Let's face it, as unhappy as many of us were with the basic idea of a reboot (myself included), a continuation of the original storyline would've been implausible, as well as impractical purely from a marketing perspective. G1 got extremely tangled and deserved closure, but that is a different topic. Point is, there was never sense in bringing it back from where it left off.

However, I am personally still not content with many of the decisions behind the actual reboot and would like to extend a simple question to all of you:

How would you have made BIONICLE 2015?

Here's my best suggestion:

An alternate timeline of the original storyline with massive differences in major plot points during the Toa Mata's stasis inside the Codrex.

Granted, the entire "alternate universe" trope did become a bit overused in the last few years of BIONICLE, but bear with me. The basic idea (seemingly, at least) of the BIONICLE reboot was to recreate some of the key concepts of the first few years in a new an unseen environment with brand new characters, as well as (references to) old characters and locations.

If the idea of the reboot was to invent a premise for brand new sets with a slightly younger target than originally, the above proposal could have easily worked just as well and many of the old fans would surely have been equally excited about the story, if not more (and I'm betting it would've been more).

To better illustrate my idea, here is a sample plot I can think of off the top of my head:

The Toa Mata enter the Codrex and remain dormant for hundreds of thousands of years. During their stasis, Makuta Teridax plots to overthrow Mata Nui but conjures a slightly different plan than the one we know. He plays the good guy till the very end, possibly replaces Miserix as leader of the Brotherhood by "democratic" means instead of usurpation. Once Mata Nui reaches Bara Magna, he gives Makuta control over the smaller giant robot prototype. Together they begin to reassemble Spherus Magna and just as everything is going smoothly – WHAM! Makuta shoves Mata Nui forward and Bota Magna crushes his gigantic robot head instead.

Mata Nui – betrayed and murdered (or perhaps just comatose?) collapses on the surface of the newly reformed Spherus Magna and the ensuing cataclysm launches the Toa Mata out to the ocean of what was formerly Aqua Magna.

Drifting afloat for several hundred or thousand years, the Toa Mata are finally summoned by someone (why not Toa Takua?) and arrive on the shores of Bara Magna, where they assemble themselves and find the planet in turmoil. The old Mata Nui robot has been evacuated and everyone is living as best they can under the tyranny of Teridax. Perhaps the Skrall work alongside him? Who knows!

Perhaps a somewhat grim example, but I hope my point is clear. This is definitely the kind of reboot I would've loved to see. Old characters could've appeared with completely new roles and purposes. Every reference to the original storyline as well as every progression of the new timeline would've been a fantastic treat for every old fan.

And with the right approach, such a reboot could've still worked with the current means of brand communication (think slightly more childish commercials and storytelling).

What do you guys think? Let me hear your ideas.

• Upvote 1

I am very happy with how LEGO handled the reboot so there is not much I would change. I think Generation 2 is close to being a perfect reboot. The only two things I would change are:

I would give Bionicle back the Polynesian influences it had in 2001, 2002 and 2003 - less urban development (no cities, smaller and more simple temples) and a more ritualistic and tribal tone.

I would focus far more world building towards the individual regions and villages of Okoto, as well as to the protectors and villagers, giving them more individuality, like names or different masks, story, relationships and lore.

Other than that I think Generation 2 is pretty much what I would hope for in a reboot  :)

• Upvote 5

IhDIrLK.jpg

I'd like the reboot to be like it is now, except with more character development and better dialogue. (Including the villains and side characters.) No specific story arc per se, but referencing G1 a little more would be great. (What if there were four pillars sticking out of the ocean that happened to be the fingers of a long-ruined giant robot? ;) )

EDIT: Also, make the personalities of returning characters more faithful to the original series.

Edited by FrozenPancake_

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

I personally think G2 is great. I only have a few things in mind.

• Turn Pohatu's and all stone-elemental characters' Burned Orange into actual Mata Brown
  • Reduce the amount of silver, gold and trans across the board - more primary colors!
  • More budget turned towards story
  • Make summer waves as big as winter waves, giving each Toa their own enemy + a few extra characters (like Umarak and Ekimu, plus MOAR VILLAGERS)

That's it. Other than those small gripes, I really like the direction G2 is taking and wouldn't make any significant changes.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Like everybody else above, I think the G2 reboot that we have now is great. But, I would go with some things:

1. The Toa would start off as being in pieces until they assemble themselves.

2. Make a summer wave about as big as a winter wave, so the Toa can have their own group of enemies and give extra characters, like Ekimu, Lord of Skull Spiders, Kulta, and Umarak.

3. Give the side characters and villains more character development. The Skull Creatures were acting like video games enemies that you can take care off in a matter of seconds.

4. Make Pohatu act more like his G1 self.

If I were to think about a more different reboot, it would be either:

1. It would be similar to The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012-2014: Starting off with the similar beginning, but fighting new villains as first enemies. Along the way, there would be humor in some scenes. Things in the setting would be modernized, like having phones. In this case, the Toa Mata would arrive in the island of Mata Nui and be called the Toa Mata. Make the Turaga and Matoran of Mata Nui appear as side characters. The Toa would fight the Infected Rahi, the Skull Creatures, or some new enemy that we already know, like the Visorak as their first enemies.

2. The story would take place in the island of Mata Nui, where Toa are having war with the Brotherhood of Makuta, there are schools needed to train Toa to fight in there. Schools would be sort of like a mix of Sensei Wu's monastery from Ninjago and a school from the latest Mixels special this year. The Toa Mata would be the main characters and students, the Toa Metru or Turaga of Mata Nui as the teachers, and the Matoran be some other school job, like trainee or assistants. Imagine the Toa would take obstacle courses (like Wu's monastery) and would play dodgeball (perhaps in a form of Kohli. Lol) :P . I don't know who would be the villains to start with, but I would prefer any of the G1 ones or the Skull Creatures. Later, the Toa Inika Matoran and Takua, who would be trainees, would become Toa much later on and still attend school, but with other Toa and take classes with them, including the Toa Mata. Plus, again, give all these character development of you would want them to be people who work in a school.

So, there. What do you think?:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Good topic! I think there's a tremendous amount of potential in Okoto. Here's what I would do.

One more book/serial to (more or less) wrap up G1 as we know it:

- The Chronicler's Company are made into Toa-like beings by a Great Being  

- The Toa Chroma (or something, maybe Toa Magna) defeat the Golden Being and his Skakdi, freeing the Toa Mahri. 

- A jealous Ahkmou literally stabs Velika in the back when he is least suspecting it, killing him in the ultimate surprise move and in a fluky way. 

- The Chroma and Mahri defeat the Barraki

- The Chroma and Mahri defeat Marendar in the ultimate showdown

- The Red Star is destroyed forever, but a few select character escape to Spherus Magna. (CoughLhikanCough)

- The Toa Nuva are re-united and save Lewa

- This last saga ends with Ahkmou walking towards a huge fortress in the distance, with the The Shadowed One looking on from it's walls. This leaves the door open for what I think would be an epic eventual G3. Also, Vakama meets Lhikan.

My G2 idea: 

- With a new world being formed and the MU inhabitants being integrated with the Agori and Glatorian, the Toa Mahri stay to defend six new "Koro Magna", while the Toa Chroma search for several known remaining Toa. 

- The Toa Nuva meet the Great Beings. They reveal that the stars have revealed a cry for help in a distant world. Emotional goodbyes are said as the Nuva prepare to board special new canisters built by the great beings to take them to the distressed world. As they blast off into the sky, a great being reveals that they are destined to return to Spherus Magna one day. 

On Okoto, the Toa are much like their original Mata Nui selves. They have no memories, and they are far from united (much like 2001). The mask hunt and story remains the same, but with more interaction with the protectors and islanders.

Almost everything would be the same plot wise, but the Toa would have the same characteristics as the heroes we know and love. The mask of time would eventually be a link to Spherus Magna.

Soooooo, my G2 would have 

- The aforementioned story adjudstments.

- Canisters 

- Same Toa Nuva we know from G1, just wiped memories

- More significant new characters and deeper skull villains with more substance. 

As things are, I can't wait to see what TLG comes up with! I love the sets and I think in reality we couldn't ask for much better of a reboot.

(What if there were four pillars sticking out of the ocean that happened to be the fingers of a long-ruined giant robot? ;) )

Love this^

Edited by Hovoki Zehvor
  • Upvote 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaHFstqCK97bHNwpwztn_Q

Check out my YouTube channel for LEGO, YuGiOh and Pokemon videos!

I feel what we have is pretty good, most of what's missing is my child-self's sense of juvenile wonderment. :b

but the alterations i feel would benefit it are:

-longer 2015 episodes, the ones we got aren't bad, but they sure left very little for character interaction time.

-canon side-material that focuses on world-building (lets face it, MNOG was popular for a reason, it's a good thing!)

-more visible wildlife, perhaps another rahi beasts contest/book?

-consistant voice acting/characterization, the change in personality/vocal tone from 2015-2016 was one of the worst things we got so far.

-"big" enemies like Skull Basher and the beasts actually having height that at the very least matches the heroes. and-

-heroes who don't just keep getting taller, yikes.

so ya, mostly little stuff, i personally kinda dig Okoto so far.

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm pretty satisfied with G2 as it is. There are a couple of things I'd like to see though...

• A little more story material. Not much, mind, just something that goes into a little more depth about Okoto and Okotan culture/history - A guidebook to Okoto, maybe?
  • No more easter egg hunts for golden Toa masks. If this trope continues next year, I swear to god...
  • More cohesive set designs in 2017. I personally feel that this is a given, as to me 2016 is to Bionicle what 2011 was to Hero Factory - an experimental transition.
  • More individual, intelligent baddies. Umarak was awesome, and I'd love to meet more characters like him - maybe even a team of 'em.
  • No Sci-Fi evolution. Blasters and vehicles are fine, but they should stay in the science fantasy theme that's already established.
  • A McGuffin other than a mask would be interesting - Say, a mighty shield or sword.
  • No attachment to G1 (except references).
  • No ditching gear mechanisms. 
  • Less/no greeblebombing.
Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 4

• No more easter egg hunts for golden Toa masks. If this trope continues next year, I swear to god...

I don't necessarily agree with all your points, but this. THIS. I'm almost 100% convinced we'll get another mask hunt next year, and I'm really not looking forward to that. I didn't mind it that much in G1, given that we had a wide variation of masks, but now the unreasonable amount of golden masks is slowly starting to bother me...

-Iben

• Upvote 3

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

I don't necessarily agree with all your points, but this. THIS. I'm almost 100% convinced we'll get another mask hunt next year, and I'm really not looking forward to that. I didn't mind it that much in G1, given that we had a wide variation of masks, but now the unreasonable amount of golden masks is slowly starting to bother me...

-Iben

Yeah, it'd be much better if (if the next versions of the Toa get golden masks) they represented powered-up versions of their masks as opposed to separate masks.

I disagree to an extent. I really enjoyed the mask hunting, in the context that it was ultimately training a rookie team of Toa. There were obstacles and challenges. They could not get all of their masks alone. They were forced begrudgingly to co-operate, and it built into their character as they grew both individually as well as a team.

The story team promptly forgot this was the reason kids liked that in 2002 when suddenly they now had to get the Nuva masks even though they learned teamwork and they could share those powers after Krana for some reason?

The Reboot was clearly getting super ready to tell the story of the Toa getting their golden masks but only animated Tahu (with mixed results) and did a super short novelization on the rest.

"But Makaru, you Adonis and philosopher," I can hear you cry, "what would you have done?"

Honestly, all the groundwork was laid out really well. A mysterious and dangerous new island. Just... I dunno, tell that story? Give ample focus on each Toa's quest, and their progression. I loved the [criminally short] interactions in the book between the protectors and their Toa. We were subliminally tricked into thinking these characters were Turaga, only to be shown they were strong and capable. Give us more of them I guess?

• Upvote 8

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

-Iben

THIS. 

The golden masks are so oversaturated, they're hardly even special any more. :( If we got silver or bronze or something unique, it'd be a whole 'nother story. 

I mean, the Unity masks are essentially retools of the drained masks from last year, just for a different purpose. (They're still cool anyway. :P)

Yeah, it'd be much better if (if the next versions of the Toa get golden masks) they represented powered-up versions of their masks as opposed to separate masks.

That just so happens to be part of my headcanon! :miru:

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

I disagree to an extent. I really enjoyed the mask hunting, in the context that it was ultimately training a rookie team of Toa. There were obstacles and challenges. They could not get all of their masks alone. They were forced begrudgingly to co-operate, and it built into their character as they grew both individually as well as a team.

The story team promptly forgot this was the reason kids liked that in 2002 when suddenly they now had to get the Nuva masks even though they learned teamwork and they could share those powers after Krana for some reason?

I'm not saying I didn't want the golden mask hunting at all, but that I don't want to see it happen again, for the exact same reason why you think the Nuva mask hunt in G1 was silly.

Fair dues I just wanted to blather on about why I thought it made sense the first time and that G2 can still do That Thing because it hasn't even remotely approached happening yet.

Unless "I have the power" is a more broader statement than we were led to believe.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Regarding gold mask hunting, that doesn't seem to be as much of a focus in the unity sets. They pretty much find the masks as soon as they do the creatures so mask hunting doesn't feel as prominent.

I understand wanting to include both regular and gold masks with the uniters, so it doesn't seem as bothersome to me I guess.

The only way I can think of to make it better would be if the toa's masks just turned gold when they united with the creature rather than make it a separate mask. That's not so farfetched considering the gold masks toggle on and off in the graphic novels (from what I've seen.)

A continuation about a millennium into the future, based in or near New Atero. It could've been done with little reference to Mata Nui or he Matoran Universe.

• Upvote 2

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I had a really detailed idea of what it should be like, back in 2013 I made it up. New island, new "big secret", new villains, new heroes, but similar connecting points (Kanohi, elemental themed heroes, Great Beings, possibly protodermis). 5 heroes, not 6. It was a good idea: more connected to G1, but with fewer common characters- the new guys would have been the driving force behind this generation.

I love Makaru's reasoning regarding the mask hunt. It's almost as though they attempted to mimic G1 by reproducing the visuals, but the actual spirit of it went completely over their heads. The vibe is just... not there, and it's definitely not just nostalgia.

• Upvote 1

I love Makaru's reasoning regarding the mask hunt. It's almost as though they attempted to mimic G1 by reproducing the visuals, but the actual spirit of it went completely over their heads. The vibe is just... not there, and it's definitely not just nostalgia.

But perhaps the vibe of G1 isn't there because G2 gives off a completely different vibe to begin with; the spirit of G1 Bionicle is missing in order to create a new feel for this reboot.

For G1, I get a "it's happening right here, right now" vibe, whereas with G2 I get a "story being told as a legendary tale" vibe. G2 also brings in more of the magical and mysterious side to its story as opposed to focusing on scientific similarities (like Mata Nui being a giant computer system-robot-man-thingy). 

As for my kind of reboot, I think the reboot is fine the way it is, at least for me. The main story material is short and easy to work into my busy schedule as a college student, and the books are severely underrated and under appreciated. While the first chapter book and graphic novel are almost exactly the 2015 animations with a few interesting additions not seen on screen, the second chapter book and graphic novel offer new sides to the story and expand on points briefly covered beforehand.

If the main story mediums (as in the animations and Netflix show) aren't doing it for you, I suggest reading the books if you can.

• Upvote 2