What would you like G3 to be about?

Now hear me out guys... There's a very obvious answer here. With this announcement they've officially recognized it as Capital G Generation 2. That means there's really only one thing appropriate enough to come next. And it's called...

Beast Wars.

~|ET|~

Tahu is gorilla confirmed

:kakama:

Onua is a mole confirmed

• Upvote 3

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

NAMES. Please, names from the get-go. C'mon man!

No connection to the Toa Mata. I loved the idea when it was announced, but the fact that they would inevitably change around personalities, that love was quickly tarnished. Maybe we should go full JoJo and add in fresh, new characters to play around with. They could still be Toa, but they certainly don't have to be old Toa.

There should be a richer story that we can actually relate to this time around. Not a huge emphasis on "get the MacGuffin, defeat the bad," but rather a callback to when we were given chances to explore the world ourselves through various forms of media. Give us time and reasons to support our characters, and make it so we can see the characters grow alongside a widening world.

Like Crunchyn said, it should have a blending of cultures. The cultures of man combined with the inevitable cultures of machine, in a biomechanical world with rich atmosphere. Blending Maori culture into G1 gave it a kickstart and sparked interest in many. It gave a certain charm and mysticism that simply cannot be ignored.

The specific type of location isn't as important to me as those other points, but I would like to see a place like Mata Nui. Machine X nature is a recipe for aesthetic satisfaction to me. It just feels good, man.

Finally, better marketing. I don't know the specifics of it all, but G2 didn't feel that overbearing in the marketing department to me.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

I don't think the specific premise matters all that much, but the media surrounding it needs to be way more engaging than that of G2.

This isn't something I say just out of Genwunner nostalgia, but they need to really analyze what made 2001 successful, instead of just aping it aesthetically the way they did in 2015. Keep the storyline simple enough, but make the setting into a world that kids really want to inhabit—populate it with engaging characters and memorable locations. Kids don't want to be bogged down by 2007-style complexity, but they're not gonna care about the toys if you release them with no accompanying personality, or even a name! Invest heavily in promoting the line through regular comics, webisodes, maybe a few TV specials or games. Make sure the media is VERY easily accessible instead of behind a paywall on Netflix. 

With that out of the way, you can go nuts with the story in whatever direction you like. Maybe a soft reboot that doesn't ever clarify whether it's the same world or not—this time it could take place over a whole continent instead of an island, and you can have your six Toa living freely in the wilderness, semi-wild until a new threat emerges to the Agori/Matoran/Okotos/whatever. I'd rather they do something a bit original rather than jump straight into a less interesting version of Mata Nui.

Bingo. The magic trick was the happy (and maybe impossible to recreate?) medium between the comics/MNOLG/the mini-CDs that told a deep, but small enough story that 1) you could more or less keep track of by memory and 2) created a fantastic world with a lot of gaps you could fill yourself. Tremendous way to leverage fan-based creative freedom to build a brand.

Don't know if that works in today's media climate, but that's what sucked me in then.

Now, for G3...I wonder if they end up doing what Star Wars (twice), Transformers, etc. have all ended up doing: Wait until the original fans have kids, reboot for the modern day--whatever that looks like. G2 was awfully soon, in that sense. Old fans are only now starting to graduate and have disposable income/time to become AFOLs. I've been able to share Bionicle with my wife (with great success), but I think they can afford to wait and drop a better nostalgia bomb in another 5-10 years.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Hmm, that's a good question. Instead of trying to capitalize on nostalgia (aka, do another six heroes, one destiny mask collect-a-thon) maybe they should try something really bold, new, and fresh but still familiar? Like have a 2003-esque quest where two villager characters go out looking for the six gods (the Toa) who abandoned a lost civilization. Or something that acknowledges the old Bionicle but doesn't repeat it, you know? A distant continuation set on a world suspended in time after a war for the ancient Vahi mask ended with catacylsm. Something with mystery and intrigue like 2001, but not a copy of it. It needs some sort of complexity, great marketing, and an incentive to partake in the world. But it doesn't have to be the same six Toa characters or the same concepts like mask collecting.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Continue G2, but bring back nothing from G1. Ekimu, Umarak, and the Protectors can stay. But get rid of the G1 Toa and Makuta, despite how different the latter is. Give me something new with the story. Toa raised from childhood. Toa that fail in their mission and it doesn't get better. Something new.

And for the love of god, make it geewunner proof. Somehow.

You can't exactly get rid of Makuta.

He was after all the main bad guy.

I agree with everything else though.

New Toa maybe have Ekimu teach the child fire protector to be his mask maker heir. Have the Hawk befriend the child and turn him into the true Toa of Light.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Now hear me out guys... There's a very obvious answer here. With this announcement they've officially recognized it as Capital G Generation 2. That means there's really only one thing appropriate enough to come next. And it's called...

Beast Wars.

~|ET|~

TOA NOT MUNKY

• Upvote 4

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Beast Wars.

~|ET|~

Are you saying that after Bionicle G2, there would be a new generation called Bionicle: Beast Wars. It seems to be similar to how Transformers returned as Beast Wars after G2 ended.

If Bionicle starts that way, I would imagine things would be like Hero Factory's Savage Planet wave in 2011 (five years ago. Happy 5th anniversary, Savage Planet). The Toa Mata would be based on animals. For example, Tahu being based on a gorilla (like you said) or a fiery bird, Onua a rhino or mole, Kopaka a snow wolf, Gali a fish, Lewa a monkey or an insect, and Pohatu being a lizard or scorpion. Makuta (Teridax) would also be a dragon, a T. Rex, or some other predatory animal, like a lion or a crocodile.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Beast Wars.

~|ET|~

Are you saying that after Bionicle G2, there would be a new generation called Bionicle: Beast Wars. It seems to be similar to how Transformers returned as Beast Wars after G2 ended.

That's the joke.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

If and when they do a Gen3... I would want it to be all about the Matoran.  Sure, Toa are nice, but they're superheroes, you expect them to be awesome.  Ordinary villagers being awesome is, well, more awesome.  Something like 12 villagers, 6 Toa, and 6 villains would be nice.

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Guys, really? "Bionicle: Beast Wars"? Everybody knows that if Bionicle went down that path, it would be called "Bionicle: Rahi Wars."

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'm seeing some really cool ideas here, and I think I'll offer up my own.

Alright, here's the setting/story. What if G3 redid Metru Nui? The whole setting and characters can get a fresh, new coat of paint and the new Toa Metru could even face new threats. Even though redesigned Vahki would be the stuff of legends, there could be a whole team of Dark Hunters instead. Just think; The Shadowed One sends six Hunters instead of two (three if you count Eliminator), but this time, they could look for the six Great Disks or something. The Toa Metru end up learning about the Dark Hunter organization and have to find out where their HQ is located, who leads them, etc. That's where Lhikan could come in. The Toa could find him and he could tell them the whole back story on Nidhiki and how TSO is rarely seen or something like that.

As for the sets, G3 needs to show G2 up in terms of amount. We'll have the six Toa Metru, but maybe do something special for Matau. He could have a speeder bike like he did in the beginning of Legends of Metru Nui, but I'm not sure how well that would work out. Either way, we just need a speeder bike. Then we'll have the six Matoran: Nuhrii, Tehutti, Vhisola, Orkham, Ahkmou, and Ehrye. If possible, we could even revive the mask pack gig so you can switch out the Matoran masks to get random citizens. As for the Dark Hunters, we need Krekka and Nidhiki to be involved, and then the other four Dark Hunters could be redesigned G1 Hunters or completely new guys/gals. I guarantee that a villain wave of that caliber will make us forget G2's underwhelming amount of villains. As for special sets, Lhikan needs to be one of them, whether he's a Toa or Turaga.

The next year could have upgraded Toa Metru facing more Dark Hunters and eventually The Shadowed One, but I didn't think that far ahead.

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

Regarding the idea of new Toa--I'd kind of like to see an entirely new set of elements. It would be cool to finally have Toa of gravity, sonics, etc. in set form. The OG Toa can return in a later wave of sets when a year has a chance to not devote entire waves to bad guys.

Clearly, just like how bionicle wasn't ending simply based on my negative opinion and that it was in the same situation as oil.

It didn't end because of your opinion. I don't know why you said that.
Oh my mistake, I meant that because of my negative opinion and other facts contributed to my prior knowledge of bionicle's end, but apparently my opinion was bad and that the line was actually amazing and doing well. That's how it was.

Clearly, just like how bionicle wasn't ending simply based on my negative opinion and that it was in the same situation as oil.

It didn't end because of your opinion. I don't know why you said that.
Oh my mistake, I meant that because of my negative opinion and other facts contributed to my prior knowledge of bionicle's end, but apparently my opinion was bad and that the line was actually amazing and doing well. That's how it was.

Nobody had any evidence that Bionicle was doing well or poorly. Sets disappearing from shelves could just as easily been people swiping them all off the shelves as Lego recalling them.

G2's sets were, objectively, generally better than the majority of G1 sets. Poseable gearboxes, a joint in the waist, masks that actually worked like masks--these are tremendous strengths G2 had that G1 never did surpass.

• Upvote 7

Second of all - Bionicle G2 was a disaster.

I see you are still incapable of grasping the concept of an opinion.

:miru:

Mate, I really don't feel like starting on this again, but how many times must I reiterate that it's not your or anyone else's different opinion I have an issue with, just with their method of delivery? If you think G2 was poor, not as good as G1, go ahead, that's your opinion. I'm okay with that. You thought G2 sales were doing poorly and thought the line would end? Well, you were right. Congratulations. Based on what I saw, I had a different opinion and was wrong. I'd be the first to admit that.

However there is a reason that we bumped kanohi on the forums these past weeks, and that's the method of conveying an opinion. You were shutting down people who though something else than you, acted with hostility from the get-go and never backed up your statements except once, when you said that a Lego employee said something about not getting new Bionicles. I'm not rekindling this debate, seeing as Bionicle has ended and it's clear who was right, but that doesn't justify the means. If you would have been defending the same concept as me with the same attitude, I still would have had a problem with you. However, if you would have disagreed with me and others in what I'd think is a slightly more civil manner (something I know you are capable of based on past posts before this whole argument began), I would have no problem.

I love it how this is the second time I'm singled out by aggressors calling me out on not respecting their opinions when I've only every displayed a tendency to respect people's opinions- the most "hostile" I got in these debates was a sarcastic tone, and I only ever went at people who were doing the disrespecting themselves.

Also, way to derail the thread again... This is so pointless and tiring.

OT: Taking the idea of space Bionicle further, maybe they could bring back the GSR concept from G1 in an altered form, but reveal it from the get go? In Bionicle: The Next Generation (please call it that) the mission of the GSR is not to quietly observe and study, but to interfere in the on-going conflicts plaguing various worlds at various levels of development. The main group of characters, the Toa, have adaptive armor (call it something else because this is not G1, just inspired by it). Every year, the machine visits a different world with some kind of crisis. The product waves would be as follows:

Winter - 6 Toa adapted to blend in with the people of the planet, and 6 small sets depicting either friendly or hostile natives

Summer - 6 Toa-sized sets who depict either friendlies or hostiles, depending on which the small sets already covered, plus 2/3 titans

So every year we'd get the core Toa team with different styled armor, but still in keeping with their personalities and the fact that they're in space, so it would be sci-fi-ish. Maybe one year they are helping a society around their industrial revolution, resulting in sci-fi*steampunk Toa. The next year they are assisting a society who are on the brink of developing FTL travel but the project is being sabotaged, resulting in straight sci-fi Toa. Third year they visit a primitive but mystical society, which would be the "throwback" year that feels like G1 and G2 did with the villagers. Then they could start getting whacky, like visiting a culture that is similar to the Roman Empire but slightly more advanced. Imagine the Toa with armor inspired by the Legionnaires, plus sci-fi elements!

Obviously all the sets would be non-human biomechanical aliens to justify being built with CCBS and allowing the designers to get creative. The Human form is so restrictive.

They could add things like the Toa and the GSR are the last remnants of a former galaxy-spanning civilisation that had great technology, but fell to an unknown force (Makuta). In the culture of every society they visit, the Toa would be present in legends or religion as angels or deities, and lost Toa technology would be found on various planets (like masks of power. You can't have Bionicle without masks of power) and the over-arching story would be that the Toa are trying to find out what happened to the rest of their species. Eventually they encounter Makuta, who could be a former member of the fallen civilisation who acquired great power by becoming some lovecraftian cosmic entity to subjugate the galactic civilisation, which he encompassed in his massive gaseous body. The planets the Toa visit each have a piece of information or tech which would allow them to activate some kind of defensive device to defeat Makuta and free their people, which in the end results in taking them to a repository with Seven new GSR-like robots. Six for the Toa to temporarily control, and a seventh "prison" for the Makuta which can be used to contain him, but must then be defeated traditionally (meaning beat it up) to prevent his escape.

This would give Bionicle a fresh feel by turning Sci-Fi, but would retain the core elements of the franchise with 6 elemental heroes, the Toa, fighting against Makuta to save their civilisation. As I mentioned, the Masks of Power would still be a thing, and the Toa wouldn't be the only members of their "race". We'd have the new equivalent to Matoran and Turaga and other archetypes within the "Toa race", but would see less of them since the emphasis would be on the new species of every planet.

I know this is a wild departure from what Bionicle was about in G1, but I don't think that is an issue. G1 was great, but it was its own thing and it's unfortunately over. I think G2 may have been hurt from trying to emulate G1 as much as it did, and I think IF G3 becomes a thing, it should take a larger departure from the roots of the franchise. I love G1, but trying to copy it won't help anyone.

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Second of all - Bionicle G2 was a disaster.

I see you are still incapable of grasping the concept of an opinion.

:miru:

Mate, I really don't feel like starting on this again, but how many times must I reiterate that it's not your or anyone else's different opinion I have an issue with, just with their method of delivery? If you think G2 was poor, not as good as G1, go ahead, that's your opinion. I'm okay with that. You thought G2 sales were doing poorly and thought the line would end? Well, you were right. Congratulations. Based on what I saw, I had a different opinion and was wrong. I'd be the first to admit that.

However there is a reason that we bumped kanohi on the forums these past weeks, and that's the method of conveying an opinion. You were shutting down people who though something else than you, acted with hostility from the get-go and never backed up your statements except once, when you said that a Lego employee said something about not getting new Bionicles. I'm not rekindling this debate, seeing as Bionicle has ended and it's clear who was right, but that doesn't justify the means. If you would have been defending the same concept as me with the same attitude, I still would have had a problem with you. However, if you would have disagreed with me and others in what I'd think is a slightly more civil manner (something I know you are capable of based on past posts before this whole argument began), I would have no problem.

I love it how this is the second time I'm singled out by aggressors calling me out on not respecting their opinions when I've only every displayed a tendency to respect people's opinions- the most "hostile" I got in these debates was a sarcastic tone, and I only ever went at people who were doing the disrespecting themselves.

Also, way to derail the thread again... This is so pointless and tiring.

OT: Taking the idea of space Bionicle further, maybe they could bring back the GSR concept from G1 in an altered form, but reveal it from the get go? In Bionicle: The Next Generation (please call it that) the mission of the GSR is not to quietly observe and study, but to interfere in the on-going conflicts plaguing various worlds at various levels of development. The main group of characters, the Toa, have adaptive armor (call it something else because this is not G1, just inspired by it). Every year, the machine visits a different world with some kind of crisis. The product waves would be as follows:

Winter - 6 Toa adapted to blend in with the people of the planet, and 6 small sets depicting either friendly or hostile natives

Summer - 6 Toa-sized sets who depict either friendlies or hostiles, depending on which the small sets already covered, plus 2/3 titans

So every year we'd get the core Toa team with different styled armor, but still in keeping with their personalities and the fact that they're in space, so it would be sci-fi-ish. Maybe one year they are helping a society around their industrial revolution, resulting in sci-fi*steampunk Toa. The next year they are assisting a society who are on the brink of developing FTL travel but the project is being sabotaged, resulting in straight sci-fi Toa. Third year they visit a primitive but mystical society, which would be the "throwback" year that feels like G1 and G2 did with the villagers. Then they could start getting whacky, like visiting a culture that is similar to the Roman Empire but slightly more advanced. Imagine the Toa with armor inspired by the Legionnaires, plus sci-fi elements!

Obviously all the sets would be non-human biomechanical aliens to justify being built with CCBS and allowing the designers to get creative. The Human form is so restrictive.

They could add things like the Toa and the GSR are the last remnants of a former galaxy-spanning civilisation that had great technology, but fell to an unknown force (Makuta). In the culture of every society they visit, the Toa would be present in legends or religion as angels or deities, and lost Toa technology would be found on various planets (like masks of power. You can't have Bionicle without masks of power) and the over-arching story would be that the Toa are trying to find out what happened to the rest of their species. Eventually they encounter Makuta, who could be a former member of the fallen civilisation who acquired great power by becoming some lovecraftian cosmic entity to subjugate the galactic civilisation, which he encompassed in his massive gaseous body. The planets the Toa visit each have a piece of information or tech which would allow them to activate some kind of defensive device to defeat Makuta and free their people, which in the end results in taking them to a repository with Seven new GSR-like robots. Six for the Toa to temporarily control, and a seventh "prison" for the Makuta which can be used to contain him, but must then be defeated traditionally (meaning beat it up) to prevent his escape.

This would give Bionicle a fresh feel by turning Sci-Fi, but would retain the core elements of the franchise with 6 elemental heroes, the Toa, fighting against Makuta to save their civilisation. As I mentioned, the Masks of Power would still be a thing, and the Toa wouldn't be the only members of their "race". We'd have the new equivalent to Matoran and Turaga and other archetypes within the "Toa race", but would see less of them since the emphasis would be on the new species of every planet.

I know this is a wild departure from what Bionicle was about in G1, but I don't think that is an issue. G1 was great, but it was its own thing and it's unfortunately over. I think G2 may have been hurt from trying to emulate G1 as much as it did, and I think IF G3 becomes a thing, it should take a larger departure from the roots of the franchise. I love G1, but trying to copy it won't help anyone.

Depending on WHEN G3 returns it could go this way.

Say it returns in another 5 years.

This would be perfect.

But if it comes back in 1 to 2 years it should be a continuation of G2 but with no more added ties to G1. Let it live in its own world, not in the ashes of another.

If it returns in 10+ years it should be a hard reboot.

• Upvote 2

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I'd also like to see more elements in G3. What happened to Sonics, Iron, Gravity and all the other cool powers a Toa could be? Just sayin...

Agreed. I'd also love some entirely new elements that weren't even part of G1's extended elementary table, plus I'm hoping that light will no longer be an exclusive element to one character, and that shadow will not be equal to evil. Toa of Shadow could act as stealthy infiltrators, still fighting for the "good" side. 

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I'd also like to see more elements in G3. What happened to Sonics, Iron, Gravity and all the other cool powers a Toa could be? Just sayin...

Agreed. I'd also love some entirely new elements that weren't even part of G1's extended elementary table, plus I'm hoping that light will no longer be an exclusive element to one character, and that shadow will not be equal to evil. Toa of Shadow could act as stealthy infiltrators, still fighting for the "good" side. 

Kinda like Marvel antiheroes like Deadpool, but of course much less vulgar and more kid friendly, right? Also I'd like to see bionicle return to having a more hard rock kinda vibe to their commercials. I think the music for G2 was pretty fantastic, but is it possible that the target audience is more drawn towards the sounds of more edgy guitar/rock in the commercials? Or was that just a thing from the last decade?

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Kinda like Marvel antiheroes like Deadpool, but of course much less vulgar and more kid friendly, right? Also I'd like to see bionicle return to having a more hard rock kinda vibe to their commercials. I think the music for G2 was pretty fantastic, but is it possible that the target audience is more drawn towards the sounds of more edgy guitar/rock in the commercials? Or was that just a thing from the last decade?

What Bionicle's marketing needs more of is freaking Gloryhammer.

Now that would make for powerful advertising.

I've had quite a few ideas for what my own attempt at making a Bionicle storyline would turn out like, but in terms of story, I'd make everything about Takua and his Chronicler's Company's journey across the island of Okoto.  The villager sets would be small and cheap enough for impulse buying, and their characters would give more creative freedom than the old Toa Mata team all over again (who in this story would only be cameos until the endgame hits).

The backstory would be like a combination of G1 and G2's legens, with the Okotoans having been brought to the island from the heavens by the Great Beings, with two gods, Great Makuta and Wise Ekimu, sent to watch over them- Ekimu and his circle of elders would guide the villagers, and Makuta and his brotherhood of knights would protect them.  A century before the present day, however, Makuta and most of his brotherhood would go rogue, plunging the island into a civil war that would only end with their banishment from what would become Ekimu's kingdom into the Southern Wastes.  Those hundred years would pass, and strange beasts would begin laying siege to the kingdom, prompting newly-minted Chronicler Takua to journey across the land to discover their origin, gathering friends as he did so.

Some interesting notes about this setting- like I said, the Toa Mata would be mostly background characters at first, with each being lord-protector over one of the six villages in Ekimu's Kingdom.  Every important character would have some sort of title, like Master Kopaka or Warlord Kulta or Almighty Icarax.  Just to mess with fans of older generations, Great Makuta would show up in the background of a flashback to the war or two, but probably not be referred to by name at first, and for the most part it would originally seem like the original lead knight of the Brotherhood, Mighty Teridax, would be in charge of the civilization in the Southern Wastes, only for him to suddenly mention a master at one point, and then suddenly Makuta is a thing.  The prerequisite origins twist would be that all the villagers, even Makuta and Ekimu, were once drones on a ship the Great Beings were going to use to terraform and colonize a new planet with, only for a crash landing to kill the ship's crew aside from the drones, who would eventually achieve sentience; the ship would eventually sink into the ocean and be regarded as a holy place that not even Makuta would dare to disturb, with no one aware of their origins there.

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)
  • Upvote 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Sonics had to go fast, Iron became a man, and Gravity hurt.

• Upvote 5

Speaking of elements, how about a mix and match of classical elements? Such as fire, water, earth, air, metal, and wood?

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Speaking of elements, how about a mix and match of classical elements? Such as fire, water, earth, air, metal, and wood?

I'd be happy as a Rahi clam* if Pohatu was made a Toa of iron.

*note: Rahi clams probably aren't a thing.

Guys, really? "Bionicle: Beast Wars"? Everybody knows that if Bionicle went down that path, it would be called "Bionicle: Rahi Wars."

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'm seeing some really cool ideas here, and I think I'll offer up my own.

Alright, here's the setting/story. What if G3 redid Metru Nui? The whole setting and characters can get a fresh, new coat of paint and the new Toa Metru could even face new threats. Even though redesigned Vahki would be the stuff of legends, there could be a whole team of Dark Hunters instead. Just think; The Shadowed One sends six Hunters instead of two (three if you count Eliminator), but this time, they could look for the six Great Disks or something. The Toa Metru end up learning about the Dark Hunter organization and have to find out where their HQ is located, who leads them, etc. That's where Lhikan could come in. The Toa could find him and he could tell them the whole back story on Nidhiki and how TSO is rarely seen or something like that.

As for the sets, G3 needs to show G2 up in terms of amount. We'll have the six Toa Metru, but maybe do something special for Matau. He could have a speeder bike like he did in the beginning of Legends of Metru Nui, but I'm not sure how well that would work out. Either way, we just need a speeder bike. Then we'll have the six Matoran: Nuhrii, Tehutti, Vhisola, Orkham, Ahkmou, and Ehrye. If possible, we could even revive the mask pack gig so you can switch out the Matoran masks to get random citizens. As for the Dark Hunters, we need Krekka and Nidhiki to be involved, and then the other four Dark Hunters could be redesigned G1 Hunters or completely new guys/gals. I guarantee that a villain wave of that caliber will make us forget G2's underwhelming amount of villains. As for special sets, Lhikan needs to be one of them, whether he's a Toa or Turaga.

The next year could have upgraded Toa Metru facing more Dark Hunters and eventually The Shadowed One, but I didn't think that far ahead.

Hear hear!

Actually I have made brick-built speeder bikes for Matoran before, I came up with an outlaw biker gang, the Falling Stars.  If it actually became a thing... well then I might as well just hand Lego my wallet.

I think Metru Nui could be really awesome - toppling the Vahki's regime, smuggling Matoran out of the city, chutes and robots and hacking and oh my gosh why is this not a thing yet?!?

That you have no response other than "shut up" attests to the fact that you have no grounds to stand on here.

Believe me, I was not implying that I want him to shut up. I was saying that I think that it's time for the users of this site to freaking grow up

This is a toy site, and the average user age, from what I've seen, is in their mid twenties. What does that show?

why are you even here then lmfao

anywho

I really don't know what I'd want of G3. Another hard reboot, taken a little more seriously than G2 would be cool.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 1

Bingo. The magic trick was the happy (and maybe impossible to recreate?) medium between the comics/MNOLG/the mini-CDs that told a deep, but small enough story that 1) you could more or less keep track of by memory and 2) created a fantastic world with a lot of gaps you could fill yourself. Tremendous way to leverage fan-based creative freedom to build a brand.

Yes! I think people forget that 2001 was completely LOADED with gaps, and it was actually a stronger story for it. We only ever saw the Toa collect a handful of masks, which left the majority of their adventures up to the imaginations of the kids. The continuity lockout in the latter half of G1 wasn't just because of how much backstory there was, but because the story shifted to an extremely linear plot with each year taking lasting only a week or so in-story. Such a baffling decision! From 2001 to 2003/4, much of the story happened offscreen and we only saw isolated glimpses of it through the media. 

Now, for G3...I wonder if they end up doing what Star Wars (twice), Transformers, etc. have all ended up doing: Wait until the original fans have kids, reboot for the modern day--whatever that looks like. G2 was awfully soon, in that sense. Old fans are only now starting to graduate and have disposable income/time to become AFOLs. I've been able to share Bionicle with my wife (with great success), but I think they can afford to wait and drop a better nostalgia bomb in another 5-10 years.

Not sure if this would work. Star Wars can do this because it's a heavily-advertised movie franchise, whereas the majority of adults are pretty unaware of what's going on in the toy industry. Lego would have to work extremely hard to bring Bionicle into the public consciousness if it wanted to use this approach. It would probably take a heavily-promoted theatrical film. 

• Upvote 2

I'm honestly a little scared Bionicle will never get another chance, but if it does I stand by my hopes that it's primarily story-focused with really talented writers, story tellers, and world builders.

I'd want it to have a legitimate and central way of telling it's story, preferably a comic book or tv show, with novels and such being used to branch off the story and build the world out even further.

I'd want it to go all the way and be darker than Bionicle ever used to be, like seriously more intense and interesting. I'd want the world to feel more brutal and the consequences of everything to hit much harder.

I'd want it to be well funded and invested in, and if toys are made for them to not be a factor that drives the story but rather the other way around. In the story characters could go through transformations that are relevant symbolically and plot-wise. So the same character toy wise would change fairly much with each iteration and with symbolic purpose that says something about their character and the things they've been through. A character could lose an arm in the story, decorate their mask, get a new weapon, have their old armor misshaped and mismatched with patches and scratches and bumps and twisted metal plus layers of new shinier armor put on top of parts that were totally destroyed in battle.

And more than anything I want Bionicle to matter.

I feel betrayed by LEGO with G2. I feel like LEGO never even gave it a real chance after the first year and never seized and took full advantage of the opportunities that could come with it. G2 wasn't good because no one knew what it needed to be. They tried to make it 2001 because that's what the "pinnacle" of Bionicle was for so many people but it could never properly capture the spirit of that because it's lathered in nostalgia but even in execution it doesn't reach anything even close and ends up feeling like a cheap knock off story-wise. Bionicle wasn't about 2001 or the nostalgia, it was about 2001-2010 and the fantastic worlds and amazing unique characters that came with it.

G2 was none of that, and LEGO couldn't even commit enough to it to drag it out to the end it planned so it would at least be decent and worth it. If LEGO had just finished it as planned and didn't abort it like an unwanted child then it could've even been really cool in a lot of respects, because even though G2 was disappointing it had plenty of potential and great ideas and cool things that it did.

So what would I want G3 to be? Either a continuation of G1, but since that's unlikely and would be really difficult to pull off (or rather they don't have the same vision of it as I do and I don't trust that they would be able to pull it off) I'd want G3 to be another reboot, but this time not even starting off trying to imitate the fabled "Golden Age" of Bionicle but rather accepting what it is and what it should be full on and focus on story telling which was, is, and always will be the core thing about Bionicle that made it great.

The story gave the sets life, and I don't know how much I could believe the denial of the fact that the sets wouldn't have been as successful without the story surrounding them. They on their own were dynamic and cool and would've done well, but they're nothing without the story, no matter your experiences with them. Any toy that's good enough can become nostalgic and create many great memories of playing with it, but a great story is something that can really affect you and change who you are and what you believe. When you watch, listen to, read, imagine a story it literally becomes a part of you and your identity if it sticks with you and hits the right spot in your mind.

I don't believe for a second that Bionicle is just "something the kids aren't into these days". If something is REALLY good, it doesn't matter whether people are into it because then it'll really capture their attention and become something "kids are into these days". And maybe I'm wrong, maybe that's a foolish or short sighted mentality but then I don't care because that's something I have to believe because I cannot let the context of the time determine the quality of a work I make or excuse the works of others, because to me that's the only real ignorance of the situation. Story telling is an art and a craft, even if it's for kids.

Sorry for another rant. At least I have my own stories and worlds that I can do with what I please and think is right.

• Upvote 2

A cartoon and a strong push to start off with would be great, with a focus on storytelling. I am no sort of G2 hater, but I do feel like its very slow start helped sink that ship. 

In any case, it should only return if the people running it come up with a good idea and a strong vision for it and not just because people demand it back or for nostalgia's sake. I'm willing to wait however long that takes.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Considering that the Toa in Gen2 were (more or less) the same famous Toa from Gen1, maybe Gen3 should do something with all-star villains.  Instead of having a team of heroes from Gen1, have a team of traitors.

Ahkmou, Toa of Stone.  Vultraz, Toa of Fire.  Mavrah, Toa of Earth.  Nidhiki, Toa of Air.  Metus, Toa of Ice.  And Tuyet, Toa of Water.

Also, another idea:  if and when there was a Gen3, would you like humans to be involved in the story?  Maybe the Toa and Matoran are robots created by human scientists, maybe Makuta is a powerful virus that's gone out of control.

Thoughts?

Considering that the Toa in Gen2 were (more or less) the same famous Toa from Gen1, maybe Gen3 should do something with all-star villains.  Instead of having a team of heroes from Gen1, have a team of traitors.

Ahkmou, Toa of Stone.  Vultraz, Toa of Fire.  Mavrah, Toa of Earth.  Nidhiki, Toa of Air.  Metus, Toa of Ice.  And Tuyet, Toa of Water.

Also, another idea:  if and when there was a Gen3, would you like humans to be involved in the story?  Maybe the Toa and Matoran are robots created by human scientists, maybe Makuta is a powerful virus that's gone out of control.

Thoughts?

I really like that traitor idea! There's surprisingly enough of them to allow it to happen.

As for the human thing, I would never support that, frankly. Bionicle belongs in its own world. And if Transformers has shown us anything, humans bring no value to the story.

Considering the controversey going on here with other toa elements is that there should be two toa teams the one with the orignial elements, and the other with the elements of Sonic, gravity, Iron, magnetism, Psionic, lightning, Magnetism, and Plantlife.

Hello there.