I have a challenge for you guys that don't like G2 much.

Spiffy247

I just got back from the Lego store in Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL. They had all the beast sets, but no Ekimu The Mask Maker or Umarak the Destroyer sets, I'm guessing because of them being back ordered on shop.lego.com for a while (although not currently), and reading Aanchir's comment about how Lego brand retail stores will not be selling the summer 2016 lineup in their stores, it was curious that I would find them there. I guess it could've been just luck. I picked up a Storm Beast set.

Edited by KopakaFan116
  • Upvote 2

Keep smiling y'all, bionicle is being retired.

Bionicle wave 2 at my Lego store was there for a day, before being shipped back. All of the villians and Ekimu. Shipped BACK.

Not trying to be mean, but everyone needs to understand why the line is not doing well. Quit trying to put on the mask of positivity, because that will not save bionicle now. Think about the rest of the world, beyond this community.

I don't know anything about LEGO stores shipping sets back after one day, that sounds kinda fishy and it makes me wonder if you have all your information correct. But it's true, LEGO Brand Retail stores will not be stocking the summer Bionicle sets (in fact, I'm surprised yours got them in the first place). From what I've heard on the Brickset Forums, they will not be stocking 76056 Rescue from Ra's Al Ghul from LEGO Super Heroes or some of the summer LEGO Friends sets, either. All these sets will still be available from LEGO.com, but not from LEGO stores. And it doesn't have anything to do with any of those themes being retired.

What do these sets have in common? They are store-exclusive sets. Now, you obviously don't know this, and they don't talk about it much, but LEGO Brand Retail has a… testy relationship with other retailers. The reason for this is obvious: LEGO Brand Retail is owned by LEGO, but it competes with other retailers like Target and Toys 'R' Us that depend on LEGO and vice-versa.

This is a big part of why the LEGO VIP program exists — it's difficult for LEGO to offer markdowns on new LEGO products online or in stores because undercutting other retailers' prices would compromise their relationship with those retailers. However, LEGO wants to give buyers an incentive to shop at LEGO Brand Retail without offering the same markdowns as other retailers do. The solution? Give members of a special program "points" for their purchases which they can later "redeem" for markdowns. That way buyers have an incentive to shop at LEGO Brand Retail even though their hands are tied when it comes to the prices marked on the shelves.

What seems to have happened here is that some store (probably Toys 'R' Us) got upset that LEGO Brand Retail stores are selling sets that they agreed were supposed to be exclusive to Toys 'R' Us, and it reached the point where LEGO was afraid of Toys 'R' Us becoming less cooperative on that and other agreements that both companies benefit from. So LEGO decided to change LEGO Brand Retail's policy on store exclusive sets and no longer stock things that are intended to be exclusive to other retailers. And the new policy just happened to take place partway through this year.

Wait, really? I found all five at my local Lego store. Makes sense though. Policy has been changing over the last half year. Shelf dates seem to be more heavily enforced. Remember when you could get the next year's winter wave in late November?

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

Mask packs might've done the trick, but perhaps also animal creatures like the Rahi might help. But also, a more interesting story and villians, and more worldbuilding through media. Also it needs to be darker, like in the original story. I loved the grittiness of bionicle originally and now it's not so grim.

G1. WASN'T. DARK. And a story being "not so grim" is not a bad thing you absolute edgelord.

​Also there's been a ton of worldbuilding but of course you've probably ignored all of it. And there's been animal creatures...? At this point I have the feeling you hid under a rock when G2 came out and refuse to actually learn anything about it.

You don't know how wrong you are. G1 WAS DARK. I guess a happy little world is a better place for you, anyway.

Also there are NO ANIMALS. Unless you count the little "skull spiders" which are more animations than are creatures. Maybe I should "read the amazing books" because clearly I'm missing out on something here?

"g1 was dark"

true, and it was almost as frightening as torrenting the Bee Movie, right?

Honestly, if anyone thinks that G1 was dark, you really need to watch some actually dark things. So what, a Barakki killed someone once or something? Boring!

Bionicle G2 could have done with little thing called a story. or a cool game. or something. Maybe Lego has forgotten that kids like to act out the story with their toys, not just play with them. that was at least my case. idk, maybe it's not normal. at any rate who cares; g2 is obviously done for. I'd rather see it stay dead than to be resurrected every few years to be paraded around, and then cancelled (again)

Edited by Jaek_3

Bionicle is not a particularly dark, grim, gritty line, as you would expect from a story about colourful plastic robots who use the power of "unity" which can almost be summarised as "friendship".

However, G1 WAS darker, grimmer, and grittier than G2. It's nowhere near franchises such as Warhammer 40K, but the death of multiple protagonists, insane beings, the bad guys appearing to win, and that edgy Inika trailer make it stand out.

Back on topic, I must confess that the aforementioned grittiness being missing from G2 made me lose interest in it. I probably would have loved just as much as G1 if I was 10 years old, but the lack of grit makes it difficult for my older self to enjoy G2.

More connections to G1, more complicated sets, and better animations are other things which would have improved my opinion of G2 considerably.

• Upvote 2

Bionicle is not a particularly dark, grim, gritty line, as you would expect from a story about colourful plastic robots who use the power of "unity" which can almost be summarised as "friendship".

However, G1 WAS darker, grimmer, and grittier than G2. It's nowhere near franchises such as Warhammer 40K, but the death of multiple protagonists, insane beings, the bad guys appearing to win, and that edgy Inika trailer make it stand out.

Back on topic, I must confess that the aforementioned grittiness being missing from G2 made me lose interest in it. I probably would have loved just as much as G1 if I was 10 years old, but the lack of grit makes it difficult for my older self to enjoy G2.

More connections to G1, more complicated sets, and better animations are other things which would have improved my opinion of G2 considerably.

Found the other edgelord.

​Also the sets are pretty complicated considering literally all of them have gear functions that take quite some time to put together, but I have a feeling you're one of those people who have not bought or constructed a single set and are judging them by images you saw online. The animations are pretty darn good too but you were probably expecting uber-violent monochrome schlock with edgy dialogue since you want "darkness" so badly.

• Upvote 1

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I do definitely like G2 overall, but if I could change one thing, it would be the story's depth.

If I think about all the lore and story we've heard so far in G2, I actually really like it.  Masks that run off of the elemental energy of the island, a mysterious past for the Toa, the dubious "evil" of Makuta, the freaking upper half of the Mask of Time, and more facets of this world intrigue me.  It's good.

I just wish it didn't all feel so... shallow.

The world is there.  The characters are there.  I just get the feeling that they aren't going as far in with it as they could, and it comes off to me like it's less than the sum of its parts.

Honestly, I think the specific action I would ask for to perhaps cure this would just be more content.  In the olden days of G1, we had lore and character-rich games (in the first few years, at least), comics, books, and web animations.  With G2, we have some very infrequent books and graphic novels that, while generally of good quality (graphic novel #2 is super cool in my opinion), are seriously lagging behind the sets releasing.  The most recent books takes place immediately after the defeat of Kulta!  If they had been coming out with more books that lined up with what sets were being released, maybe given us a decent game online that let us learn about Okoto and participate in its events, maybe published some decently long comics packed in with the Lego mag, and more than four Netflix episodes (I love that we have any to begin with, but hey, I can dream, can't I?), there would be a wealth of content that would have to be filled with some sort of story content.  We could, perhaps, really get to know the Toa, the Protectors, learn more about Okoto, how the elements work, learn if there's any connection between this world and the G1 world (as the existence of their Mask of Time seems to suggest), etc.  I would love to see all of these things, but at the current rate we are actually receiving story content, I feel that it lacks significantly in comparison to G1.

tl;dr: Lego isn't putting their all into G2 like they did with G1.  If they did, we might have a more fleshed out and satisfying story for the line.  But for the record, I still really like what we've gotten and I am grateful that G2 even exists.

Edited by Kookie

Found the other edgelord.

​Also the sets are pretty complicated considering literally all of them have gear functions that take quite some time to put together, but I have a feeling you're one of those people who have not bought or constructed a single set and are judging them by images you saw online. The animations are pretty darn good too but you were probably expecting uber-violent monochrome schlock with edgy dialogue since you want "darkness" so badly.

>bionicle

>in anyway being edgy

lol, do people actually think this?

>bionicle
>in anyway being edgy

lol, do people actually think this?

YO YO, PIRAKA! :P

Make episodes that don't suck.

That would probably do it.

This would do it for me too. Hoping the next two episodes of JtO are a little more to my liking. The plot so far is decent, but some of the dialogue and delivery has been... lacking.

Hmm...

Honestly, I think a console game... (if the designers are meticulous about it and don't rush it like the '03 game...and please not anything resembling the Heroes games or Lego Star Wars or others of the like. I want a pretty action packed game that tells the story and takes it seriously (with some appropriate comic relief but not at the saturation level of Lego Star Wars) and immerses the player in the Bionicle World.)

I could go on and on about how the '03 game was one of my favorite aspects of Bionicle (even despite its flaws) and I honestly think that a console game would help the line sell more. Being real here, kids these days play a lot of video games and it wouldn't hurt the actual toy sales to have a console game (because I really hate most mobile games because they take too much phone battery and they aren't nearly as fun because they're on a tiny screen.)

That would basically be it. The other things I would've said have already been covered (larger, more Technic oriented rahi/creatures and more mask color options)

...wait...One last Idea: larger more technic oriented titans/villains. I understand that we have large titans, but what happened to those super titans? Like Brutakka or Tuma that just tower over the heroes and actually look like it would take all 6 toa together to defeat?

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Hmm...

Honestly, I think a console game... (if the designers are meticulous about it and don't rush it like the '03 game...and please not anything resembling the Heroes games or Lego Star Wars or others of the like. I want a pretty action packed game that tells the story and takes it seriously (with some appropriate comic relief but not at the saturation level of Lego Star Wars) and immerses the player in the Bionicle World.)

I could go on and on about how the '03 game was one of my favorite aspects of Bionicle (even despite its flaws) and I honestly think that a console game would help the line sell more. Being real here, kids these days play a lot of video games and it wouldn't hurt the actual toy sales to have a console game (because I really hate most mobile games because they take too much phone battery and they aren't nearly as fun because they're on a tiny screen.)

That would basically be it. The other things I would've said have already been covered (larger, more Technic oriented rahi/creatures and more mask color options)

...wait...One last Idea: larger more technic oriented titans/villains. I understand that we have large titans, but what happened to those super titans? Like Brutakka or Tuma that just tower over the heroes and actually look like it would take all 6 toa together to defeat?

As long as it's released for PC, I'm all with you. A full-fledged AAA Bionicle video game would be a literal dream come true for me, especially if it is an open-world RPG allowing us to explore every inch of the world. While I would personally still prefer it to be G1 and set on the island of Mata Nui, I know that will never happen, so an open-world AAA RPG set on Okoto would be cool. Maybe even in a time before the Toa, allowing us to create our own Protector characters, collect armor, weapons and so. The past of Okoto hasn't been fleshed out, so an RPG with a custom main character would work. The issue with Mata Nui is that the ~1000 years the Matoran spent there prior to the arrival of the Toa Mata has been almost always described in the lore as uneventful due to Makuta's Rahi limiting safe passage across the island, and the fact that diminished Matoran were the worst combatants in the whole universe.

What I'm saying is, I'd buy TES:Okoto all up. On PC.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Hmm...

As long as it's released for PC, I'm all with you...

I agree that PC is a great platform, but I want some more games for my PS4 (I'm a very casual gamer and only play things that I enjoy (therefore I only have like 5 games at the moment))

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Hmm...

I agree that PC is a great platform, but I want some more games for my PS4 (I'm a very casual gamer and only play things that I enjoy (therefore I only have like 5 games at the moment))

I'm not an elitist, I just don't own a console  :P

I know we're going off topic here, but how do you like your PS4? I've been on the fence about one literally since they were released. The rumors of an upgraded version coming soon has me put off from getting one, but I am interested in the upgraded version, but still undecided.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Hmm...

I'm not an elitist, I just don't own a console  :P

I know we're going off topic here, but how do you like your PS4? I've been on the fence about one literally since they were released. The rumors of an upgraded version coming soon has me put off from getting one, but I am interested in the upgraded version, but still undecided.

PS4 is my first console since the original Nintendo Wii. I really like it. I use the DVD/Blu Ray player and Netflix more than I play games tbh, but the games are great when I'm in the mood, not to mention the graphics are amazing. I have zero complaints about the system.

Back to the matter at hand though, I also think that some parts packs would be great (like that ultimate creature kit or whatever that had 400 random pieces in it. Those were great).

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Whoever's not an edgelord about Bionicle obviously doesn't put as much thought and emotion behind it. :^) Yes fam, there are other emotions to be evoked besides "Happy".

Umm......

Is this some type of slang I don't know about because I don't understand the message your trying to convey.

But from what I do understand from it it sounds like you think Bionicle is nothing but happy rainbows and unicorns with no conflict.

I don't want to get in a argument with you, but your wrong.

There is plenty of conflict in the story. With Kopaka and Tahu at odds with each other in 2015, to the destroyed village in JTO, and also are main villain for 2016 was mutated against his will into a giant monster.

So yes, everything is all peachy on Okoto.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Whoever's not an edgelord about Bionicle obviously doesn't put as much thought and emotion behind it. :^) Yes fam, there are other emotions to be evoked besides "Happy".

Please do the following:

-define "edgelord"

-tell us what putting more thought and emotion into Bionicle could accomplish

-why do you think the only current emotion in bionicle is happiness

I'd like to understand what you're trying to say, but the way it's currently worded confuses me (and judging by other posts, I'm not the only one)

Please and thank you  :)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

It doesn't necessarily have to be dark or edgy it maybe requires more mysticism, questionable animations maybe like the early 2001 animations with no narration or dialouge, in 3D with a bright but not too colorful background. I don't know. It's really upsetting that the story was lacking in any way at all. I don't even know what to say.

Better villains. In G1, the Barraki and Makuta characters were pretty interesting in that they had unique designs and different personalities. In G2, the villain sets like the Skull team and the Beasts are just nameless grunts. Umarak was like the only developed villain but he's just one character that barely lasted.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't necessarily have to be dark or edgy it maybe requires more mysticism, questionable animations maybe like the early 2001 animations with no narration or dialouge, in 3D with a bright but not too colorful background. I don't know. It's really upsetting that the story was lacking in any way at all. I don't even know what to say.

Are you backtracking? You literally just said:

And you said that "G1 WAS DARK," but now you're saying "oh, it doesn't have to be REALLY dark, it just has to do these things..." I'm not gonna call you an edgelord because you want things grimmer, but you don't seem to understand what a dark tone in a story is and just seem to want things grim for the sake of grim. Also, you countered something you were objectively wrong about ("There are no creatures in Bionicle!!!1!!1) with "bioncle's gettin CANELLED..." which, granted, you ended up being right about, but has literally nothing to do with what you were being accused of.

Not sure why I'm even replying to this since it's clearly gone far off-topic, but...

I would have like if G2 was a continuation of G1 rather than a reboot. I liked the deeper, more detailed storyline/world of G1.

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

• 1 month later...

They really needed to bring back Terminology, Rahi, A GOOD STORY LINE, mask packs, and locations.

Personally, I think they should have just picked up where they left off in G1 and have a prolouge that explains that mata nui defeated makuta after crashing onto bara magna, and compleated his mission to reunite spherus magna and then explain some events that happened before all that as the line progresses.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

They really needed to bring back Terminology, Rahi, A GOOD STORY LINE, mask packs, and locations.

Personally, I think they should have just picked up where they left off in G1 and have a prolouge that explains that mata nui defeated makuta after crashing onto bara magna, and compleated his mission to reunite spherus magna and then explain some events that happened before all that as the line progresses.

It had animals... and either way, why are they such a big deal? The "real" Rahi were only in 2001. It had terminology and locations. Story is subjective, so the only thing that was really "missing" was the mask packs. And like the Rahi those were only around at the beginning.

Also more toa apart from the original 6.

I feel like we might have gotten this if G2 carried on past its originally planned three year run.

On topic, I actually liked G2 as far as the sets went. Though I never kept up with story due to how childish the 2015 animations seemed to me. I was wasn't a fan of how the story was told or the focus put on Tahu. Though the only thing I would have really changed, or rather added, was something akin to MNOLG for Okoto and more CG animations. Better marketing would have also helped the theme's success tremendously.

More personality to everything, less very forgettable names for side characters, and more of a reason to watch any animated material on it other than "lol its funny".

Just a thought, but maybe learning the story is the reason to watch it

I'm sorry, the same story that literally explains itself on the comic on the back of the box? Yeah...

More personality to everything, less very forgettable names for side characters, and more of a reason to watch any animated material on it other than "lol its funny".

Just a thought, but maybe learning the story is the reason to watch it
I'm sorry, the same story that literally explains itself on the comic on the back of the box? Yeah...

Yeah, I remember when the boxes showed Ekimu being awakened, showed Umarak steal the creatures, and explained the lore of the whole island.

Oh wait...

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I remember when the boxes showed Ekimu being awakened, showed Umarak steal the creatures, and explained the lore of the whole island.

Oh wait...

Oh wait... They did. You're not three years old, Nightbeat; anyone buying the set can tell exactly what is supposed to be going on.

So only from the boxes I have to know the names of the Protectors, how the Toa get to the island, Kulta's name and motives, how Ekmiu was awakened, where Umarak came from and why he's doing what he is, and a lot more.

Got it.

So only from the boxes I have to know the names of the Protectors, how the Toa get to the island, Kulta's name and motives, how Ekmiu was awakened, where Umarak came from and why he's doing what he is, and a lot more.

Got it.

And once again, you miss the point entirely...

It's a story about six overpowered heroes doing impossible feats. Do I need to know whether Bingzak is able to find true love? Or if Onua finally stops being sleepy? No. And frankly, I don't care, because I'm buying the set for what it is - a set.

G2 showed no sign of the brilliant angles and aspects G1 used, so I don't need to know everything about all the obscure characters who barely every saw the light of day and go away never to return at the end of each wave.

Got it.

And once again, you miss the point entirely...

It's a story about six overpowered heroes doing impossible feats. Do I need to know whether Bingzak is able to find true love? Or if Onua finally stops being sleepy? No. And frankly, I don't care, because I'm buying the set for what it is - a set.

G2 showed no sign of the brilliant angles and aspects G1 used, so I don't need to know everything about all the obscure characters who barely every saw the light of day and go away never to return at the end of each wave.

So you don't care about the small details of G2 characters because they only show up for one wave, but the G1 characters who only show up for one wave are worthy because of the small details.

Logic.

So you don't care about the small details of G2 characters because they only show up for one wave, but the G1 characters who only show up for one wave are worthy because of the small details.

Logic.

They're worthy because 80% of everything that was introduced stayed around. Since you seem to not remember I'll remind you: Dark Hunters, Piraka, Rahi, Makuta, Jaller, Kongu, Mata Nui, Bohrok, Bahrag, Axonn, Brutaka, Roodaka, Sidorak, etc. etc. etc.

Who stayed around in G2? The six Toa and Ekimu. Makuta didn't make an appearance until the very end, and only two or three of the protectors even were anything in the second wave. Yes, logic, because what I've said is actually logical..

Logic.

They're worthy because 80% of everything that was introduced stayed around. Since you seem to not remember I'll remind you: Dark Hunters, Piraka, Rahi, Makuta, Jaller, Kongu, Mata Nui, Bohrok, Bahrag, Axonn, Brutaka, Roodaka, Sidorak, etc. etc. etc.

Who stayed around in G2? The six Toa and Ekimu. Makuta didn't make an appearance until the very end, and only two or three of the protectors even were anything in the second wave. Yes, logic, because what I've said is actually logical..

I wouldn't call that quite a fair comparison. Most of those characters were either actual set people more than once (Jaller, Kongu, etc.) while people the Bohrok showed up again much, much later when it was mostly Greg's lame fan fiction. In terms of year by year stuff like Onepu vs Korgot they were there for about the same time.

And again, considering G2 was two years vs G1's ten, I'd say carrying over almost all of the year one characters was good enough for G2.