Set Review: 71316 Umarak the Destroyer

Umarak

Sometimes a bad guy just can't keep doing bad guy things without a little help. But he still wants to run solo, so the only thing to do is help himself...to a Mask of Control! Today we review Umarak the Destroyer, formerly known as Umarak the Hunter who hunted down a mask, put it on, and transformed into something beastly. Or at least, that's what the box art tells me. Read on, and watch, to see just what to expect in the latest iteration of our favorite Gen 2 Toa's unrelenting foe.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

How can you mark Umarak off for having "no weapons". Claws are literally weapons. They're designed to tear through flesh. Just because he doesn't have a sword or staff, doesn't mean he can't attack or fight, and I hate beasts and monsters that have weapons. IFB was a key offender.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to get my hands on him. I hope he's the Titan type of set I've been waiting for. If not, I'm looking forward to the combiner model of Umarak being as bulky as he seems to be. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Can't wait to get my hands on him. I hope he's the Titan type of set I've been waiting for. If not, I'm looking forward to the combiner model of Umarak being as bulky as he seems to be.

Having built the combi model recently... don't get your hopes up. It's a royal mess, with legs and arms that are hardly any longer than Umarak's default ones and a torso that has been stretched out. The default Umarak the Destroyer is a fine titan set, but the combi model left me feeling more disappointed than I have with any official Bionicle set or combi model in some time.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Having built the combi model recently... don't get your hopes up. It's a royal mess, with legs and arms that are hardly any longer than Umarak's default ones and a torso that has been stretched out. The default Umarak the Destroyer is a fine titan set, but the combi model left me feeling more disappointed than I have with any official Bionicle set or combi model in some time.

I was a little disappointed just from seeing the image of it a while back, so this is really no surprise to me.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

One of the few sets I like from Gen 2.

Not completely because of the design, but because of what this set is implying.

Umarak starts out as some type of treasure hunter, but then goes through a Ganondorf-esque transformation.

His power reaches such unspeakable levels that not only is he now called, "Destroyer", but he has also turned into something else entirely.

He is now a mindless beast with godlike power.

This set gives me a rather Cthulhu/Ganondorf vibe due to his design and name.

Because of his tampering with unspeakable power, he has become something unnatural and wrong.

An abomination with powers that mere mortals couldn't even begin to comprehend.

I get all these vibes simply from a slight name change and a large design shift.

This set just continues to impress me!

• Upvote 2

67685335.jpg             

One of the few sets I like from Gen 2.

Not completely because of the design, but because of what this set is implying.

Umarak starts out as some type of treasure hunter, but then goes through a Ganondorf-esque transformation.

His power reaches such unspeakable levels that not only is he now called, "Destroyer", but he has also turned into something else entirely.

He is now a mindless beast with godlike power.

You know, I felt like the "crafty villain into monstrous brute" transformation felt familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I recognized that from. Kind of surprising that I didn't, since I had already noticed loads of Legend of Zelda parallels in last year's sets and story: ancient temples (including a Temple of Time!), mask collecting, Protectors (sages), Skull Warriors (Stalfos), Skull Spiders (Skulltulas), and even a sort of a mini-boss dynamic for the various stronger foes the Toa faced in the City of the Mask Makers.

I'm certainly not complaining about these parallels, because they really do a good job reinforcing some of the stronger adventure elements of the classic Bionicle story. Makes me wish that Bionicle G2 had some Zelda-like video game or online game, since that could be a huge step towards making it feel more immersive.

Umarak the Destroyer definitely seems like "end boss" material, and while people can debate whether Umarak the Hunter qualifies as a titan set, Umarak the Destroyer leaves no doubt about it, with nearly as many pieces as Makuta from 2003 or Brutaka from 2006. The claw function is creative, and the general physique feels very unique. The head would probably feel more coherent if the lower jaw contrasted more with the chest plate (a criticism that could apply to all of the beasts, actually) , and I'm kind of disappointed this set doesn't have a spare Shadow Trap hinge and eye like Umarak the Hunter did (though I suppose you could just use the ones from that set, since they aren't a part of its build). Overall, I think Umarak the Destroyer is definitely an impressive set design!

• Upvote 2

I just got the set today, and this review has just made me want to get to building it even more. :P

It certainly looks like an impressive set, as it looks really cool with its claws as well as its trans-green and black color scheme. I can't wait to start building it.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Man, Umarak looks crazy epic! I love his trans-yellow pieces, including the spiked armor and Skull Spider leg ones, and claws! I like the new version of the Mask of Control, too.:D I'm glad he kept his Shadow Trap shoulder armor and the structure of his legs because they represent him.

I am a bit disappointed that he is gappy in his torso. Plus, it's too bad that you can't make a Shadow Trap out of his armor in this set. I guess I would have to borrow some parts from Umarak the Hunter set. I would to see what a Shadow Trap with trans-yellow legs. I'll bet it would look cool with them.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)