Can someone explain the G2 Mask of Time to me?

Ever since the new BIONICLE was announced, I've mostly ignored it, as I thought it was an insult to G1 to reboot a story that had been worked on so hard. However, now it seems to be that some kind of canon connection was being established between the two generations, with the Mask of Time.

Here's what I've gathered:

-The Mask of Time is called "Vahi", making it the only G2 mask with a name

-It is the top part of two halves, suggesting that the G1 mask that Vakama made is the bottom half

-It is said to be older than the stars above Okoto, suggesting that the stars are artificial

So, I haven't been following the story at all, but, having stumbled upon this, I now want to know as much as I can, so can anyone explain to me what's going on and how likely it is that some sort of connection exists?

• Upvote 2
I miss BIONICLE.

Maybe the G2 Vahi was the top half of the MoUP. We will never know.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I just think of it like the Transformers multiverse and the Original Thirteen. For those who don't know, the Thirteen are the same being across all dimensions, and their creation or death in one of them doesn't necessarily create or destroy them -- they're singularities.

I think of the Vahi as the same thing: Time is present in all Universes, so in all of them the Kanohi Vahi may exist in one form or the other.

• Upvote 5

"Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

Credit to Surreality for the banner, and to bonesiii, Black Six and Binkmeister for the Proto Boosts!

Y'know, people will say that there is no connection, that it is a hard reboot. But there is definately some connection there. It may be a hard reboot, but there is a connection between the two. I am sure it has (or had) something to do with the Vahi, my best guess being that for whatever reason only one portion of the mask can be made in one dimension and vice versa. When combined they would allow the user to Time Travel, and as you could imagine if this power fell into the wrongs hands (*cough* Makuta *cough*) it would most certainly cause unmendable chaos across time and space as a whole.

Thats just my theory of it though, it was never confirmed as to the reason why and or what the two halves have to do with each other. However there are other books coming out which will hopefully help to explain this.

• Upvote 3

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Maybe the G2 Vahi was the top half of the MoUP. We will never know.

We'll never know exactly what it is, but we know it's not that. The graphic novels show that the Mask of Time existed long before Makuta made the Mask of Ultimate Power. We also know from other story sources that the Mask of Time remained intact for 1000 years after Makuta's betrayal, as the Protectors used it to summon the Toa. This means it can't be the Mask of Ultimate Power, because

the Mask of Ultimate Power shattered in the cataclysm 1000 years ago, and wasn't reformed until the events of Journey to One.

So, while we don't know the exact origins of the Mask of Time, that option at least is ruled out.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Brutaka must have taken a wrong turn while bouncing around dimensions and dropped something.

Speaking of which, is it possible for Brutaka to have gone from G1 to G2 with his mask?

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Brutaka must have taken a wrong turn while bouncing around dimensions and dropped something.

Speaking of which, is it possible for Brutaka to have gone from G1 to G2 with his mask?

Considering that G2 would take place in a separate reality from G1, thus making it an AU, the answer would have to be "yes."

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Considering that G2 would take place in a separate reality from G1, thus making it an AU, the answer would have to be "yes."

BZP LIBRAAARY... AAAAASEEEEMBLE!

• Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

BZP LIBRAAARY... AAAAASEEEEMBLE!
Bring on Brutaka!

#BrutakaG3

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 2 weeks later...

Brutaka's not the only G1 character to have made use of an Olmak's powers, though; Takanuva, Makuta Tridax, Toa Empire Tuyet, and Vezon have all done so in the past as well.

Considering that Takanuva never actually wore one, Tridax was killed by a virus, Tuyet was accidentally cut in half by a portal she herself had opened, and Brutaka had his destroyed by Teridax, that leaves Vezon (despite the fact that his was fused into his body by a wave of Energised Protodermis and its power is currently turned off, due to him being in the presence of a Great Being) as the only one left with a still semi-functioning mask. In the event that I had to choose which one of them was more likely to appear in a future Bionicle story, my money would likely be on him before anyone else.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

G2 definitely doesn't take place in an alternate universe but that's alright

G2 is a continuity reboot of G1, as they have virtually nothing to do with each other, and Lego replaced G1 with G2 as the main universe. So technically, this statement is actually correct, as G1 is now considered to be the alternate, like it or not.

Either way, however, they are still very separate. People can believe the Okotans to be the eventual hybrid evolution of the Matoran and the Agori, that the Toa Mata all died on different planets throughout their individual journeys and were revived by the Vahi eons later, and try to fill up plot holes (Examples: Why are masks the only source of elemental powers now? Who in their right mind would name one of their kids after the Makuta? Where exactly is Okoto on a map of Spherus Magna? Etc, etc, etc.) to the best of their ability as much as they like, but in the end, all of them can be classified with one very simple term; head-canon. And until Lego actually releases something that states otherwise, it should be treated as such.

I get that this topic is in S&T, but seeing as how it started out focusing more on the Storyline aspect rather than the Theoretical, it would probably be best to keep any and all head-canon out of this particular conversation, since not doing so has the potential to spread misinformation. On the other hand, if you can find an official statement somewhere detailing that G1 and G2 do, in fact, take place in the same universe, I would very much like to see it.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

You know that thing when designers, writers, and other generally creative people have interesting and potentially cool ideas that they want to do, and then some 60 year old dude in a suit who doesn't actually know anything about the industry in question blunders into the room with a few papers in his hand and says "but money, therefore no".

Yeah, well, that's pretty much the G2 Mask of Time for you. Something that could have been fleshed out into an important and interesting plot element given the time, but then Bionicle got axed, so now it is just a tongue-in-cheek easter-egg reference thing.

Yes, I'm salty god####it!

:kakama:

Edited by GSR
Fixing a filter bypass.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki: