There is hope for Bionicle G2!

Everything stated below was posted in a topic a while ago by Umm Durmán and it makes a great point.

Here it is.

I have changed no words in Umm Durmán's statement this is all his.

After a lot of lurking I think it is time I share my 2 cents about this issue. Now this will be a longer post so I would like to thank you for your attention if you're reading it in advance. My whole thoughts on this matter, on these possible doomsday scenarios, could more or less be expressed in one sentence:

It looks like Bionicle is currently in the same situation as oil.

Now I would like to elaborate on this opinion of mine and tell you the longer version of the story: There have been many mixed reports lately - some say Bionicle is doing well, some say it is disappearing from shelves. I made my opinion based on trusting both of these reports - the reports saying all is allright and the reports that are saying something is amiss. The disappearing of Bionicles from shelves points out that Bionicle isn't the hottest LEGO theme out there, however the reports (including reports of top officials posted by Aanchir) saying that Bionicle is “doing well”, clearly suggest that Bionicle isn't dying, so the fears of some people seem to be unfounded.

If it's not dying and also not growing, what is happening to it? It is shrinking, but it remains strong - just as oil. Now if it weren't for the oil war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, oil production would be drastically decreased by now in order to combat the dropping oil prices. But despite that, oil isn't dying, it is still a hot commodity and it ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. And the reports about Bionicle sales (both optimistic and pessimistic) seem to suggest that the same is happening to Bionicle. To me it looks like the market for Bionicle is currently smaller for the kind of production they were expecting, but still strong enough to make the line "sell well". Other themes, like Star Wars or Ninjago might be hotter than Bionicle and it makes sense to boost them if LEGO is convinced that the market might be able to handle an increase in their production.

Building new factories is a daunting issue and short term trends are not enough to warrant the profitability of building whole new production capacities so the safer way is to decrease the production of less hot lines so that the gained production capacity might be used to increase the production of the hotter line. But that doesn't mean that production of the less hot line should be abandoned. For example: Let us hypothetically assume that LEGO uses 30% of its production capacity to build Bionicles and 70% to build Star Wars sets. Let us assume that the market would be able to handle another 10% of total production capacity worth of Star wars sets, but Bionicles are in lesser demand compared to their production (let's say by 10% of total production capacity).

This means that 90% of LEGO products are being sold. In this case it makes sense to cut a third of Bionicle production to a level of 20% and increase the production of Star Wars sets to 80%. By doing this sales of the factory increase to 100%. But does this mean Bionicle is useless? Definitely not! If LEGO would cancel Bionicle and 100% of their production capacity would build Star Wars sets, their profits would actually decrease to 80%.

Now this was just a hypothetical example to better explain what I meant with "shrinking, but not dying". Small lines are just as important in maximizing profits as larger are. The sales representatives, who have voiced concerns about the future of Bionicle stocking of shops were low ranking and therefore aware of only the current trends of stocking shops in their area of jurisdiction. Beyond that, they are completely in the dark - only the top LEGO officials and owners know the global trends and business strategies. The owners of large businesses don't get successful by telling low ranking officials absolutely everything - these things work on a need to know basis.

So to put the long story short, there is nothing that would indicate that Bionicle is about to die – there is nothing that would indicate that reported decreases in stocking of Bionicles mean its death and not merely its decrease in production

Leave your thoughts below.

• Upvote 3

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I also cited this rather detailed explanation of why claiming that Bionicle will be cancelled this years is insane. This and half a dozen other reasons.

This topic really has been beaten to death though - as for your title, seeing as it is painfully obvious Bionicle isn't even in the risk of being cancelled, I really don't think saying "there is hope" as if it were some kind of revelation is correct.

When we're talking about a probability of literally 100%, it goes far beyond mere hope.

I can't wait for the few doomsayers to pop up here as well...

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I also cited this rather detailed explanation of why claiming that Bionicle will be cancelled this years is insane. This and half a dozen other reasons.

This topic really has been beaten to death though - as for your title, seeing as it is painfully obvious Bionicle isn't even in the risk of being cancelled, I really don't think saying "there is hope" as if it were some kind of revelation is correct.

When we're talking about a probability of literally 100%, it goes far beyond mere hope.

I can't wait for the few doomsayers to pop up here as well...

I picked the title because it sounded good.

I had no doubts that Bionicle was ever in danger.

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

ENOUGH OF "Bionicle is in the same situation as oil" THAT IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. The line is not selling well, I've been told this by multiple Lego store employees, I've seen the uniters get bumped to "retiring soon" It's not because bionicle is rare and depleting, it's because THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING THEM. I hope as much as anyone else that bionicle won't end anytime soon, no matter how bland it may be, but the cold reality is that it's not doing well.

This is the whole reason why there has to be "hope" in the first place. You are all literally ignoring the facts and trying to remain hopeful. But we learned in the Inika saga, that hope is fragile.

You shouldn't compare bionicle to oil, because oil is rising in price and depleting. Bionicle sets are made in a *factory*. I was literally told they had the summer wave of bionicle sets for ONE DAY before being shipped back FROM THE LEGO STORE.

All I can tell anyone who has hope for bionicle, get your hands on as many sets as you can, before they all disappear forever. It angers me constantly that Lego didn't really even try for the new bionicles like they did on the originals.

Any other bionicle fan who DOESN'T use Bzpower will tell you the exact same thing, and look at the comments on their photos on the bionicle FB page, you will see many people like me who are just as upset about what has happened, and what is happening.

Edited by Tuuli

This is the whole reason why there has to be "hope" in the first place. You are all literally ignoring the facts and trying to remain hopeful. But we learned in the Inika saga, that hope is fragile.

Kinda ironic since I remember that when Bionicle G1 was discontinued and it was well understood that it wouldn't be back for a while, many running "bring back Bionicle" petitions would obnoxiously quote the Axonn line from the Inika saga about how lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for. So I guess when Bionicle is still running, the lesson of the Inika saga is that hope is fragile and it's better to be a Debbie Downer, and when it's gone, the lesson is that anything is possible and hope should be maintained at all costs?

All I can tell anyone who has hope for bionicle, get your hands on as many sets as you can, before they all disappear forever. It angers me constantly that Lego didn't really even try for the new bionicles like they did on the originals.

I've MET a lot of the people who have been involved with the new Bionicle, on numerous occasions. I've heard directly from them how much effort they've put into making the new Bionicle the best it could be. If the new Bionicle doesn't appeal to you, I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's something you'll just have to come to terms with. Playing the blame game and insisting people you know nothing about "didn't even try" just because the many ways they DID try don't interest or appeal to you is both insulting and profoundly ignorant.

Any other bionicle fan who DOESN'T use Bzpower will tell you the exact same thing, and look at the comments on their photos on the bionicle FB page, you will see many people like me who are just as upset about what has happened, and what is happening.

I've seen plenty of comments on the official LEGO Bionicle Facebook page that have been very positive about how the new reboot's been doing.

That said, I agree that the "Bionicle is like oil" comparison is fairly weak, because it's a product and not a commodity, and also because frankly the oil business is still one of the world's biggest industries so "shrinking", in its case, isn't the same as with something that has already fallen into relative obscurity compared to other themes like City, Friends, and Ninjago. Whether or not Bionicle is still popular enough to be sustainable, there's no denying it's not the monumental craze it was in 2002, and that other themes that resonate better with new generations of kids have surpassed it.

Furthermore, Bionicle's fate is already being debated at length in other topics. Creating a new topic about it, no matter what the first post's perspective might be, isn't going to put the arguing to rest; it'll just put more fuel on the fire. And frankly, I'm tired of discussing this. Bionicle G2 will end when it ends. There's nothing to be gained by predicting when it will end or how close it is to ending — whether you have a positive attitude about its future or a negative attitude, you don't win any kind of special points or prestige for being right, and when it finally reaches its end it won't matter who saw it coming first.

Instead of endlessly quibbling over how much Bionicle G2 we have to look forward to, better to just keep enjoying whatever we enjoy about it while it's here — and if you don't enjoy anything about it, then go back to doing whatever you DO enjoy as a Bionicle fan, or even just start spending more of your time on other interests, because nobody gains anything from you getting personally invested in the status of something that doesn't even interest you.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 7

I just don't get why we need a topic quoting a comment made in a previous topic (one that is still open to talk on), while trying to forcefully force optimistic viewpoints into the spotlight. It's a redundant topic.

Now I don't think the "doom and gloom" predictions many Bionicle fans keep saying is completly true, nor do I think responding to negativity with unrealistic optimism is the answer either. The fact is many reports do indeed suggest the line isn't doing well at least in the US. Since I am not the CEO of Lego I can't tell you what this means; but until Lego says something official everything about the future of Bionicle is still just fanboy speculation.

EDIT: I like Aanchir's simple point "Bionicle will end when it ends." When the line was cancelled in 2010 the world didn't explode, nations didn't crumple. The lack of Bionicle didn't destroy the economy, and plagues didn't come forth. Bionicle ending is just as dramatic as any other Lego product line ending. They stop selling it, sets retire, Bricklink scalping increases in price. Seriously life goes on!

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I was literally told they had the summer wave of bionicle sets for ONE DAY before being shipped back FROM THE LEGO STORE.

For what it's worth, my local LEGO Store still caries the entire summer wave, and I've heard of others carrying it as well, so the fact that yours had their sets sent back is probably the exception, not the rule, and there's probably another reason behind it other than poor sales.

Anyway, I personally think that while BIONICLE isn't one of LEGO's most popular themes, it is still selling pretty well. The idea that the sets are to be canceled after this year seems improbable to me. At the very least, LEGO will probably complete their 3-year plan, and have the sets end afterwards, and that's assuming it's their worst selling line. Even then, we may even have one or two more years afterwards. At least, that's my take on the whole situation.

Edited by jed1ndy
  • Upvote 4

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Everything stated below was posted in a topic a while ago by Umm Durmán and it makes a great point.

Why did you make a whole new thread? Couldn't you have just said in the original thread "You make a great point."?

I've seen plenty of comments on the official LEGO Bionicle Facebook page that have been very positive about how the new reboot's been doing

Since when are Facebook comments a useful source of information?

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 4

Why did you make a whole new thread? Couldn't you have just said in the original thread "You make a great point."?

I've seen plenty of comments on the official LEGO Bionicle Facebook page that have been very positive about how the new reboot's been doing

I would agree on the Facebook comments being positive. Bionicle seems to be doing well, despite a shortage of TV episodes, many sets "retiring soon" in LegoShop.com, and Lego not celebrating Bionicle's 15th anniversary this year, 2016. Even thought that Star Wars and Nexo Knights are big things this year, but Bionicle is just doing fine. True, there are less sets than last year and even the G1 years, so maybe Lego is saving enough money to make more next year. Lego just tries to not have the same problem that made it cancelled Bionicle in 2010. I think Bionicle's strong points this year are the Unity and gear functions. So, let's think positive. Lego never made an announcement yet. If Facebook says positive about Bionicle, it means that people don't want it to end (early) like in 2010 (I think this is because they are G1 fans who grew up with Bionicle or the G2 fans), and Bionicle seems to be doing well that way. I mean, if people in Facebook like it and find it interesting, then Bionicle should keep going.:)

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 3

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

ENOUGH OF "Bionicle is in the same situation as oil" THAT IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. The line is not selling well, I've been told this by multiple Lego store employees, I've seen the uniters get bumped to "retiring soon" It's not because bionicle is rare and depleting, it's because THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING THEM. I hope as much as anyone else that bionicle won't end anytime soon, no matter how bland it may be, but the cold reality is that it's not doing well.

Now you see, if this was the reverse, with literally everyone telling you to stop, you'd scream even more and say that you're just speaking the truth. Double standards much? Also, Lego store employees ARE NOT THE SAME AS LEGO. So many people have told you this so many times. The Uniters got bumped to retiring soon because according to a normal schedule THEY ARE RETIRING SOON. And if you're so busy looking at the Lego shop, notice that several sets are SOLD OUT COMPLETELY. Over and over and over, people bring facts to these topics. And over and over and over, you say the same thing with literally nothing to back it up.

First off, Timelord realized this was a bad title. Secondly, that was a Metru Nui quote, not an Inika quote. But just like everything else you've said you've proven you don't really pay attention.

You shouldn't compare bionicle to oil, because oil is rising in price and depleting. Bionicle sets are made in a *factory*. I was literally told they had the summer wave of bionicle sets for ONE DAY before being shipped back FROM THE LEGO STORE.

Here, you're defeating yourself. Let's say for a moment I believe everything you are saying. According to you, Bionicle sets are disappearing from the shelves. And, I think despite our viewpoints on the topic, everyone can agree the sets are getting more expensive. Both of these factors apply to oil and Bionicle from your viewpoint, and then you say it's not a fair comparison. You literally say oil is becoming scarce, say it's not the same as Bionicle, and then say Bionicle is become scarce on the next line.

I think anyone who already cares about the line is buying all the sets they want. And you're making it seem like sets are going to be mass recalled - there are plenty of sets on the secondary market, and really, I can still go grab some 2015 sets from my local store. And, once again with your "not as much effort" nonsense, until you provide statistics showing how much money and time Lego put into G1 and G2, your claims are nothing.

I can't say much here, as I don't use Facebook, but did you consider that, y'know, those people might be misinformed? A small subset of users on a website full of people who have other things to do, vs. a dedicated staff who can go to events and hear direct news from Lego?

EDIT: Sorry if I sound hostile here, I'm just getting tired of having to say the same thing over and over. I have nothing against Tuuli, I'm just debating. That is the purpose of the forum, is it not?

Edited by Terrorsaur
  • Upvote 7

True, there are less sets than last year and even the G1 years, so maybe Lego is saving enough money to make more next year.

For a juggernaut company like Lego, I don't think there's much need to save money for next year the way you describe it.

If Lego thought more Bionicles would sell, they'd make more.

and Lego not celebrating Bionicle's 15th anniversary this year, 2016

Why would they celebrate Bionicle 15th anniversary? If the line is struggling the way some people here seem to think, why would they want to call back to better days?

Plus it would just be confusing to the younger kids who don't know anything about G1.

I mean, if people in Facebook like it and find it interesting, then Bionicle should keep going. :)

Not "people in Facebook". That implies all Facebook users have a positive view on Bionicle.

It is, in fact, "people on Facebook who went to the Lego Facebook page and put a positive comment". If you're going to the trouble of posting a comment on Facebook, it's either going to be a very positive or negative comment. Probably most people will have positive comments since Lego hasn't kicked any kittens or done something to really tick people off.

So, Facebook comments are not a good source of info. 

snip

Translation: "I dislike Bionicle therefore I want it to end, therefore it will end."

You keep "internet shouting" about how it is obvious that Bionicle is ending, that anyone who thinks differently is mistaken. This began with condescension and has devolved into outright insults.

And yet you're the one incapable of backing up their claims with any proof or even a shred of evidence. Whenever multiple users call you out on your absolute lack of logic or tact, you ignore them, never reply and simply post another rant about how Bionicle is obviously ending and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Even if what you claim about talking to Lego store employees is true, which I highly doubt, that is hardly evidence. Aanchir often brought up retailer exclusivity as a counterpoint, also pointing out that other, non-Bionicle Lego sets are also absent from Lego stores. 

And then there is the extremely arrogant viewpoint that the USA is the center of the world and the only market that matters. Even if not a single Bionicle set would have been sold in the US - not a single one - the line wouldn't be cancelled. It would simply move out of NA and stick to Europe, where countless users report high sales (Another common point you never acknowledge).

Considering that isn't happening, and the line is selling in the USA, though the magnitude of said sales is in question (I think the reports of it selling bad in the US are also exaggerated, but that is entirely irrelevant.).

You have a single arguing point, which has been refuted and debunked multiple times, that you continuously wail on and use as the basis of your pretty loaded comments about how Bionicle is ending.

Seeing as you continuously claim that the story is bland, yet also admit to purposefully avoiding any story material, and you've claimed that there are no animals in G2 in spite of the entire small-set line of 2016 being based on wildlife, your logic has come into question countless times. You better start backing up your haughty claims with actual evidence, bud.

It isn't, mate. End of story. Based on your behavior up until this point you'll just ignore this. Even if you respond, it will be some kind of insult mixed with a variation on the sentence "Bionicle is ending and you're fooling yourself not to think so" - you might as well save yourself the effort.

This entire discussion has completely devolved into needless bickering over something we have literally no agency over. Add to that the mounting amount of evidence favoring one side while basically nothing at all favoring the other, there is no point to any of this...

Until now I've been pretty vocal in all discussions about the misconception about the cancellation of the line, but I'm just going to quit it now since there is zero discussion value. This is BZPower, not Reddit.

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 8

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Never said or implied they were. Note the context of that comment: in the post I quoted, Tuuli claimed that comments on the Bionicle Facebook page from non-BZPower users were overwhelmingly negative, so I was just observing that from my experience, that isn't true.

I understand, but hope alone won't make Lego improve on the story, I can honestly see Bionicle surviving one last wave for 2017, and the story will conclude. Though don't get me wrong, I want Lego to try and fix their mistakes. They owe it to us, the loyal and everlasting fans of Bionicle. This new bionicle has way too much room for improvement, they have the sets pretty much figured out but the story has a long, long way to go. Though we won't make it that long at this rate. They are literally just trying get rid of the last of the bionicle sets. It's honestly depressing and makes me so very angry.

I understand, but hope alone won't make Lego improve on the story, I can honestly see Bionicle surviving one last wave for 2017, and the story will conclude. Though don't get me wrong, I want Lego to try and fix their mistakes. They owe it to us, the loyal and everlasting fans of Bionicle. This new bionicle has way too much room for improvement, they have the sets pretty much figured out but the story has a long, long way to go. Though we won't make it that long at this rate. They are literally just trying get rid of the last of the bionicle sets. It's honestly depressing and makes me so very angry.

Tuuli the sets are selling fine and you're main argument was that they din't. The G2 story and world building is fine as G1 had hear this 9 years to make there story and for me still G2 is good as it is. G1 was made in a time that Lego was so different to the one from now i even consider Lego of now superior to Lego of 90's & 00's and Lego does not owe us NOTHING as the've done a good job already to the point that the Bionicle world is easier and maybe more known than the Ninjago world not story world. We might not have Greg but at least we have a team this time.

• Upvote 3

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I understand, but hope alone won't make Lego improve on the story

Do you realize how superfluous the story is? It wasn't until relatively recently that so many of their set lines got legitimate storytelling.

They owe it to us, the loyal and everlasting fans of Bionicle

No they don't. Lego's loyalties lie with whoever is buying their stuff. I bet you aren't. Why should they listen to you?

• Upvote 2

I get the impression that those people who were crying for a continuation last year are this year the doom and gloom prophets. They wanted a continuation, they found a reboot. They spent twelve months trying to make the reboot a continuation, and when the fact of the reboot became undeniable, they went into full-on denial without quitting the franchise. See also: the people who fail to differentiate Pohatu Nuva from Pohatman.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Umm, but YOU were the one who said you still had "hope" for the line. Everyone else has provided facts that the line will continue. They owe us nothing, you aren't loyal. Quality is subjective.

I'm gonna take a page from Pohaturon's book. There's no point arguing with you, you're clearly just going to keep trolling everyone. I'll wait until actual discussion returns to Bionicle discussion.

• Upvote 5

Bionicle just makes me feel so tired. When it was first announced I was so excited, ready to be immersed, but there feels like there is no immersive quality about G2. Maybe it's not even the themes fault, I honestly am probably just dead inside. The problem with G2 is that it wasn't made exclusively for us, though I still have to question the directions taken on where they were going with the theme.

All Bionicle feels like it is now is a sweet memory. G2 has been getting better, but all of this panic just makes it unenjoyable, with plenty of help from the uncertainty of the line. We've gotten older, and I guess Bionicle suffers from the ideal that stories and how they're told for kids have to be drastically different from that of adults.

I mean seriously, we're comparing Bionicle to OIL? That's just ridiculous in terms of the validity of the simile as well as the ironic light it casts on the fanbase and the reboot as a whole.

If G2 isn't doing well or mediocre, then I really have to ask who it was for, because the kids aren't buying, as well as a substantial amount of the devoted fans.

I'm totally grand on the fact that Bionicle is a reboot, but it fails as a reboot because it tries to be something it can't. It's looking at what people call "the good ol days of Bionicle", the earlier times like 2001 and trying to be some of that as well as aiming towards a younger audience, but all the while it disregards all of what else Bionicle was in all it's other years. Fans don't just want a continuation, they want a Bionicle that holds the spirit of all of the theme, that doesn't try to live up to a single nostalgia lathered few years while trying to be something else for the younger audiences.

Everyone I've asked that loved Bionicle, and many friends I have that still love it weren't even aware of there being a reboot. I bought all of the 2015 toa and that's it. I never even brought the novels because I forgot, and lost interest. Bionicle needs to decide exactly what it wants to be.

• Upvote 2

Kinda ironic since I remember that when Bionicle G1 was discontinued and it was well understood that it wouldn't be back for a while, many running "bring back Bionicle" petitions would obnoxiously quote the Axonn line from the Inika saga about how lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for. So I guess when Bionicle is still running, the lesson of the Inika saga is that hope is fragile and it's better to be a Debbie Downer, and when it's gone, the lesson is that anything is possible and hope should be maintained at all costs?

I've MET a lot of the people who have been involved with the new Bionicle, on numerous occasions. I've heard directly from them how much effort they've put into making the new Bionicle the best it could be. If the new Bionicle doesn't appeal to you, I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's something you'll just have to come to terms with. Playing the blame game and insisting people you know nothing about "didn't even try" just because the many ways they DID try don't interest or appeal to you is both insulting and profoundly ignorant.

I've seen plenty of comments on the official LEGO Bionicle Facebook page that have been very positive about how the new reboot's been doing.That said, I agree that the "Bionicle is like oil" comparison is fairly weak, because it's a product and not a commodity, and also because frankly the oil business is still one of the world's biggest industries so "shrinking", in its case, isn't the same as with something that has already fallen into relative obscurity compared to other themes like City, Friends, and Ninjago. Whether or not Bionicle is still popular enough to be sustainable, there's no denying it's not the monumental craze it was in 2002, and that other themes that resonate better with new generations of kids have surpassed it.Furthermore, Bionicle's fate is already being debated at length in other topics. Creating a new topic about it, no matter what the first post's perspective might be, isn't going to put the arguing to rest; it'll just put more fuel on the fire. And frankly, I'm tired of discussing this. Bionicle G2 will end when it ends. There's nothing to be gained by predicting when it will end or how close it is to ending — whether you have a positive attitude about its future or a negative attitude, you don't win any kind of special points or prestige for being right, and when it finally reaches its end it won't matter who saw it coming first.Instead of endlessly quibbling over how much Bionicle G2 we have to look forward to, better to just keep enjoying whatever we enjoy about it while it's here — and if you don't enjoy anything about it, then go back to doing whatever you DO enjoy as a Bionicle fan, or even just start spending more of your time on other interests, because nobody gains anything from you getting personally invested in the status of something that doesn't even interest you.
It's doesn't matter how hard the guys behind the series tries, if they lack the vision, direction, passion and general intelligence when it comes to handling the property it was bound to be bungled. G2, regardless how many hoops you can jump through to defend it is such a massive waste of potential for such a rich captivating IP. They've stripped the heart and values of bionicle in terms of what made the story and lore interesting in the first place but kept the general superficial qualities. By all means it's a shell of it former self. I don't care how hard they tried (participation and "at least you tried!" trophies shouldn't be a thing), the failed to capture the public in the same way because the theme isnt really unique or interesting, and any interesting about it is simply borrowed from the old stuff. Heck all the lore and names and stories of any substance and stuff are being inserted retroactively after the fact instead of at launch. If Ryder had to fight the story team to even give major characters names (and from his interview it really seems the story team aren't really all that sure what they're doing) that's a red flag. All this "Debbie downer" talk is just to dispel any merit to people with legitimate criticisms about this terribly flawed relaunch

Bionicle needs to fall into the hands of true visionaries like faber and Bob Thompson again, people with actual direction. Lego doesn't realise what they truly have with bionicle and seeing them waste such grandiose potential is genuinely upsetting. I wouldn't mind seeing it go if it meant it would fall into better hands later down the line

Edited by Ids5621
  • Upvote 2

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

To try and keep the discussion a bit more even and civil, this topic is being locked (along with the opposite-stance topic) and a new general topic for discussing the near future prospects of Bionicle is being made.  Feel free to continue the discussion there, but remember to be respectful to other members and back up your assertions!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42