Did CCBS just Die?!

ToaTImeLord

This topic was bound to pop up adventual.

With the cancellation of Bionicle being the second failed line of CCBS do you think it has a future?

Do you think it will have another original theme or are we stuck with Star Wars?

Is the system being cancelled along with Bionicle?

These are all questions we need answers to, any ideas?

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

It does not appear that the CCBS will be discontinued, but its future is something LEGO has been thinking long and hard about.

At around six minutes into this interview from earlier this year with LEGO CEO Jorgen Vig Knudstorp (who brought the company back from the brink of bankruptcy and credits Bionicle as "the toy that saved LEGO"), the interviewer asks with the LEGO Group doing so well in the present, what could be even better in the future? Jorgen's answer is as follows:

"Well, I'm very happy with where we are at the moment, but I think that for any living brand, any living product, as always, there's some things you want to improve and change. You know, what do you want to do with the, what's the future of the Character and Creature Building System that we use for the Star Wars figures? What can we do as an extension of Nexo Knights? What's the next step after LEGO Dimensions? There are so many interesting things to continue to explore for us in the years ahead, so there's always something exciting to look into.…"

Yeah, CCBS ain't dead yet, and I doubt it ever fully will. CCBS has been used in plenty of system sets and works very well in general. Star Wars is also still working the constraction figure deal but even if it stops elements of CCBS will still be around. I doubt it'll totally disappear, but if it does go it'll only be gone in the form that we've seen it.

I don't think CCBS is dead; as has been said, the Star Wars constraction line seems to be doing well enough. However I am worried about whether original constraction lines just ended. I'd like to see more original constraction lines from Lego, in fact I wouldn't mind a HF reboot (or just continuation, considering it's not been gone too long), provided the sets were up to the standard of the Bionicle and Star Wars sets. But, I guess only time will tell...

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Helpful answer: I'm like 90% sure it didn't. It's a successful building system that's proved it can work in multiple IPs. Even if we don't get another original CCBS-based IP, I heavily doubt it's gone for good.

Edited by Kung Fu Burnout

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I don't think the CCBS style of sets is going anywhere. Lego has invested way too much time and money to just throw it away with Bionicle. There may not be a premier CCBS theme for a while, but I highly doubt that we've reached the end of primarily constraction figures in already existing themes (like Star Wars).

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I'm going to slightly go against what others are saying and say that while the pieces themselves probably won't be going anyway anytime soon, I think that CCBS as we know it will be going away, or at the very least, will be undergoing some kind of change in the future. I don't think that Jorgen just randomly decided to talk about the future of CCBS in the interview Aanchir linked. It would also help to explain that despite Generation 2 having 3 years of story/content, it only lasted 2 years. This would normally have indicated to me that the theme sold really poorly, but Lego deciding that they want to change or modify something about CCBS would also be a viable explanation for G2s early cancellation.

If the Rogue One sets are the last CCBS sets we see for a while, I would not be surprised. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to slightly go against what others are saying and say that while the pieces themselves probably won't be going anyway anytime soon, I think that CCBS as we know it will be going away, or at the very least, will be undergoing some kind of change in the future. I don't think that Jorgen just randomly decided to talk about the future of CCBS in the interview Aanchir linked. It would also help to explain that despite Generation 2 having 3 years of story/content, it only lasted 2 years. This would normally have indicated to me that the theme sold really poorly, but Lego deciding that they want to change or modify something about CCBS would also be a viable explanation for G2s early cancellation.

If the Rogue One sets are the last CCBS sets we see for a while, I would not be surprised.

This makes a lot of since.

If they have plans to completely modify CCBS then it's logical for them to take the main CCBS line off the market while they put there modifications on it.

There's still hope it will return in 2 years time.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/