Discussion: The Future of Bionicle G2

GSR

But did y'all ever once consider that they are holding this "Makuta" contest because they aren't going to make an actual set out of him? Just food for thought. Sure he's got those new pieces but that doesn't mean that they have a set together ready for him, hence the contest and placeholder makuta in Journey to one. Just a thought, though.

Yeah, just like they held Rahi, Dark Hunter, Toa, Makuta, and Glatorian contests. They only did those 'cause they never made sets of those guys, right?

• Upvote 2

Inclined to agree that there's probably a Makuta set incoming. It strikes me as ever-so-slightly odd to show off multiple, large concept models, if only because the final production one probably won't be as flashy, but hey, you know they made 30 versions of the '03 Makuta.

Regardless, if the whole premise is that "Makuta takes many forms", nothing keeps them from doing an "ultimate" form in 2017 Wave 2 or w/e (see: Umarak 2.0).

I see conclusions neither here nor there.

Edited by Iruini Nuva

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

That contest video was really heavy on hype-worthy stuff. We get our first truly-clear view of JtO Makuta, we've now seen a detailed video about his set form (current set form, at least). We've seen the set MoUP, some new pieces (Gold vorox armor, anyone? Also trans orange skull as Travis pointed out above).

Seriously, this is doing more to hype up 2017 than 2016, since we already know everything about this year's sets.

I wonder, will the winning entry form the basis of the final Makuta product, as in the commercial set? 

Too bad I have exactly 0 black, red or non-mask gold CCBS pieces. A technic/G1 entry wouldn't win for not fitting in with the line, I guess...

I am über hyped for the new episodes, and 2017!

:kakama:

The last thing ccbs needs is more black pieces because it feels like a way to be cheap on recolours. What ccbs and bionicle needs is to use certain colours for sets and not use anything else in those sets' colour schemes.

Here's some examples of what I'm talkin' about

-Hahli Mahri (nearly every piece that wasn't a weapon or a technic piece was dark blue and lime)

-Gelu(nearly entirely white and dark blue through out every noticable part of his body and that includes his feet, hands and limbs)

-Kongu Mahri(nearly entirely dark green and gray)

-Vastus(nearly entirely dark green and lime)

-Toa Metru(nearly all 1 specific colour and gray)

What ccbs and bionicle needs is to use certain colours for sets and not use anything else in those sets' colour schemes.

If you want to build stuff it's way better to get 5 sets of black and gray skeleton pieces than one set of black, one set of orange, one set of light blue, one set of trans-lime, and one set of light gray.

Also, the number of recolors LEGO can sustain at any one time is limited, so if you want all the neutral bone pieces colored on a set-by-set basis then you'd probably have to get rid of at least half of the other recolors.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Yeah I know everyone will definitely be looking on the bright side when or if Bionicle gets retired. Are you just mad because I could potentially be right about it? After all if he were even getting a set, then you'd think they would show him in Journey to One. But with all these heavy hints at an early retirement, don't rule that out as a possibility. I want a makuta set just as much as you, but it's looking very doubtful. Just saying.

Yeah I know everyone will definitely be looking on the bright side when or if Bionicle gets retired. Are you just mad because I could potentially be right about it? After all if he were even getting a set, then you'd think they would show him in Journey to One. But with all these heavy hints at an early retirement, don't rule that out as a possibility. I want a makuta set just as much as you, but it's looking very doubtful. Just saying.

You're the only one who's ever gotten mad in these topics.

And they did show him in Journey to One. Do you even pay attention to the media at all, or do you just skim news articles?

• Upvote 1

What ccbs and bionicle needs is to use certain colours for sets and not use anything else in those sets' colour schemes.

If you want to build stuff it's way better to get 5 sets of black and gray skeleton pieces than one set of black, one set of orange, one set of light blue, one set of trans-lime, and one set of light gray.

Also, the number of recolors LEGO can sustain at any one time is limited, so if you want all the neutral bone pieces colored on a set-by-set basis then you'd probably have to get rid of at least half of the other recolors.

Economies of scale wins the day again. Torn on this one. I loved the colors schemes of sets like Hahli Mahri (or, say, the '01 Toa), but yeah, with the much higher piece-counts we're getting today, totally makes sense to leverage color as an accent. That's more of a CCBS mentality anyway (for better or worse).

Also helps scale-up MoCs from smaller collections. Now I can own all 6 Toa and leverage the neutrals from all 6 (plus colors from 1-2), instead having a situation where I can use parts from, say, Tahu and Onua, but Gali is 90% useless (to that MoC) because it's all blue.

Form vs. function, in that sense.

-----------------

That contest video was really heavy on hype-worthy stuff. We get our first truly-clear view of JtO Makuta, we've now seen a detailed video about his set form (current set form, at least). We've seen the set MoUP, some new pieces (Gold vorox armor, anyone? Also trans orange skull as Travis pointed out above).

Seriously, this is doing more to hype up 2017 than 2016, since we already know everything about this year's sets.

I wonder, will the winning entry form the basis of the final Makuta product, as in the commercial set? 

Too bad I have exactly 0 black, red or non-mask gold CCBS pieces. A technic/G1 entry wouldn't win for not fitting in with the line, I guess...

I am über hyped for the new episodes, and 2017!

The last thing ccbs needs is more black pieces because it feels like a way to be cheap on recolours. What ccbs and bionicle needs is to use certain colours for sets and not use anything else in those sets' colour schemes.

Here's some examples of what I'm talkin' about

-Hahli Mahri (nearly every piece that wasn't a weapon or a technic piece was dark blue and lime)

-Gelu(nearly entirely white and dark blue through out every noticable part of his body and that includes his feet, hands and limbs)

-Kongu Mahri(nearly entirely dark green and gray)

-Vastus(nearly entirely dark green and lime)

-Toa Metru(nearly all 1 specific colour and gray)

While I agree, I don't see how this is related to my comment. I said that *I* personally don't own enough black CCBS piece to create a character whose primary color is black. Makuta's color scheme, based on the media, is black and red with some gold.

I do like the color schemes of pretty much each example you bring except Mahri Kongu. Too much boring grey.

all these heavy hints at an early retirement

You mean the *one* unconfirmed hint of some people saying that the line isn't selling too well in some parts of the US? Yeah, overwhelming evidence you've got there...

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

EDIT: I just realized what I posted made no sense. So uh. nevermind that  :P

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Can someone please search online and find out how many recolours each year of bionicle had?

I'd rather have 1 set with tons of trans lime, one set with trans light blue, one set with trans orange and so on because then each set has a specific colour scheme instead of just shoving a few of a colour in there and preaching that it's part of a set's colour scheme(gali needs more orange, maybe her torso armour should've been orange)

Can someone please search online and find out how many recolours each year of bionicle had?

I'd rather have 1 set with tons of trans lime, one set with trans light blue, one set with trans orange and so on because then each set has a specific colour scheme instead of just shoving a few of a colour in there and preaching that it's part of a set's colour scheme(gali needs more orange, maybe her torso armour should've been orange)

But that would make their color schemes extremely one-dimensional and boring. There is a reason why toy manufacturers with decades of experience don't make sets with 2 colors. You're saying there should be a base color for bones, and just one other color for everything else. I think that would result in some pretty horrible sets. I mean, even the Toa Mata had 2 colors beyond the black connectors, the Nuva added silver and so on. You know who had one color? The Toa Metru. They looked cool, but suffered for their one-dimensional color scheme (which was diversified for the movie for a reason).

Complex color schemes help the sets. Accent colors (orange in Gali 2016) don't need to be prevalent, since they're just accents. That's the point. If you look at any costume design or character design from any fantasy or sci-fi fictional universe out there, you'll see they usually have complex color schemes.

Edited by Pohaturon

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I love 1 dimensional colour schemes, they look more consistent and don't look cheap and lazy like how they used silver feet and hands on tahu 2015 even though his colour scheme is red, gold and transparent orange.

The Toa Mata, Bohrok and Toa Nuva's colour schemes weren't that consistent because they had black hands, shoulders and upper parts of their legs and I think that was very lazy and cheap of lego to do that to sets that started off bionicle, good thing they made colour schemes in g1 more consistent over time.

I hate accent colours! I prefer it when a set has certain colours used in it and that's it with exceptions for technic pins and axles and small technic pieces(I like blue pins and red axles)

(I like blue pins and red axles)

Oh those are fighting words there. :P

I wish that LEGO would return to black axles.

How do you feel about tan? ;)

-----------------

I like tan pieces as long as they're used consistently and not just where a set has 1 or 2 tan pieces and that's it because that looks lazy to me

Gali should have had an orange torso as a recolour instead of black axles

The black axles on Gali weren't a new recolor in the first place, though. Black 2M axles have literally not gone a single year without being used even after the red ones were introduced. Just because red axles were used in some sets (including a large percentage of Bionicle sets) does not mean black axles ever really went away, or that it cost any money to start using them in Bionicle sets again.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

A few Bionicle sets this year have black axles again though.
Really!

This makes me happy.

I don't mind the red and blue unless either two of these conditions appear.

1. I don't see them so I don't care what there colour is.

2. They blend in with the colour sceem.

How do you feel about tan? ;)
I like tan.

It's one of those colors that blends in with other colors without being a eye sore.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Though, I do want bionicle to overcome it's flaws and rise back above as our beloved constraction theme. Honestly though, the story is just not that interesting.

Quality is subjective. Basically everyone else in this community DOES love G2.

The story should be widely available for everyone to learn about,

It is.

but I'm constantly told that because I don't read the books, I'm not getting the full story.

You're not.

I more or less agreed with most of your points, except for these three.

1: I wouldn't say "basically everyone" on here likes G2. Sets-wise, maybe. But I think the point was story, here, and from what I've seen it's pretty much a 50/50 split between people who like the current story and people who don't.

2 and 3: You say the story is easily accessible, but then say that you need to read the books. See, this is one reason I wish they brought back the comics. In G1, you never had to buy any of the books to get the full story. (The only think like that was MoL.) The comics gave all of the base story, the books just added to it. Sure, the animations do that to some degree, but that's just giving the skeletal version of the story. From what the rest of your post said, it sounded like you really need to read the books to understand the reasoning for most anything that happens in the story right now.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Though, I do want bionicle to overcome it's flaws and rise back above as our beloved constraction theme. Honestly though, the story is just not that interesting.

Quality is subjective. Basically everyone else in this community DOES love G2.

The story should be widely available for everyone to learn about,

It is.

but I'm constantly told that because I don't read the books, I'm not getting the full story.

You're not.

I more or less agreed with most of your points, except for these three.

1: I wouldn't say "basically everyone" on here likes G2. Sets-wise, maybe. But I think the point was story, here, and from what I've seen it's pretty much a 50/50 split between people who like the current story and people who don't.

2 and 3: You say the story is easily accessible, but then say that you need to read the books. See, this is one reason I wish they brought back the comics. In G1, you never had to buy any of the books to get the full story. (The only think like that was MoL.) The comics gave all of the base story, the books just added to it. Sure, the animations do that to some degree, but that's just giving the skeletal version of the story. From what the rest of your post said, it sounded like you really need to read the books to understand the reasoning for most anything that happens in the story right now.

1. Fair enough, "basically everyone" wasn't the best term. But overall I have seen a positive reaction to G2 as a whole.

2./3.Well, as Tuuli said somewhere up there or in another thread, you don't really need to read or watch anything to know the story. You could just look at the sets and know Tahu and co are the good guys and Umarak is the villain. He has frequently gone into specific details (why are there no animals?) which you do need the books to know about.

So, it seems you took my post to mean story = basic concept, but in that context I was really using it as story = every detail. :)

(And plus, either way, the books are cheap and easy to get online)

Edited by Terrorsaur

Does anyone know how Technic (vehicles, Mind Storm, etc.) does these days? I can assume they do significantly worse than what Bionicle might be doing, and they don't cancel that line.  

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Does anyone know how Technic (vehicles, Mind Storm, etc.) does these days? I can assume they do significantly worse than what Bionicle might be doing, and they don't cancel that line.  

Technic still puts out massive models every year, which isn't something they'd be doing for a dying line. The theme is definitely more for older fans, but there isn't a shortage of collectors and builders out there.

Mindstorms EV3 made the top five list of bestselling LEGO sets last year, IIRC. It's less of a big deal to Lego fans, but as it turns out, its a pretty great starting point for studying robotics, and I think it sees a lot of use that way.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Technic's status has been… interesting. Its biggest market is in Europe (specifically Germany), which is part of why all of its licensed vehicles like 8110, 42030, 42043, 42053, and 42056 have been European brands rather than American ones.

In 2012 and 2013, Technic was a Toys 'R' Us exclusive line in North America, just like Bionicle is now. It was still available in LEGO Brand stores, because at that point all store exclusives were. It seems like that might be changing now, and if so it's a new change for this year, but it would make sense in the context of previous disagreements between LEGO Brand Retail and other stores that carry LEGO.

In 2014, other stores like Target resumed carrying Technic sets, aside from specific ones that remained Toys 'R' Us exclusives. So I guess the lesson there for Bionicle fans is that a theme becoming a Toys R Us exclusive due to flagging sales is not something it can never walk back from.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Among adult fans Technic is doing tremendously well. I don't have many of the sets, but Lego is making some gorgeous collectors models in Technic, this year having produced a spectacular Porsche and a Mine Bucket Drill/Loader. If the Disney World Castle wasn't also coming out as a set I'd make an effort to get the Porsche and Mine Bucket Loader. Since larger products last 3-4 years on the shelves I might make an effort to get them next year, those two Technic models are astounding!

But yes the audience for Technic is a lot "older" than say Bionicle, Ninjago, or Nexo Knights. So it is hard to judge the future of Bionicle solely on Technic.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Having just watched the ending of The Journey to One, I've gotta say the future of BIONICLE is looking... grim. Does anyone else who has finished the series feel the same way?

Indeed

it's the kind of ending you give to a series finale, and while it added more things to the lore, it didn't leave any unresolved threads

There are ways to continue the story, sure, but we'll have to wait and see. Personally I hope it goes on for at least another year.

The official announcement is out, it's over. To not waste time repeating my thoughts, here is what I already said about it on Eurobricks:

"I was surprised and shocked to see the announcement on Facebook only a few minutes ago. Yet with all the fan speculation that had happened recently I gotta admit I had a hunch it might have been coming.

G2 did in many ways reignite a childhood interest of mine. Although the story was imperfect, the new set designs gave me some great building experiences. Just seeing the six Toa Mata in new forms and back on toy shelves for a brief time was a blast.

The fact Lego took their time to announce this official to the fan community is high form. Many Lego themes don't get the honor of an officially announced discontinuation. Even if Bionicle's fanbase was small, it is nice to know Lego did recognize it.

With Bionicle gone, I will be returning focus back on Lego Trains, Creator Exclusive sets, Marvel Superheroes, and Star Wars. I hope that as my financial situation becomes more stable I might have the opportunity to continue MOCcing my vision of where Bionicle G2 should have gone had it continued.

It will take some time to fully compose my thoughts on the matter, but I hope to post again later"

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Bionicle is ending again? Are you kidding me Lego?

G2 wasn't perfect, but it started off pretty strong in my opinion. I thought it did a great job combining Technic and classic functions with CCBS, and I thought the story was headed for some interesting directions.

I knew it probably wouldn't last as long as G1, but I feel that Lego barely even gave it a chance. I really hope Lego has another idea for a premier CCBS line to replace Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

The linked page in the facebook post said something about the Netflix series putting an end to all speculation about it's future, I haven't watched it, anyone mind filling me in on that?

This: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/newsboard

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Now to wait for the inevitable surge of "Bring Back Bionicle" nonsense. Can't wait to have 3 pages worth of threads dedicated to it!

#bringitback

#matorodidntdieforthis

More like #BringBackBionicleOrIWillThrowAwayAllMySetsAndNeverBuyAnyLegoAgainHowDareYouBetrayUsLegoYouWereTheChosenOneILovedYou

• Upvote 4

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Now to wait for the inevitable surge of "Bring Back Bionicle" nonsense. Can't wait to have 3 pages worth of threads dedicated to it!

#bringitback

#matorodidntdieforthis

More like #BringBackBionicleOrIWillThrowAwayAllMySetsAndNeverBuyAnyLegoAgainHowDareYouBetrayUsLegoYouWereTheChosenOneILovedYou

#toaignikadidntdie(?)forthis

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

#bringitback

#matorodidntdieforthis

#BiomechanicalLivesMatter

#OccupyBillund

• Upvote 2

I don't really mind. People say this "Bring Back Bionicle" nonsense because they are passionate about the franchise and are disappointed about it ending. It's a normal response, and I can tolerate it. If anything, it'll get the boards more active. They've been off and on for a while.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg