UCS Star Wars Sets

Reya

I think the abundance of new slopes and other smooth pieces make them look much more streamlined and cool (especially apparent when comparing the TIE fighter iterations), but I'm still very partial to the two older ones I own, the AT-ST and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer.

• 2 weeks later...

In general they're about the same. The main difference, if any, is that minifigure-scale or pseudo-minifigure-scale models are more common, and that the rules of what is considered a UCS set have been made more consistent. Not to mention the general increases in quality, best evidenced in the two separate X-Wing Starfighters that have been released—the original was much blockier and relied on STAMPs (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces) for some of its details.

Recent sets like the Assault on Hoth have gotten a lot of criticism for not being "true" UCS sets, but that's only because of a fairly recent decision to brand all D2C Star Wars models as UCS on the package. Past D2C "playsets" like the Ewok Village were not branded as such despite similarly taking up one of two yearly Star Wars D2C slots, but for that matter some "true" UCS sets like 10129 Rebel Snowspeeder were not identified as UCS either. This poster from Toys R Us, released to celebrate ten years of the Lego Star Wars theme, classifies all past D2C Star Wars sets as "UCS" including sets like 10123 Cloud City, 10131 TIE Fighter Collection, 10144 Sandcrawler, and 10195 Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother