Lego: JtO is the End of G2

Iruini Nuva

It's to be expected.

Most of the G1 generation of fans have 'grown up', the of CCBS threw away others, and the marketing for G2 was, well, terrible.

I cannot believe that the third year of G2 never arrived but that surely must be down to poor sales...

Whilst I for one am upset about this, we must move forward as a community, and look forward to the future whilst embracing the past. Hopefully LEGO can pull their finger out and do something new, original, exciting and better marketed when G3 inevitibly happens.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I WANT TO CRY!

I mean, we've all heard the rumors, sure, but... I thought the plan was to go on to at least 2017, regardless of sales. I-I mean, were the sales THAT bad, or is this due to something else? I mean, they even designed and MOLDED the MoUP just to what? Show it off in a Makuta Building Contest? I honestly find that hard to believe, even if they decide to give it away in some raffle/contest/charity event/something else. I doubt they would go to all that effort (of molding it) without the original plan for it being released en masse in retail stores.

And...all of the loose plot threads...I just want to cry so bad right now. :crying:

Sad times, truly.

• Upvote 3

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Welp, it's been fun. Time to disappear from all Lego forums again until something interests me enough to come back in a few years.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

...Well, then.  The writing was on the wall, but I didn't think sales were quite so terrible to axe after 2016.

I have to imagine the continued success of Ninjago, Nexo Knights, LEGO Movie, etc. is pushing the company strategy towards integrating storytelling with "traditional" Lego, which defeats part of the purpose of Bionicle.

I'm about to head out the door for work, so I guess I'll have to write up more complex thoughts later, but... yikes.

• Upvote 2

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I mean, they even designed and MOLDED the MoUP just to what? 

The Moup we saw in the contest video was a 3D printed prototype, not an actual production piece. They probably don't have a mold for mass production.

But it really does suck that we won't be getting it, really liked the design.

Hail Denmark

I feel no sadness or despair. I just feel emptiness and would like some answers as to why it's cancelled.

I guess the bright side in this is that I only have to worry about 2 years worth of sets when finishing my G2 collection.

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I think the most disappointing thing about all of this is that we expected the line to last for at least three years. Sure, there were rumors going around but I don't think anyone really expected the line to end this soon. 

Back when G1 ended, we at least knew that it would ahead of time. This time around we got the announcement on the very day it actuall happened.

It's a shame that we won't get to see it end the way it was originally planned, with all the plot points they hinted at in the novels and animations.

What I'm most afraid of is the fate of the CCBS though. Lego will keep producing it, I'm sure, I just really, really hope that we won't end up getting only Star Wars or CCBS spin-offs based on already existing System themes. I feel like the CCBS has so much potential that it would be a waste to not give it its own IP.

• Upvote 1

Hail Denmark

I'm satisfied with the sets i got. I have like 20 gen 2 sets so i wont get bored of them anytime soon. 

Im  mostly just worried about the community quickly dying off over the course of the next year and not seeing any more cool MOCS. How inactive was this place in 2013?

Edited by hiddenderek

I've had my qualms with Journey to One. Goodness knows I have. Coming into these new episodes, though, I kind of knew what to expect as far as production value went. I think that went a long way to making the whole thing a less disappointing experience. And even though, if I cared to dig, I'm sure I could find just as many issues with the script this time around. And the animation, and the staging, and the shot-to-shot pacing, what absolutely overwhelmed me by the end was how much they just wanted to give Bionicle a good sendoff. 

My idea of a sendoff probably would have been different. But what they did is, on an elemental level, so much more Bionicle than anything past 2005 ever was, up to and including G1's conclusion. They did the thing! The thing the Toa always did where they all shot their power at once to trap Makuta (and the Bahrag that one time). Let me tell you a secret: planet-sized robots fighting is okay, but it's not very Bionicle. This was, after a fashion. 

And they didn't hold back on the parallels to the original films, either. The Shadow Realm Makuta is trapped in is represented by a rock that looks just like the shard Roodaka claws from Makuta's rock prision in Web of Shadows. It even has a propensity for shooting out a shadowy hand to suck people in with - just like old Makuta did (he used the ability through the rock in Web of Shadows, too!). Visually, the Toa sealing Makuta back away is just like Legends of Metru Nui, too. And in both productions, the shot is closely followed by the Toa's spirits in the stars.

And then we end on "For that is the Legend of BIONICLE," which doesn't only carry on the tradition of how the original films concluded, but actually acknowledges the original in-universe meaning of "Bionicle" - the legend of the Toa who will arrive to save the island. That's something that hasn't been touched since 2001. 

It's not perfect. But goshdarn, they really gave it their all, and I really, deeply admire that. As far as ways to say goodbye to Bionicle go, its a heck of a lot better than any other option that's come up since Mask of Light. And I think I'm okay with leaving it at that.

Goodbye again, Bionicle. And thanks for everything.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 6

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

But... what?

Well this is sad...

I mean I know I've always expressed a dissatisfaction with G2 for a number of reasons but it was still Bionicle and I always loved that it was here.

I really believed it was guaranteed at least one last year, but I guess not even...

I guess it's time to get ready to plunge back into the dark ages again.

But for real, I want to thank everyone involved for what they brought. I don't think it could've been the best it was, and I wish it could've gone on for longer, at least have a conclusion but it seems Bionicle has been doomed to never live itself out to a planned ending. I want to thank them for all they have done, for bringing it back and for a time bringing me joy in seeing such an important piece of my past and childhood come back and breathe again.

When G2 was announced, I was at NYCC and saw the panel and everything. Though I was all alone, I didn't regret my visit even a little bit. I felt like I had just seen a long dead friend come back to life, and I was excited about Bionicle for the first time in forever. I dreamed of the adventures that awaited, of the world to be immersed in.

As much as I don't like the first episodes of Journey to One I'm glad they gave us what they did and I'm excited to sit down and watch the rest.

I can attest to the feeling of emptiness. I didn't feel attached enough to G2 to really feel upset, but I do feel like the hole it kept full for a good two years is open again. I tried working on a Bionicle comic with a high school friend of mine, but now that I've graduated and will be moving on to college it's unclear if even that will be able to get off the ground.

The worst part is the feeling that I'm getting too old, growing up now and Bionicle has to be something I can only look back on, like another little piece of me is dying. My chaotic LEGO collection often feels like all I have left to my childhood, because as the years have gone by I've changed schools, houses, doctors, gotten rid of toys, lost contact with friends, lost memorabilia, and now some days I question what I am anymore. I'm not what I used to be, for too much of that is gone now, but now I feel like Kirk from the latest Star Trek movie.

I feel like growing up and being pushed into this large scary world I may get lost in it all. I may not have any points to hold onto anymore that remind me of what I used to be. And I guess my job now is to discover who I am and what I'm going. After so many years of my life dreaming about what I was going to be I'm now an adult and have to face that reality and turn my dreams into action.

But I realize that Bionicle being discontinued again isn't the end of my childhood. There's always going to be that gap between me and the past, but now it is only slightly larger not seeing that familiar Bionicle logo around again. My childhood is still there, and the memories of reading the comic books, reading and re-reading Makuta's Guide to the Universe, playing with the toys. It's all still there in memory. I guess the key is just to try to not forget.

So that's what I propose for us now: let's not forget. Regardless of whether or not Bionicle ever come back again (which seems doubtful but then again it felt the same way the first time), forgetting about it and letting it just become something that happened rather than a piece of us is what will really kill and destroy it.

We as a fan base have stuck through with Bionicle for what it has done for us and the people it has helped make us. Now, we just need to keep giving back to it and making it stronger.

The ideas of life and death... they're all figurative. Bionicle hasn't died or ended today, because Bionicle lives and dies with us and how we remember it. It always happened and we always loved it, and throughout time that will always be a fact, no matter how we or the world changes and if it's still here with us.

Once, six heroes washed up on a golden beach. If only they knew what they were getting into. We now know, because we were those heroes, and Bionicle has been our adventure. For every low point in it, every moment it felt grim, even towards the end, the adventure was spectacular, and worth every second of it.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 3

Really, G2 was basically Hero Factory with slightly better sets and Bionicle characters. In some ways, I'm kind of glad it's gone.

Oh really the Bionicle mask of light had better animations than Jurney to one the G1 sets of 2001 the toa have better builds than the G2 sets and the best of all G2 had a lower budget than HF I don't know if what you said is ignorance or you just want to be the center of attention in a bad day. Edited by Tahu3.0
  • Upvote 1

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Well, there goes all the respect I had for Lego as a company. 2010 may have been rushed and on a shoestring budget, but at least they showed some consideration for the fandom that saved them from bankruptcy. This time, it was like having a door slammed in our faces. Just as the story was starting to show some promise, we go from "Bionicle probably won't last beyond 2017" to "GONE! Sorry," within hours. Thank God the Bionicle team actually cared enough to give us what resolution they could, because it's clear the rest of the company couldn't care less.

The worst part is that now I need to figure out how to break the news to my little siblings. My youngest brother, in particular, who was still too young when G1 ended, has loved the reboot, and was really looking forward to getting ahold of the Mask of Ultimate Power. I can barely stand to think about how disappointed he's going to be.

I used to really think the world of Lego. Guess those days are over.

• Upvote 3

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

(clipped)

Once, six heroes washed up on a golden beach. If only they knew what they were getting into. We now know, because we were those heroes, and Bionicle has been our adventure. For every low point in it, every moment it felt grim, even towards the end, the adventure was spectacular, and worth every second of it.

Somebody give this man a medal.

And with that, I would like to say a few words of my own.

"Gathered friends, listen again, to our tale of the Bionicle" Words that my heart was warmed to hear for as long as I can remember. Even in my earliest days, I remember wandering away from my mother's shopping cart at Walmart, Target, any store we found ourselves in, I was always gravitated towards the Lego aisle, at which I'd admire the new Bionicle sets, I never wanted to leave empty handed, but I'd never had the heart to ask for them, rather, I'd just sit in the aisle, staring at my favourite of them, I never had the money to buy them for myself, but every once in a while, we'd visit California, and we'd go to Legoland, and I'd demand a Bionicle set, because I never asked for anything else, I always had something to do in the car. And every time we went to a store, I'd stare eagerly at the Bionicle sets, until one day, there simply weren't any, I think I was irritated by the fact, because never before had I been unable to find a Bionicle set, and this time, there was only Hero Factory, I feared for the worst, but held on to the hope that they were just sold out. That day, when I got home, I looked at the Lego website. I was so mad at Lego, that I steered clear of the aisle entirely, until Ninjago came out the next year and we made up, so to speak. I think I got a Hero Factory set once, but it wasn't the same, and it couldn't even move its elbows, I remembered thinking it must've been a really bad knockoff.

A few years passed, and I still wasn't quite over it, when I was at Target with my grandma, a couple of weeks before Christmas, and I found a Bionicle set on the shelf, it didn't look the same as the old ones had, it looked new. After searching, to no avail, for a Tahu at the Target, I settled for Pohatu and begged my Grandma to buy him for me, insisting that I'd find some way to pay her back. As I had when Bionicle first disappeared, I went to Lego.com, to see if somehow, beyond all hopes, the theme that had been there for most of my youth was back, and it was. I was so excited, I then saved any money I could find anywhere, and bought nearly all of the Bionicle sets, determined to get the Winter wave, at the least, by the end of the year. I failed to do so, but came extremely close, lacking only Tahu, Kopaka, and Narmoto at the end. I was so excited to see that Bionicle was getting a show, even though it wasn't going to be on television. I checked every day for new webisodes on the Lego site, and to see if Journey to One had finally been put on Netflix, I was so excited to see what else Lego had in store for this old theme. And then it ended, and all I could do was shed a tear, and all I could think were the lyrics to a song which had once been in an Inika comercial.

When all you've gotta keep is strong, move along, move along, like I know you do.

And even when your hope is gone, move along, move along, just to make it through.

• Upvote 1

Well, that's...

Huh.

I can't say I saw that coming. I honestly thought that BIONICLE was going to continue on for at least one more year. Perhaps it was just naïvety that made me ignore some signs that something was amiss, or that the line could be struggling, but I thought it was going to continue trucking along.

That being said, I really enjoyed what we got out of the line. None of it was perfect, particularly in the story aspects, but in my personal opinion, I found that the sets were about as close to perfect as constracfion sets have ever been. The balance between the sturdiness and simplicity of CCBS and the intricacy and variety of Technic helped create sets that were aesthetically pleasing and succinct whilst being packed with functions.

I just hope people don't blame the BIONICLE team and LEGO for the cancellation of the line. From the complex set design, to the beautiful concept art, to the multiple concepts, to the fact that it's probably been planning "The Journey to One" since the beginning of the line, it's clear to me that everyone involved was really passionate about the line. It probably wasn't an easy decision to end up cancelling the line, but they had to for a variety of outside and inside reasons. Let's just hope that whatever happens to constraction next will be successful.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Well, there goes all the respect I had for Lego as a company. 2010 may have been rushed and on a shoestring budget, but at least they showed some consideration for the fandom that saved them from bankruptcy. This time, it was like having a door slammed in our faces. Just as the story was starting to show some promise, we go from "Bionicle probably won't last beyond 2017" to "GONE! Sorry," within hours. Thank God the Bionicle team actually cared enough to give us what resolution they could, because it's clear the rest of the company couldn't care less.

The worst part is that now I need to figure out how to break the news to my little siblings. My youngest brother, in particular, who was still too young when G1 ended, has loved the reboot, and was really looking forward to getting ahold of the Mask of Ultimate Power. I can barely stand to think about how disappointed he's going to be.

Wait... your younger siblings like Bionicle? Huh. Just hearing that is weird. I thought kids had no interest in constraction these days, not unless it's their favorite Star Wars characters or something like that.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Wait... your younger siblings like Bionicle? Huh. Just hearing that is weird. I thought kids had no interest in constraction these days, not unless it's their favorite Star Wars characters or something like that.

There's hope, in that sense. My wife was really starting to enjoy G2 as well (still working on introducing her to G1). Might've just needed a few more years of gap than it had? Styles are ultimately circular, after all.

• Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

It's a little funny, really--most of my siblings love Bionicle, but there's several of them who can't stand Star Wars. I'm getting a bit sick of seeing it everywhere myself.

It always seems to be the best stories that are cut down prematurely, because why bother with something that hasn't been milked dry when you can just have another franchise zombie?

• Upvote 5

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Honestly...

When I first heard that Bionicle was being pulled from store shelves, I knew that something was up. I really have no words to describe this move by lego. I don't really feel betrayed, but I just can't help but wonder why they don't just come out and say why they pulled the plug. At least give us that information.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'm saddened to see the line end. I was really expecting us to get at least one more year of story and sets. This ending feels kind of abrupt IMO, but I guess Lego and co. had their reasons for it.

I will miss you, Gen 2 Bionicle. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

And just as I thought I was having a good day, I have been instantaneously reduced to becoming a mere tempest of negative emotions, one of which any attempt at a proper description would likely involve trying to break the BZPower word filter just by typing the opening sentence alone.

Considering how that would most definitely lead to my banishment from the site, however, I will instead simply close my eyes and shake my head in disappointment.

• Upvote 2

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

LEGO has a long track record of bringing back their lines every so often.  The length of Bionicle's initial run was an aberration due to its novelty and the fact that it helped rescue LEGO from the bring of financial ruin.

As frustrated as people might be towards this news—like I was, along with many others, when G1 was canned—let's not pretend like this is The End For All Time.  It might be, but it's likely not.

Honestly, Bionicle probably wasn't gone long enough to make an impact upon returning. Large swaths of G1 fans had had their minds made up as to the quality of G2 before it even really began in earnest, and others—myself included—really didn't get into it at all, as it hadn't been gone long enough to ignite a sense of nostalgia.

Edited by Sumiki
  • Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg