Shadow Spawn Instructions

Dorek

Remember the Shadow Spawn, those weird creatures Umarak summons during his fight in Journey To One?

When I was in Denmark for LEGO Fan Media Days to interview the product teams, the BIONICLE team had the model that they used for the TV show available, and let me take some pictures of it! Using those pictures, I've reverse engineered the model and put together some instructions for everybody to use.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 16

Man, this is much cooler looking than I thought it was, thanks for sharing the instructions.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You're welcome everybody!

The combination is AMAZING! weird that this couldn't be an official combination?

I mean, it's "official" enough, being the actual model they use. But yeah, sad that we won't see instructions for it (which is why I made my own!)

Are those pictures in the second page the ones you took at Denmark? I must say this is a very different build than what the tv show seemed to imply, but a very cool build nonetheless. I'm gonna have to go rebuild my shadow spawn Moc now.

Yeah, the last series is the official model that they built. It does look a little different than JTO, but you can see the core similarities underneath; mostly just more spikes on the animated version =P

Surprisingly complex build for this model. Thanks for the instructions! I'll have to try it sometime

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I remember racking my brain trying to get the details exactly right, before realizing it was technically impossible. I tip my non-existent hat to you for creating official instructions

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

Out of curiosity, were there any other models of interest there?

Like say anything that looks like the newly revealed Makuta?

I didn't know about Makuta's new design at the time, so I was referring to the ice Shadow Traps. They look pretty straightforward, but then again, so did the Shadow Spawn.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

I didn't know about Makuta's new design at the time, so I was referring to the ice Shadow Traps. They look pretty straightforward, but then again, so did the Shadow Spawn.

I want to say the Ice Shadow Traps were there, though I didn't snap pictures of them specifically (although in that case, the build IS easy to distinguish; I've already built my own!). They did come up in conversation, at any rate.

And the only other things there were the TwoToa combiners and the Umarak summer combiner.

Edited by Dorek

I want to say the Ice Shadow Traps were there, though I didn't snap pictures of them specifically (although in that case, the build IS easy to distinguish; I've already built my own!). They did come up in conversation, at any rate.

And the only other things there were the TwoToa combiners and the Umarak summer combiner.

So do the ice shadow traps have white exo toa arms or silver? JTO shows white but I get the feeling that the official traps use only pieces from bionicle sets.

• 2 weeks later...

This is way more awesome than I imagined it would be. I didn't expect the legs and torso to be so intricate. Almost a shame they dedicated so much effort into the model (more than some of the official models) for a combiner that got about ten seconds of screentime, and didn't even release official instructions. Also interesting is that it has thumbs. I thought it was just the Shadow Trap claws at first, but the thumbs make it look a lot less thrown-together. Overall, it looks like such a thrown-together discount Umarak knockoff in the actual show, but is so cool as a model.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

should have made it an official combo model

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Lego hasn't been very good at releasing combo instructions for all of their alternate models.  There's this Shadow Spawn and now the Makuta model which I guess isn't officially a combiner, but it can be easily guessed which sets are used to make him.  It's good that we have fans who are dedicated enough to reverse engineer this stuff, but it would be so much more helpful if Lego would just come forth with this stuff in the first place.  I mean they released instructions for those weird Toa combiners that nobody asked for earlier this year, but then they reveal the Shadow Spawn in JTO and we're left guessing.  I'm still a little bitter with the lack of instructions for the Onua/Protector of Earth combiner from the iOS version Mask of Creation last year.  Is it too late to hope that Lego might release instructions for that one?  

- :t::l::h:

Lego hasn't been very good at releasing combo instructions for all of their alternate models.  There's this Shadow Spawn and now the Makuta model which I guess isn't officially a combiner, but it can be easily guessed which sets are used to make him.  It's good that we have fans who are dedicated enough to reverse engineer this stuff, but it would be so much more helpful if Lego would just come forth with this stuff in the first place.  I mean they released instructions for those weird Toa combiners that nobody asked for earlier this year, but then they reveal the Shadow Spawn in JTO and we're left guessing.  I'm still a little bitter with the lack of instructions for the Onua/Protector of Earth combiner from the iOS version Mask of Creation last year.  Is it too late to hope that Lego might release instructions for that one?  

- :t: :l: :h:

I'd hoped to get instructions for that model from Lego, too, but I'm pretty sure that that ship has sailed.  A couple people have built it despite the lack of instructions, right?  If there's a consensus that a particular build matches the in-game model, I might try creating a step-by-step set of instructions for it.  Unfortunately, I'm not that great at reverse-engineering builds, so I'd probably need a decent set of photos to start from if I want to build the model myself.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.