour of white. Her helmet is shaped like a bird head, although quite stylized and altered to be more aerodynamic. The entirety of her armour is made to help her be more aerodynamic.

Bio: Andrea was created around the same time as Quark, Wolfe and Stormer, and served many missions, but then, while on a solo mission scouting for space pirates, she disappeared without trace. Fifty years later, she returned to Hero Factory in her badly worn dropship. For her, it had been but five months since she had departed. Her surprise when she learnt of how long she had been gone from her friends' viewpoints was immense, but due to the circumstances, was unable to properly address it. 

After the factory was destroyed, she rented a large garage where she moved the salvaged remains of her dropship, which she has since restored and now has taken up residence in.

Edited by Toa Onaku

While I'm tempted to abuse my newfound authority and establish a dictatorial 'no expies' rule, I feel like that might result in some measure of resentment being directed at me from the playerbase.

As such, consider Var Vicious, R4 and the Tie Incursor all Approved x1

I'm not seeing any glaring issues, so Andrea Plume also Approved x1

However, I can't say the same for Delta. Time travel is a concept I'm a little iffy about, but in Delta's situation it's actually not a major issue. What I have a problem with is the abuseability of his powers, and the near-infinite energy source. A character who will basically never get exhausted or run out of power seems more than a little OP, especially when they have not one, but three of the single most godmoddy/autohitty powersets I can think of for this game, at their disposal, regardless of how inexperienced they are when it comes to using those powers. 

About Var, I was going to say something similar to Nato: I'm pretty sure last game you were told last time that Var Vicious couldn't be a straight up Sith. I don't mind "Dark Warlock" or other such things, however blatant, but I'm not gonna open up the floodgates of other franchises or else I will not be able to restrain myself from recreating every single Care Bear in RPG format. Also, manipulating emotions was something I think was nulled too last time? In any case, it's added from the last version of the profile. Also, how much weaker is the powerful force lightning? It's a bit of an oxymoron, there. I'm delaying a decision on Var.

Var's ship is, apparently, very light-plated for speed, but the plating is strong enough to protect it from "all but the most damaging of weaponry", meaning it would be very heavily plated. I don't know much about the speed but I'm looking at it and thinking "quick spaceship" so sure. The weapons are a bit general but since most weapons in this game are I'm not that fussed. But I am fussed about the super speedy and super protected armour plating on the ship. It seems a bit OP. Not approved.

I'd place Delta as a civilian, since he's not a Hero build currently employed at the Hero Factory and also presumably doesn't have a criminal record. Remember, character types aren't reflective of build or species, they're a character type. Delta doesn't fit the Hero criteria. His powers are "limited by his energy source", which is unlimited. Also, inexperience or not, his powers are ridiculously OP. If he was experienced I'm pretty sure he'd be beyond OP and into, like, super-OP. He also has the potential to become experienced relatively easily/learn new powers which, in this particular case, seems very OP and not very fair since one of his powers is literally "alter reality". It's super easy to abuse. Not approved.

Andrea Plume has no glaring issues except at first I thought she only had the one solid javelin and was disappointed when I learned that it was multiple that could be dissipated, so I wouldn't get to laugh at the thought of her having to drop the combat, scoop up her javelin, and try again. Approved (2/3).

Man. Sorry about all the non-approvals! They're good characters, but they have some OP stuff to them that I don't think I can approve. Fix those up and you should be good as gold, mate! :D

Honestly, I hadn't decided at that point, and I still haven't now. I mean, if you want, I could try coming up with something, but I feel like it would be either a bit retcon-y or just plain irrelevant if not done right.

Nah, let's just say it was something really awful and bad and leave it at that. 

Var Vicious Not Approved

For one thing, as Zippy mentioned, we haven't really been allowing any kind of crossovers (if we did allow them we'd probably have more Bionicle than HF guys running around in here) so some of the wording in the profile will need to be changed so she's less "Sith" and more "Obviously-A-Sith-But-That's-Not-What-We're-Calling-Her". Also, it seems to me like she has one too many really powerful abilities; Jedi reflexes and agility, Force Lightning, limited mind-reading, and telekinesis seems like a bit much...

TIE Incursor also Not Approved

Because 5000g on a starfighter is excessive to say the least.

Andrea Plume Approved 3/3

Delta Approved -1/3

So many problems with this guy... where to begin? Just one of the powers you gave him, even taking his inexperience into consideration, would set him at borderline OP. Throw in an infinite battery with a larger power supply than a normal Core and you've got yourself a character that makes Traferous look sort of reasonable. Delta's really, really got to be toned down a lot before we let him into the realm of mortals.

But, surprisingly, because of the Mechna thing, you can actually get away with the whole time-travel thing in his bio and have a pretty decent excuse for it.

Sorry that I can't approve more of these guys, but at least some of these issues need to be resolved first. =/

• Upvote 1

SHIP PROFILE: The Scalpel

Propulsion Systems: The Scalpel has 4 hyper-boosters on the back and one attached to each wing. Its maximum acceleration is 8000G. The wings and fin have gaps in the middle to allow the swivel turret to roll around on the track and down the sides without interference.

Ah, right, forgot about poor lonely Shade and all those other guys.

Shade Approved 1/3 I suppose.

Night Stalker Approved 1/3,

Morphos Approved 1/3 (hesitant about this one because he has so many weapons),

and Ruby Approved 1/3

as well.

EDIT: Oh right, forgot about The Scalpel. I'll give that an Approved 2/3.

Nah, let's just say it was something really awful and bad and leave it at that. 

Var Vicious Not Approved

For one thing, as Zippy mentioned, we haven't really been allowing any kind of crossovers (if we did allow them we'd probably have more Bionicle than HF guys running around in here) so some of the wording in the profile will need to be changed so she's less "Sith" and more "Obviously-A-Sith-But-That's-Not-What-We're-Calling-Her". Also, it seems to me like she has one too many really powerful abilities; Jedi reflexes and agility, Force Lightning, limited mind-reading, and telekinesis seems like a bit much...

TIE Incursor also Not Approved

Because 5000g on a starfighter is excessive to say the least.

Andrea Plume Approved 3/3

Delta Approved -1/3

So many problems with this guy... where to begin? Just one of the powers you gave him, even taking his inexperience into consideration, would set him at borderline OP. Throw in an infinite battery with a larger power supply than a normal Core and you've got yourself a character that makes Traferous look sort of reasonable. Delta's really, really got to be toned down a lot before we let him into the realm of mortals.

But, surprisingly, because of the Mechna thing, you can actually get away with the whole time-travel thing in his bio and have a pretty decent excuse for it.

Sorry that I can't approve more of these guys, but at least some of these issues need to be resolved first. =/

Um. I'm seeing a slight discrepancy here. Haha...  :P

"He who loves his brother most hits him hardest." -Vicarath.

Actually, it might be a good time to do some evaluations. First off, G is a unit for measuring acceleration, not speed. (italicized words are italicized for emphasis; I'm not trying to sound mad  :)) The equation for acceleration is:

a = (V)/(T) = (V1 - V0)/(t) where V is the change of the velocity (speed) over time (T) which is equivalent to the difference between the initial speed and final speed of the object. V is equal to V1 - V0. V1 = final speed. V0 = initial speed.

I'll use 8000G as an example here: 8000G = V/T = (V1 - 0 mi/s)/1s Here the total time to accelerate is 1 second and the starting speed is 0 miles per second. (I'm solving for final speed here.) 8000G is equal to 48.7485584188 mi/s² (using a conversion calculator).

Now the equation looks like: 48.7485584188 mi/s² = (Vmi/s)/1s = V1 mi/s². V1 = 48.7485584188 miles per second. Of course, by playing with different starting and ending speeds or with the elapsed time will yield different numbers. But that said, accelerating by 8000G in 1 second from a cold start of 0 mi/s will put the accelerating object at 48.749 mi/s by the time that second has passed. To put this in perspective regarding spaceships or whatnot, the speed of light is 186,299 mi/s. Just accelerating 8000G for 80 seconds starting from 0 miles per hour puts the final speed at around 14 million miles per hour.

Then there's the fun stuff. For instance: there's no natural deceleration in space; a spaceship could be accelerating at a flat rate for any length of time in space,cut its engines, and would still "drift" at that same acceleration. This also means that there's no "maximum speed" in space either, unless a spaceship has safety features built in to cause deceleration in space to keep the driver safe (a normal human can't survive acceleration at 9G, though this is due to a difficulty with pumping blood).

Scaling the speed down would make sense except that we're talking about intergalactic space travel. Is 5000G excessive for a starfighter? I'll leave that to you GMs. But something has to travel this fast and faster in order for the small amount of time to get heroes where they need to go during missions to make sense. In our own galaxy, the star Alioth is 80 light years away. If the heroes are limited to their own system and don't need to travel their whole galaxy, then accelerations or speeds this high aren't necessary. (most if not all the planets in our Solar System are mere light hours away from Earth)

I understand that the ships have to be kept in check for things to be fair if they ever end up fighting each other, whether out in space or in atmosphere, but they also need to be adequately speedy for travel as well.

Edited by Vicarath

I think somewhere along the line in the previous game there was an unofficial decision by most of the playerbase to give their ships some form of faster than light travel, be it Star Wars style hyperdrives, Stellaris-esque wormhole generators, classic FTL bubbles, or whatever other well-known sci-fi franchise rip-off they happened to feel like.

But in most sci-fi, FTL methods are a separate component to regular engines/thrusters, which are generally limited to sub-light speeds. 

So i'll wait for my fellow GMs to weigh in on the issue, but perhaps for ship profiles all players should do is note whether or not their ship is capable of FTL, and then limit that ship's regular sub-light speed and agility to something that would be more reasonable for an aircraft that size (in other words, I'm not going to approve a gigantic capital ship that can move and maneuver like a fighter jet). 

• Upvote 2

As long as we are given a better idea of how fast Sapphire can actually go, I'm perfectly happy to approve her.

As for Delta, I have no problem with the time-travel story, but I do believe both his powers and the singularity matrix are a bit OP. All I can suggest for the power issue is that it be simplified to "[advanced] gravity manipulation" or something. The core (or lack thereof) is a little tougher -- I suppose I'd be willing to approve a self-charging device if it were given a decent cool-down period of some sort. I mean, I guess it would make sense that future-Makuro would try to come up with a more efficient method of getting the Heroes prep'd for battle without them running back to the Tower every other mission... Maybe Delta tires out like any other Hero and simply has to take a break for two or three hours? Plus, I actually see a rather large weakness with this matrix thing: because Delta is from a different time period in which he has little to no technical (medical?) experience, damaging his matrix would be a very bad thing -- he's essentially stuck in a time where nobody would know how to fix him. Something like that could definitely affect the kid's story.

Alright, let's keep it simple with the FTL and sub-light speeds. In ideal weather conditions a small ship could go well over 1,500 mph (2,500 kmph), so I don't think it's too unreasonable to say that it could travel about that fast in space. If your ship is the size of a commercial jet or bigger, it's probably pushing 600 mph (1,000 kmph). Either one is your rough sub-light speed. Now, if your ship has a hyperdrive/warp engine for FTL travel (not terribly common for smaller craft), we're looking at speeds of over 680,000,000 mph. I'd wager it's rare or even impossible to top that, so I don't think we need to worry about specifics when describing whether or not our ships are FTL-capable.  :P 

With regard to ship size and maneuverability, think of it this way: there's no way in karz your Peterbilt Class 8 is going to be as flexible as a Mini Cooper.

That concludes my 5:00 AM ramblings. Now that things have quieted the heck down in other areas of my life, maybe I can actually participate in this RP.  ;) 

• Upvote 2

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Alright, let's keep it simple with the FTL and sub-light speeds. In ideal weather conditions a small ship could go well over 1,500 mph (2,500 kmph), so I don't think it's too unreasonable to say that it could travel about that fast in space. If your ship is the size of a commercial jet or bigger, it's probably pushing 600 mph (1,000 kmph). Either one is your rough sub-light speed. Now, if your ship has a hyperdrive/warp engine for FTL travel (not terribly common for smaller craft), we're looking at speeds of over 680,000,000 mph. I'd wager it's rare or even impossible to top that, so I don't think we need to worry about specifics when describing whether or not our ships are FTL-capable.  :P 

With regard to ship size and maneuverability, think of it this way: there's no way in karz your Peterbilt Class 8 is going to be as flexible as a Mini Cooper.

That concludes my 5:00 AM ramblings. Now that things have quieted the heck down in other areas of my life, maybe I can actually participate in this RP.  ;)

Technically, any ship could go that fast and faster in space given enough time. Even in the best weather conditions, a ship is still in atmosphere and thus under the effect of wind resistance and gravity which will cause natural deceleration. The lack of these things in space means that an object launched into space at 3 mph will continue traveling at 3 mph indefinitely until that object eventually hits something. The only speed limit in space is the speed of light. A ship can get infinitely close to the speed of light without ever reaching it. (even to 0.9999999999c) The reason a ship (or anything with mass) can't reach the speed of light is because speed and mass are all relative. At some point, a speck of dust accelerating at millions of Gs will equal the same amount of mass as a Star Destroyer accelerating at a much much slower rate. As mass continues to accelerate, the increase in acceleration begins to decline the closer to the speed of light the mass gets. The acceleration will never hit a flat rate, but it'll never accelerate an object to c or higher. I can understand putting speed limits and allowing faster-than-light-travel devices on vehicles for game purposes, but it's worthwhile to note that that sort of limitation doesn't actually exist and those speeds are impossible in reality.

Edited by Vicarath