Out-of-Place Colors in Sets

Illuminatus

Ever thought some sets came with pieces that stuck out in a bad way? And I mean more than just the red pin fad of 2007?

I've always hated the recycled Hakann feet in Antroz, because they completely broke his otherwise fantastic and very Makutaesque color scheme with their conspicuous shade of gunmetal gray.

Another instance that bothered me was Stars Tahu's hilt? Is that what it even was? The silver Nuva shoulder pad on the opposite side of his sword? It could've been orange. It totally should've been orange or not there at all.

Any similar cases you guys can think of?

• Upvote 2

That red connector thing on Mahri Matoro connecting the Mata foot to the Inika back'n'shoulders. That was a bummer.

I really thing the use of black pelvis on Toa Lhikan was odd. I kind of see what they were trying to do with that, but I don't think it works. 

I personally think using Mata red on Roporak as his secondary color next to Metru brown was a misstep. It's not necessarily bad, I just think tan, grey or black would have worked better.

That's all that comes to mind, honestly.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The entirety of Time Cruisers.

Two minor things that bothered me in sets were Tarix's silver shoulder spikes, as the rest of his armor was gold and they just don't fit very well, and Vamprah's use of both silver-to-dark-blue and silver-to-gunmetal wing pieces, because I'm bothered by the fact that the set has two non-matching pairs rather than four of the same color (plus both colors were only used on Vamprah, and no set besides Icarax contained more than two of the same color wing piece).

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm not a fan of Hahli Mahri's lime green and blue color scheme. They just clash too much, especially for a toa of water. Lego could have re-used her 2006 colors, or just use other shades of blue or even translucent limb pieces, but they had to go with lime green.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

i will agree with an above point that vamprah's wings were oddly color-distributed,

as well as throw in the fact that i hate Onua mistika, since it is color relevant, he's like, 99% pitch black?? with... red accents?? those weren't "out of place" i guess so much as jsut an awful design choice but...

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The 2008 Nuva (Mistika and Phantoka except Kopaka) too much grey or silver on them. These particular colors are too neutral to used as a main color for heroes that relied originally on bright colors.

Tahu Mistika for example, his red is assigned limb connector pieces, which means the red color is suppressed compared to the silver.If his lower legs had been red and has armor like (nuparu mahri) attached in front of the shins it might have given him more proper color as a toa of fire.

Onua could have used mata green or translucent lime green jet fins and leg boosters hes started with trans dark green eyes in his first 2 toys

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

Okoto Pohatu because why the trans-lime-green.

from what i gather that is the official color-scheme of the "stone" element in gen2, the neon yellowgreen is analogous to the light tan color used in gen1, and also represents the "stone energy" whenever it appears. I'd call it an odd choice too if not both for how well it contrasts his main color and silver accent, and also cuz it's used by at least three other stone themed characters.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Sulfur.

I guess? Granted, the trans-yellow used on the 2015 promo images would have been better (when I first opened master Pohatu, I never saw photos of the actual set and thought I got a set with all trans pieces misprinted.), but trans-lime-green works overall I think. Trans-brown isn't a thing in Lego, after all.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Sulfur.

I guess? Granted, the trans-yellow used on the 2015 promo images would have been better (when I first opened master Pohatu, I never saw photos of the actual set and thought I got a set with all trans pieces misprinted.), but trans-lime-green works overall I think. Trans-brown isn't a thing in Lego, after all.

Technically it is a thing, it just looks like trans-black. :P

Red and blue pins, also the bright yellow shoulders and that black mask

the red cordak missiles in all of the toa mahari

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

I actually quite like the tiny colorful bits like blue pins and red cross axles. Not only do they make building easier, but I also like the little splashes of color they add to sets, sort of like the little red spikes on Takadox, the dark red spikes on Umarak, the yellow spikes on Uxar, or the Dark Azur patterns on Tahu. Certainly, the sets don't NEED them, from a visual standpoint, but when used tastefully they spice things up and keep the sets from feeling too plain. Also, for characters like the ones in Hero Factory or Bionicle, I think little bits that contrast with the rest of the build help add to the mechanical feel.

Usually I also don't care much how many neutral colors like silver, grey, and black a set has, as long as they're organized tastefully. In fact, when building a model, I often quite like alternating colors for different parts of the body, because it helps the different parts stand out from each other so you can clearly see where the lower leg meets the upper leg or where the upper leg meets the torso. Again, that variety and contrast just makes things more interesting to me than monochrome armor on a monochrome skeleton, as long as it doesn't feel completely random or arbitrary.

One example of a color on a recent set that DOES sort of bug me is the Bright Orange crystal blades on this year's Tahu and Ikir. The other Toa's crystal blades don't bother me, since they're generally a close match for the transparent colors used on their crystal shells, but neither Tahu nor Ikir uses that shade of orange anywhere else in their build. They do use a lot of Tr. Fluorescent Reddish Orange, but it looks very different. In my opinion, Bright Red is a closer match to that color than Bright Orange is, which is part of why I loved the Skull Creatures using Bright Red patterns on their chest plates — it matched their accent colors. So with the knowledge in mind that the crystal blades couldn't really achieve true transparency in that soft plastic they use, I'd have preferred Tahu and Ikir's blades to be red instead of orange.

I am not all that bothered by this year's Pohatu's colors, but I'm not a huge fan of how they're organized. In my opinion, he would have looked better with Silver Metallic shells on his forearms instead of Tr. Flu. Green, and Dark Orange shells on his thighs instead of Sand Yellow. As it is, his Sand Yellow parts overwhelm what little Dark Orange he has, and his forearms are blindingly bright. These changes would make his color blocking more consistent (Dark Orange upper arms and legs, Silver Metallic lower arms and legs, and a Sand Yellow torso), plus make it look like he's wearing gauntlets that match his greaves.

On a more bizarre note, I have no idea why Ketar has a Sand Yellow Vorox shell on its tail. What purpose does it serve? Ketar doesn't use that color anywhere else on his build, and it's not used on any other sets. I'd have preferred if that shell were Silver Metallic, same as on Pohatu's shoulders, and if the budget freed up could be used instead on a recolor that actually adds more to one of the sets.

There are other quirks that strike me about certain sets — like Onua and Terak in this year's sets having Transparent on their crystal shells instead of Tr. Bright Bluish Violet, or Gali in both this year's sets and last year's using bones in the same Tr. Light Blue as Kopaka instead of the regular Transparent Blue that otherwise tends to stand in for water sets. But even though these things are a little quirky I don't find them out-of-place, because Transparent is a neutral color that goes alright with just about anything, both versions of Gali look just fine with Transparent Light Blue (the layering of two transparent colors on this year's Gali actually makes for quite an interesting effect), and Gali and Kopaka's color schemes are different enough on the whole that they don't feel redundant when standing side-by-side.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I originally came here to talk about Vorox's blue pins, but I believe Aanchir brought up a good point with the whole "splashes of color" thing.

That being said, anything silver on Tarix felt really out of place and Berix's feet didn't sit well with me. In my opinion, his feet don't make much sense when arranged with the rest of the colors that way. Looks like he's wearing shoes or something. After seeing feet that fit in with color schemes for years, Berix's feet weren't a refreshing change. Nice to get the Mata feet in that color, though!

mindeth the cobwebs