Strawpoll - What are your thoughts on G2 Bionicle?

Hey guys! The overall opinion of G2 Bionicle across the fanbase is rather divided, so I thought it'd be interesting to make a Strawpoll to try and gauge what people from multiple communities (Facebook, Eurobricks, BZPower, The TTV Forums, Flickr) feel about the line. The poll is as displayed;

e80a16dabde2156b59440c5efe583efc.png

To submit your answer, click here. If you don't wish to answer (or already have) and wish to view the results, click here.

Once you've answered, please feel free to share the poll elsewhere to help get a larger sample size. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I went with 1.

*toa fist bump of brotherhood*

All the way. While I still prefer G1 slightly, comparing 10 years of content with 2 ain't fair, and on its own, G2 is baller.

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I went with 1.

*toa fist bump of brotherhood*

All the way. While I still prefer G1 slightly, comparing 10 years of content with 2 ain't fair, and on its own, G2 is baller.

:kakama:

UNITY! Ha ha!

Comparing one lifetime to another still living is fruitless for both parties in the end, so why judge the second generation to the first? Apples and Oranges...

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I went with option 5. "I like the sets, but not so much the story."

Let me start by saying that the set designers knocked it out of the park with the Masters. It's hard to overstate how much I like those sets-- they're everything I ever wanted from G1. Bright colors, near-perfect articulation, recognizable masks... The Masters KILLED IT. The rest of the 2015 sets were pretty good, too-- the Protectors were great, the Skull baddies were odd but had their charms, and MMvSG was the cherry on top of a fantastic year of sets. The 2016 sets have been less to my liking (they went overboard with the "technic" this year), but overall they get the job done.

As for the G2 story, I get that they're taking a much more hands-off approach as compared to G1, but I still feel that it could be better. The animations (both web and Netflix) were great in terms of visuals, but the voice acting and simplicity leave room for improvement. There are a lot of points I'm still not clear on-- what makes a golden mask so much better than a regular mask? What does the Toa-Creature unity link actually do? Did Umarak put the Mask of Control on by his own accord, or did Makuta force him to? Add to that a good share of cliches and stale humor, and despite my enthusiasm, I couldn't help but feel that the animations as a whole fell short of the mark.

That said, maybe there's some truth to the argument that it isn't fair to compare 1-2 years of G2 story to the entirety of G1. I started out very optimistic and patient in regards to the G2 story, hoping that we would soon get some real meat to sink our teeth into, but I guess I'm just wondering how much longer I'm going to have to wait. I'm not trying to bash G2-- I just want it to be the best it can be. :)

Edited by Disciple
  • Upvote 2

I would go with #2 because I feel that the story needs to be worked on. I mean, Skull Creatures as just video game minions, time constraints in the 2015 webisodes, some minor characters have little to no character development, and two episodes from Bionicle's first TV series, The Journey to One, telling the first half of the 2016 storyline? Seriously? I wish things in the story could've gotten more extended.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I said I like G2 as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm a G1 type of guy, but there were some things I really liked about G2. Lego tried to create a fresh new start with one of its most successful themes, creating an innovative toy and an interactive story for a younger demographic while at the same time respecting the fans of the first run, and it worked. The new sets were very revolutionary, in terms of the aesthetics of a Toa. They managed to pull of a concept that the Toa Metru tried to demonstrate, maintaining a balance of form and function. You could swing a Toa's arms upside down, and you would still be able to pose and articulate the arms without it falling down. Not only this, but they also looked amazing. The 2015 sets displays striking resemblances to the Toa Mata we grew up with in 2001, which is considered good in my books. Even the recent 2016 uniting mechanism worked out very well, improving the concept which the Toa Nuva tried to demonstrate in 2008. However, the reason why I like, and not love these sets, is because they do not have the same complexity in most of G1's sets. Maxilos and Spinax are a perfect example. However, G1 had simplistic and tedious builds in themselves.

This is just my opinion, as with everything I had said thus far, but I think it's completely unfair to compare G1's story with G2's. Why? Simple, because both stories are made for different young demographics of different generations. In other words, the kids from 2001 are different compared to the ones from 2015, if you tried to display G1's story to the kids of 2015, they are going to be confused; therefore, they are left uninterested and Lego wouldn't make much money. Most kids today want simplicity; they don't want the old stuff, they want the most tredning thing. To be successful, Lego has to appeal to their target audience, which is mostly children. This is something you have to consider. The older things have passed away, the children of 2001 have grown, Lego knows this. Now, they have to meet the demands of a new generation of children, so they could keep their reputation as one of the biggest toy industries in the world. If they don't do these thing, then they would suffer from more financial stress for the first time since the late 90's, and I believe they wouldn't make that sacrifice just to meet the demands of a generation they they need to move on from.

So yeah, it wouldn't be right to compare the two stories. G2's story isn't that bad anyways. it's actually alright for the new generation.

It's even getting to an interesting point with the uniting thing.

• Upvote 2

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

I chose option 1.

From the responses I've seen in this thread, I'd like to bring up something I've seen not only here, but in other parts of the community as well.

When I say I love G2 as a whole, I mean as a whole. This includes the sets, animations, artwork, and the most underrated materials, the chapter books and graphic novels. I constantly tell people to who say the story is too simple based on the animations to read these materials, as they give them a little bit of what they want: world building, characters that feel real and believable, suspense, etc. At the very least, I get those from the books, but the feelings may vary from one person to another.

I just wish that I could talk more about the story itself on this site. I constantly see people complain that "there isn't enough material" or "this/that one-second thing in the animation is stupid in my eyes" rather than actually talking about the story and its events. The books give a proper wrap to the 2015 story with Revenge of the Skull Spiders and explore past stories in further detail in Battle of the Mask Makers. It really stinks that no one talks about any of the story material from the books, as they are G2's best hope at roping people into its world.

Tl;dr: I love G2 and think that people should read all of the books before complaining about how a simplistic story is, supposedly, a bad thing.

Edited by FordianL at the BCC
  • Upvote 3

I just wish that I could talk more about the story itself on this site. I constantly see people complain that "there isn't enough material" or "this/that one-second thing in the animation is stupid in my eyes" rather than actually talking about the story and its events. The books give a proper wrap to the 2015 story with Revenge of the Skull Spiders and explore past stories in further detail in Battle of the Mask Makers. It really stinks that no one talks about any of the story material from the books, as they are G2's best hope at roping people into its world.

Fair point. I just requested that my library order copies of the new books, so I'm hoping to dive into those pretty soon. :)

I don't like G2 because Lego didn't put forth nearly as much thought or effort as the original, and it shows. At this point and time I've given up on bionicle G2 because the story is just that bad. The sets are OK, but all they are is OK. They put in decent time money and effort into the original years and they have yet to make the G2 story even remotely interesting. On its own G2 is bland and unsatisfying, if it were a continuation of the original story it might have done it some justice, but they can't fix what's already happened. I remember feeling so empty and alone because Lego would never release anymore details of their new bionicle story, and now they've lost a customer, and possibly many many more. I still haven't seen walmart restocking bionicle. People, the line is doing worse than you think.

I'm indifferent to G2 as a whole I guess. That's probably the best answer I can give. I tried to get into G2 back when it hit the shelves, and sporadically attempted to repeat that as time went by. Kept finding myself out of time, flaking or procrastinating doing things related to it, so I'm not really close enough to the entire shebang. I do dig the set designs and the like though. They're real rad; LEGO did a pretty swell job on them, I'd say.

• Upvote 1

I don't like G2 because Lego didn't put forth nearly as much thought or effort as the original, and it shows. At this point and time I've given up on bionicle G2 because the story is just that bad. The sets are OK, but all they are is OK. They put in decent time money and effort into the original years and they have yet to make the G2 story even remotely interesting. On its own G2 is bland and unsatisfying, if it were a continuation of the original story it might have done it some justice, but they can't fix what's already happened. I remember feeling so empty and alone because Lego would never release anymore details of their new bionicle story, and now they've lost a customer, and possibly many many more. I still haven't seen walmart restocking bionicle. People, the line is doing worse than you think.

Have you read the books or graphic novels at all? They go into a lot more detail with the story than the webisodes and JtO have done. If you haven't, I must say that your pessimism is misplaced.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 4

I went with option 4. 

Overall, I've liked the sets that have been released with Gen 2 Bionicle over the last two years. There have been some sets I've liked more than others, but even the ones I like the least have some interesting Lego pieces to make up for the set as a whole.

As for the story, I admit that it hasn't kept my attention as much as the Gen 1 story. Though that may be from me being older. :P

Regardless, I think that the books and graphic novels have done a good job of fleshing out the Gen 2 story. Battle of the Mask Makes gave up a look at Okoto's past as well as Ekimu and Makuta's friendship at the time. Revenge of the Skull Spiders gave the Protectors some much needed development. Both the Gathering of the Toa graphic novel and first half of Island of Lost Masks gave us some stories about the Toa while they searched for their Golden Masks. All of them added to the Gen 2 story in some way.

As for the webisodes, while they were not perfect, they at least looked good animation wise and gave us some entertaining scenes. (I still haven't seen the Netflix series, so I don't make an opinion on it yet.)

The point is, they've all done a good job of giving us more history about Okoto as well as some interesting stories IMO. Like I said, it hasn't kept my attention as much as Gen 1, but I still think its good for what it is.

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I chose option 1.

From the responses I've seen in this thread, I'd like to bring up something I've seen not only here, but in other parts of the community as well.

When I say I love G2 as a whole, I mean as a whole. This includes the sets, animations, artwork, and the most underrated materials, the chapter books and graphic novels. I constantly tell people to who say the story is too simple based on the animations to read these materials, as they give them a little bit of what they want: world building, characters that feel real and believable, suspense, etc. At the very least, I get those from the books, but the feelings may vary from one person to another.

Tl;dr: I love G2 and think that people should read all of the books before complaining about how a simplistic story is, supposedly, a bad thing.

Oh I'm sure a lot of world-building and characterization is done, but sometimes I'm left with questions that I don't think will be answered. Where did the labyrinth of control come from? What were the skull creatures when they were alive? Snags like that make me question the G2 story's integrity.

• Upvote 1

Oh I'm sure a lot of world-building and characterization is done, but sometimes I'm left with questions that I don't think will be answered. Where did the labyrinth of control come from? What were the skull creatures when they were alive? Snags like that make me question the G2 story's integrity.

This page released on Bionicle.com back in March explains where the Labyrinth of Control came from, and the next chapter book seems like it will go into the origins of the Skull Creatures.

• Upvote 3

I love the sets, they have some of the best functions and unique builds we have ever had. The story is okay, can be done better. Maybe timing the release of books/comics better with the new sets would help. 

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I went with number 1.

The story needs work but the plot is nice to follow and I think that G2 uniter sets are some of the best sets out of all Bionicle.

(Note only G1 titan sets in my opinion had the same building surprise/feel to the Toa Unity.)

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

This page released on Bionicle.com back in March explains where the Labyrinth of Control came from, and the next chapter book seems like it will go into the origins of the Skull Creatures.

The description of the labyrinth feels like a bit of a cop out, but it looks like we will have the skull creatures explained so I'll give the story that.

The description of the labyrinth feels like a bit of a cop out, but it looks like we will have the skull creatures explained so I'll give the story that.

"Cop out" or not, it's more explanation than we ever got for the origins of the Kini-Nui, outside of direct answers from Greg years after its introduction. For that matter, it wasn't until 2008 that we learned the origins of the Bohrok. So it's kind of weird to treat not knowing the full backstory of the Toa's enemies or Okoto's landmarks as "snags". Frankly, we've gotten a lot more backstory for G2 than we had in the first couple years of G1.

• Upvote 5

-Snip-

"Cop out" or not, it's more explanation than we ever got for the origins of the Kini-Nui, outside of direct answers from Greg years after its introduction. For that matter, it wasn't until 2008 that we learned the origins of the Bohrok. So it's kind of weird to treat not knowing the full backstory of the Toa's enemies or Okoto's landmarks as "snags". Frankly, we've gotten a lot more backstory for G2 than we had in the first couple years of G1.

I say it counts as a cop out because the explanation replaces the mystery of where the labyrinth of control came from, with the mystery of why did they build it in the first place. Did they build a giant shifting maze to contain something else? if so what happened to that thing?. Why are these undead monsters taller than the villagers? Were Okotoan's taller in the past?.

In G1 it was heavily suggested we would get answers to some of the questions (The Bahrag's rant as they were defeated hinted we'd get an answer about them later), because mystery was a key part of G1 Bionicle. However yes you could say how we got those answers was sub-par. G2 is less mystery focused so we get a lot more answers immediately, but anything that does not get answered is suspect to not getting answered at all.

Edit: I should state that as I said these are just snag's and that I am okay with G2's story overall. I just worry about these questions.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

I took this poll when I saw it on Tumblr earlier and had a thought...

How detailed does Strawpoll let you get with the data you collect? It might be cool if there were some variant options--what site you spend most of your time discussing Bionicle on, what you do most in terms of Bionicle discussion...

Seeing whether or not people like G2 compared to G1 is cool, but it might be even cooler to see how opinions stack up on BZPower vs Eurobricks vs Tumblr, or how MOCists vs G1 story theorists vs fanfic writers vs collectors see things! Maybe if Strawpoll can't do this stuff I'll look into making a similar poll with Google Forms because I'm curious now.

Anyway though, I love G2's sets and its story is alright IMO, so I said I like G2 overall.

• Upvote 1

I chose option number four. I've really enjoyed the G2 sets and their intricacy, and while basic, I have had fun with the story thus far; and while I might think it could be better than G1, it's not those reasons I've liked G2 thus far. Rather, I've enjoyed G2 as much as I have due to the fan community. I came back to BIONICLE in the spring of 2014 because of what I can only describe as teenaged nostalgia for childhood, and the sense of excitement and community from the first leaks while I was at SDCC was honestly my best experience on the internet thus far. While I don't talk much, I felt like I was a part of something. I know that the his fandom can be very negative and cynical of the new line, but I can tell it's out of love for BIONICLE rather than hatred. Anyway, I think the sets and story overall are great, but I do have some minor issues with them that prevents me from enjoying them, particularly the seemingly contrasting design choices between both years and the shallowness of the story especially early on in the year.

• Upvote 2

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

It got me into collecting Lego sets again, cause the sets are amazing - but the story isn't quite there. Option 2 for me.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Have you read the books or graphic novels at all? They go into a lot more detail with the story than the webisodes and JtO have done. If you haven't, I must say that your pessimism is misplaced.

Right, that's why I can't find a SINGLE bionicle set in any supermarket, and all of the winter toa are "retiring soon"

Right, that's why I can't find a SINGLE bionicle set in any supermarket, and all of the winter toa are "retiring soon"

The winter Toa will retire cuz it'll be two waves since they showed up, i assume "soon" means "when we roll out 2017 wave 1" aka, a few months

(i mean it's hardly what i'd call "soon' but maybe they're big picture people...)

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Have you read the books or graphic novels at all? They go into a lot more detail with the story than the webisodes and JtO have done. If you haven't, I must say that your pessimism is misplaced.

That's kind of how it works though? The next wave comes out, and then they gear up for the wave after that. They don't keep making the old stuff.

• Upvote 1

Option 1 all the way. G2 has given us easily the best constraction sets Lego has ever turned out, with the gear functions of pre-2005 combined with the excellent poseability of post-2005, and a rock-solid visual aesthetic. The story has been a bit underwhelming, but I have yet to read the books or graphic novels, which I have heard immensely positive things about, so I'm willing to go along with that, as well.

And, for the record, I'm convinced Bionicle is doing at least reasonably well. The fact that we've upgraded from simple 90-second animations to a full miniseries, and that we're getting a steady stream of books, should be proof enough of that. If sales really were going as far south as some people would have us believe, supplimentary material like those would be the first thing Lego would cut.

• Upvote 2

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Lego is actually cutting all supplementary bionicle products, as we have yet to recieve another monthly Lego shop promotional gift, the story of this year has been even less interesting and so much more bland than it was in 2015. Just look at the website and see what I mean. So much less story material, and more of "Products" section. This is why kids can't get into bionicle. They literally are depending on the novels to tell the story of bionicle. Some of us can't get those books, but would like to know the bionicle story. This is why the line isn't doing well...Not trying to be a genwunner, or "pessemist" but I feel very strongly that they haven't done nearly as much with bionicle as they tried to hype it up to be.

Also, in response to the past two replies, I will repeat again. I have been finding ZERO PERCENT bionicle sets in ANY supermarket around here. It's because they know they can't sell bionicle and don't even bother to restock them.

Lego is actually cutting all supplementary bionicle products, as we have yet to recieve another monthly Lego shop promotional gift, the story of this year has been even less interesting and so much more bland than it was in 2015. Just look at the website and see what I mean. So much less story material, and more of "Products" section. This is why kids can't get into bionicle. They literally are depending on the novels to tell the story of bionicle. Some of us can't get those books, but would like to know the bionicle story. This is why the line isn't doing well...Not trying to be a genwunner, or "pessemist" but I feel very strongly that they haven't done nearly as much with bionicle as they tried to hype it up to be.

Also, in response to the past two replies, I will repeat again. I have been finding ZERO PERCENT bionicle sets in ANY supermarket around here. It's because they know they can't sell bionicle and don't even bother to restock them.

I do agree that the story should be easier to access, as the general opinion on the books has been good. We are still getting supplementary stuff, actually; there's a new magazine coming out featuring graphic novel excerpts and mini-builds, which is available in Europe. I think that's proof that LEGO still believes it's worth investing in. We're also getting one more novel, which is good. Unfortunately, I've also heard that Ryder Windham is getting fired, but we had something like that  happen before during G1...

C.A. Hapka was dropped, only to be replaced by Greg Farshtey. Maybe LEGO is pulling a similar move?

As for your argument of poor sales... You imply a possibility of restock, which can't happen unless stocks are low or empty. Yet you say they aren't selling well. 

First of all, that actually means that they're selling. Maybe not to a high degree, or as well as an 'evergreen' theme like Ninjago, City, or Star Wars... but they're selling, just on a smaller scale. It might be like oil. It's a diminished market, but it's still a thing.

Second, supermarkets aren't optimized for selling toys. Sure, they're a little cheaper and way more convenient, but their stock and selection can be unreliable. Toys'R'Us, on the other hand, is. People come there to buy toys; you'll likely have better luck finding sets there, since they have more room to carry everything, whether it's a smaller theme like G2 or a juggernaut like Ninjago. 

I also agree that G2 hasn't done as much as I would've liked, but hey! I'm still happy, because this comeback was entirely unprecedented. It didn't need to happen, but LEGO went and did it for us anyway. It's an encore of sorts. So, let's just kick back, relax, and enjoy the show while it lasts.  B-)

EDIT: Oh, we've got a Netflix show. Not the most solid series, but we've gotten to see more of the Toa on screen than the entirety of 2015's animated content. I think that's an indication that the line is chugging along.

Edited by FrozenPancake_
  • Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

First of all, when has any theme other than City or Creator gotten more than one promo set inside of two years?

Secondly, this has nothing to do with story quality or accessibility. If G2 really was dying we would never have gotten Journey to One, the books would be cancelled, and they wouldn't bother translating the promo magazine into English. The fact that Lego is spending so much money to promote the theme is far more solid evidence for success than what the local grocery store happens to have in stock.

• Upvote 2

First of all, when has any theme other than City or Creator gotten more than one promo set inside of two years?

Secondly, this has nothing to do with story quality or accessibility. If G2 really was dying we would never have gotten Journey to One, the books would be cancelled, and they wouldn't bother translating the promo magazine into English. The fact that Lego is spending so much money to promote the theme is far more solid evidence for success than what the local grocery store happens to have in stock.

You literally need to go back and actually read what I wrote. Not all of us have Netflix, not all of us can get the ever elusive books.

And, on top of that, Journey to One was TERRIBLE. There were some cool visuals sure but that's because it's bionicle, otherwise, that show was a cringefest for the ages. It really deserves the 2 star rating it has. They are just glorified webisodes, which offer no more story detail than I would have gotten from reading the bland website.

Edited by Tuuli

Chose option 7 - I'm mostly indifferent to Bionicle G2. It has its ups and downs, but I'm not too concerned with either.

To give a more detailed opinion, the sets of G2 are fine but without a good story to go along with them, I have very little reason to get excited about them.

You literally need to go back and actually read what I wrote. Not all of us have Netflix, not all of us can get the ever elusive books.

And, on top of that, Journey to One was TERRIBLE. There were some cool visuals sure but that's because it's bionicle, otherwise, that show was a cringefest for the ages. It really deserves the 2 star rating it has. They are just glorified webisodes, which offer no more story detail than I would have gotten from reading the bland website.

You seem to be either missing or willfully ignoring the point I'm trying to make, so here it is once more:

This has nothing to do with story quality or accessibility. The evidence is all the money Lego has poured into supplimentary material, which they would never spend in a million years unless Bionicle was at least reasonably successful. Quality is subjective. The fact that Lego is clearly dropping significant sums on a miniseries and books is far better evidence than any critical assessment you or I can make. Their existence is what costs Lego money, therefore their existence is the deciding factor.

• Upvote 2

They literally are depending on the novels to tell the story of bionicle. Some of us can't get those books, but would like to know the bionicle story. This is why the line isn't doing well...Not trying to be a genwunner, or "pessemist" but I feel very strongly that they haven't done nearly as much with bionicle as they tried to hype it up to be.

Not to start anything but i can say as someone who missed most of the G1 story (and still hasn't read a lot of it directly) because they couldn't afford most of the books, that is literally how G1 did it. 0:

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png