Future of Constraction

Pohaturon

Now that G2 has unfortunately and prematurely been axed, Star Wars is the only line holding the constraction torch that we know of. I don't remember the exact source, but it has been said in the toxic and pungent thread related to that piece of news that Lego is still committed to CCBS and constraction.  

But what does this mean?

Will constraction be a Star Wars only thing with significantly more sets? Will it be Star Wars only with the same amount or fewer sets due to a seemingly lessened interest in constraction? Will an existing licensed theme get CCBS sets? Will an existing original theme get CCBS sets? Do you think Lego will kick off an all-new original or licensed, constraction-only line? Could CCBS be axed as well in favor of a new constraction system?

Will Hero Factory come back? (joking...)

As I see it, the seeming lack of popularity of Bionicle will lure Lego into tacking constraction onto an existing line that is popular enough to make the sets sell simply because of the theme's logo on the box. This could be either very good or very bad, meaning that CCBS Nexo Knights would be very good and CCBS Ninjago would be very bad. Horribad. Abominable.

I'm hoping they don't cut back on constraction, since it's the only thing Lego I care about and I refuse to buy Star Wars sets on principle alone. I guess the chances of an all-new original theme dedicated to constraction are slim, but I'd love to see a hard sci-fi space opera setting for some space-themed CCBS sets. Like Mass Effect, but child-friendly.

Or, you know, Lego Mass Effect. I'd love that.

Anyway, what do you think? What will the future of CCBS, or constraction as a whole be?

:kakama: 

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Well, straight from Lego's Twitter account via a reply: "There is no theme set to 'replace' BIONICLE. As far as a new constraction theme, we'll have to wait and see."

So... in terms of a straight constraction successor to Bionicle, the 1st sentence seems like a straight 'no', but the second leaves it as an ambiguous 'no'. So...bad news all around today.

For constraction in general though, it seems like it'll continue in some form. So... good news I suppose.

EDIT: Slightly better news, again, straight from a reply on Lego's Twitter regarding constraction: Q- "Are there any plans to launch a new constracion theme in the near future?"  A- "We never know what our designers are working on. We'll just to wait and see."

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 1

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Well, straight from Lego's Twitter account via a reply: "There is no theme set to 'replace' BIONICLE. As far as a new constraction theme, we'll have to wait and see."

So... in terms of a straight constraction successor to Bionicle, the 1st sentence seems like a straight 'no', but the second leaves it as an ambiguous 'no'. So...bad news all around today.

For constraction in general though, it seems like it'll continue in some form. So... good news I suppose.

EDIT: Slightly better news, again, straight from a reply on Lego's Twitter regarding constraction: Q- "Are there any plans to launch a new constracion theme in the near future?"  A- "We never know what our designers are working on. We'll just to wait and see."

Yea i would think after cancelling Bionicle G2 so abruptly they dint plan a successor for now it seems 2017 is the year of little contraction the only thing i dont want Lego only making and selling constraction figures for other themes i want an new Ip but i really dont know what could be the new Ip as this situation happened so mysteriously and fast and seeing the fatal ending it makes it more possible that that's what is going to happen.

Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Constraction has made too much money for them in the past to drop it permanently. Maybe it'll be back soon, maybe it won't, but there's no way we've seen the last of it.

Edited by Kung Fu Burnout
  • Upvote 1

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I hope we get something else original.

I remember seeing a post on the forums a long time ago about mixing CCBS and System into a new line. CCBS monsters vs minifigs with brick-built battle towers and vehicles.

Or maybe something completely CCBS. As long as it's not a spin-off of existing themes like Nexo Knights And Ninjago.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with spun-off CCBS sets from other themes, like Ninjago and such, but considering how the Chima CCBS sets were received, maybe that is not firm enough footing to support the entirety of CCBS. 

I hope to see Star Wars continue, and get more waves not based on whatever is the newest movie to be released. It would be really neat to get a Boba Fett or Darth Maul buildable figure down the line.

I'd also want to see another attempt at Super Heroes using the lessons they learned from the Star Wars line.

I'd like to see whatever mainline CCBS theme stray a bit farther from what we are used to. Bionicle gave us robot-like figures, while HF gave us just robots. Since they keep on trying to make human-like figures in the licensed CCBS lines anyway, pieces that have an organic aesthetic would be nice.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

If nothing else, constraction will return with the eventual 3rd generation Bionicle is somewhat likely to see. Lego may want to give the system a break so that, if they decide to go forth with another Bionicle reboot, it'll seem more new and fresh.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

People people............if you buy a stormer 2014 set and remove the HF minifigure and put let's say Kai from Ninjago what do we get.....Exo Force G2 and that's what maybe in a slight chance will happen.

But those sets well.......

To put it bluntly, stink.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

People people............if you buy a stormer 2014 set and remove the HF minifigure and put let's say Kai from Ninjago what do we get.....Exo Force G2 and that's what maybe in a slight chance will happen.

Ok i will admit they do but..................they can improve like what they did with the Toa 2016 sets plus dont you wanna se the KAI hair piece overused.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Ok i will admit they do but..................they can improve like what they did with the Toa 2016 sets plus dont you wanna se the KAI hair piece overused.
Frankly I want there to be no new CCBS themes.

I want the LEGO Designers to put effort into a G3 for Bionicle, because I think the Designers made the call to pull the line not the big guys upstairs.

I think there giving Bionicle the needed facelift it needed.

And to help us Bionicle fans in knowing what's going on we look to store shelves.

If there is nothing new then G3 maybe coming sooner rather than later.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 3 weeks later...

Carrying over a quote by the OP in a (soon to be closed) thread on the same subject:

Personally, I'm hoping we get Exo-Force 2.0 mashing System with CCBS. You know, like the last year of Hero Factory, except less of a turd. That, or some new original non-licensed space-based Sci-Fi constraction theme, either with no humans or with armored humans with helmets. Please none of that molded human heads from the Star Wars sets. They look horrible.

The first idea (CCBS Exo-Force) worries me.  I don't really think CCBS even could be used to make mechs without it looking bad.  If anyone can prove me wrong here, please do, this is one of few situations where I would enjoy being wrong.  

As for the other idea (CCBS Space theme with no human faces), I really like that one.  I've thought about this one before myself, and to me CCBS is just begging to be used in a Space police reboot theme or similar.

Edited by RAMPANT

Wyrd byð swyðost

I really need to be more active

Carrying over a quote by the OP in a (soon to be closed) thread on the same subject:

Personally, I'm hoping we get Exo-Force 2.0 mashing System with CCBS. You know, like the last year of Hero Factory, except less of a turd. That, or some new original non-licensed space-based Sci-Fi constraction theme, either with no humans or with armored humans with helmets. Please none of that molded human heads from the Star Wars sets. They look horrible.

The first idea (CCBS Exo-Force) worries me.  I don't really think CCBS even could be used to make mechs without it looking bad.  If anyone can prove me wrong here, please do, this is one of few situations where I would enjoy being wrong.  

As for the other idea (CCBS Space theme with no human faces), I really like that one.  I've thought about this one before myself, and to me CCBS is just begging to be used in a Space police reboot theme or similar.

If I had the parts and the time to do it, I'd do a MOC-series of my vision of a CCBS-system Exo-Force hybrid. I have a few ideas that would make it look good, though granted, it would be easy to mess up. There are plenty of existing shells and armor add-ons out there which would work well with mechs, plus every time we get a new CCBS line, new shells and armor parts are introduced. 

I do have a ton of ideas though. I always feel like I don't have enough time or part to build everything I want to build. 

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Well, here's one counterpoint:

12698678685_82ba7da192.jpgBattle Mecha Breeze - Mass production unit by John Ho, on Flickr

John is one of the designers who worked on Bionicle G2, and I think this is a good example of a nice-looking mech build that might work even at a low, $15 to $20 price point.

This one is not bad either, and would probably hit more of a $30 or $35 price point:

12155769766_14b706ddb4.jpgBreez XL Machine by Living Legend, on Flickr

On the whole, I don't think even the actual Invasion from Below mechs were bad-looking — they just had more of an industrial look than many of the Exo-Force mechs, a little closer to things like the Aliens Power Loader than more streamlined Gundam-esque look of many Exo Force mechs (given the other Aliens parallels that year, this was probably intentional). In my opinion, Furno Jet Machine, Evo XL Machine, and Breez Flea Machine were some of the standouts from the Invasion from Below series, but considering the advancements to constraction that have taken place since then, a future CCBS mecha theme could be even better.

Edited by Aanchir

Well, here's one counterpoint:

12698678685_82ba7da192.jpgBattle Mecha Breeze - Mass production unit by John Ho, on Flickr

John is one of the designers who worked on Bionicle G2, and I think this is a good example of a nice-looking mech build that might work even at a low, $15 to $20 price point.

This one is not bad either, and would probably hit more of a $30 or $35 price point:

12155769766_14b706ddb4.jpgBreez XL Machine by Living Legend, on Flickr

On the whole, I don't think even the actual Invasion from Below mechs were bad-looking — they just had more of an industrial look than many of the Exo-Force mechs, a little closer to things like the Aliens Power Loader than more streamlined Gundam-esque look of many Exo Force mechs (given the other Aliens parallels that year, this was probably intentional). In my opinion, Furno Jet Machine, Evo XL Machine, and Breez Flea Machine were some of the standouts from the Invasion from Below series, but considering the advancements to constraction that have taken place since then, a future CCBS mecha theme could be even better.

Because of those images, I now want Lego Battletech to be a thing. But it never will be a thing.

Curse you for adding to my grief! *shakes fist*   joking, joking

I really want an answer later on of why Bionicle G2 ended so abruptly to the point that it ended on its 2nd year and it ended so fast that Lego couldn't plan a line to take its place but even if there's a new line will it also be cancelled prematurely as I really don't think Bionicle G2 ended cause it's Bionicle it must've been because it was of the CCBS system and not the Lego brick system?

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Speaking of an Exo-Force reboot, the parts from the HF minifigures would be perfect for the villain robots.

Actually, now that I think about it, CCBS might work really good for a Pokemon license.  Since CCBS isn't all, y'know, mechanical and stuff.  You could have small sets like Pikachu, 'Toa' size ones like Swampert, Manectric, Machoke, and then have really epic titans like Tyranitar and Charizard.  Plus, more non-humanoid builds.

(I really just want a Lucario on my desk next to Hewkii)

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Honestly, there are plenty of Japanese licenses that could make great constraction themes, but those would require overcoming the barriers that have thus far limited Lego licenses to American properties and Harry Potter(or at least, HP is the only non-American property I'm aware of having a Lego license).

Just so you know, I'm blinad

I'd personally love to see more video game properties get licensed as Lego lines, particularly CCBS. The only problem is that even if the sets are kept family-friendly, I doubt they'd license M rated games, since the children who got bought the sets would obviously become interested in the source material... This is why my dream of Mass Effect CCBS and Assassin's Creed system sets will never come to pass.

CCBS would also work perfectly with Blizzard's themes, since those games always went overboard with armor and character design. Imagine being able to build your own WoW character in CCBS, or have a Diablo line since the enemies in those games would make for pretty great sets - and don't even get me started on CCBS Zerg!

Too bad Blizz already has an agreement with freaking Megablocks, of all things >.>

Then again, when you have things like Star Wars getting a Lego theme, though there is plenty of violence in it and some sexual content in the extended universe, Mass Effect is still a possibility. I want my CCBS Garrus and Legion!

CCBS would also work perfectly with Blizzard's themes, since those games always went overboard with armor and character design. Imagine being able to build your own WoW character in CCBS, or have a Diablo line since the enemies in those games would make for pretty great sets - and don't even get me started on CCBS Zerg!

Let me just say right now I would buy Overwatch in a heartbeat if they made Lego sets from it.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I think LEGO need to use CCBS in tandem with brick building. Any number of Ninjago mechs. Nexo Knights mechs, dragons or monsters could be bame with CCBS.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I think LEGO need to use CCBS in tandem with brick building. Any number of Ninjago mechs. Nexo Knights mechs, dragons or monsters could be bame with CCBS.

Several have: the Samurai Mech, Fangpyre Mech, Gorzan's Gorilla Striker, Maula's Ice Mammoth Stomper, Terabyte's mech from the Ultra Agents Mission HQ, Bladvic's Rumble Bear, Kai's Fire Mech, Cole's mech from the Thunder Raider, the Nindroid Mech Dragon, the Mechenstein from the Titan Mech Battle, Jay's ElectroMech, the Morro Dragon from Attack of the Morro Dragon, the dragon from Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty, Zane's Titanium Dragon, and the Hulkbuster armor from The Hulk Buster Smash all use CCBS bones, feet, or shells in some capacity (the list would be even longer if I included sets that used standard ball joint, ball cup, or friction extender parts).

Of course, there are limits to the usefulness of CCBS/System fusion. Bones with shells actually only make up a fraction of those used in System sets; many sets that opt for CCBS bones do so without shells to cheaply and efficiently extend limbs or necks. Many larger and more expensive sets opt for brick-built limbs that allow for more unique builds, proportions, and details, and since the introduction of Mixel joints many smaller mechs similarly opt for brick-built limbs. Still, it's not like CCBS has been kept as some sort of "walled garden"—a great many Lego mechs and monsters do in fact use CCBS parts for articulation.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, it helps that CCBS actually blends very well into the aesthetics of Lego System, while the same can't be said about the Bionicle parts. Well, Exo Force did use the Bionicle weapons and feet effectively but that was because it avoided using the most greebly ones (pieces like Toa Mata Feet, Matau's Aero Slicers, Gali's Hooks or Takanuva's Staff are relatively minimalistic for Bionicle standards, the use of the Metru feet was a mistake, though - but I probably wouldn't complain about them if they came in some unique color :P).

Edited by Onepu the Protector

Several have: the Samurai Mech, Fangpyre Mech, Gorzan's Gorilla Striker, Maula's Ice Mammoth Stomper, Terabyte's mech from the Ultra Agents Mission HQ, Bladvic's Rumble Bear, Kai's Fire Mech, Cole's mech from the Thunder Raider, the Nindroid Mech Dragon, the Mechenstein from the Titan Mech Battle, Jay's ElectroMech, the Morro Dragon from Attack of the Morro Dragon, the dragon from Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty, Zane's Titanium Dragon, and the Hulkbuster armor from The Hulk Buster Smash all use CCBS bones, feet, or shells in some capacity (the list would be even longer if I included sets that used standard ball joint, ball cup, or friction extender parts).

Of course, there are limits to the usefulness of CCBS/System fusion. Bones with shells actually only make up a fraction of those used in System sets; many sets that opt for CCBS bones do so without shells to cheaply and efficiently extend limbs or necks. Many larger and more expensive sets opt for brick-built limbs that allow for more unique builds, proportions, and details, and since the introduction of Mixel joints many smaller mechs similarly opt for brick-built limbs. Still, it's not like CCBS has been kept as some sort of "walled garden"—a great many Lego mechs and monsters do in fact use CCBS parts for articulation.

I knew about most of those sets using the CCBS parts, but I think something that used more CCBS and less brick could make for some better mecha monsters and dragons. Maybe if the madea shell that had studs on it...

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love a Slizers reboot. I dunno, the color schemes and the very unique set styles they had... it was fun.

Of course, LEGO seems to want to include a story in basically every new theme, so idk if they'd do something as story-minimalistic as Slizers,

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'd love a Slizers reboot. I dunno, the color schemes and the very unique set styles they had... it was fun.

Of course, LEGO seems to want to include a story in basically every new theme, so idk if they'd do something as story-minimalistic as Slizers,

The number of themes without ANY story is low (though Lego's most successful theme, City, would mostly qualify, with hardly any named characters in sets, as would Speed Champions and last year's Pirates theme). That said, plenty of other themes have non-essential stories. Friends has story episodes and webisodes but they are closer to slice-of-life stories with no huge overarching continuity. And Mixels has a zany cartoon story that is driven mostly by creating goofy characters and coming up with ways for them to interact.

Of course, I reckon we will probably never see another action figure theme with as minimalistic a story as Slizers/Throwbots. That's because action figures, more than many other types of toys, are largely sold on the strength of their characters, and while the Slizers/Throwbots characters had different and diverse designs, they lacked any sort of codified personalities (heck, even their names and the worldbuilding were wildly inconsistent between different regions). That's not to say Slizers COULDN'T come back, but if it were to happen it would necessitate a story that was at the very least consistent even if it lacked any overarching plot or continuity.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The number of themes without ANY story is low (though Lego's most successful theme, City, would mostly qualify, with hardly any named characters in sets, as would Speed Champions and last year's Pirates theme). That said, plenty of other themes have non-essential stories. Friends has story episodes and webisodes but they are closer to slice-of-life stories with no huge overarching continuity. And Mixels has a zany cartoon story that is driven mostly by creating goofy characters and coming up with ways for them to interact.

Of course, I reckon we will probably never see another action figure theme with as minimalistic a story as Slizers/Throwbots. That's because action figures, more than many other types of toys, are largely sold on the strength of their characters, and while the Slizers/Throwbots characters had different and diverse designs, they lacked any sort of codified personalities (heck, even their names and the worldbuilding were wildly inconsistent between different regions). That's not to say Slizers COULDN'T come back, but if it were to happen it would necessitate a story that was at the very least consistent even if it lacked any overarching plot or continuity.

That's why I said new themes. City has been around pretty much forever in one form or another, and LEGO has had many Pirates themes throughout their years, even though it hasn't been continual.

(Funny, I hadn't actually heard of Speed Champions before now. Odd.)

Anyway, yeah, I'd be fairly surprised if they brought back Slizers, I just think it would be awesome if they did.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

A lot of unpack in this response. 

1) This is Lego we are talking about.  They recycle themes and toylines all the time.  It's never a safe bet to count something gone forever. 

2) As a system, I think Lego prefers bricks to the CCBS.  Mixels might be ending, but Lego gained a lot of experience with ball and sockets with that line.  If the brick builds of mecha, robots, dragons and giants found in Ninjago, Nexo Knights and the DC and Marvel lines are anything to go by. CCBS will face tight competition with brick based systems.

3) If Lego does bring it back, I suggest keeping the sets under the $20 price point.  I didn't buy the Star Wars sets because $25 for a buildable action figure with not gear function is too much. $20 is about where I feel the pain.  In Gen 1, a $8 -$10 set was easy to absorbed.  A set like the Inika or the Mahri I could shrugged off.  A good set like the Rahkshi, I'd buy two maybe a third if it was in the clearance shelf.  But at these prices, I really felt buyer's remorse over Skull Scorpio. 

Edited by Ptah

"Honor those the dragons heed, in thought and favor, word and deed"

"Worlds are lost and worlds are saved, from those dangers dragons brave"

qs3174.jpg

3) If Lego does bring it back, I suggest keeping the sets under the $20 price point.  I don't by the Star Wars sets because $25 for a buildable action figure with not gear function is unjust. $20 is about where I feel the pain.  In Gen 1, a $8 -$10 set was easy to absorbed.  If it sucked, like the Inika or the Mahri I shrugged it off.  But I really regretted buying Skull Scorpio and being out the money made me wait before buying again.

Even though it's a bit unreasonable to say all sets should be kept under twenty, I'm inclined to agree with this notion. The only thing that stopped be from getting more sets were price points. I don't care what anybody says about inflation, price per piece, or whatever. The fact is that G2 and the Star Wars figures are expensive.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants to see a CCBS Jabba the Hutt in future Star Wars constraction waves.  Think of all the olive green shells.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants to see a CCBS Jabba the Hutt in future Star Wars constraction waves.  Think of all the olive green shells.

Wow never thought of that but is it possible to make a set worthy Jabba the Hut of CCBS i mean i know extreme mocing can do it but a set.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1