Official BBC Contest #73: Brickin' It Old School

Official BBC Contest #73: Brickin' It Old School!

Bionicle G1 had a very distinctive look. You'll have a hard time finding anyone who wouldn't say that.

The question is, how are they saying it? Back in 2001 (and even now, a decade and a half later), that may have been the most polite thing your average AFOL had to say about it. Very... distinctive. It's... different. The less polite didn't mince words when it came to this theme that was going to ruin LEGO forever. It doesn't even look like normal bricks! They're just action figures! The pieces are all sorts of weird organic shapes!

Not everyone felt that way. Somebody forgot to tell a whole bunch of kids (and teens and open-minded adults) that you couldn't build anything with Bionicle. And wouldn't you know it, they were captivated by this unique theme. There were all these new pieces shamelessly mixing mechanical features like gears and pistons with organic structure and flow, not to mention a story full of characters and creatures. Over the years, people have built countless jaw-dropping MOCs that don't simply borrow a strange piece or two from Bionicle, but are build entirely from a theme so "impossible" to work with.

G2's taken copious notes from its predecessor, but put the modern design sensibilities aside for a second. Your theme this month is to build a MOC in the style of Bionicle from 2001-2010. Robot warriors should look like they live on an island in the middle of an interminable sea. Animals with very mechanical bits (like treads for hind legs, which everyone can admit is strange) are good. Those big, specialized pieces lurking in the bottom of your parts bin are your friends. Spiders have always had four legs.

We'll be upholding another tradition this contest, as the finalists will be showcased at Brickfair Virginia this August! Preliminary voting will take place on BZP later this month, after which the finalist MOCs are to be either shipped (at the builder's expense) or brought to the convention for display and the final round of voting. The voting will be split between a poll on BZP and on-site voting at Brickfair Virginia during the public days (Saturday and Sunday). Unfortunately, any finalist MOC that does not make it to Brickfair will not be in the final voting.

You've only got a couple weeks to go back in time, so what are you waiting for? Get building!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entries begin being accepted as soon as this topic is posted, and will stop being accepted on Tuesday, June 21st at 11:59 P.M. EST. We will accept unlimited entries for this contest, so there's no need to rush your entry. To enter, simply submit your entry name and entry picture through this handy form!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A running tally of entrants will be updated daily IN A SEPARATE PINNED TOPIC, which will be posted shortly after the first entries are received.

Voting Process:

Preliminary Voting begins June 23rd and ends June 26th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
Semifinal Voting begins June 26th and ends June 28th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
Final Voting begins August 6th and ends August 7th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on August 9th.

One voter from each poll will be randomly selected to win a McToran polybag from 2001!

Rules:

1) Your entry may not have been published prior to the start of this contest. You may make your own topic before submitting your entry through the official form, but you must submit through the form before the entry period ends in order to be officially entered. If, after posting your entry anywhere on BZP but before officially entering it (including the blogs), you modify it and then enter it, you will be disqualified. You may only start one topic for your entry. You can do pictures as normal in your own separate thread. If you need help posting pictures, please see this topic.

2) Don't PM the contest host unless you have to. Ask questions in this topic and the host or an assistant will answer it.

3) Painted parts are NOT ALLOWED. No non-LEGO parts. All other LEGO parts are fair game; however, for the most part, they should be Bionicle pieces and Technic pieces. Let's say, at least 75% of the MOC Bionicle/Technic parts. Pictures in which the appearance of the MOC has been edited in Photoshop or other editing software are also prohibited. If either method is used, the MOC will be disqualified. The background may be edited, as long as it does not alter the appearance of the MOC.

4) Only one entry per member. You cannot switch or modify models mid contest. Once you have entered, you may not "un-enter" your models and enter new or modified ones in their stead. You may opt to bow out of the contest for whatever reason but you cannot reenter under such a situation. If you get disqualified for any reason, you will not be allowed to reenter with another MOC in that contest.

5) Any flaming will result in disqualification from the contest. Competition is good if you keep it clean. Everyone play fair, NO WHINING, no insults. I reserve the right to DQ any entry at any time for any reason.

6) Absolutely, positively NO CHEATING! Anyone found to be cheating or even suspected of cheating will face immediate disqualification from this contest and will be banned from participating in future contests. They will likely also be banned from the site. Mods know this information, so you're not fooling anyone but yourself by thinking you can get away with it. We run a check on people with multiple accounts too, which is an offense that results in banning from BZP entirely, aside from the contest... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

7) No "this is unfair" posting. Some people have more parts, money, time, birds, gigs left on your hard drive, etc than others. That's life; we each have to do our best with what we have. Any excessive complaining may, at the judgment of the contest runner, disqualify you!

8) Discussion is encouraged. Feel free to ask questions about models you see or about the contest in general. This is for us, the BBC builders; let's have some fun with it.

9) The contest is open to all BZP members, and voting is open to all BZP members to participate in even if they did not enter a MOC. "Advertising" your MOC is fine by making a signature or avatar reminding people to vote for you, but mass-PMing is frowned upon and will just get you disqualified. Advertising your MOC in someone else's thread is also a major no-no. Spamming may result in proto loss or even post-count reductions, so don't do it.

Prizes:

First place will receive a 8548 Nui-Jaga. Second place will receive a 8563 Tahnok and 8554 Tahnok Va. Third place will receive a 8503 Scuba. First, second, and third place will also receive a Bionicle shirt in a size of their choosing, depending on size availability. Thanks to LEGO for the shirts!

Contest Hosts:

Tufi Piyufi
Black Six

Well, what are you waiting for? Get building already!

• Upvote 14
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

ah dang, i need to find my camera and also obtain means of shipping should i get that far but this seems p neat,

i am to take it that the idea is to avoid any overtly CCBS looking bits, but we won't be discounted for using technicy techniques that require post-2010 parts? o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Would a revamp of a G2 set - an actually good revamp, mind you - done in G1 style count towards this or no?

You can make any character you want, whether it's from the Bionicle canon or your own original idea, as long as it has the G1 feel.

Can a team of people work on one entry?

No, entries must be individual efforts.

Also are scenes allowed?

We will get back to you on this.

Does "in the style of" mean "use only parts from that era," "build something using any kinds of parts to build a revamp of something from that era," or some combination thereof?

You can use any LEGO parts you want, from G1 or G2 Bionicle, or Hero Factory, or Slizers, or Ben 10 or Galidor even. As long as 75% of the MOC is Technic/Bionicle, it's fine.

You can build any character or creation you want, as long as the design has an overall 'G1 feel.'

i am to take it that the idea is to avoid any overtly CCBS looking bits, but we won't be discounted for using technicy techniques that require post-2010 parts? o:

CCBS, while awesome, was not around during the original run of Bionicle. We are not banning or prohibiting you from using any CCBS parts, but just keep in mind how things looked back in the day.

EDIT: Oh, before I get working on it, are we allowed to use G2 pieces or should we just stick to G1?

You can use any pieces you want as long as the overall look is that of the original run of Bionicle.

I've already posted pictures of a MOC of mine, Pharaoh (in that one topic with the Quake 2 guns).  If I rebuilt him, could I enter him in the contest, or should I do an entirely different character?

Creations cannot have been posted online prior to the start of the contest. If you want to build a new MOC of a character you had created previously, that's fine.
  • Upvote 3

Let's see, do I want to spend my little free time making more of my comics, or building for wondrous prizes...

*pulls out dusty Bonkles bin*

Eeh, why not?

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Would a revamp of a G2 set - an actually good revamp, mind you - done in G1 style count towards this or no?

You can make any character you want, whether it's from the Bionicle canon or your own original idea, as long as it has the G1 feel.

Can a team of people work on one entry?

No, entries must be individual efforts.

Also are scenes allowed?

We will get back to you on this.

Does "in the style of" mean "use only parts from that era," "build something using any kinds of parts to build a revamp of something from that era," or some combination thereof?

You can use any LEGO parts you want, from G1 or G2 Bionicle, or Hero Factory, or Slizers, or Ben 10 or Galidor even. As long as 75% of the MOC is Technic/Bionicle, it's fine.

You can build any character or creation you want, as long as the design has an overall 'G1 feel.'

CCBS, while awesome, was not around during the original run of Bionicle. We are not banning or prohibiting you from using any CCBS parts, but just keep in mind how things looked back in the day.

EDIT: Oh, before I get working on it, are we allowed to use G2 pieces or should we just stick to G1?

You can use any pieces you want as long as the overall look is that of the original run of Bionicle.

I've already posted pictures of a MOC of mine, Pharaoh (in that one topic with the Quake 2 guns).  If I rebuilt him, could I enter him in the contest, or should I do an entirely different character?

Creations cannot have been posted online prior to the start of the contest. If you want to build a new MOC of a character you had created previously, that's fine.

Clarifying what I mean by scenes  

I was thinking of building a fighting scene it would be 2 mocs physically connected together

Also are scenes allowed?

Clarifying what I mean by scenes  

I was thinking of building a fighting scene it would be 2 mocs physically connected together

To answer what I thought your question was - you may have scenery to go along with your MOC as long as it abides by the 75% Bionicle/Technic rule.

To answer what your question is - the rules do not limit the number of characters that can be in your MOC.

Er, if I post the URL for a topic do I still have to post the URL for the photo? Just curious.

The main thing we need is the photo. The URL for the topic is secondary. If you do not provide a direct link to a photo your entry will be disqualified.

After all these years of fighting CCBS before slowly integrating it into my building style, you just had to go and do this, didn't you? :P

This should be a fun challenge! I can't wait to get started.

Okay, I think I have mine ready.

UPDATE: Here is my entry

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Okay, I think I have mine ready. UPDATE: Here is my entry

Make sure you submit your entry using the form in the first post.
Did it, now you can add my entry. Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

What's with this entry list text I see about mine being disqualified?

Either you accidentally forgot to add the photo, or it was a mistake

Do I just put in ( IMG_9899.JPG ) where it says to enter the Picture URL? If not, how do you find the URL of your photo? Sorry about my low knowledge of these kind of things.

The Chronicles of The Chronicler WIP.

Hey-O, I leik Jell-O

As it says on the entry list, your entry was disqualified for being a previously-posted MOC with only minor modifications. If you want to enter a modified version of something you've posted before, the changes have to be much more drastic.

One voter from each poll will be randomly selected to win a McToran polybag from 2001!

I was just re-reading the main post and noticed this. Is this new or did I just miss it in previous contests? Either way, it's a pretty neat way to encourage voting.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Do I just put in ( IMG_9899.JPG ) where it says to enter the Picture URL? If not, how do you find the URL of your photo? Sorry about my low knowledge of these kind of things.

You need to host the picture online and provide the full URL for the image. It should start with 'http://' and end with the file name of your image.

I was just re-reading the main post and noticed this. Is this new or did I just miss it in previous contests? Either way, it's a pretty neat way to encourage voting.

We've done this in other contests on BZP outside of the BBC forum. This is our first time trying it in a BBC contest.

As it says on the entry list, your entry was disqualified for being a previously-posted MOC with only minor modifications. If you want to enter a modified version of something you've posted before, the changes have to be much more drastic.

It was posted a year ago, I'd be fine with this issue if I'd do this with the two posts having a week difference, but literally a year passed, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people don't even remember how it looked previously. And I refuse to ruin my MOC that flows just fine with its current design. Plus making it a new foot design is a fairly noticeable change might I add, I wouldn't call it major, true, but it ain't minor either. 

Edited by Mate.397

It was posted a year ago, I'd be fine with this issue if I'd do this with the two posts having a week difference, but literally a year passed, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people don't even remember how it looked previously. And I refuse to ruin my MOC that flows just fine with its current design. Plus making it a new foot design is a fairly noticeable change might I add, I wouldn't call it major, true, but it ain't minor either.

It doesn't matter when the MOC was originally posted, just that it was. The point is that you're building something new as a response to the theme, rather than entering something you already had. As well, modifications of previous entries have always had to be drastic to count as new MOCs; it would require all-over changes to the point where it's basically a new MOC anyway. Changing the feet isn't enough. Your disqualification is not up for debate.

It doesn't matter when the MOC was originally posted, just that it was. The point is that you're building something new as a response to the theme, rather than entering something you already had. As well, modifications of previous entries have always had to be drastic to count as new MOCs; it would require all-over changes to the point where it's basically a new MOC anyway. Changing the feet isn't enough. Your disqualification is not up for debate.

It's funny you bring that up, because I recall a certain conversation a while back that had the same topic and there interestingly enough people were fine with re-using their older creations in more recent contests. But whatever, not like I really cared about the prizes as I already have those. I was interested how my Protodermis Entity would hold up among the rest of the entries in the end.

Edited by Mate.397

Oooh boy. And I just cleaned my work area. It's time to make it messy with parts!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Regarding the 75% Technic/25% System split; is that based on the number of parts used? I'm thinking of building something which has a lot of Technic stuff (gear mechanisms, chassis etc) under the hood, but a considerable amount of System on the surface.

Also, are liftarms with studs/standard bricks with Technic holes considered System or Technic?

Edited by Disty says hi