Set Review: 71313 Lava Beast

71313_Lava_Beast_Review_teaser.jpg

Today our 2016 summer Bionicle sets reviews carry on with a look at another of the vicious beasts. BZPower Blog Assistant Ta-metru_defender takes a look at 71313 Lava Beast, the second of the creatures we're sharing our thoughts on. Will the set get you all fired up to go to the store? Or will you be better off passing on the set like a hot potato? Check out our text and video reviews to find out!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Interesting review, and it differs a bit from the opinion I see often posted in the BIONICLE community. Lava Beast is currently liked most for his wonderful color scheme, interesting and distinct silhouette, and his overall imposing physique. Truthfully, your "just meh" criticism is more deserving of Quake Beast, compared to this quite arguably great set.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Interesting review, and it differs a bit from the opinion I see often posted in the BIONICLE community. Lava Beast is currently liked most for his wonderful color scheme, interesting and distinct silhouette, and his overall imposing physique. Truthfully, your "just meh" criticism is more deserving of Quake Beast, compared to this quite arguably great set.

love the color scheme. I just find him a bit boring overall. Hence the meh. He's cool, but nothing grabs me.

I think you've misinterpreted the wings; they aren't intended to be standalone wings so much as wing fingers for his arms. His entire arm is a wing. With that in mind, the blades being attached to his hands makes far more sense than to his arms or something.

:notsure:

Edited by Ta-metru_defender

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Man, I really wasn't feeling Lava Beast ever since the first reveal. Running through all the images before reading just confirmed my "yup, definitely not interesting" vibe. Reading the review reinforced them either.

I really don't get why everyone else seems to be so hot about this set. I'm not even seeing the parts-appeal here, that neck is worse than UtD's and the whole thing just seems uncool to look at.

Oh well, opinions.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Man, I really wasn't feeling Lava Beast ever since the first reveal. Running through all the images before reading just confirmed my "yup, definitely not interesting" vibe. Reading the review reinforced them either.

I really don't get why everyone else seems to be so hot about this set. I'm not even seeing the parts-appeal here, that neck is worse than UtD's and the whole thing just seems uncool to look at.

Oh well, opinions.

:kakama:

The neck is actually one of the set's strong points because it's the most posable of any of the beasts—the others have less posability for their heads because of the ways their necks are constructed, but that's not as much of an issue for Lava Beast. I have to agree about the rest of the set though—the build is fairly generic, the function works well but is hardly impressive, and the color scheme is the worst out of all the summer sets.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree that Lava Beast isn't one of my favorite sets of the 2016 summer wave, but I do think he has some interesting Lego pieces. So for anyone who just wants the parts for MOCing purposes, they could find a lot to like with Lava Beast. 

But I'm not one of those people, so I probably won't be getting it unless there is a really good sale on it. 

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Thanks for the review! I recently picked him up for the parts, but was surprisingly pleased with the model itself. He REALLY looks better in person. I feel like of his legs were just a little bit meatier, he could be one of the most aesthetically pleasing villains in a long time.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated.