Khubek, the Skull Lord [LDD prototype]

Well, when I found out that I had managed to win a Villain Pack, I immediately went slightly insane and started designing a villain to go with it.

skull_lord_concept.png
Gearbox/spine configuration
Weapon detail

Of course, there were several parts I wanted that aren't available in LDD, so I ended up using HF heads and shell add-ons in place of G2 heads and Skull armor, just to show what the color arrangement will be like when I order the parts and build him for real--and I'm still not sure if Lego makes a chestplate that won't clash with the gold/gunmetal/white color scheme. The final version will probably have a custom cape, as well.

Any feedback at this stage is greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 3

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

HF heads 

Uh, Glatorian heads, excuse you.

joking joking

In all seriousness though, that thing looks pretty sweet. I could really go as an official set, and one that I'd buy. Granted, the staff weapon is very similar to the one Skull Grinder sports, but that isn't an issue. 

The color scheme is pretty cool, but you could make it a bit more exciting with colored bones or something. It would need to be subtle to keep the overall look, but I think it would benefit from it.

Overall, great work!

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Cool!

Interesting choice of color scheme-- it evokes a certain Toa of Light, which makes me think he's some kind of fallen hero. I like the dangling Glatorian (see, Pohaturon? :P) heads attached to the chains-- reminds me of Irnakk's gimmick with the Piraka heads way back in '06. I see you made his forearms asymmetrical-- perhaps in keeping with the look of other Skull baddies-- but I think he might look better using two of the bony arms. Overall, he's a little on the generic side, but looks like he would wear the golden Skull Mask quite well. He would fit right in with the other members of the Skull Gang, too. Good work.

Also, are those little spiky stud missiles actually MOCable? I can't tell exactly how they fit together, but it's a really cool idea.

And last but not least,  congrats on winning the raffle. :)

Edited by Disciple
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, guys!

@Pohaturon: Honestly, I was a bit concerned about the weapon, too...but I knew I wanted to use those axes, and I really liked the way they ended up arranged around the launcher.

I'll admit I was reluctant to use a lot of trans-colors on him, but now that you point it out I can see how a little trans-light blue might do him some good. Would probably make it easier to find a matching chestplate, too.

@Disciple: I see what you mean about the arms, but I've gotten rather attached to the idea of having the weapon arm bulkier than the offhand arm. Do you think making one of the upper legs bony too would work?

And those missiles are just the ordinary 1x1 round studs, with two of the studs with pinholes stacked on top, and the unicorn horn through the middle. Fairly simple, but it gives them a bit more personality.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

but now that you point it out I can see how a little trans-light blue might do him some good. Would probably make it easier to find a matching chestplate, too.

Here's an idea - make him a corrupted/turned evil/undead/skeleton version of the 2016 summer wave Ekimu. Backstory-wise, I mean. That would explain the gold, the trans light blue and the Skull-Grinder weapon. Maybe he overthrew Grinder and took his weapon as a trophy, but modified it? This all fits the whole gold skull mask, maybe it was what corrupted him.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

If Takanuva were in G2, died in battle, and was resurrected to fight on Kulta's side... he'd probably look something like this.

but now that you point it out I can see how a little trans-light blue might do him some good. Would probably make it easier to find a matching chestplate, too.

Here's an idea - make him a corrupted/turned evil/undead/skeleton version of the 2016 summer wave Ekimu. Backstory-wise, I mean. That would explain the gold, the trans light blue and the Skull-Grinder weapon. Maybe he overthrew Grinder and took his weapon as a trophy, but modified it? This all fits the whole gold skull mask, maybe it was what corrupted him.

Just a thought.

Ooooh, I like that idea too.

Either way, this is a cool MOC! Can't wait to see the real thing. :)

Also, congrats on your win in the raffle. :)

Edited by FrozenPancake_

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: