LEGO Designers Announce LEGO Bionicle Makuta Contest for Rebrick

The LEGO Group has released a new video on LEGO.com announcing an upcoming LEGO Bionicle Makuta Contest on Rebrick. LEGO Bionicle designer John Ho, LEGO City designer Corvin Stichert, and LEGO Mindstorms designer Niek van Slagmaat introduce different versions of Makuta they've built, including the one that will appear in The Journey to One, before inviting fans to build their own rendition of the evil Makuta. The grand prize is a box containing every 2015 and 2016 Bionicle set, plus a signed, limited-edition Bionicle art book! A copy of the art book will also be awarded to a randomly selected entrant, so anyone can win! The entry period ends September 5th, and the winners will be announced on September 26th. Full details will be released at Rebrick.com when the entry period begins. Check out the video to learn more!

View the full article

• Upvote 6

Link is broken

Thanks for pointing that out! I had to trim the article down to fit it within the character limit for front-page news stories, and must have accidentally cut out part of the URL that it needed for the link to work correctly. I should have thought to test the link before publishing the story. Here's the correct link. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I wonder if any of those models shown will become the official set, or if they will provide building instructions online. I still assume that there is an official set coming because of the new mask and new cloth pieces and printed shield piece shown off on the left model.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I wonder if any of those models shown will become the official set, or if they will provide building instructions online. I still assume that there is an official set coming because of the new mask and new cloth pieces and printed shield piece shown off on the left model.

The cloth pieces and printed shield probably wouldn't be too hard for LEGO designers to make custom even without them ever going into production — it's not uncommon for them to do that kind of thing during the prototyping phase, or even just for MOCs they make in their spare time.

I still think there's a strong chance of getting a Makuta set in the future, but the way the designers showed the Makuta models in this video off actually makes me think that it's not going to be one of these versions. If any of them were a set, I imagine that either they wouldn't be revealing them this early, or they'd be dropping hints and building hype that one of these Makutas would be a future set, instead of describing them like MOCs or personal projects. But of course, I could be wrong.

OOOhhhh my goodness.

If the official Makuta set is even close to any one of these then I will be so happy.

And that Mask is just pure perfection.

I will admit, it's a little strange that they chose to show off the mask and these models of Makuta before the actual set is revealed. I sure hope it hold up.

At 19 years old, I'm having trouble justifying entering the contest even if I were to give the prize away (I already have all of them).  What do you guys think?  Am I to old to enter?

I already have built him for my own personal pleasure but haven't taken any pictures.

By the way, that model of Makuta on the far left in the video, is awesome; I want it so bad.

Edited by Rakrondewl

At 19 years old, I'm having trouble justifying entering the contest even if I were to give the prize away (I already have all of them).  What do you guys think?  Am I to old to enter?

I already have built him for my own personal pleasure but haven't taken any pictures.

By the way, that model of Makuta on the far left in the video, is awesome; I want it so bad.

Having talked with ReBrick, I would say no; TFOLs are their main jam, but there's also a huge range there, and we're likely to see a large AFOL entry base as well. Not to mention that BIONICLE has that part of the population from its original run, many of whom have grown up and become talented MoCers (like the designers in the video!).

Having talked with ReBrick, I would say no; TFOLs are their main jam, but there's also a huge range there, and we're likely to see a large AFOL entry base as well. Not to mention that BIONICLE has that part of the population from its original run, many of whom have grown up and become talented MoCers (like the designers in the video!).

Okay then, thanks; I may enter to try to win for my brother.

If it helps, I'm the same age as you and the only thing that prevents me from entering is the fact that I lack a large CCBS parts library. I have no black or red pieces, and the only gold I have are masks.  :(

Provided I have the pieces, I'd enter in a heartbeat.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

If it helps, I'm the same age as you and the only thing that prevents me from entering is the fact that I lack a large CCBS parts library. I have no black or red pieces, and the only gold I have are masks.  :(

Provided I have the pieces, I'd enter in a heartbeat.

:kakama:

Okay, you and Dorek have convinced me, thanks it helped.

If you don't have black it doesn't mean you can't make a Makuta, everyone who can will be doing that but making a Makuta with a different color scheme would be fresh and stand out.  I think you should still try, hope to see you make one.

I just watched the video again and to me it looks as though the Makuta on the far left has a trans red/orange head, as apposed to the ones to it's right that have the silver one.  Can someone confirm?

Edited by Rakrondewl

Welcome back Makuta. Nice to see you again.

That artbook would be a dream to have in hand. Will it be available to the general public, sans signature?

The way they talk about it here makes me think no—at least, not this specific edition. It's possible that they could create a new edition for mass publication, though, or release the contents digitally, or even just create a few additional copies for things like charity auctions at Lego conventions. Though I do hope that whoever wins these copies will share their contents with the community at large in case these are the only ones that'll ever be made available.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I wonder if that art book will be sold on its own? I would buy that in an instant. "The Art of Bionicle" is something I've been wanting since the beginning of its run. And the main prize with every set - I wonder if it comes in that special packaging? It's really nice. Guess I better get mocing!

Anyway, the meat of this video is really on Makuta himself. Those designs are brilliant. The "brawler" Makuta looks amazing, but not really what I expect him to look like. The middle Makuta model (used for Journey to One) looks extremely well-built, and I hope that becomes the basis for his official set. Speaking of which, will Makuta even get an official set? I hope so but this whole contest kind of gives me pause. And if so, there are so many questions. Is the JtO model the actual model that will be sold? Is that the official design for the Mask of Ultimate Power? (which I would be okay with, cause it looks really cool).

The purple and black Makuta with the mask staff is fantastic, and so is the one sitting on the throne. All of these designs are ridiculously epic. I even like the Protector Makuta they have on display and the "Shadow Tohunga" G2 throwback they have chilling in the background. They way they talk about Makuta makes it sound like he can shapeshift into all these different forms, akin to the Makuta of G1.

Well, get building! I'll enjoy seeing all the Makuta's that come out of this!

-NotS

• Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

Glad that the link is fixed. I'm not going to enter the contest but I am going to build a titan G2 Makuta moc. I have a decent amount of Gold Purple and Black parts to use.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

That emblem on the one Makuta's staff-shield looks oddly familiar...

(Probably just a coincidence.)

It's nice to finally see the Mask of Ultimate Power, though it does look a bit different than expected--might take just a little getting used to.  Kind of prefer the black version in the clip shown actually, hoping they release an altered version in the same vein as this year's trans-blue Mask of Creation at some point.

That is a beautiful prize...if only I could MoC! D:

Edited by Ursus Wielder Pahrak

So how and where do we actually enter?

When the entry period opens (which I imagine will be sometime in the coming week), you will be able to find the contest page linked from the Rebrick contests page. Then you will be able to read the full terms of the contest and submit entries.

I'm slowly going mad trying to figure out how the JtO model's staff is constructed. Well done designers. Well done.

I think I got the function figured out:

jtostaff1.jpgjtostaff2.jpg

There are two sets of gears through the green and trans-orange pieces, but the angle here doesn't quite capture that.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm slowly going mad trying to figure out how the JtO model's staff is constructed. Well done designers. Well done.

I think I got the function figured out:

jtostaff1.jpgjtostaff2.jpg

There are two sets of gears through the green and trans-orange pieces, but the angle here doesn't quite capture that.

My sanity thanks you sir. Now, to build the rest of the model.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

I was practically screaming and had to pause the vid every few seconds, I was nerding out that much.  This contest is something I will enter.  Yes.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I received word from LEGO that the video was posted prematurely, which is why it has since been removed. The contest will launch very soon and they will have a big announcement at that time. They apologize for any confusion it's caused.

Do you think they pulled it down because of the spoilers for the show and/or because it reveals the flagship set of the theme?

Has anyone made a list of new/rare parts/colors used on "Overlord" Makuta model?  Just noticed the trans. purple Borok eyes at the bottom of his staff, these pieces (in this color) were only ever released in one set: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=3808-1#T=S&O={}

Beast jaw is used for bottom of leg armor.

Edited by Rakrondewl

I received word from LEGO that the video was posted prematurely, which is why it has since been removed. The contest will launch very soon and they will have a big announcement at that time. They apologize for any confusion it's caused.

Do you think they pulled it down because of the spoilers for the show and/or because it reveals the flagship set of the theme?

They pulled it down because someone made a mistake and launched it earlier than planned. Companies have teams dedicated to marketing and planning things like these, and there are key dates that must be followed.

I'm glad I took screenshots of JtO-kuta.

Back to bashing my head against a metaphorical wall attempting to build him.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

They pulled it down because someone made a mistake and launched it earlier than planned. Companies have teams dedicated to marketing and planning things like these, and there are key dates that must be followed.

I understand now why you could only give such a general answer, I am sure it was very difficult knowing Bionicle's future and being able to share it with us.  I apologize for asking, I didn't know you actually knew, I was only looking for another optimistic fan hoping for a set.