A long awaited meeting

Dogbert

Drowning in the sorrow of not being able to just walk out to the store and get me some Bionicle, I began thinking of the time I attempted to complete my G1 collection. My very first buy after the Glatorians, one set I desired from the very year I started to like Bionicle:

This set was Keetongu. When the 2005 titans came out I didn't have money to buy them. I got both Sidorak and Roodaka for Día de Reyes and my birthday respectively, but Keetongu always stood as the first of my ever growing list of sets I couldn't get at the time. It was only two years ago, searching for Bionicle in MercadoLibre, that I finally came across him: withouth it's box or booklet, but in near perfect condition. I immediatly bought him. When it finally arrived it was disassembled, so with the help of online instruction I experienced a mix of past and future, the joy and nostalgia of putting together a new set and the relief that comes with the closing of a long cycle.

Have you guys experienced something like this? Do you have a set you wanted but couldn't get at the time of its release and got later?

• Upvote 2

Any of the 2001-03 sets. Having only gotten into Bionicle in 04, I never had the chance to get any of the sets from the previous years. I only found out about them after looking Bionicle up online and instantly wanted to get them. It was probably about a year and half to 2 years that I would finally get my hands on some of them. Still haven't got that many of them though, especially from 01.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Always wanted a set of Nui Jaga. Wife found a great set (box, instructions, ​rubber bands) for Christmas last year. :)

​Still to come...probably a Keetongu. I [somehow] have one sealed, but I'd rather not crack it open. Would love a set of Nui Rama too.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

One of my favorite memories as a child is ~2003, when I was in France for holidays with the family; I knew the toy store there had some older BIONICLE, specifically Nui Jaga (one of two Rahi I didn't have) but nobody would take me into town because they were all lazy.

At some point somebody suggested that I walk myself, I think sarcastically. But I took them at their word, swiped some money from their wallet, walked a solid two miles into town, bought the thing, and walked back. Nobody said anything about the money or the fact that I was a missing child for like an hour. Psh.

Similarly, a year later (different part of France, but still) I walked into a French toy store out of habit and discovered that they were in possession of the only McToran I had yet to acquire, Onepu. So I snapped him up and he spent the rest of the summer running away from Nidhiki and Krekka.

• Upvote 4

Usually on ebay I'm catching up with vehicle sets because I love the complex builds and regretted not getting them in stores at the time.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I've never had an experience like that, I only started collecting bionicles a few years ago and didn't have specific ones that yearned for.

Edited by Vrokorta

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

My brother and I got Muaka and Kane-Ra at BrickFest in 2006. That's the only time I can think of I've picked up a long-retired Bionicle set that I missed out on the first time, though. Since I had two siblings, between the three of us we usually had a pretty complete collection, and if any of us skipped certain sets it was usually for a reason.

There's a few sets from the original line I don't have, mostly the small box sets or Rahi large box sets apart from those that included another character as with Lhikan and Kikanalo, Dume and Nivawk, Vezon and Fenrakk, etc. The vehicles of the later years are cool but seem like overkill; I was always more for the characters than their accessories. I won't lie though, it'd be cool to say I have a complete G1 set collection, though at this point if I were to start collecting again I think I'd go after G2.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Oh.... I own just about all of the sets from every years, yet there are a few sets that I i never got, hmm.... Of course in more recent years I have obtained certain sets I very got prior. However, the sets I never got are Takutanuva, Makuta's 2004 Kraahkan, Nuju Hordika, Roporak, Vezon and Kardas, Klakk, Mazeka, and the Yellow Jetrax T6.

In terms of Collectables I lack Many Krana, almost all of the Krana Kal, just about All of the Kraata, None of the Specialty Disk Launchers and Disks that (I think) came with them (assumingly), None of the Special Rhotuka, and None of the Blue/Teal/Cyan Polyps/Sea Squids.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Toa Metru Matau. I had gotten the other five Toa Metru at both Christmas and my Birthday but Matau always evaded me. He was the last one I needed for my Metru Collection. Until one day I was able to order the parts of the set from Lego customer service.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

i missed the first 3-4 years of Bionicle so the ever coveted toa mata passed me by

my family also did a lot of garage sale stuff tho so i got Pohatu Nuva (and his mata counterpart sans rock) which was p awesome.

then both of em broke some bits cuz i was a kid and I had siblings. oops.

but last year i had a DOUBLE-long-awaited-meeting in the form of a second out-of-box pohatu nuva!

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

One set that I had wanted for years was the Muaka and Kane-Ra. To my parents, it was pretty expensive in 2001, so I didn't get it then. However, in 2009, I found the complete set with instructions and the box intact for $20 on eBay, so I saved up the money for the set and got it. It was the first step I took in years to complete my 2001 collection. Now I have all the sets from that year except for the Manas, but I'm not willing to spend $150+ for it.

There was also the time when I found Kiina for $5 at Target in summer 2010. To me, that deal was a no-brainer.

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I always wanted Muaka and Kane-ra as a kid, but never was able to get them as they were very expensive. Though in 2014 I finally got them for my birthday, and what a blast of nostalgia that was. Though if I had them as a kid, I would lack the mental capacity to keep them together, or keep the hand painted masks in prime condition. Sometimes it's worth the wait.

I always wanted Muaka and Kane-ra as a kid, but never was able to get them as they were very expensive. Though in 2014 I finally got them for my birthday, and what a blast of nostalgia that was. Though if I had them as a kid, I would lack the mental capacity to keep them together, or keep the hand painted masks in prime condition. Sometimes it's worth the wait.

Glad you enjoyed that set as much as I did! When I was a kid I was definitely old enough for the Rahi, but I didn't have too much interest in Muaka and Kane-Ra, instead opting for the more expensive Manas. But once I finally got my hands on Muaka and Kane-Ra in 2006 I discovered that they were generally more fun for me than the Manas had been, both in terms of their builds and their functions.

It's kinda funny how so many people in this thread skipped that one set only to pick it up later on. Of course, that kind of initial reluctance could also be a factor in why LEGO made so few other Bionicle sets that expensive, as opposed to other LEGO themes where sets priced at $40+ are much more common.

I remember originally buying Turaga Vakama way back in 2002, but I lost him inside of a McDonald's right after buying him. I finally bought the set again two years ago, and he's been on my shelf ever since! :D

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I got into Bionicle around 2007, but as soon as I saw the very first Tahu set from 2001 I wanted it instantly (I think it was the mask). I never got it until 2014 on eBay, during some insane period of time where I started to obsess over Bionicle again.

During that period I also got:

-Gali and Onua's 2001 sets (They came with the Tahu set)

-The Tahu Nuva set from 2002

-All of the main Bohrok from 2002 (but Nuhvok came with an orange Krana for some reason)

-The Kohrak-Kal set from 2003

-Keerakh and Bordakh (which I got after Keerakh), two Vahki sets from 2004

Now I'm getting back into the series a third time, and I asked my parents if I could get Mantax on eBay. (This doesn't count because I originally had it back when it was out in 2007 but it just vanished without a trace)

Edited by _Rock_

I got in to Bionicle in 2006, and I never really looked backwards. I only got what I could and my brother got some too. It wasn't until 2011 that I became obsessed with 2001-2003 and I started to collect a lot from the other years as well. My first older set was Toa Matau and I got him from Amazon. I fell in love with the old sets since then. I have yet to fully complete a year's sets except for 2010, but I'm still dreaming about it. Essentially, every set was like this to me. 2011 and 2012 were very good years for me and that's a big reason why. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

• 1 month later...

For the most part, I was able to get a lot of the sets I wanted. Not always right away, but I would get them for my birthday or Christmas. I did miss the first four years of the theme though. I ended up ordering a lot of older sets from Amazon because of that. Teridax '03 was probably one of my favorite orders back then; especially considering I had always wanted the big bad of the Bionicle universe. Aside from him, Pohatu Mata was one of my favorite sets of all time. I remember opening up the box he came shipped in. The person that delievered it had packed a feather in with the sealed canister and I kept it for the longest time. :P Ah, memories.

Speaking of which, I really need to look into ordering a sealed Pohatu Nuva to finish my Pohatu collection.

• 2 weeks later...

THE EXO-TOA, for me.

I'd been wanting that set for ages. Not... right since '02, but for a good while, at least; it was the last of the large '01-'07 sets I hadn't been able to get my hands on, it always seemed to ellude me at an affordable price. And then earlier in the year... I literally just happened across it. I'd bought a bag of numerous Bionicle bits and pieces in a charity shop, just £7 for the lot, with the intention of rebuilding them all and selling them on as complete or near-complete on ebay.

To my complete surprise and incredible delight, amongst a bundle of semi-complete Rahksi and Toa, the bag actually contained an 85% complete Exo-Toa! Of course, I wasn't going to sell that one on; and, with a bit of help from Bricklink, I was able to pick up most of the pieces I needed to complete it. I'm still missing one or two, but... it's the find of my small collection nowadays, for sure.

In fact, all of the '01 Rahi I only picked up years after their releases, too; either cheap on ebay or floating around in the local toyshop about three or four years after they were no longer being produced. Those were longer ago, though - the Exo-Toa thing is still recent for me, so that feels like the most significant find for me ^^

Edited by Darth Jaller

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."