[G1] When exactly did the Toa Nuva/Mahri Find Out There Was a Brotherh

In story year 2007/8 (not sure exactly), it was revealed that there was more than one Makuta, and that Teridax was merely their leader. When exactly was this revealed to the "main characters?" I know that certain factions (the Dark Hunters, the Vortixx, the Order of Mata Nui) were always aware of the Brotherhood, and that the Makuta revealed their inner shadow and went to war with the Dark Hunters around when the Toa Metru moved the Matoran of Metru Nui to the island of Mata Nui. But where (and from whom) did the Toa Nuva and Toa Mahri find out?

"You and I both know there are a thousand ways I can kill you. And 943 of them hurt."
-Teridax, Time Trap

I'm pretty sure that none of the inhabitants of Mata Nui, excluding the Turaga, knew of any more than one Makuta before their return to Metru Nui. I guess Turaga Dume, the Rahaga and the other Turaga filled them in.

"So, you know how we just left the island that you thought was your lifelong home and came to this place where you originally lived before having your memories wiped? Yeah, these dudes with Rahkshi heads have been rebuilding it after it was destroyed by the Visorak. Visorak? Oh, yeah, a ravenous horde of giant spiders. Why did they destroy it? Well, Makuta sent them. As well as the Dark Hunters before. The Dark Hunters? Yeah, they're a group of merciless bounty hunters with no qualms about killing Matoran. Did we mention there are more Makuta? Yeah, a whole brotherhood of them! Welcome to your new home ^^"

Metru Nui's supply of Aspirin ran out that day.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The Brotherhood of Makuta was actually revealed all the way back in 2004, at the end of Legends of Metru Nui.

"Come, join my brothers and me."

Fans at the time totally freaked out.  Who are Makuta's brothers?  What the heck is he talking about?  Greg explained (off screen, so maybe why you missed it) that there are multiple Makuta in the world and that they form a sort of brotherhood.  As time went on, the books began to reveal more information about the Brotherhood until they really took centre stage in 2008 with the Battle for Karda Nui.

As for how much the Toa Metru knew, this is always a bit complicated.  When we were thrown into the 2004 storyline, we knew very little about the world beneath the island of Mata Nui.  It wasn't even initially clear that there were multiple populations of Matoran!  However because there wasn't really a point where the Toa Metru were shocked to discover the existence of other Makuta on other islands, I think it's safe to assume that they knew all along and probably mentioned this to the Toa Nuva as they retold their Metru Nui adventures.

We the audience just weren't aware of it because A) It wasn't relevant to the central story at that point, and B) Probably because Greg and Lego hadn't fleshed out what the role of the other Makuta would be.  (Although I believe the idea of multiple Makuta was planned fairly early on.)

I am sure that Vakama was told about the Brotherhood of Makuta in late 2005, as well as the Order of Mata Nui, when he was fighting for the Vahi with The Shadowed One and Makuta Teridax. He must have shared it with his other toa later, and when talking about the past the turaga must have told everyone listening.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Thank you everyone for clearing that up (especially to SPIRIT with the super duper in-depth reply, as always). I must have missed the comics or side notes where that was revealed, since (as mentioned) it wasn't key to the plot.

• Upvote 1

"You and I both know there are a thousand ways I can kill you. And 943 of them hurt."
-Teridax, Time Trap