Bionicle 2017 straw poll discussion

I've been wondering what the bionicle fandom in general thinks will happen after the 3rd year of bionicle(2017), so I made a straw poll to see what the fans think and I'd like to see what you all think could happen with some specifics/examples

http://www.strawpoll.me/10657151

• Upvote 1

Anyone who voted anything other than "It will continue" is either not paying attention, hasn't thought things through logically, or is a G2 hater who thinks this poll is about what they want, rather than what will actually happen in reality.

I have yet to see any indication that the line might end, let alone "proof". On the other hand, there is overwhelming indication that the line will go forward beyond 2017 (again, no proof, since time travel hasn't been invented).

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'm happy if it continues. This is a new team and everything for the world of Bionicle and they will only get better at it with time.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I voted for "Discontinued and Replaced by Something New." I hope Bionicle continues past then, and I am a skeptic of all the naysayers pronouncing doom and fire all the time. But realistically, I just don't think Bionicle was a huge hit this time around. Lego normally gives their themes a three year run and if they aren't a huge hit they pull the plug. For example they nearly canned Ninjago after three years!

Yes I would love to see the sets go to 2018; but I doubt it will happen. Honestly though if the theme is canceled in 2017 (or dare I say this year as a possibility...); I won't be to sad. I survived G1 be cancelled in 2010 just fine, I'll survive this time to! G2 was an unexpected surprise for me, and I have enjoyed it while it lasted.

And honestly I am excited for G2 to end! Yes I'm not kidding! After the official story ends I will continue the story in my own ways. I have many ideas for the "Okotoverse" once the main story ends. The plethora of new parts we got in G2 plus previous CCBS lines offers many future MOC opportunities.

And why do I think it will be a new theme to replace Bionicle? If G2 is canceled early, I doubt Lego would repeat the idea of rebooting a line with Hero Factory "G2" (a far less notable theme than Bionicle was). They need something new and original. Over on Eurobricks we have had a big discussion about future themes, hoping for more organic sets such as insects or dinosaurs, or perhaps minifigure scale mech suits. A new theme would be a world of possibilities! Link to Eurobricks discussion: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134712&st=0

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I voted for "Discontinued and Replaced by Something New." I hope Bionicle continues past then, and I am a skeptic of all the naysayers pronouncing doom and fire all the time. But realistically, I just don't think Bionicle was a huge hit this time around. Lego normally gives their themes a three year run and if they aren't a huge hit they pull the plug. For example they nearly canned Ninjago after three years!

Yes I would love to see the sets go to 2018; but I doubt it will happen. Honestly though if the theme is canceled in 2017 (or dare I say this year as a possibility...); I won't be to sad. I survived G1 be cancelled in 2010 just fine, I'll survive this time to! G2 was an unexpected surprise for me, and I have enjoyed it while it lasted.

And honestly I am excited for G2 to end! Yes I'm not kidding! After the official story ends I will continue the story in my own ways. I have many ideas for the "Okotoverse" once the main story ends. The plethora of new parts we got in G2 plus previous CCBS lines offers many future MOC opportunities.

And why do I think it will be a new theme to replace Bionicle? If G2 is canceled early, I doubt Lego would repeat the idea of rebooting a line with Hero Factory "G2" (a far less notable theme than Bionicle was). They need something new and original. Over on Eurobricks we have had a big discussion about future themes, hoping for more organic sets such as insects or dinosaurs, or perhaps minifigure scale mech suits. A new theme would be a world of possibilities! Link to Eurobricks discussion: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134712&st=0

System/minifigures shouldn't be near constraction in the future in my opinion...they completely defiled hero factory with invasion and below and hf prior to that was already a mediocre/terrible theme to begin with(ccbs was a great idea though)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted that it will continue. Now I would like to clarify that I am just guessing and that it is an uneducated guess because none of us here knows the numbers and plans behind the existing supply vs demand balance of Generation 2 Bionicle and of other LEGO themes. However I don't think that a line with such a legacy and staying power would be cancelled only after 3 years. I think (uneducatedly guess to be precise) that there is a second trilogy ahead of us. I don't think Generation 2 will reach the 9 years of Generation 1, but 3 years seem too short, therefore my guess is that it might be around for 6 years - in other words, I think that its last year won't be 2017 but 2020.

It looks like Bionicle isn't as hot as Star wars or Ninjago these days (but I would like to note that not being as hot as Star Wars or Ninjago definitely doesn't mean it isn't doing well), but it has a major legacy, which brings a lot of staying power with it. Star Trek is a good example. The last two seasons of Voyager and all of Enterprise weren't the hottest things on television. Nemesis wasn't the hottest thing on the big screen, yet Star Trek didn't die. I think this is because of the gargantuan legacy it has, that it is a true legend - which gives it a lot of staying power. I think that Bionicle, while nowhere near the legendary status of Star Trek, is still a legend of LEGO, and I think (uneducatedly guess) that it will stay longer with us than some doomsayers might think  :)

• Upvote 2

IhDIrLK.jpg

I voted that it'll be replaced by something new. I love G2 dearly, but I'm just not sure if it's as successful this time around. The netflix series is a good indication that it's going to stick around longer though. It's still too early to accurately predict though imo.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

*Picks up mask of time and puts it on*

I see Doomsayers saying "it's the end" every year tell it actually ends in 3 to 6 years time.

It's being discontinued at the end of this year, fact. Though I hope they will at least do one more wave for next year. Not being a doomsayer just presenting the facts as they are given to me. Whether the facts are accurate or not? Well, we will see.

I see Doomsayers saying "it's the end" every year tell it actually ends in 3 to 6 years time.

It's being discontinued at the end of this year, fact. Though I hope they will at least do one more wave for next year. Not being a doomsayer just presenting the facts as they are given to me. Whether the facts are accurate or not? Well, we will see.
And who told you the facts the CEO of Lego?
  • Upvote 1

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Spoiler alert: They're not accurate.

Even if the 2016 line would not have sold a single unit, literally, the line would go into 2017 at the minimum. Seeing as it actually sold pretty well, it will go beyond.

These are not "facts". Claiming that the line is ending with the conclusion of this year is just the wishful thinking of a blatant hater.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki: