Discussion: The Future of Bionicle G2

GSR

I'm just wondering if bionicle needs more ccbs or more technic because they both offer great things, but maybe ccbs can be used as structural elements instead of just being used for limbs

I think using CCBS without technic isn't taking full advantage of it because a large part of CCBS is the technic holes and pins in its parts. Plus, the sets we're getting now are FAR more interesting than whatever Hero Factory was churning out back in the day. There's so much more potential and things you can do with MOC's because Technic allows for an escape from the exclusive skeleton and armor look you'd get from bones and shells.

Technic is just an evolution, an extension of CCBS. Using it can give a better structure and more interesting room for design, something the 2016 sets seem to accomplish very well.

I don't the sets are a large part of what's "wrong" with G2. Of course there's room for improvement, especially with the villains (both structurally and conceptually), but we've also gotten some great heroes and small sets that innovate and make the greatest use of their parts and building system. It feels like more and more LEGO is evolving CCBS as I've always wanted it to and it's become an evolution of its original self, allowing for more complex and interesting things to be made.

The villians in g2 have been either great(skull scorpio, umarak, skull slicer, storm beast) or they've been mediocre(lava beast, quake beast, skull basher), but I think they should have a few sets that use a lot of ccbs and technic in almost a witch doctor way and maybe a general grievous type set that uses a lot of ccbs to make giant figures.

I love technic and I've made many custom gearboxes and mocs with it, but I think if you're gonna use ccbs then use it to make big, high piece count things and not just for making more articulation for small sets and mocs  

Technic is great and you can never have too much of it!

HF clearly had overly simplified sets, but when compared to small and medium sets from g1 they improved and small and medium sets from g2 have clearly improved when compared to hf.

But, I'm saying we should have sets that have custom gearboxes and different types of gearfunctions. We should have ccbs and technic, but maybe a few sets that use different sizes of bones to create custom torsos instead of the standard ccbs torso piece

Edited by LimeFlavouredLibertarian24

But, I'm saying we should have sets that have custom gearboxes and different types of gearfunctions. We should have ccbs and technic, but maybe a few sets that use different sizes of bones to create custom torsos instead of the standard ccbs torso piece

I could see the torso you described being an intersting idea, although I think we've got plenty of creative and new gear functions between the 2 waves of toa and their gear functions, the creatures, LoSS, basher, Scorpio, storm beast, the destroyer, and so on. Every wave introduces a new function of some sort, and I hope that's a trend that continues, because I'm loving it more than a 20 piece chicken nuggets from McDonald's.

How many times do I have to explain that bionicle is not like oil, oil is a depleting natural resource which is rising in value,

Now I don't mean this in an offensive manner so I in no way am aiming to attack you with this post but this has to be the most ridiculous statements in the history of BZP. 2016 is, for the oil industry, by far the worst year in more than a decade. On pretty much all of the major and reputable economic news portals you could find countless pages on the current status of the petroleum market, but to read it in its entirety could take hours and I don't think that a Bionicle discussion should turn too much into an oil discussion so I will instead post a very good article from the New York Times which pretty much sums up the most important things to know about where the petroleum industry is this year - everything in a rather brief article:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/energy-environment/oil-prices.html?_r=0

For many years the price of a barrel of oil hovered around 100 dollars. This year's February it reached only something above 26 dollars and even this day it still is on a level of only 46 dollars per barrel. That is about half the relatively stable value it had in the beginning years of this decade and - 50 % isn't exactly my idea of "rising in value". In the Bloomberg link below you can find an ever updating sheet of current prices of crude oil:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy

Now I believe it was in another thread that a forumer objected about the comparison between oil and Bionicle saying that one is a product while the other is a commodity and that one is a multitrillion industry while the second is only a multimillion industry, however these are a mere plaster on the bricks and mortar of the core concepts of economy, and when I compared those two I didn't have these details in my mind. What I had in mind were the universal fundamentals of economy and trade, which have defined economy since the first trading of goods so many thousands of years ago and will define it until the very last traders - namely the balance between supply and demand. Even the New York Times article I posted said in its first sentence that the current status of the oil industry comes down to these very fundamentals:

This a complicated question, but it boils down to the simple economics of supply and demand.

It doesn't matter whether you call something a product or a commodity. It doesn't matter whether its financial flow is in the millions or in the trillions. It is still a question of supply and demand and if demand decreases, and you think that it will continue to be lower than the planned supply, then it is necessary to curb supply, whether it is oil or Bionicle sets. That is what I meant by my original post.

As to the apparent status of Bionicle Generation 2, I stand by my original post. To the day I am typing this post there is nothing that would suggest that Bionicle is dying and not merely shrinking to bring supply to the level of demand, however there are countless reports and indications that clearly suggest that Bionicle might be shrinking its supply but it is healthy and is definitely not dying. Smaller demand isn't the same as no demand at all and demand has to be covered by supply, whether it is as large as projected, or smaller.

• Upvote 4

IhDIrLK.jpg

See my problem comes from me trying to voice my opinion, I try to back my claims up with as many facts as I can find, and while I could certainly be wrong, at this time, it looks like I'm absolutely right. And it's not just my word, it's the word of all Lego store employees (at my location) and let alone the amounts of threads created discussing the fate of bionicle. Everyone can sure be happy happy joy joy about the line, you deserve to be, but realize that some of us are disappointed and expected more out of it. So yeah, sorry if I expected true vision out of bionicle, I should've known it was just going to be another kids' only little super hero story. There is no vision with the new bionicle, that hasn't been borrowed from the original run.

Every time I try to put in my two cents I'm immediately shut down by the arrogant community, and told that there's something wrong with me that I don't like it. So honestly, I've been resorting to tactics in which I may even come off as a bully, but that's only because people REFUSE to acknowledge why I don't like the line, and why it's not doing well. So I'm not even going to try anymore, I said what I thought already. If bionicle keeps on going, cool, bionicle is amazing and you can call me an idiot. But if it ends early, maybe try to learn why it didn't go over so well.

Tuuli, you have literally done nothing to back up your claims. "Unnamed LEGO employees have told me this" is hearsay, not evidence. You also seem to equate people who work at LEGO Stores with the same people who cover supply and demand and have direct access to information about the line and LEGO itself, not people who sell toys.

You continue to go on tangents about doom and gloom to avoid the original argument and you continue to insult the people who disagree with you, along with this community, because you don't want to be wrong. You want us to be wrong. You call us "arrogant" when you yourself carry an air of arrogance, making yourself out to be more intelligent than us about the line's future and acting like you have personal connections with LEGO when all you did was talk to some guy who works at a store and now believe yourself a prophet. We have repeatedly acknowledged why you don't like the line and we have repeatedly told you your reasons are absolute bull because they are based off of a goal to completely avoid any information about G2 and to pretend you know everything about it despite that. You act contrary just to be contrary and you ignore what people say so you can play the victim and pretend we are just "shutting you down" instead of trying to argue a point with you that you continue to avoid.

​To focus a bit more on the first half of your post, a reboot borrowing elements from its source material is completely normal. If it did not, it would not be recognizable as that source material. The Amazing Spider-Man would not be a recognizable reboot if it did not feature the original origin story of the titular hero. The many, many reboots of the Transformers line would not be recognizable if it didn't have shared elements that call back to previous iterations, whether it be a character's design or certain storyline elements. Also, a toyline MEANT FOR CHILDREN being a "little kid's super hero story" is not bad either. That's the whole frickin' point.

You are the reason these topics about G2 that are meant to be discussions on what people like and dislike it (and its future) continue to go south and I think I speak for all of us when I say I am glad you are ending this finally. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll screw off and return to lurking in this topic I never intended to post in to begin with.

Edited by Tarn of the DJD
  • Upvote 8

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

@Aanchir

I'm not sure where the "completely custom arms and legs" thing is coming from. What I'm talking about is how virtually every Toa-sized figure from Hero Factory season 2 through BIONICLE 2016 has had pretty much the same build - stack CCBS skeleton parts together, buckle armor on, then maybe buckle armor on that armor. I've seen one or two exceptions but the arms and legs look the same from all the angles I've seen.

The comment about "completely custom upper arms and lower legs" was to illustrate that rather than being as formulaic as you seem to think, Toa builds are frankly less formulaic than ever at this point! The "beams+shells" building style for limbs has been the status quo for just about all Toa and Toa-sized figures since the Toa Metru (even though those beams and shells were more specialized and connected by pins). Before that, the status quo was single-piece limb beams without any kind of shells at all So in that respect, even typical CCBS limbs were not really that much more formulaic than the sets that had preceded them.

But in this year's sets, Lewa, Pohatu, and Kopaka all have custom upper arms built from Vorox shells, joint pieces, and Technic connectors, and Lewa even has custom lower legs using similar pieces as well. That's basically a first for Toa. How many Toa can you name from any previous year that didn't just use dedicated limb beams and limb shells (plus one or two pins/axles) for their arms and legs? I guess Toa Mahri Hewkii and some of the Phantoka/Mistika added blade pieces to the equation but other than that I can't think of a lot of examples.

You're completely right in that the Toa-sized sets were very similar in terms of construction. That's always been the case and it's not a bad thing. The problem is when there's no exceptions to that - for example, the Rahi, the Boxor, and the Titans. Sure, I understand that Titans may not sell as much - this is probably because they are marketed most to younger folks and younger folks usually have less money. But they are the spice of any BIONICLE year. Even the least interesting Titans, Sidorak and Nocturn (cool parts but rather dull build) were fun. Without those, a theme is much more homogenous.

Raw part counts DO matter, make no mistake, but so does overall look.

I definitely do enjoy these varied and complex sorts of builds, but I do not feel like Bionicle G2 has been totally lacking in those. Not only have there been more build variations among Toa than in many previous years, but there have also been sets like Lord of Skull Spiders, Skull Scorpio, the elemental creatures, and both versions of Umarak that feature considerable innovations and use Technic extensively instead of just sticking to a generic humanoid skeleton. The main place these builds fall short of old-school Rahi and titans is that they're usually not as big, not that they're not as varied.

Umarak the Destroyer stands out as one set that is bigger, more parts-intensive, and packed with more functions than many G1 titans, and it'd be interesting to see if there's any chances of getting more sets like that in the future — possibly even at the $30 or $35 price points like Takanuva from 2008, Witch Doctor from 2011, and General Grievous from 2015.

See my problem comes from me trying to voice my opinion, I try to back my claims up with as many facts as I can find, and while I could certainly be wrong, at this time, it looks like I'm absolutely right. And it's not just my word, it's the word of all Lego store employees (at my location) and let alone the amounts of threads created discussing the fate of bionicle. Everyone can sure be happy happy joy joy about the line, you deserve to be, but realize that some of us are disappointed and expected more out of it. So yeah, sorry if I expected true vision out of bionicle, I should've known it was just going to be another kids' only little super hero story. There is no vision with the new bionicle, that hasn't been borrowed from the original run.

I recognize you are disappointed. I can tell you expected more. I do not agree with you about Bionicle G2 not having any vision that wasn't borrowed from G1. It definitely takes a lot of its cues from G1, as it must lest it fall into the trap of being "Bionicle in name only". But it also refines many elements from G1 and explores them from a different direction.

Case in point: In G1, Mata Nui and Makuta's relationship was distant, almost to the point of being non-existent: Makuta served the will of Mata Nui just like pretty much every other being in the universe, but his higher rank didn't come with any sort of special familiarity or any reason to rationally call him and Mata Nui "brothers". In G2, Makuta and Ekimu are literal brothers, which shapes their relationship: Makuta's jealousy is portrayed sympathetically, rather than as mere megalomania or delusions of grandeur, and it genuinely hurts Ekimu to find that his brother has gone down such a dangerous path and he is forced to strike him down. This culminates in what, for me, is one of the most emotionally powerful panels of ANY Bionicle comic.

Every time I try to put in my two cents I'm immediately shut down by the arrogant community, and told that there's something wrong with me that I don't like it. So honestly, I've been resorting to tactics in which I may even come off as a bully, but that's only because people REFUSE to acknowledge why I don't like the line, and why it's not doing well. So I'm not even going to try anymore, I said what I thought already. If bionicle keeps on going, cool, bionicle is amazing and you can call me an idiot. But if it ends early, maybe try to learn why it didn't go over so well.

I've been accused of being arrogant before. There might be some truth to that, and I apologize if I ever sound insensitive. I do not think that there's anything wrong with you for not liking it — you have your reasons for disliking it, and you can't force yourself to like it any more than I can force myself NOT to. Nor should you be expected to.

Bionicle G1 and G2 both have countless strengths and weaknesses, and which generation a person thinks is better usually boils down to the highly subjective matter of which strengths and/or weaknesses matter the most to them personally. I won't pretend there's nothing about G2 that I'm disappointed or underwhelmed by (like the lack of an immersive adventure game), but for me these things are largely outweighed by the many aspects of it I DO enjoy. Conversely, there might be things you like about G2, but they are outweighed by the many things about it that disappoint you.

I will not call you an idiot if Bionicle does keep going, because as I said in one of the topics this one replaced, there's no reward for being right about a prediction, and anyhow I don't really think there's been enough evidence to make a firm call on how many years of Bionicle G2 to expect. On the one hand, it has not resulted in any sort of obvious spike in the popularity of constraction; on the other hand, it'd be unusual for LEGO to discontinue their core constraction theme without first taking at least two years to develop a new one to replace it. I do fully expect Bionicle to continue with at least one wave next year, but I would not be shocked or distraught if 2017 were its last year, just uncertain about what that would mean for constraction going forward.

All that said: if you're worried about sounding like a bully that's something you should probably be mindful of. Because while nobody's entirely responsible for what other people think of them, people aren't entirely responsible for feeling hurt by the things other people say, either. If somebody says something that hurts you, or makes you feel attacked, it can be good to take a step back and try to explain what it is they said that was so hurtful and why it was hurtful, instead of throwing that anger right back at them.

And if you ever find somebody who seems like they're crossing the line from mere argument/debate into bullying or harassment, definitely take it up with a BZPower staff member and you can explore your options together. I know I've said some harsh things before, and the BZPower staff tend to be very good at reminding me to dial it back a notch. And those times that a warning or reminder isn't enough and somebody really just wants to stir up trouble, the staff have other means of helping to make sure the community stays a safe place for you to share your opinions with the community.

This goes for everyone in this topic, no matter what side of the current debate you're on. Arguments that escalate endlessly are no fun for anyone, and while it's OK for people to share opinions that make you angry, they shouldn't be attacking you, harassing you, or making you feel unsafe.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 9

In terms of new parts for future waves of G2, I'd like to see the following:

• NO golden masks. Golden Toa masks have gotten really stale, in my opinion. I would much prefer fully translucent masks. Silver or bronze masks would be cool as well. Just no gold. I want the masks to stand out on all the Toa next year.
  • Both Vahi halves, of course  It'd be especially cool if the lower half could clip to any mask released that year, or at least certain characters. So perhaps Tahu could pull a Vakama and put the Vahi on over his mask?  :o 

• The MOUP would be really nifty if it had trans-black, trans-purple, or trans-red 'flame' emanating from it. I'd especially love it if the flames were detachable, thus allowing one to show it 'active' and 'inactive'. But it's already a very strange yet cool mask, which is why it's my current profile picture. 
  • Trans-RED armor. I don't want Makuta's titan form to have any neon-orange on it. He'd look better with armor that makes him stand out from other villain sets.
  • Bronze and/or copper armor. I want to see more metallic colors that don't get used a lot. 
  • New bone pieces, such as a standard-length bone piece with a ball joint on each end.  
  • Unique villager masks, perhaps?

As for sets, I just want a good set of Toa, Makuta as a Mask Maker and an imposing titan, and some solid villain sets. (G2 Rahkshi, anyone?) Some villager sets would be very nice to see as well. Or maybe some System sets, a la 2006? I've been itching to have a miniature City of the Mask Makers for ages now. 

Regarding the story, I just hope that it's well written and makes sense.

• Upvote 2

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Do you think if we get small islanders as sets, do you think they'll be super basic in their builds or do you think they'll have some sort of gearfunction or custom build?

It could honestly go either way. It depends on how small each character is. Say, if we were to get a Bingzak figure, he'd probably have one-bone limbs because he's a child character. In order to better fit the $10 price tag, he could come with something functional to add more playability, such as a small catapult.

On the flip side, Harvali would end up being full-sized, being an adult character. (I at least assume so.) Therefore, she likely wouldn't come with a function or mini-build. Besides, giving the villagers gear functions wouldn't make much sense to me, since the Protectors didn't have any, and they're relatively stronger than a simple villager.

96DIFYm.png

So you're saying islander sets wouldn't have elbows or knees? What if they used the smallest sized ccbs bone and that would allow for knees and elbows. Harvali would probably be the size of vizuna(protector of jungle).

What if the islander sets came with masks that are blended in different solid colours like it shows in the graphic novel battle of the mask makers

• Upvote 2

So you're saying islander sets wouldn't have elbows or knees? What if they used the smallest sized ccbs bone and that would allow for knees and elbows. Harvali would probably be the size of vizuna(protector of jungle).

What if the islander sets came with masks that are blended in different solid colours like it shows in the graphic novel battle of the mask makers

Narmoto and Izotor have no elbows and protectors are supposed to be bigger than standard villagers so if even two of the protectors don't have elbows I can't see how mere villagers could have them. But I agree with you that not giving Narmoto and Izotor elbows was a bad decision - they should have made their arms like those of the other four protectors, who have elbows  :(

That's one of the reasons why I think we won't see sets of standard villagers, at least not commercial sets. Though I think there is the possibility that such sets could be promotional giveaways like the six McDonald Matoran in 2001  :???:

IhDIrLK.jpg

Narmoto and Izotor have no elbows and protectors are supposed to be bigger than standard villagers so if even two of the protectors don't have elbows I can't see how mere villagers could have them. But I agree with you that not giving Narmoto and Izotor elbows was a bad decision - they should have made their arms like those of the other four protectors, who have elbows  :(

That's one of the reasons why I think we won't see sets of standard villagers, at least not commercial sets. Though I think there is the possibility that such sets could be promotional giveaways like the six McDonald Matoran in 2001  :???:

Wait, Protectors are supposed to be physically bigger than non-protector villagers? Why? Is this canon?

I thought Protectors were just the descendants of previous Protectors who get to wear a mask with actual powers and have access to better weapons and armor, also handed down to the next generation of Protectors - but technically, they're still just Okotoan villagers.

As far as I know, Protectors are physically the same as regular villagers. Maybe more "fit" or whatever the Bionicle equivalent of that is, but are they actually bigger, beyond the regular variety range within a species?

I mean, it's not like the leader of an indigenous tribe is a giant superhuman - they're just the kids of the previous chieftain and wear a fancy hat.

In this case, the villager sets work - in theory - but do they make sense from a business standpoint? No "rebuilding" took place like in 2002, nor was there a "diminishing" that would differentiate them like the 2004 matoran, and again, they weren't rebuilt by an insane superbeing explaining the 2006 matoran, nor were they mutated by water like the 2007.

There is no canon explanation to justify a build drastically different from the Protectors, however just re-hashing the Protector physique with new weapons and armor add-ons would be pretty disappointing, to me at least. 

I'd rather see one of the big sets of the two 2017 waves to be a villager + mount/vehicle combo. Price it like the Kopaka + Melum Unity set, use the Melum budget for a villager with little armor and use the Kopaka budget for either a large animal the villager can ride, or some rudimentary vehicle. Better yet, combine the two and make a freaking chariot.

I love small sets, and the creatures were great, and as much as I loved the Matoran in G1, I doubt the Okotoan Villagers would be interesting enough as sets to warrant yet another group of six small sets dedicated to them.

Plus, I'd love to see a six-set small wave of villains. First we had humanoids as the Protectors, then animals as the Creatures. Maybe the small villain wave could be something like Shadow Spawn minions or some other small swarm baddies that fill the space in between? Make them kind-of-humanoid with more deviant design. Like mutants or something.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• Bronze and/or copper armor. I want to see more metallic colors that don't get used a lot. 

Not to say you're wrong for wanting this, but there is a reason why bronze and/or copper armor doesn't appear in Bionicle sets: because LEGO no longer makes parts in bronze or copper plastic.

I'm assuming that by "bronze" you mean the color like the original Takanuva and Lhikan sets used (officially, 147 Sand Yellow Metallic), which was discontinued between 2005 and 2006. It and other gold colors (like 127 Gold and 189 Reddish Gold) were all replaced with 297 Warm Gold, the color that is still used for golden masks in G2.

LEGO has had lots of colors that could be considered "copper", and annoyingly BrickLink considers just about all versions of copper the same, but the only copper color that's still around is 334 Copper Ink. It is sometimes sprayed or lacquered on as a coating for pieces, so it's not impossible to get "copper" Bionicle pieces, just unlikely (no Bionicle parts have ever had a sprayed or lacquered coat and only one, the Kanohi Hau/Rua from the Power Pack in 2001, has ever had a chromed/metalized coat).

Copper Ink HAS been used in G2 Bionicle once: as one of the colors printed on Skull Grinder's chest plate.

• Upvote 3

Having islanders with technic/ccbs built vehicles would be interesting and I think it would definitely make up for not having knees or elbows because doing that would make the build of the vehicle have less pieces due to knees and elbows sucking pieces off of the vehicle build.

I agree about having 6 small villians as small sets, that would be interesting too see because then they wouldn't use the same 6 colours the toa use. Perhaps this can mean small sized sets with their primary colours being transparent instead of those colours just being accent/secondary colours.

What if each small villian came with one of the protectors or an islanders' masks but in a drained/mutated form

• Upvote 1

Not to say you're wrong for wanting this, but there is a reason why bronze and/or copper armor doesn't appear in Bionicle sets: because LEGO no longer makes parts in bronze or copper plastic.

I'm assuming that by "bronze" you mean the color like the original Takanuva and Lhikan sets used (officially, 147 Sand Yellow Metallic), which was discontinued between 2005 and 2006. It and other gold colors (like 127 Gold and 189 Reddish Gold) were all replaced with 297 Warm Gold, the color that is still used for golden masks in G2.

LEGO has had lots of colors that could be considered "copper", and annoyingly BrickLink considers just about all versions of copper the same, but the only copper color that's still around is 334 Copper Ink. It is sometimes sprayed or lacquered on as a coating for pieces, so it's not impossible to get "copper" Bionicle pieces, just unlikely (no Bionicle parts have ever had a sprayed or lacquered coat and only one, the Kanohi Hau/Rua from the Power Pack in 2001, has ever had a chromed/metalized coat).

Copper Ink HAS been used in G2 Bionicle once: as one of the colors printed on Skull Grinder's chest plate.

I think he meant the third color used in the Piraka beyond Silver and Gold, though I guess that is gunmetal grey and was used in skull villain armor (not sure, only skull villain I own is skorpio and lacks said armor piece). 

However, why would said color not being used any more be an obstacle? They could resume its use/introduce a new shade of bronze or copper. Sure, they don't introduce new colors off-hand, but if they use the new color across new waves across various lines it would work. 

Earth blue is pretty rare but was used in Kopaka and Storm Beast, no?

• Upvote 1

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Bionicle has used too much gunmetal.

2006 Hewkii used too much gunmetal.

Other than that, and the mere concept of making it a primary color on a set, there is no such thing as too much gunmetal. I really like gunmetal pieces in Bionicle.

Seriously, if all of the silver and much of the silver used on the uniters and creatures were replaced with gunmetal, I'd be really happy.

Scratch that - make all the silver on Pohatu and Ketar gunmetal, and I'd be happy. I'm still bummed how Ketar's piece of unity is gunmetal but Pohatu's is silver...

I don't mind hewkii inika having a whole bunch of gunmetal because that's what his colour scheme is, but I can't stand it when lego just places a few random gunmetal pieces and then it's automatically part of their "colour schemes"

Gali's torso armour looks terrible in silver or gunmetal. I think it should've been either a shade of blue or orange. Check out what gali looks like with ekimu's torso to see if this looks better or not http://limeflavouredlibertarian24.tumblr.com/post/147236104164/i-put-ekimus-torso-armour-onto-gali-uniter-of

I hope they don't use that many neutral colours in 2017, except for technic pieces and perhaps pins and axles(I'd don't hate red axles or blue pins ones at all!)

I don't mind hewkii inika having a whole bunch of gunmetal because that's what his colour scheme is, but I can't stand it when lego just places a few random gunmetal pieces and then it's automatically part of their "colour schemes"

Gali's torso armour looks terrible in silver or gunmetal. I think it should've been either a shade of blue or orange. Check out what gali looks like with ekimu's torso to see if this looks better or not http://limeflavouredlibertarian24.tumblr.com/post/147236104164/i-put-ekimus-torso-armour-onto-gali-uniter-of

I hope they don't use that many neutral colours in 2017, except for technic pieces and perhaps pins and axles(I'd don't hate red axles or blue pins ones at all!)

It might be just me, since I dislike the overuse of Trans colors, but if you ask me, that Gali is worse than the official set.

Plus gunmetal isn't any worse that silver, right?

That being said, I hope 2017 cuts back on the trans colors and gold/silver/gunmetal. All I want is for the sets to get back more of their proper colors. More solid brown/green/red/blue/black/white. I guess purple on Onua is fine, but the rest should really get back their color identities. I just wish the "primary" colors of the characters wouldn't have the fewest piece counts in the sets.

I mean, 2015 Pohatu, whose primary color is supposed to be burned orange, had 66 pieces. Only 6 of those are burned orange. As much as I love that set (best Master by far), that ratio is just wrong.

I actually meant bronze and copper, but flat gold would be awesome as well. I just really want LEGO to start using those colors again. 

96DIFYm.png

I think he meant the third color used in the Piraka beyond Silver and Gold, though I guess that is gunmetal grey and was used in skull villain armor (not sure, only skull villain I own is skorpio and lacks said armor piece). 

However, why would said color not being used any more be an obstacle? They could resume its use/introduce a new shade of bronze or copper. Sure, they don't introduce new colors off-hand, but if they use the new color across new waves across various lines it would work. 

Using a rareish color like Earth Blue again is an entirely different beast than bringing back a discontinued color, especially since Earth Blue is actually fairly common outside of constraction and has been for years.

LEGO generally keeps their color palette VERY tightly controlled these days. You can see their 2016 color palette here. Anything on that chart is fair game for future Bionicle sets, even if it's rarely or never been in constraction sets before. You're right that the possibility of LEGO introducing a new copper or bronze color can't be ruled out, but it's not a decision that would be made lightly, and the discontinuation of previous copper/bronze colors is definitely an obstacle.

The only problem with using ekimu's torso armour on gali is that the gold printing on it is definitely out of place. When you mean copper parts, do you mean like knights kingdom had with some of their sets in 2006?

Also it would be nice to see pieces that are blended in brown and transparent black, silver and transparent black, black and silver, gunmetal and some dark reds or blues or greens. But I don't think it's good when lego just shoves an overload of neutral colours on a set that just seems random like gali master of water whose silver and gunmetal pieces basically silenced out any vibrancy.

What about earth blue pieces, but blended in metallic colours? That would be cool.

Do any of you think it's a good idea for the 2017 sets to have transparent pink pieces?

The only problem with using ekimu's torso armour on gali is that the gold printing on it is definitely out of place. When you mean copper parts, do you mean like knights kingdom had with some of their sets in 2006?

Also it would be nice to see pieces that are blended in brown and transparent black, silver and transparent black, black and silver, gunmetal and some dark reds or blues or greens. But I don't think it's good when lego just shoves an overload of neutral colours on a set that just seems random like gali master of water whose silver and gunmetal pieces basically silenced out any vibrancy.

What about earth blue pieces, but blended in metallic colours? That would be cool.

Do any of you think it's a good idea for the 2017 sets to have transparent pink pieces?

The only problem with Ekimu's torso is that it's trans. All of it. Eugh.

I'm not a fan of blended pieces. I don't quite know what you mean with neutral colors. I clearly said in my post that I want them to decrease the use of gold/silver and other metallic colors. I'd prefer blended pieces to be kept at a minimum, as that way they retain being special. Same with trans colors. Back in the day, trans colors were highly sought after and rare, but now they're all over the place. I'd prefer if they got back some of their "exclusivity" by being less common.

I'm just hoping for more solid, non-blended, non-trans pieces in the primary colors of the characters. And as much as I love Uniter Pohatu, his primary color is brown (or burned orange, I guess. I'll settle with that) not tan. More brown/burned orange, please.

Using a rareish color like Earth Blue again is an entirely different beast than bringing back a discontinued color, especially since Earth Blue is actually fairly common outside of constraction and has been for years.

LEGO generally keeps their color palette VERY tightly controlled these days. You can see their 2016 color palette here. Anything on that chart is fair game for future Bionicle sets, even if it's rarely or never been in constraction sets before. You're right that the possibility of LEGO introducing a new copper or bronze color can't be ruled out, but it's not a decision that would be made lightly, and the discontinuation of previous copper/bronze colors is definitely an obstacle.

I'm unfamiliar with the technicalities of it, but what prevents them from "rebooting" a previously used but discontinued color? I mean, they did away with flat gold or whatever its official name is (2003 Takanuva, Lhikan, Iruini) in 2005, but is there anything really preventing them from bringing it back? I understand that they control their color palette strictly, but hypothetically, if they decide on bringing it back, is anything stopping them? Question also applies to discontinued shades of bronze, copper, and really any discontinued color.

Also, I'm hoping they introduce some new colors next year, and that Bionicle gets to flagship some of said new colors. Faint hope, one can dream, right?

• Upvote 1

I've got a post that's about bringing back teal pieces and it's got nearly 1000 notes. http://limeflavouredlibertarian24.tumblr.com/post/136340121364

Also, I hope they make some new bone pieces because it'd like to see the piston aesthetic used on bone pieces without having to place shells/armour on them

• 2 weeks later...

Lego recently announced a contest to "Build a Makuta" and it looks like we have a few hints about the line's future from it:

1. The MoUP is a physical piece. It wasn't quite the color of an actual production piece, so it is possible that it is in the prototype stage.

2. One of the Makuta models used a shield with a MoUP decal that hasn't appeared yet in an actual set.

3. Lego is giving contest winners a copy of a book called "The Art of Bionicle." I doubt Lego only made two copies of a book for a contest, and I hope they are making more for future wide release.

4. The multiple versions of Makuta suggest he is a shapeshifter, meaning current depictions of him in JtO or the contest might not reflect a possible final set form.

Whether the line is selling well is still to debate, but it looks like Lego has some plans for 2017 after all. I just hope the line sees wide release in 2017, and not a limited TRU exclusive or worse, a Europe exclusive launch.

EDIT: Shakar on Eurobricks listed these new pieces he spotted in the video:

"New pieces:

-MoUP

-printed loincloth

-dish with MoUP sigil and Nuva symbols

-Onua 2015 chest with MoUP sigil (prototype/placeholder I suppose)

-trans orange skull."

This is getting interesting!

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

That contest video was really heavy on hype-worthy stuff. We get our first truly-clear view of JtO Makuta, we've now seen a detailed video about his set form (current set form, at least). We've seen the set MoUP, some new pieces (Gold vorox armor, anyone? Also trans orange skull as Travis pointed out above).

Seriously, this is doing more to hype up 2017 than 2016, since we already know everything about this year's sets.

I wonder, will the winning entry form the basis of the final Makuta product, as in the commercial set? 

Too bad I have exactly 0 black, red or non-mask gold CCBS pieces. A technic/G1 entry wouldn't win for not fitting in with the line, I guess...

I am über hyped for the new episodes, and 2017!

• Upvote 1

I wonder, will the winning entry form the basis of the final Makuta product, as in the commercial set?

Doubtful. If they were going to make a set based on the winning entry, they'd have to mention that in the terms, and if that were one of the prizes for winning they'd probably mention it in this video as well. Also, sets tend to take one and a half to two years to get from concept to store shelves, and I figure that if LEGO intends to have a Makuta set on shelves at all, it would be sooner than 2018.

Some of the recolors in this video are interesting but I wouldn't read too much into them, since not only is LEGO able to paint parts, they can also mold small test runs of parts that never wind up in sets (like the various prototype Bionicle parts BZPower was gifted back in 2010 or so). This wouldn't be the first time parts have been seen in designer MOCs that have yet to be seen in sets. For example, John Ho (who appears in this video) also built this MOC which appeared on the LEGO Bionicle Facebook page back in 2014 as inspiration in the "Battle for the Gold Mask" competition. It includes Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange 7M lower limb beams and 6M upper limb beams on its legs, and Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange 5M upper limb beams on its arms. None of those parts have appeared in sets in that color.

Of course, that doesn't mean that recolors like that won't appear in sets in the future — just that appearing in set designers' MOCs isn't necessarily a hint that they will.

• Upvote 2

Of course, that doesn't mean that recolors like that won't appear in sets in the future — just that appearing in set designers' MOCs isn't necessarily a hint that they will.

Well, yes, but one can dream, right?

gold vorox armor, man

Either way, this is still hype-worthy.

• Upvote 1

But did y'all ever once consider that they are holding this "Makuta" contest because they aren't going to make an actual set out of him? Just food for thought. Sure he's got those new pieces but that doesn't mean that they have a set together ready for him, hence the contest and placeholder makuta in Journey to one. Just a thought, though.

Dude, you just love to completely lack optimism, don't you?

Makuta is a very integral character to G2, who is alluded to time and time again, is making a physical appearance in JtO, and whose masks have real, moulded pieces in production. Do you really think he wouldn't get a set at some point?

There's playing the devil's advocate, and then there's you. Have some optimism please.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 4