HF RPG 2.5: Discussion

Voltex

Alright, let's keep it simple with the FTL and sub-light speeds. In ideal weather conditions a small ship could go well over 1,500 mph (2,500 kmph), so I don't think it's too unreasonable to say that it could travel about that fast in space. If your ship is the size of a commercial jet or bigger, it's probably pushing 600 mph (1,000 kmph). Either one is your rough sub-light speed. Now, if your ship has a hyperdrive/warp engine for FTL travel (not terribly common for smaller craft), we're looking at speeds of over 680,000,000 mph. I'd wager it's rare or even impossible to top that, so I don't think we need to worry about specifics when describing whether or not our ships are FTL-capable.  :P 

With regard to ship size and maneuverability, think of it this way: there's no way in karz your Peterbilt Class 8 is going to be as flexible as a Mini Cooper.

That concludes my 5:00 AM ramblings. Now that things have quieted the heck down in other areas of my life, maybe I can actually participate in this RP.  ;)

The Concorde carried 120 passengers and cruised at 1340 mph. I think large ships can match or even best the speed of smaller ones just fine. They'll still take much longer to accelerate to that speed.

~Unit#phntk#1

• Upvote 1

Vicarath, I get you, but you're missing the point entirely: we're not gonna let players have ships that can travel ridiculously fast whenever so they can have an incredibly OP advantage over the other ships. I'm not one for attaching numbers to things like ship speed anyway, but that's another matter. We're most likely gonna go by standard, easy rules of "you can go FTL for travel, but that's a setting and below that in combat you're gonna have a reasonable speed that's not ridiculous". Unit's observation makes sense, but I'd imagine bigger ships would probably also be harder to manoeuvre and thus you'd most likely want them going at a reasonable speed so you're prepared to move the ship off its flight path if the need arose.

Also, the point that's been made in terms of "but ships can accelerate forever" is moot. I'd bet, in a fight, at some point something's going to cross your flight path long before you've reached the speed of light, and then you'd have to move around that and lose acceleration. Or, you're going too fast to dodge and you crash your ship. It doesn't sound like it's going to go well. Travel with FTL drives, that's fair and standard science fiction fare. You're cruising along to a destination and it speeds up travel time. Having a ship that goes ridiculously fast just whenever they feel like it sounds like it's going to end in a bad time in a combat situation, with how OP it is, and if you're making the acceleration forever argument for that, you're typically not able to build that acceleration when ducking, swerving, and aiming at other ships.

Also I just wanted to share that I looked online and found that humans can survive roughly 40 G-force for a very short amount of time. Yeah, I know robots will have bounds slightly above that (probably not anywhere near the point to survive the G-force pressed by the ship, but hey), and I know these ships will probably have protections against it. I just found it to be an interesting observation when looking up just exactly how damaging this amount of G-force would be.

tl;dr: FTL is travel, normal speeds for fight/explore/etc

• Upvote 1

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

So the conclusion I'm coming to reading all this is that people should really stop sticking numbers in their profiles.  :P

I mean, seriously, almost all of the issues we've had with characters that were deemed "OP" (especially Onaku's characters) were because of unreasonably high numbers occupying spaces in the profile where vague descriptors would've done a better job. For instance: Forticus having a number that indicated he could lift three blue whales no probs when Toa Onaku could've just said "He has super strength" was definitely a scenario where a bit of ambiguity would've gone miles towards getting the profile approved.

Now, granted, there are still problems with leaving numbers out (Sapphire is a good example of that), but you can still use fairly un-specific values like "She can run 3x the speed of a bicycle" rather than just nothing.

(Also, sorry Onaku. Wasn't trying to pick on you or anything; it's just that you're characters make good examples :D )

• Upvote 1

"It doesn't matter how big your first bite is. It matters how many bites you take." -Mool the Wanderer

Yes. Numbers are hard.

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I decided to try and work on these profiles a bit to get them approved since, you know, I actually intend to play them. I hope the edits are satisfactory toward making them approve-able.

Name: Sapphire, a.k.a. The Blue Speedster

Character Type: Villain

Abilities/Equipment: Sapphire is a speedster, and she can move at incredible speeds on the ground. Although she can approach the speed of sound, the closer she gets to it the harder it is for her to turn, meaning that at 95.3% the speed of sound (her theoretical maximum speed), she'd be forced to move in a straight line. This means that she'll most often keep to lower speeds such as 100 km/h. She also has small retractable wings which she can use to slow her down when falling. She has average attributes otherwise, and relatively weak armour.

Appearance:

EIPz0Him.png

Bio: Sapphire has recently risen to notoriety as a speeding criminal who breaks all manners of laws regarding public safety, along with causing severe damage to public property in her thrill-seeking runs through cities. She's also taken to barging in on sports events to illegally compete against the athletes there.

She is extremely competitive, and considers herself to be the best. Anyone that turns out to be better than her upsets her, and she will go to great lengths to ensure that she once more stands on the top as the best. She feels that no one should be able to beat her. Ever.

---

Name: Var Vilandris (aka Darth Vicious)

Character Type: Villain

Abilities/Equipment: Var is a Sith, well versed in the many abilities granted by the dark side of the force.

Lightning: Var had the ability to call forth force lightning from her hands, but this ability has become limited, allowing her only one or two weak arcs of lightning in quick succession before becoming fatigued. The arcs will slightly stun the standard hero, but do little damage to their systems.

Telekinetics: Var can affect objects some distance away from herself, and can lift items half as heavy as she would physically be able to lift with these powers.

Empathy: Var can sense the emotions of other beings.

Light Saber: Var possesses a red glowing light saber. She is very skilled at using this weapon.

Acrobatics: Var is more agile than her appearance might let on, and is able to jump around and run like no member of her race should conceivably be capable of.

Var is completely organic, but would still be able to take on the average hero in a physical contest. She does how ever wear armor that gives her additional protection. This suit also allows her to survive for extended periods of time in harsh conditions such as the vacuum of space, an arctic climate, the depths of an ocean and the rim of an active volcano. Important to note is that the suit cannot survive in any of these situations for very long aside from the vacuum of space.

Astrodroid: Var is in possession of an R4 series astrodroid, one going by the designation of R4-V0. It has a vicious temperament. Seeing as it was built for a universal interface system designed in another galaxy, it is unable to interface with any machine other than the ship it arrived in. It does how ever have some weaponizible utility modules, such as an electrocution probe and a blowtorch.

Appearance: Var wore a black suit of armour which added bulk to her body and had a helmet that concealed her face. When not wearing the armour suit, she wore very dark clothing, mirroring her dark personality and interests, although recently she has ditched the black and dark clothe colours for lighter colours. 

Her skin was completely pale, if not also a bit grey, although it has recently began to move toward a more healthy tone. Her eyes were glowing orange, reflecting her dark-side corruption, but this effect has subsided, revealing a hazel eye colour. Her hair is short cut and black, with some red highlights that have mostly faded away. She is tall and stockily built.

Bio: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Var was trained in the dark side of the force as a Sith. She was at some point in time displaced from her home galaxy, and thus arrived in this one. Here, she made it her mission to spread the teachings of the Sith that she herself was taught all that time ago. But six months ago, after the Mechna incident, she seemed to lose motivation to continue this cause. She began to maintain a low profile and made a new life for herself as a bounty hunter. Slowly but surely, her conviction to keep to the dark side has faded away.

Name: TIE Incursor Starfighter

Ship Size: Very small one pilot fighter ship. 5.5 meters long

Pilot: Var Vicious. 

NPC: The ship has a slot for the ship's astrodroid, R4-V0.

Communications: The fighter has a universal communication system.

Navigation and Drive:

The cockpit has a 180° view horizontally, and a 145° view vertically. The navigation system allows the pilot to keep track of any and all objects in all directions on the hud, as well as through sound systems which analyze and process objects around the ship to deliver a 3d soundscape, helping the pilot to keep track of the environment. The ship also has rudimentary maps of parts of the galaxy that have been charted.

It has a hyperdrive, allowing it to travel faster than light, although precise calculations are necessary to deliver it to its destination without any unfortunate occurrences such as crashing into a planet or a star. Var's R4 series astrodroid, R4-V0, handles these calculations, and is very quick at it most of the time.

Weapons & Armor: Being a ship designed around manoeuvrability and speed, its armor plates are very light, but still durable enough to take hits (take, as in not get penetrated in a single blast, but still damaged enough that a second or third might get through) from all but the most damaging of weaponry. It is how ever very well armed, with high-yield energy blasters on each wing, as well as two low-yield blasters mounted under the front end of the cockpit, and on the back end of the ship.

Propulsion: The TIE Incursor’s propulsion systems are high powered Twin Ion Engines, along with manoeuvring thrusters at key points on the ship which help it to take swift turns while in combat. It can accelerate very quickly, and has a high atmospheric top velocity.

Landing: The fighter can easily land on any surface large enough to support it.

Edited by Toa Onaku

Sapphire not approved. When I said "75% the speed of sound is ridiculous", I didn't mean up the stakes. I appreciate the effort to go hard or go home, but...

She also continues to have no heightened reflexes, so she's still going to be a metal pancake unless you were to abuse "she dodged just in time" a heck of a lot.

Var not approved. You haven't fixed the issue of her being a Star Wars character, which was outlined by both myself and Rylinth last time, and you haven't given a measure for how much "weaker" the lightning power is- I mean, if it's still plenty strong enough to incapacitate a person, then the point of it being weaker is moot because it's still pretty dang strong. Rylinth's observation about her having a great many powers is also noted, and while I appreciate you removing the mind manipulation, she still has a lot of powers. This is borderline to me, and not exactly a dealbreaker depending on how powerful the lightning is. However, the telekinetics, I feel, might cause issues, especially since it's such a big powerful power and she's got even more powerful powers on top of it. If a character had it and that's it- or had it with a weakness- then that's less of an issue, but Var has:

- Telekinesis equal to her own strength

- Super strength

- Emotion reading

- Lightning Bolts

- Super dodge

- Super hardiness to hits + armour

- Super sword that cuts through most anything

So you can imagine that she's looking pretty OP right now.

Her ship is also not approved because while you added a note of "isn't taken down by a single hit" you've left in it can't be damaged at all by all but the most powerful of attacks despite being lightly armoured. You can't have super speed, usually weakened by light armour, and then just take out the light armour weakness. Especially when you add "very well armed" on top of that. Also, it can detect any and all objects approaching it in all directions, meaning it also has omniscience in battle too.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

I gotta agree with Zippy on all of this. We've just had a conversation that more or less concluded with "no more hard numbers", so immediately posting a profile with even harder numbers than it previously had comes across as an intentional act of spite. 

I can't really say much on Var, since I already jumped the gun and gave my approval for her earlier.

And while I also gave an approval for the Incursor, the points the other GMs have been making made me realise that it seems to have an awful lot of stuff for such a small ship. You say it's only 5.5 metres along, yet it has five extremely powerful weapons, a hyper-sophisticated navigation system that can render a 3D image of all nearby objects, a cockpit with a huge amount of its space devoted to viewports, two main thrusters, a whole bunch of other smaller thrusters, (I assume) an FTL drive, and a section somewhere to house R4. 

In other words, it has a whole lot more gadgets and gizmos than most ships several times its size, and I can't help but wonder if it would even have enough room for all that stuff, and a big enough generator/engine/whatever to power it all. 

But that said, I have already given my approval for the Incursor, so feel free to disregard all of that. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I'm going to reserve judgement until Onaku responds to these points; you guys have said all that I would've otherwise.

In the meantime, Vicarath, it might be a good idea to go back and edit the 8000g thing out of The Scalpel's profile.

But that said, I have already given my approval for the Incursor, so feel free to disregard all of that. 

Wait, we can't revoke approval? Fishers did that once or twice in special cases, if I remember correctly...

"It doesn't matter how big your first bite is. It matters how many bites you take." -Mool the Wanderer

We can revoke approval. It's just that there's not much point- the way it's structured, if one GM unapproves a profile, the profile can't be approved unless the issue is remedied, either by fixing the profile or the GM realising that it's not an issue. Also, since I'd like people to feel free to bring up issues they have with profiles, I'd say approval should be a thing we can revoke in case a profile gets approvals and then a player sees something we all missed. Other than that, having a three-approval system makes the revoking thing a lot less frequent.

We probably can, but since profiles require three approvals to go through, I don't see much point in retracting my prior approval if the other GMs are already working to address the things I was too stupid to notice the first time. 

EDIT: Ninja'd. 

Edited by The Good Guys

How does this look to everyone?

Propulsion/Travel Systems: Built for speed, The Scalpel has 4 hyper-boosters on the back and one attached to each wing. The wings and fin have gaps in the middle to allow the swivel turret to roll around on the track and down the sides without interference. For intergalactic travel, the ship is equipped with a powerful wormhole drive. In order to work the drive, Silke has to focus all of the ship's energy into using it, which consequently means that the turret, chameleon field, and boosters are un-powered while she opens the wormhole. It usually takes 8 minutes of feeding constant power to the drive before a wormhole is complete. 

"He who loves his brother most hits him hardest." -Vicarath.

Makes sense. A system like that probably would take a bit of power and time to charge up and function, but in all honesty eight minutes seems like a really long time in the context of an RPG like this one. If another ship were to attack the Scalpel while it's sitting there with no camouflage, engines, or defences, its pretty much doomed. 

That doesn't seem very fair on you, so I might suggest significantly shortening that charge time. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. I wanted to make certain that the charging time was long enough to ensure that I could never feasibly use the drive during combat. Would four minutes be reasonable, or is that still on the long side?  :)

Edited by Vicarath

"He who loves his brother most hits him hardest." -Vicarath.

When I put in 95.3% as her max speed, I did mention theoretical. Seeing as how she doesn't have heightened reflexes, it's in her best interest to keep below that theoretical maximum speed. Which she can do, you know, because it's not zero or maximum. There is a middle-ground which she'd tread as to not become a metallic pancake. So although she can go that speed, it doesn't mean that she will or should or wouldn't immediately die if she did. It's just like this limit that she can push herself to when in the direst of dire situations, but as I said, doing so puts her at risk, so she will keep far below that.

Anyway, yeah, I guess I should cut down more of Var's powers. Also probably give her ship a look over.

Name: Jade Riley

Character type: Civilian

Appearance: White with orange accents, fairly non descript, with a standard pilot's chassis, and a flip down visor that serves as instrumentation for flight in the event of equipment failure.

Abilities/equipment: 

Ace pilot: able to fly just about anything, and do it better than most others.

Wireless instrument visor: This flip down visor give additional information while flying, and can serve as back up instrumentation should the ship's own fail.

Slug-thrower: This eight shot projectile weapon is used for self defense. It packs a decent punch, and is able to be loaded with different ammunition types, but as a survival backup weapon, it typically carries AP rounds. 

Bio: While not a hero, Jade has more than earned her place as an expert pilot, flying any ship with ease for the Factory in both fire support and dropship roles. She's sarcastic and sometimes forgetful, but her skills are undeniable.

Name: Gunship 479

Ship Size: Medium

Appearance: BZFT3gI.png XCGWYhF.png

Pilot: Jade

Communications: Access to HF and a wide range of civilian and unlicensed channels.

Navigation and Drive: Access to standard HF Star-maps, as well as a few.... less than legitimate maps. Piloted from the front, with standard holo HUD and control panels. 

Weapons/Armor: As befitting a gunship, 479 is heavily armed and armored. Heavy lasers, and two racks of missile pods, each holding roughly 12 missiles. Additionally, a light laser cannon in the rear provides some additional firepower.The armor is thick, ablative plating, designed to boil away under fire and preserve the overall functionality of the armor. Chaff pods provide missile defense, but are limited to four chaff firings.

Propulsion systems: On each 'wing' there are two main engines for propulsion, as well as smaller thrusters for maneuvering, deceleration, or hovering. Additional engine pods lie on either side of the rear, each wing and pod able to rotate independently of each other parallel to the body of the ship, giving it surprising agility for a ship of it's size, as well as power to punch through lines.

Land/Dock: Tripod system allows easy landing on any relatively flat surface.

Other: Troop bay able to hold around six heroes with full gear, eight without, or ten civilians. Or four XLs. LADAR system gives a 360 degree detection system out to a fair range though ships with stealth technology can slip by this, assuming they are designed to counter LADAR systems.

Edited by Strider!

Does it have FTL capabilities? I assumes yes, since it's a dropship, but I just wanted to get some clarification. 

Also, I might be misunderstanding something, but according to Google, LIDAR is primarily used for land surveying, mapmaking, and that sort of thing. It doesn't seem to be a technology that's particularly well-suited for a flying spaceship that's going to be fighting other flying spaceships?

EDIT: Scratch that, did a bit more digging. Apparently it's used by autonomous vehicles, drones and weapons as well, so that works. 

Edited by The Good Guys

Vicarath, I think I get why you put a long charge on it. It's because instead of travelling, you travel through a wormhole and appear instantly, right?

Onaku, I think you've missed the point entirely on the speed thing. The problem isn't that it's not her normal speed and she won't be using it unless in dire circumstances, the problem is that it's too fast to not be considered OP. If she can't use it without crashing into things or shattering apart (another possibility I forgot to mention last time), why have that as an option for her? Just choose a reasonable speed instead of a theoretical but ridiculously high one that will no doubt kill her long before she approaches it.

Scorp: You say Jade can fly "just about anything". I ask you: can she fly a pterosaur? What is the limit to her capability to fly things? Anyway, approved (1/3).

As for Jade's ship... I'd question the wisdom behind having illegal items (such as starmaps) on a Hero Factory ship where anyone doing a routine check-over or repair could find them. But since the text doesn't imply it's illegal and I have no idea what in the world an illegal map would look like, I'm less bothered by this. The wording makes it sound like a bunch of fake maps which is puzzling and enchanting. I think I told off Onaku for having omniscience in detecting things, but since yours has a range and doesn't detect stealth, it sounds more standard fare for spaceships.

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. I wanted to make certain that the charging time was long enough to ensure that I could never feasibly use the drive during combat. Would four minutes be reasonable, or is that still on the long side?  :)

That sounds fine to me.

Onaku, I think you've missed the point entirely on the speed thing. The problem isn't that it's not her normal speed and she won't be using it unless in dire circumstances, the problem is that it's too fast to not be considered OP. If she can't use it without crashing into things or shattering apart (another possibility I forgot to mention last time), why have that as an option for her? Just choose a reasonable speed instead of a theoretical but ridiculously high one that will no doubt kill her long before she approaches it.

Either her speed needs to be reined in a tad, or she needs to be less... fragile? I'm not too worried about her speed being OP, to be honest (I can look at Flash comics to figure out ways to stop her, mwahaha), but like Zippy said, she needs to be able to survive using her own powers.

Jade Approved 2/3.

Gunship 479 Approved 1/3. I assume "less than legitimate" to mean that these maps contain unsafe/unauthorized starship lane coordinates, which, while not necessarily illegal to own, are probably a bad idea to have when you work for a glorified law-enforcement agency. I think the higher-ups would be more upset if Jade actively used these routes than whether or not she simply had their coordinates, and would probably get after her for endangering her passengers. Plus, there's always the danger that some rookie is going to find said maps and use them. Maybe nothing will come of her having them, but I like the character-development potential they pose.  :devil:

Edited by FallenCor

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

If standard HF dropships have em, then this one does too, ye.

I assume they must. How else would they get heroes around the galaxy in any reasonable amount of time?

Gunship 479 Approved x3. 

Okay so there are two things I'd like to clarify real quick:

1. Kathrine Scarlet's statement about core transplants should be treated as a spooky story told to rookies to mess with them and not canon fact.

2. Nato's Rune post might confuse people, but it's not currently morning in the HF RPG. It's still night. Rune's post is in the future. I've asked Nato about it, and he wanted to post with all his characters but didn't want to bother with having a "Rune is in Sleep Mode" post.

• Upvote 3

It's not in the future, it's in the present. It just happens that Rune's present is different to that of some other characters. 

RPG time is pretty malleable and nebulous, what with all of the timeskips and different locations and whatnot. Some of us thought it was day, initially, until it became clear that certain characters were explicitly interacting in a night setting. There's nothing wrong with different characters taking actions at different times, even if they're in the same location. Plenty of other RPGs do similarly, and once we get started with the actual missions I imagine times are going to start varying a lot more. 

The only real guidelines are to be reasonable, and not act like a jerk. If someone's character is doing something during the night, you can't have you daytime character stomp on up to them and imperiously proclaim that it's actually been sunny all along. Likewise, if your character is interacting with someone, then goes off and has a nap for a few hours or visits another location or something, they shouldn't be rejoining that interaction when only five minutes have passed for the other character. 

• Upvote 1

I get you, Nato, but typically that incongruous time thing comes from extended playing rather than straight up starting a character on the next day. I was just clarifying that the general time zone most people are playing in right now is still night, because I found it confusing and I wanted to let people know in case they found it confusing too.

Oh my, look at all of these people rolling up to watch Thumper's wrestling match.

Wouldn't it be an absolute shame if something went horrifically wrong during the fight... :evilgrin: :evilbiggrin: :evilmad:

• Upvote 2

With Vyle coming in, anything less than a situation leading up to Vyle removing his visor to reveal a luchador mask and challenging the two fighters in the ring would be A Disappointment.

Also, hang tight, everyone! The first mission will be starting shortly after Thumper's match, from what I understand. Get hype!

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Upvote 1

Then prepare to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry about that, Dallior! I have a really demanding uni schedule, so I've been out of the loop for a bit.

OOC: I don't think Vyle would have been able to walk in and buy tickets without any problems with his wearing a visor. It seems very suspicious for a guy to be completely concealing his face for no apparent reason when entering a crowded, popular event. Maybe just mention a brief explanation to the cashier?

Given our prior discussions off-site, I did perform the courtesy of leaving it open for someone to RP some security guards and intercept Vyle for an explanation instead of just launching right into what I was trying to do. 

That said, the Hero Factory universe is one of robots. And the funny thing about robots is that pretty much every robot of the same/similar make and model is going to look exactly the same. Even if you ignore the fact that people can probably have components of their faces replaced or altered, for the right price, facial recognition still isn't really a viable method of identifying people. 

Furthermore, if heroes can move in and out of public areas openly carrying weapons, and characters who have in-built blades, claws, etc. can apparently wander freely in public without being harassed every ten seconds, then I honestly don't see the issue posed by a fairly generic-looking robot who happens to be wearing a simple visor. 

So you're saying, anyone with a giant glowy H on their chest gets a free pass?

I suddenly have a great idea for a new villain. :evilbiggrin: