Tahtorak Youngling - Old-School Combiner Model

YehprNv.jpg

The Tahtorak Youngling is built solely from the pieces contained in Lewa, Lewa Nuva, Lehvak, Lehvak-Va and Lehrahk.

I originally intended this as a cheeky entry for the 'Gen-1 Style' BzPower Contest (perhaps this way I wouldn't need to send my entry overseas), but exams prevented me from completing this in time.

More photos may be found here.

Edit: After jumping through quite the few hoops, I've uploaded this on MOCpages, which has instructions! 

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged
  • Upvote 7

Thanks all!

He looks right, thought he grey rahkshi upper leg kinda stands out, I reccomend getting rid of it.

Sorry, I'm going to ask you to elaborate on that. The tail? I couldn't get rid of the tail.

This is awesome! It's a shame you couldn't enter, because this would have been a real contender. I especially like how it's a combiner but it -doesn't- look like a jumbled mess for a change. Great work!

It's probably for the best it didn't make it in all honesty, if only because it needs to be judged by a completely different standard than the others, ahaha.

Can you please make instructions?

Plan is to make a MOCpages page with the instructions in it - the interface is really buggy for me though, otherwise I would have done it already.

Well.

Very nice, although klunky. Captures the look of the Tatorahk very well. My biggest concern is the trans. green eyepieces for the hands, as they don't align very well with the rest of the limb and look contorted. Maybe two trans. green Bohrok eyes attached to a half-twisted technic connector piece secured to the pinhole in the heel of the Rahkshi foot would work better.

Overall, nicely done.

Edited by Ghidora131
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all!

He looks right, thought he grey rahkshi upper leg kinda stands out, I reccomend getting rid of it.

Sorry, I'm going to ask you to elaborate on that. The tail? I couldn't get rid of the tail.

That's my mistake, I skimmed the into post and didn't notice he was a combiner so I assumed the tail could be made with other pieces. On closer examination, the original Tahtorak has Rahkshi pieces as well, so you should actually add more grey to him.

Edited by The Invisible Noob
  • Upvote 1

Well.

Very nice, although klunky. Captures the look of the Tatorahk very well. My biggest concern is the trans. green eyepieces for the hands, as they don't align very well with the rest of the limb and look contorted. Maybe two trans. green Bohrok eyes attached to a half-twisted technic connector piece secured to the pinhole in the heel of the Rahkshi foot would work better.

Overall, nicely done.

Yeah, I agree that the forearms are definitely the weakest aspect of this model.

I would definitely do something along those lines - or something way more drastic - If only this weren't a combiner model and I had pieces to spare, haha.

Thanks anyway!

The Invisible Noob, on 29 Jun 2016 - 8:24 PM, said:

Thanks all!

That's my mistake, I skimmed the into post and didn't notice he was a combiner so I assumed the tail could be made with other pieces. On closer examination, the original Tahtorak has Rahkshi pieces as well, so you should actually add more grey to him.

I think out of all the spares left over, the Rahkshi torso and shoulder were the only pieces that were dark grey. Both of which aren't exactly easy pieces to apply...

Hey, I appreciate your (attempts at) constructive criticism all. ^_^

Suggesting changes for Combi-models is by nature pretty wacky - oftentimes, it's akin to polishing a turd - so I'm just content that I can see the same stuff you guys do, really.

Reaction upon reading the topic name: "Tahtorak?  Hm.  This is going to look weird and stuff, isn't it?"

Reaction the instant I saw the picture: "oh wow yeah that's a friggin' Tahtorak holy crud o_o"

I agree with the sentiment that the Mata brain-eye-thingies don't quite fit, but other than that, well done!  :)

• Upvote 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Do you have a picture of this beauty next to an actual Tahtorak, or at least it's dimensions compared to one?

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

First off, I think it's really impressive that you managed to build something like this with the restrictions you described. You used the pieces really creatively as well, especially those Mata head pieces for claws. If you managed to enter this in time I would have definitely voted for this, it feels like this best captures what the BBC was asking for. Great job!

• Upvote 1

The fact that you only used pieces from five sets and still managed to make it look like a Tahtorak is outstanding. I would have tried to make the front claws look more like the original, but I imagine you would have to use pieces that weren't from the sets you used. Still, the hands/claws don't detract from the overall quality of the model. Very impressive.

• Upvote 2

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an impressive MOC as a combiner, as a take on the original Tahtorak, and also just as a cool-looking model. My favorite portion is the head and mane, but I do agree the arms are the weakest bit. I'd recommend maybe repurposing maybe the Acid Shields to make the claws more distinctive, and also maybe incorporating more gray bits to make the gray in the tail stand out less, and to resemble the original just a little bit more. Overall, I would give this model an 8.5/10.

EDIT: Gosh, did I really use "maybe" three times in the same sentence? I'm terrible...

Edited by Master Inika
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good-looking model that manages to capture the essence of the original tahtorak, while still showing that this is a younger specimen. The fact that this is a combiner adds another layer of respect from me. Good job!

Combiner models are real fun to do as they both challenge you to creatively apply parts and work within tight limits - it feels so gratifying if you come up with something even half-decent. Thanks!

hahaha this is great!

Shame you could't finish it in time for the contest.

First off, I think it's really impressive that you managed to build something like this with the restrictions you described. You used the pieces really creatively as well, especially those Mata head pieces for claws. If you managed to enter this in time I would have definitely voted for this, it feels like this best captures what the BBC was asking for. Great job!

Pretty sure it would have been totally disqualified before it even hit voting, haha (and this certainly had nothing on Disty's Manas). Another time, perhaps. Thank you both!

Reaction upon reading the topic name: "Tahtorak?  Hm.  This is going to look weird and stuff, isn't it?"

Reaction the instant I saw the picture: "oh wow yeah that's a friggin' Tahtorak holy crud o_o"

I agree with the sentiment that the Mata brain-eye-thingies don't quite fit, but other than that, well done!   :)

The fact that you only used pieces from five sets and still managed to make it look like a Tahtorak is outstanding. I would have tried to make the front claws look more like the original, but I imagine you would have to use pieces that weren't from the sets you used. Still, the hands/claws don't detract from the overall quality of the model. Very impressive.

This is an impressive MOC as a combiner, as a take on the original Tahtorak, and also just as a cool-looking model. My favorite portion is the head and mane, but I do agree the arms are the weakest bit. I'd recommend maybe repurposing maybe the Acid Shields to make the claws more distinctive, and also maybe incorporating more gray bits to make the gray in the tail stand out less, and to resemble the original just a little bit more. Overall, I would give this model an 8.5/10.

EDIT: Gosh, did I really use "maybe" three times in the same sentence? I'm terrible...

Yeah - now that I think of it, I could have tried purposing the Bohrok limbs as 'fingers' while using the Rahkshi feet as feet (likening to the original). Better yet, if I were to have thrown in Onua Mata in there somehow, that would have sorted both the arms and it's absence of Dark Grey. Thank you all!

Do you have a picture of this beauty next to an actual Tahtorak, or at least it's dimensions compared to one?

Not without photoshop, I can't, nope. I guess this picture of the original gives you an idea of the actual Tahtorak's length - this model would be substantially smaller (it's two Mata torsos to...  what, twelve?).

Hey, size don't mean everything, right?

This is nicely done. Its great to see someone making their own version of the Tahtorak. Are you planning on releasing instructions anytime soon?

After quite the delay, I've uploaded this on MOCpages, and instructions are all there! Better late than never!

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged