Lyichir

27684915830_7fa51849dd_b.jpg

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Album

A Lego chess set based on the Nexo Knights theme. Altogether, including parts that aren't available on LDD (8 Scurrier figs and the helmets for the 2 Ash Attackers), this model would add up to 1022 pieces.

The base features storage space for the chess pieces themselves, and two modular sections visually based on the good and evil factions in the theme. The board itself is also modular and separates into four 16x16 sections. The two halves of the board can be separated and stacked on top of one another for storage. The chess pieces themselves all have simple yet uniform bases that allow for easy color-coded identification.

The "good" Nexo Knight faction features King Halbert (King), Queen Halbert (Queen), two Royal Soldiers (Bishops), two hover horses (Knights), two Nexo Shields (Rooks), and eight King's Squirebots (Pawns).

The "evil" Lava Monster faction features Jestro and the Book of Monsters (King), Lavaria (Queen), two Ash Attackers (Bishops), two evil hover horses (Knights), two Shields of Absorption (Rooks) and eight Scurriers (Pawns).

I would love to build this physically and/or submit it to Lego Ideas, but am hesitant due to how obvious the idea is. Lego has released many chess sets in the past, most of them based on Castle themes, so chances are Lego is already considering releasing a chess set for the Nexo Knights theme. I would not want to buy all the necessary figs and parts on Bricklink only for Lego to release a similar set on their own!

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This is a really fun idea! I love the redesigned chess board that looks like it would allow for easy placement and removal of the player pieces, as well as the player piece bases (they are just genius!). It really is a shame that the scarier mold isn't in LDD yet, but I'm sure it will show up at some point.

I would love to build this physically and/or submit it to Lego Ideas, but am hesitant due to how obvious the idea is. Lego has released many chess sets in the past, most of them based on Castle themes, so chances are Lego is already considering releasing a chess set for the Nexo Knights theme. I would not want to buy all the necessary figs and parts on Bricklink only for Lego to release a similar set on their own!

As obvious as it might be, it wouldn't hurt to try. Consider that they might have thought of it, there's no guarantee they've put any effort into it just yet. Maybe submitting it will bring the idea to the forefront and give them a little more incentive to try for it. Besides, the board/box you've designed is excellent, and I would love to see it in physical form. Go for it!

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

As obvious as it might be, it wouldn't hurt to try. Consider that they might have thought of it, there's no guarantee they've put any effort into it just yet. Maybe submitting it will bring the idea to the forefront and give them a little more incentive to try for it. Besides, the board/box you've designed is excellent, and I would love to see it in physical form. Go for it!

Well, the other factor is that if I were to submit it to Lego Ideas, I'd want the submission to be as polished as possible, since better-looking submissions generally do better. That means that what I have so far (somewhat sloppy screenshots of an unrealistic LDD render with half of the pawns missing) would not be nearly sufficient. Ideally, I'd want to recreate the model physically to get all the detail, and I'm not sure I'd want to put up the money for that when there's still a far from insubstantial chance that Lego will release their own version before the year is up.

However, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Bricklink prices for the parts and figures I need...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a fan of Nexo Knights, I love the whole thing. But something is missing... MORE TRANS RED ORANGE! Maybe on the shields? Some other parts too! :D

I feel if you added that, it would be crazy perfect. Instant want.

I thought about using Trans. Fluor. Orange and Trans. Bright Orange for the pyramids on the chessboard, but decided that Silver Metallic and Warm Gold looked better and were more true to the castle designs in the theme. As far as the pieces are concerned, I could maybe try to work in some more of that color, but most of the figures' weapons don't actually use that color heavily (since it's mostly used for the powered-up weapons of the knights along with vehicles).

Minor gripe tbh but, the "evil" side should have the rock edge piece instead of the angle wedge piece on its sides, right? i am pretty sure those were used as parallels?

but i mean, your model so idk.

The villain sets this year actually have used both parts (the rock wedge and the new angle wedge). I opted for the latter since it makes the whole thing feel more symmetrical. While the rock wedge and the new wedge have similar dimensions, their shapes are different and would look odd side-by-side on the sides of the board (since the rock wedge actually has a larger base in terms of the area it covers).

Nice job. Speaking as a chess player and not-so-much Nexo Knights fan, this is a great LEGO chess board. All of the pieces are distinct and resemble the pieces they're meant to. And the board itself is amazing for a whole different set of reasons, including functioning as a storage container and just plain looking great. I would strongly suggest you put this on Ideas, even if it is just LDD renders.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!