BBC Contest #73 Prelim Poll Exo-Force

BBC Contest #73 Prelim Poll Exo-Force  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Preliminary Poll Exo-Force
BBC Contest #73: Brickin' It Old School!

Here we are... it's the preliminary round of voting for BBC Contest #73: Brickin' !t Old School!

Two entries will advance from each poll, as well as two overall wildcards.

Preliminary Voting begins June 23rd and ends June 26th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
Final Voting begins August 6th and ends August 7th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on August 9th.

One voter from each poll will be randomly selected to win a McToran polybag from 2001!

---------------------------------------------------------

BZP Rules and Guidelines

---------------------------------------------------------

1. c73_027.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> toa tiwel

2. c73_005.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Regal Guard - Riot Division

3. c73_025.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Dark Hunter Rampage

4. image.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Toa Talleth

5. imag0659.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Solius

6. c73_004.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Toa of Earth

7. c73_026.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Makuta Hunter

8. c73_013.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> Neo Bohrok Mk XXII

9. c73_019.jpg_thumb.jpg >>> (Insert Subject's cutest ice themed thought here.)

• Upvote 2
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

It's between 3, 7 and 8 for me. I eventually went with 3, because it has a sweet gear function, and because 8 doesn't need any help. (Seriously, that thing is awesome.)

Honourable mention for 9, which is adorable.

EDIT: added in a missing space.

Edited by Disty says hi
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, it wasn't even a contest. 3 was the only one here that really looked G1 to me, and it's especially impressive that they used mostly parts available before 2005. Plus I like Dark Hunters. :D

Gah this is a tough choice, but I ultimately went with #2... It's a freakin bird-man.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Nothing really strikes me in this poll, but I went for #7, which has a couple nifty design aspects and looks passable for a G1 titan.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Went with #3. Great Dark Hunter build and I can imagine it being a set. Cute owl, you were so close

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Tough choice between 2, 3, and 8 (weird, entry 8 ended up being a standout for me in all three polls).

Entry 8 in this poll succeeds even with an extremely monochrome design in part due to its eclectic use of textures. It's reminiscent of many prototype Bionicle sets from over the years, but unlike those which are mostly cut and glued and then painted with a silvery finish, this one is purist, achieving the same use through the use of greebly details both small and large. Its rotund, somewhat cartoonish proportions set it apart from any official sets and even from most MOCs. It feels sorta like a video game enemy.

2, on the other hand, really exemplifies the old-school "riotflea" MOC craze, plus has a dynamic color scheme and textures that don't call quite so much attention to themselves. Its proportions are spindly, aggressive, and alien like I'd expect a "riotflea" to be. The biggest drawback of this one is that its build feels almost more "timeless" than "old-school" — flares and curves like this model has are about as pervasive in System and CCBS MOCs as they were in G1 Bionicle MOCs, and so it's really only the "riotflea" concept that dates it.

3 stands out in its own way — it is not as ambitious in its building techniques as 2 or 8, but it has a distinctive G1 feel with its clumsy, machine-like build, and the yellow Jack Stone elements used as accents go a long way to balance out the grey, black, and silver. As the builder intended, it feels like it could fit in the Dark Hunters guide, and yet it feels like it could fit in among that guide's best entries, or even among some of the official G1 Dark Hunter sets and combi models.

After much debate I settled on Entry 8, which is both the most impressive for me visually and elicits the most nostalgia. Rather than just an old set or an old MOC, it feels like an unfinished PROTOTYPE of an old set! That's, like, double the old! And yet in spite of that inherent roughness that would feel horrendously out-of-place on a finished set, its neutral color palette and unconventional materials are reminiscent of a mixed media art piece.

So I guess I ended up voting a straight 8-8-8 ticket. Ah, well.