Strawpoll - What are your thoughts on G2 Bionicle?

I was at ToysRUs recently, and they claimed they got the rights to have all the sets just there and Lego's online store. 

But yeah. I REALLY like the Gen2 sets, but I have not read the books. I might give one a try, but I'm worried I might just like the line even less, as I'm an AFOL.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

Only the AFOLs are fans of bionicle. I think Lego is starting to realize this and only releasing bionicle sets online, which is understandable if it's not doing well.

This is one of the most patently absurd claims I've ever heard, and I doubt it could be any further from the truth if you tried.

The Bionicle Facebook page alone is FULL of kids (and their parents) posting comments and asking questions about Bionicle. Go to any Lego convention and talk to kids who visit the Bionicle table on the public days—there are plenty of kids who will stop and discuss the sets, the story, and the MOCs on display, asking questions and sharing their own opinions and theories. Heck, if you think you can take the ridiculous text colors, formatting, and overuse of emoticons, check some of the Bionicle topics on the Lego Message Boards—there are a good number of older fans, but a huge number of younger fans as well (sure, ages obviously aren't listed, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that many of the members there are fairly new to the internet, and I doubt members who claim in their signatures that they'll be away at Boy Scout camp until July have passed into adulthood).

Also, I recently heard that the Lego brand retail stores also won't be selling the summer Lego Friends sets, with them being online-only as well. I doubt you could argue that only AFOLs like Lego Friends (well, maybe you could, but you'd still be wrong).

• Upvote 8

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Lego is actually cutting all supplementary bionicle products, as we have yet to recieve another monthly Lego shop promotional gift, the story of this year has been even less interesting and so much more bland than it was in 2015. Just look at the website and see what I mean. So much less story material, and more of "Products" section. This is why kids can't get into bionicle. They literally are depending on the novels to tell the story of bionicle. Some of us can't get those books, but would like to know the bionicle story. This is why the line isn't doing well...Not trying to be a genwunner, or "pessemist" but I feel very strongly that they haven't done nearly as much with bionicle as they tried to hype it up to be.

Also, in response to the past two replies, I will repeat again. I have been finding ZERO PERCENT bionicle sets in ANY supermarket around here. It's because they know they can't sell bionicle and don't even bother to restock them.

First of all, when has any theme other than City or Creator gotten more than one promo set inside of two years?

Secondly, this has nothing to do with story quality or accessibility. If G2 really was dying we would never have gotten Journey to One, the books would be cancelled, and they wouldn't bother translating the promo magazine into English. The fact that Lego is spending so much money to promote the theme is far more solid evidence for success than what the local grocery store happens to have in stock.

You literally need to go back and actually read what I wrote. Not all of us have Netflix, not all of us can get the ever elusive books.

And, on top of that, Journey to One was TERRIBLE. There were some cool visuals sure but that's because it's bionicle, otherwise, that show was a cringefest for the ages. It really deserves the 2 star rating it has. They are just glorified webisodes, which offer no more story detail than I would have gotten from reading the bland website.

It doesnt have a two star rating, IMDB Has an everage 4/5 stars, while a vast majority of the reviews for it on netflix give it a 4 or 5 star rating. I dont where you got two stars from.

• Upvote 1

I was at ToysRUs recently, and they claimed they got the rights to have all the sets just there and Lego's online store. 

But yeah. I REALLY like the Gen2 sets, but I have not read the books. I might give one a try, but I'm worried I might just like the line even less, as I'm an AFOL.

My local lego store isn't even selling bionicle anymore and they reduced the price of the star wars constraction sets that came out earlier this year

I voted for option number 1 - that I love Bionicle Generation 2 as a whole  :)

This means that I love both the sets and the story. The sets are in my opinion as good as the better sets of Generation 1 and even better than the worse sets of Generation 1. So if I were to make it an average Generation 2 would even be slightly superior to Generation 1, but I don't think that averaging in this case would do the sets justice, because it aren't the worse sets that stay in your memory, the thing that stays with you for the rest of your life are the best sets, those, to which you have formed a truly personal and emotional attachment. And as I said before the Generation 2 sets and the better Generation 1 sets are equals so in my opinion set wise Generation 1 and Generation 2 are equals - both are masterpieces and far better than anything any other LEGO theme ever produced  :)

As to the story, I think that the Mata Nui saga of Generation 1 (2001, 2002, 2003) was better than Generation 2, but I also think that Generation 2 is better than the Metru Nui saga (2004, 2005), the Ignition saga (2006, 2007, 2008) and the Bara Magna saga (2009, 2010). This time if we average it out, the story of Generation 1 and the story of Generation 2 are equals. The idea behind the Mata Nui saga, namely to combine high tech robots with a tropical island and Polynesian folklore style tribe culture, was in my opinion the single most brilliant idea in the history of fiction on this planet. None of the greats of literature, about whom we learned at school, came even close to create such a brilliant concept. Generation 2 took most of this and expanded on it, which is why I rate it so high. The only two drawbacks were that there wasn't the world building of secondary elements (villagers, villages, flora, fauna, locations of the island) that made the Mata Nui saga such a rich place to explore and that they seemed to minimize the influenced of Polynesian folklore (indeed to me it looks like much of the polynesian folklore was replaced by Mayan folklore - for example the settlements are far larger and well developed, showing signs of Mesoamerican architectural styles as opposed to the few simple huts of the Mata Nui saga, reminiscent of a remote Polynesian island).

But on the other hand the story is still simpler and the locations and characters are more iconic than those in the other three sagas of Generation 1, which is why I rate the story of Generation 2 higher than anything of Generation 1 that came after 2003. Now I would like to note that I love all the sagas of Ganeration 1 - even the Metru Nui saga, which I liked the least of all of Bionicle, was still awesome, it's just that it had the least iconic features. On the other hand the iconic nature of Generation 2 is surpassed only by the iconic value of the Mata Nui saga (again in my opinion). Some people don't like that Generation 2 is relatively simple, but to me that is an asset, since elaborate simplicity has, in my opinion, a higher artistic value than even the most complicated of complexity. Some people think it isn't dark enough, but I think the leveled village in the trailer of the newest episodes of Journey to One is quite dark and besides, this is a LEGO kid's theme, it can be a bit dark, but not too much. Even though I will celebrate my 27. birthday this year, I wouldn't like a Bionicle where Kulta leads the Skull State and where Skull Warriors chop off the heads of Okoto villagers and scream Makuta Akbar! The thing I, and many other forumers, like about Bionicle is that it lets us explore our "inner child". AFOLs mostly don't want an "adult LEGO", they want a kid's LEGO because it allows them to relive beautiful memories they had with it as kids. And I am one of them  :)

So to put the long story short, I think that Generation 1 and Generation 2 are equals both set wise and story wise and I love them both. Even though Bionicle is the only LEGO theme I truly like, I like it more than any other franchise on this planet. It will forever have a special place in my heart - both of the generations. I am looking forward what sets and story the upcoming years will bring. Now I know what jokes circulate about hardcore fans but I never really cared so I have no problems to admit that Bionicle is a large part of my identity and lifestyle - it was in Generation 1 and it is in Generation 2  ;)

• Upvote 2

IhDIrLK.jpg

I like G2 as its good but its an amazing work on how they introduced it again with a New York Comic Con panel and the big Mask of Creation that i really don't know where it is now but it looked amazing i remember even the time that BioSector added the G2 Mask of Creation image in Artakha profile now its not like that anymore but that's something i wanted to share the thing is Lego did a good job with the Hype of the line and i do admit that the first year of G2 the only thing i don't like is the site well its kinda fixed this year but i still don't like the website as much. Now i do like the newer story with the bigger media presence i feel that the story of Bionicle has been better distributed in G2 why cause the books of G2 where only side story's now we do also have the Comic like books that i do like and prefer them to the books as there hardcover and they add stuff to the canon and now we have the Netflix series a first for Bionicle and they've done a good job with it also i do have my times that i can say WHY in the series but i mostly say ok later on like Kopaka acting like a hyperactive kid in one moment and why is Pohatu not serious in the series but in everything else the series is good i like the art stile and i really thing that the Bionicle series is better than the HF series i almost forgot the 2015 animations for me did not see cheap i mean the 2001 and 2002 animations you had to read it at least in the 2015 ones you had someone say everything. The games aren't bad but i wish there was some simple flash games for the new site. The sets are awesome as there quite an amazing work when HF was out the hero sets never seemed to use the full potential of CCBS but now with the Bionicle reboot the builds using that system are complex and the 2016 ones proved and basically said CCBS is by any means NOT BAD well those are my thoughts.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I can't really say that I'm a fan of the the Toa or the Skull villains, but some of the more recent stuff has really impressed me, particularly the creature of Water and Umarak the Destroyer. All the creatures in general are pretty good. I think I'm definitely more of a fan of the Creature part of CCBS than the Character part. I really have nothing good to say about the story though, so G2 is a big mixed bag for me.