Three New LEGO Elves Webisodes Released on YouTube

The LEGO Group has released three brand-new LEGO Elves webisodes on their official YouTube channel. "

" features a duet between Emily Jones and Ragana Shadowflame that contrasts the ways they each see the world of Elvendale. In "
", Naida Riverheart and Sira Copperbranch explore the Crystal Mines and discover a cautionary tale about stealing nature's treasures. And in "
", Ragana gets tired of not being loved and accepted by the other elves of Elvendale and attempts to rebrand. Follow the links above or read on to watch the new webisodes!

View the full article

These episodes are awesome. They certainly made for a nice surprise when I got up this morning.

In particular, I wasn't expecting a new song, let alone one as epic as this. This is the first time Ashleigh Ball has sung a full-length song in-character as Emily, and it certainly doesn't disappoint.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Elves continues to be fun with Ragana around. What a wonderful, wonderful narcissist.  ^_^ Crystal Clear was a great piece of comic timing, too. Sira's VA really sells the whole thing.

Point of View is embarrassingly trite and lacks any nuance ("good person is GOOD and bad person is BAD"), but I'm really happy to see Lego trying out a big musical number like that - not the sort of thing we usually get from them. The lyrics are pretty good for something of this caliber too (ignoring, again, the subject matter). I think it also really shows, more than ever, how Elves is modelling itself a fair amount on the success of the current My Little Pony incarnation, which has a lot of spontaneous song as part of the show's flavor.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Elves continues to be fun with Ragana around. What a wonderful, wonderful narcissist.  ^_^ Crystal Clear was a great piece of comic timing, too. Sira's VA really sells the whole thing.

Point of View is embarrassingly trite and lacks any nuance ("good person is GOOD and bad person is BAD"), but I'm really happy to see Lego trying out a big musical number like that - not the sort of thing we usually get from them. The lyrics are pretty good for something of this caliber too (ignoring, again, the subject matter). I think it also really shows, more than ever, how Elves is modelling itself a fair amount on the success of the current My Little Pony incarnation, which has a lot of spontaneous song as part of the show's flavor.

I think you're underselling the song lyrics a little. Yes, it is a fairly standard "I am" song in general (not that there's anything wrong with that!), but the chorus hints at a previously unexplored aspect of Emily's growing rivalry with Ragana: the idea that, more than just wanting to defeat one another, each of them would much rather manage to convince the other of their respective worldview. Emily seems to want to give Ragana a chance at redemption, while Ragana would equally love to corrupt Emily's pure spirit. This idea is reinforced at the end of the webisode—when it looks like things are going to come to blows between Ragana and the elves, Emily tries to calm both sides and get a chance to show Ragana how she sees things, and in turn, instead of taking advantage of the elves' restraint to launch an attack, Ragana merely mocks Emily's attempt at peacemaking out of spite. The webisode as a whole reframes the conflict as a war of ideas, which I'd argue is an awfully nuanced take on things.

I mean, do keep in mind we're on a forum about Bionicle, which may not have had any similar songs but had an even less nuanced sense of morality. While evil characters regularly tried to corrupt heroes or crush their spirits, Greg's insistence that redemption stories were unrealistic meant that the idea of a good character actually trying to reconcile with them was rarely even entertained.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I mean, do keep in mind we're on a forum about Bionicle, which may not have had any similar songs but had an even less nuanced sense of morality. While evil characters regularly tried to corrupt heroes or crush their spirits, Greg's insistence that redemption stories were unrealistic meant that the idea of a good character actually trying to reconcile with them was rarely even entertained.

Oh, definitely - I never would have intended to imply Bionicle was more effective throughout its history. When I criticize Elves I'm holding it to a higher standard because, in many ways, I do feel that it has surpassed Bionicle in its narrative capability - even if that doesn't mean I don't have quibbles with it.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

First thought from Point of View: Superhero landing! (I hear it's really hard on your knees, but they all do it.)

I still love Ragana Shadowflame, even though her name sounds more made-up than Wyldstyle. The song had some cringe-worthy moments (namely the "I love rainbows"/"I love scarecrows") but I appreciate them taking the effort to make something so ambitious, and it had more good moments than bad. The other two were actually very funny and enjoyable, especially the last one. (Although I was anticipating a moment where Ragana says "I'm nice, aren't I?" and the green pool just pauses and goes "Um... yes," kind of the same way Emmet said, "Yep, that's me.")

(Awkward moment when LEGO Elves isn't great but is still better than BIONICLE 2015.)

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!