Root of Vengeance

Sybre

Root of Vengeance

(Header coming soon.)

Chapter 0 - Out of Snax

(These comics are all about a year old, but relevant to the plot.

Chapters 1 and beyond are the stuff you wanna see.)

Part 1: The Darkest of Motives

Part 2: Energized Light Show

Part 3: Alleged Humiliation

Part 4: The Inner Light

Part 5: Utilize the Power Within

Part 6: Blast Resistance

Part 7: The Hand

Part 8: Broken

Chapter 1 - Revenge: Best Served Green

003 (NEW!)

I remember I've been lazy in the past, but I really would like to finish this series eventually. It might be a slow process, though. This will probably run for a couple of years for all we know! All I ask is that you're patient, as I won't forget this series even if I am busy. This is just a spare time project, you know?

Credits

Xanis for the sprites

Dark709 for the Chimoru and inspiring me again

Whoever did the Tri-Shade Chimoru

Whoever made all the energy blasts used in Chapter 0 (non-BZPower individual)

Edited by The Root
  • Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

I always liked your comics. While I lament the cancellation of your previous series, I'll be coming back for more, as per usual. :)

You must like my comics way more than I do! :P "Self-loathing" aside, it sucks that I had to can Sybregatory, but it was for the best. I don't think I could have run it for long. Fun fact: I was originally going to use Sybregatory's characters in the intro of Root of Vengeance, but decided I didn't like the idea. The last signs of Sybregatory left are the time placement, the dead Sybres, and the threat causing them all to die. Anyway, good to know you're coming back! Thanks!

Someone's been watching a lot of Dragon Ball Z lately.  :P

Got some good comics here. Not often people use the Xanis kit around here, so it's nice to see it making a comeback. Can't wait for the next comic!

I actually haven't seen Dragon Ball Z in a while, but you must have read Chapter 0, which was indeed inspired by DBZ. Since Chapters 1 and beyond will have some anime references, expect to see more inspired parts!

Thanks! I'm glad you like them! I always had a soft spot for the Xanis kit because it was one of the most expressive and posable kits on the whole site, and now it's weird to see that it's become a rarity. Figured it couldn't hurt to finally use it in published work. Nice to know you're also coming back! Thanks for reading!

"SAVIOR"

"Varova"

"Onero"

"Raowa"

I see where this is going LOL

Yeah, pretty much. I was gonna put them on BZPower long before Sybregatory, but never came up with something I liked. Now I've come up with something I like: justice. I'm looking forward to introducing all the members, and not just to justice.

Awesome! A new series by one of my favorite comic makers!

The comic made me laugh, the rudeness of some species, am I right?

I had no idea you liked my work so much. Thanks! It's great that you're back, too!

I was proud of the humor in the comic and I'm pretty relieved that you liked it. The Sybress is pretty rude, but she kinda reminds me of the Sybre in my previous works. You'll be seeing some more Sybre-grade rudeness later on, so brace yourself!

mindeth the cobwebs

• 3 weeks later...

Remember today as the day I've finished and completed my first GIMP comic. In comic #002, all of the backgrounds were done in GIMP and made by me with some help from tutorials. I apologize for the delay, as I had to learn to use GIMP and using GIMP is time-consuming. Thank you for your patience.

Also, I apologize that the comic is short and that I might not be using GIMP to its full potential. As I go on and keep using GIMP, the comics should be longer and of higher quality. Please bear with me and my learning process and I promise to not give up on GIMP and the quality it brings.

mindeth the cobwebs

I see ya mastered the posing. That's probably the most important bit. One important thing is to not use Paint and GIMP in conjunction, that makes things slow and awkward. You might wanna make the text a bit bigger than 1 pixel too. Keep practicing, then you can do motion blur to show speed, fire, explosions, and lights that all glow, edit in blood effects (and even custom sprite torn body parts), and even things like heat waves.

As for the comic itself, the first bit of dialogue sounded really DBZ. Plot hasn't moved too much yet so I can't really comment there, looks like something's about to happen though.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I see ya mastered the posing. That's probably the most important bit. One important thing is to not use Paint and GIMP in conjunction, that makes things slow and awkward. You might wanna make the text a bit bigger than 1 pixel too. Keep practicing, then you can do motion blur to show speed, fire, explosions, and lights that all glow, edit in blood effects (and even custom sprite torn body parts), and even things like heat waves.

As for the comic itself, the first bit of dialogue sounded really DBZ. Plot hasn't moved too much yet so I can't really comment there, looks like something's about to happen though.

Posing does take a bit, but I'd like to say I have it handled. I also have to figure out angled posing, but that won't be too hard. I don't use Paint and GIMP together, but Varova and the main character's sprites and the panel borders were all made in Paint. That's really as far as I went if using Paint and GIMP in tandem. I think I'll just pick a new font altogether. Just as long as it ain't Comic Sans! I will learn all of those things later on, but here's a fun fact: I tried using a motion blur during the production of the comic, but couldn't figure out how to work it, so I improvised.

I can only imagine someone of Frieza's race saying the line word-for-word (without the studio bit), but yeah, if Varova spouts something you'd hear in an anime, it's probably intentional. Expect a lot more anime-like stuff further down the road! Again, I apologize for the slow plot and that will get fixed very soon. Indeed, something is getting ready to happen. And it's gonna be cool.

mindeth the cobwebs

• 1 month later...

Oh my god, I freakin' love the retro vibes this series is giving off, especially in chapter 0. The way the fight scene was visually laid out is a really strong callback to the more seriously-styled comics of 2009. 

Very nice job, I'm looking forward to reading more! 

bZpOwEr

Oh my god, I freakin' love the retro vibes this series is giving off, especially in chapter 0. The way the fight scene was visually laid out is a really strong callback to the more seriously-styled comics of 2009. 

Very nice job, I'm looking forward to reading more! 

I always felt like all of my comics before Root of Vengeance were really vintage-style because I was one of few comic makers who wouldn't "evolve" with everyone else. I stayed on MSPaint and made comics that seemed like they came from Dark709's prime. Now that I think about it, chapter 0 really was a bit of a callback to 2009's comic fight scenes. Before the big leap to GIMP, that's sorta what the fight scenes looked like because if you didn't have GIMP, you worked with what you had, making the scenes seem stiff and basic. However, some of the special effects I used weren't possible around ten years ago. I didn't intend for chapter 0's fight scene to be any sort of callback, but when you put it that way, I like that aspect.

Thank you! There will be more fight scenes later on, so there is a lot to look forward to!

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

• 3 months later...

I like the story a lot so far, and your effects are getting better each comic.

Thanks! I really think you'll like the story more as it goes on and I'm glad you're liking the effects. It's interesting to learn how to do new stuff in GIMP and time great to see my comics improve visually.

Also, thank you for showing up to read the comic after that little hiatus and I hope you'll stick around for more!

mindeth the cobwebs