BBC 73 : Regal Guard - Riot Division

Makaru

27537366722_ec4895f84d.jpg

A ground-based unit specializing in law enforcement, used only in the most dire of civil unrest.

While considered a relic these days, the Riot Guard is still a staple of the Monarchy's iron-clad rule. This particular unit, designated Ophelia-Prime, has the most decorated and extensive career record, and was chosen by The Monarch to serve as Her Personal Royal Bodyguard.

The Riot Guard is a technical marvel, requiring no maintenance during their entire service history. The inventor behind their creation disappeared long ago, and no record exists of their design or his fate. However, citizens have been known to whisper every rumor between mad science gone wrong and corporate ninja assassinations.

Entry for BZPower's BBC# 73: Brickin' It Old School!

The purpose of the contest was to build something visually from the early 2000s. Former BBC moderator Jinzoningen 73 used to make all these different types of robots called Riotfleas. I wanted to use this contest to celebrate the weirdness that was these MOCs and others, mixed with a lot of the ways I have improved since then.

There are a few liberties being taken here of course,  but I feel it captures a lot of the iconic styles that existed when the BBC forum was thriving with all sorts of wacky and cool ideas!

Flickr Gallery

~Makaru~

• Upvote 6

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Quite a bit of unorthodox building styles going on here.  I like it!

Say, when you say "unit", do you mean it's a mechanical drone?  Maybe a mecha?

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

You see, I was GOING to enter, but now... lolnope. :P

Great job as usual, Makaru! I love all of the unusual building techniques, especially that swivel-waist.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Say, when you say "unit", do you mean it's a mechanical drone?  Maybe a mecha?

There is a squadron of similar units in the Riot Division. This one here is merely Ophelia, who has been promoted beyond them as a bodyguard.

I mean I guess? I half-baked a story for funsies loosely based on old BZP BBC pop-culture and history.

Still, while I understand why they are there, the wing pieces on his chest feel out of place.

No I totally understand. If I had my way, I would have used the head feathers from the old Islander sets if I had more!

You see, I was GOING to enter, but now... lolnope.

Naw, you got it all wrong. Prizes and winning are neat, but it's building to the theme that's super fun and worthwhile. This challenge forced me to build outside of a comfort zone, and that in itself is worth it. Besides, the contests are always more fun the more entries there are!

(Besides, when the chips are down I do notoriously terrible in the polls)

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler Alert

Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about the brick-built elements here, but the rest of it is very well done. Considering that in G1 we didn't have much in the way of brick-built things (discounting the short lived playsets) and since it didn't specify if we could or could not use traditional bricks I am unsure, but since I used some system based leaf pieces on mine I guess it's alright. Regardless best of luck to you!

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 4 weeks later...

Nice creation but let me guess, asidefrom the riotfleas concept, is it inspired by the fact that Tufy Pyufi likes Puffin birds  :P ?

Absolutely not, and any accusations that I am currying favors to the contest host in the form of bribes is absolutely astonishing and I will not stand for it.

Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about the brick-built elements here, but the rest of it is very well done. Considering that in G1 we didn't have much in the way of brick-built things (discounting the short lived playsets) and since it didn't specify if we could or could not use traditional bricks I am unsure, but since I used some system based leaf pieces on mine I guess it's alright. Regardless best of luck to you!

I understand where you are coming from, and I agree that the system does put a bit of a disconnect in a G1 feel. I felt it was acceptable to include as we were awkwardly shoving in system bits in our MOCs figuring things out, and I wanted to honour that as well. Also I really love the way the head turned out. I am terrible at building good heads for stuff and here is the best one I've ever put together.

Spoiler Alert

Yeah, I can definitely see a bit of the Riotflea aesthetic. Really miss seeing those things around.

I think it could probably have used some orange on the arms, if you could have found a piece in the arm assembly that could have been that shade of orange instead - and I'm not sure any of the pieces you used there come in orange, so that's that. The... spear? glaive? naginata?... polearm, is very nicely-made - simple, as any combat weapon ought to be, while fitting both the overall design and the target aesthetic for the contest.

Also, I love the tiny chest-wings. Part of the livery for Regal Guards, I assume.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom