Retribution

Dane-gerous

As Abaddon's fist buried itself deep into the side of my skull, and my eyes closed, my mind decided to wander to how this all started.

It had only been a few days, but it felt so much longer in my mind. I had fought, been mutilated, abandoned and betrayed, all in less than 3 days.

I suppose I should go from the very beginning.

RETRIBUTION

I clutched my ribs, occasionally moaning a little, when the pain flared up again. The fall had very nearly broken my legs, but I hadn't actually ended up landing on the ground, rather on the mess of trees above it. I sighed. I still couldn't piece together everything that had happened today, but I had a rough idea. That.... thing manipulated me in some way, perhaps using a Komau, I didn't know. All I knew was that I needed to get off this island, because if that thing knew I wasn't dead, I was sure it would correct its mistake. I wasn't in the condition to travel, however. I needed either medical help, or I'd have to improvise. Either way, I was not moving at this moment. Sighing, I took a look around. I was still in the forest, but it appeared time had passed since I met that thing. It was now early night, and the whole forest was colored a nice, gentle blue. I wished I could have appreciated it, but the more time I spent here, the more time that thing had to find me. Still clutching my ribs, I began to move. Without my mask, I was extremely weak, but I was still strong enough to continue moving. As I limped slowly across the moonlit grass, I began to think about what this thing was. It was almost certainly not a Toa, but it was not a rahi either. It could laugh, so I could deduce it was sentient, at least. It was definitely more powerful than me, especially without a mask.

Crunch.

What was that?

I span around, immediately in a battle ready stance. Nothing was there. I sighed, relieved. I turned back around, and continued walking slowly.

Crunch. Crunch.

I span around again, much quicker this time. Stood right behind me was a short green figure, who appeared to be wearing a Noble Mahiki. His yellow eyes looked at me in fear. I sighed again, even more relieved this time. It was just a local Le-Matoran.

"H-hello?" He called out fearfully.

"It's okay, kid. I'm not anything to be afraid of." Waves of guilt hit me as I said those words, considering what had happened only a few hours before.

"Are you a...toa?" He asked, coming a little bit closer.

"That...I am. Though I'm starting to doubt that myself." I said, scratching my shoulder.

"Say, kid. You live in a village, right? Could you take me to your turaga? I would like to speak to him."

"Our turaga has been missing for a few hours now....the whole village is worried...I was hoping you could help us...." The matoran said, a little quietly.

I winced again, as the pain came back a little. "Can you take me to your village?"

"Sure..."

He began to move in the opposite direction to where I was previously going.

"Wait, kid! What's your name?"

He turned around.

"It's Bonkle, sir!"

To be continued..

Edited by Roadhog
  • Upvote 5

"So...what kind of Toa are you?" The curious Matoran asked me.

The question cued a sigh as I recalled my unconventional and somewhat outlandish transformation. "I'm gonna be honest kid, I don't know either at this point. Mata Nui decided not to give me any real guidance as to what I am, and what I should be. All I know is that I am alive, and my name is Dane." I shook my head as we both walked through the dark cyan colored forest. "Something tells me you haven't seen a Toa before, Bonkle." I observed, as he seemed very excited by my presence. "Well, we've only really had a Turaga in our village. It's pretty exciting to have a real toa around for once!" The Matoran replied cheerfully. This earned a faint smile from me.

Soon enough we arrived at the village. It was a average Le-Matoran village, houses in the trees made of wicker, ladders leading up to the treehouses and vines all around. It was eerily quiet, especially for a usually music filled Village of Air. "There usually people home?" I asked. "...Usually...? Where is everyone?" Bonkle asked, seemingly just as confused as I was. I climbed up one of the many ladders and took a look into one of the huts. Nothing. All of their belongings and everything were still there, the only thing missing was the villager themself. I checked another one. Nothing. And again, everything but the villagers in perfect place. As I turned to leave this one, Bonkle ran up to me, who had apparently been checking the other huts too. "They're all gone!" He said, his eyes wide. "Calm down. We can get to the bottom of this. Let's check the Turaga's hut, perhaps there might be a clue or two there." We made our way over there, and opened the door. To my utter disgust and shock, on the wall next to all of the Turaga's masks and his badge of office, was a decapitated Matoran head, pinned to the wall via a spear that was primary used by the guard of a certain village. Bonkle immediately covered his face in shock. The Matoran's eyes had rolled right into his head, and you could still see the silver spine of the matoran that had been hastily ripped out. I felt sick looking at it. A note appeared to be attached to the end of the spine. I walked up to the wall, and ripped off the note, and gave it a look. I read it out so that Bonkle could hear too. 

Dear Toa Dane and insignificant matoran.

I have decided I am rather sick of Toa meddling with my plans. Since I cannot kill you yet (that would be extremely anti-climatic, wouldn't it?) I have decided instead to murder all of your precious little villagers, and make sure your Turaga can't do anything at all to help you.

But don't worry, soon enough you'll be able to catch up with all your little Matoran buddies in the gates of .

Toodles!

-A 

If this was who I thought it was, we needed to get out of here, fast. "Bonkle, we need to leave. This place isn't safe. If this thing knows we're here, we need to get as FAR away from here as possible." I said this in a panicked tone. I had already seen what this being can do, and I wasn't going to stick around to see the sequel. "B-but....my friends.." He said, sadly. "I know, and I'm sorry, but if you die too their sacrifice would be completely vain."

He finally nodded, sadly. "Wait....before we go...I need to give you something." The matoran reached under the turaga's bed, and pulled out a protodermis colored Komau. "The Turaga saved this mask for a Toa, a hero, when he finally came. You will need this if you want to survive." I took the mask, and put it on my bare face. Waves of energy flowed through me as I donned the mask, and I felt all my wounds start to soften. "Thank you. Now let's go." The two of us exited the hut, and began to climb down the ladder, onto the grass and into the forest.

To be continued...

• Upvote 2

We were currently on the island of Neo Mata Nui, which was constructed by the giant robot that the Great Spirit once inhabited, before his unfortunate death. It was located in the middle of Aqua Magna, and was quite a bit larger than the original Mata Nui that the Toa Nuva protected. After the Great Spirit died, the new inhabitants of the newly reformed Spherus Magna argued over which land they should have. Factions began to form, many seeking for resources and land. Unsurprisingly, the first to try and take land by force were the Skakdi Alliance, who took control over the south of Bota Magna, killing and capturing many innocents in the process. The newly formed Toa Empire, which consisted of both Toa and Glatorians, attempted to reclaim this land, starting a war between the two factions. The vortixx, as usual, seeing the opportunity to profit from this, began to manufacture new weapons, and in the process, inventing the firearm. Not so long after, Red Star industries was formed, a company that dealed in all sorts of exotic weaponry, explosives, and gadgets. As new weapons began to be obtained by the two factions, more blood was shed, and more soldiers became mere corpses. The Skakdi Alliance began to lose, due to more brash tactics, and less men. Eventually, they surrendered, agreeing to have Northern Region and Bara Magna, whilst the Toa Empire took the rest of the planet. But just as peace began to settle, many inhabitants saw what appeared to be a star in the sky. What many thought was a star, soon crashed down onto Bota Magna, where the most Toa were living at the time. The impact of the "star" killed many civilians, and a lot of the empire's army was murdered in the explosion. The Skakdi, seizing this opportunity, soon began to take back control over a lot of the regions of the planet, leaving what was left of the Great Forest to the Toa, who were few and far between. Many migrated to smaller islands in Aqua Magna, including Neo Mata Nui. The Skakdi now ruled most of the world, with no-one now questioning their rule, fearing the star to be an omen of Irnakk.

I felt this history lesson was important, because it may clarify a few things about the rest of the story.

Right, the story. Let's get back to that.

I couldn't help but think if this was the right thing to do, taking Bonkle with me. He was only a Matoran, and I was making him vulnerable by just being with him. I stopped him as we were walking out of the village. "Bonkle....I think this is where we should part ways. Sorry, kid. But the longer I am with you, the more likely you are to die. And I'm not going to let someone else die because of me." He shook his head. "No. Where am I supposed to go without you? Everyone's dead. I'm not going." I sighed. "Kid....I'm not a her-" "NO! YOU JUST SAW WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE AND NOW YOU WANT TO LEAVE ME?! WHAT THE KARZ IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" He stood in front of me, preventing me from moving. "If you don't get out of my way I'm going to have to make you." He shook his head defiantly. "I am not going to be left to the mercy of this psychopath." I looked up at the sky, and swore to myself. "Forgive me, whoever's out there." I muttered to myself, before punching Bonkle in the stomach. His eyes widened and he keeled over. "I'm sorry, but I'm not a hero. I can't be responsible for any more deaths." I said to him, kneeling down next to him. I got up, and began to walk off, before I heard Bonkle mutter something, inbetween his groaning. "You're not a-agh-true Toa." He spat out blood, before collapsing completely. I went back, and picked him up, before walking back to the village, and putting him back in the house labeled "Bonkle". As I trudged my way out of the village, my mind began to cook up a plan.

The creature grinned, as he looked at the three figures that had arrived. Each of them wielded weapons of a dangerous caliber, but all were different. "You might be wondering who I am, my new friends. I am Abaddon. I am the one who hired you. However, I am sure you are not here to converse. You're here for a profit. I suppose what would be the most valuable information to you right now is what you need to do in order to get said profit. It is simple, really." The creature pulled up a drawing. "This is a Kanohi Komau. This is what the particular person I need capturing wears. He is also dark green, and wears thick armor. You'll most likely find him with a little runt following him, if need be, dispatch the runt. I only need the Toa. Restrain him as need be, however, do not hurt him as much as you can, the better condition he's in, the higher the pay for all of you." The shadows around the creature constantly shifted, like he was part of them. He passed the drawing to the Vortixx mercenary, who carried a short, sawed off scatter gun. "Use that for reference." The creature smiled, in a very menacing way. "Any questions?" The skakdi raised his hand. "Does he have any weapons?" The creature shook his head. "No, I made sure of that a long time ago." The skakdi nodded, and the silence afterwards indicated that no further questions were needed. "No more? Good. Happy hunting, friends." The three mercenaries began to walk out of the cave, and the creature's smile grew wider.

To be continued..

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

They tried everything to get me to work. Injecting antidermis, mind control, torture. None of it worked. They decided that I was a failure, and decided to imprison me, instead. I was blindfolded, and thrown into a prison on an island I didn't know the location of. I was trapped in that cell for a few weeks, festering, unable to do anything. Then, they came.

(Recommended listening)

I heard an explosion coming from a cell nearby followed by screeching, yelling and kanoka being discharged. A thin, tall figure ran up to the bars of my cell. He was carrying a sword, and had no Kanohi, instead a weird, insectoid like face. He took a look at me, before slashing the lock off the cell, and opening the door. "Come with me, unless you'd prefer to rot in this prison longer." Not hesitating to leave, I ran out of the cell, and the figure gestured to follow. Around us, chaos reigned. Dead rahkshi lay around the claustrophobic corridor of the prison, cells on each side reminding me that many of the prisoners on this island would never escape, which was emphasised by the desperate inmates banging on the bars. The figure and I ran through the corridor, the sounds of fighting getting closer as we ran. "Who are you?" I yelled to my new friend. "That doesn't matter right now, all that matters is that you make it out of this prison alive, because if you don't, a lot of people are going to be mad." The figure stated, as we approached a corner. Just as we swerved around the corner, a massive hulk of a creature flew just past us, nearly knocking me over. It crashed into the wall behind us, cracking it. It then fell over onto it's front. The figure ran back and helped it up. It was mostly red, with white arms and legs and feet. His head was like that of a Rahkshi. Instead of hands, it had giant claws that he occasionally clasped like hands. His feet were oversized, most likely to support his weight. The creature roared, before running off back into the chaos. 2 others were fighting with the Rahkshi guards, the prisoners watching, cheering them on. The figure ran off after the creature, before being tackled by a particularly large Rahkshi of Magnetism, and held down. I ran towards him, and shoved off the Rahkshi, making it screech, and swing his staff at the figure. The figure blocked it with his blade, before disarming it. The figure seemed to get bigger for a second, before pouncing on the Rahkshi in the exact same way that it had done to him. He pinned him down and reached inside of the Rahkshi's kraata case, before pulling out the slug and crushing it with his hands, executing it. The figure looked at the others, who were also fighting the guards. "We have what we came for, let's go!" He yelled, before gesturing for me to leave through the exit. I wasted no time in running out, to the outside, towards freedom.

I could always tell when something was wrong. That sounds a bit cliche, considering how I'm supposed be a legendary hero, and all that, but it's true. I had left the woods a while ago, into the marsh that surrounded the cliffs. But something still did not feel right. I felt like my escape from the village was too easy, as "A" could have very easily captured me, or worse, Bonkle. As I explored the marsh, a low humming noise began to emit. It followed me everywhere, seemingly always the same volume, and pitch. Before I had a chance to look around to see what it was, I felt my mouth and shoulder being gripped by an invisible force. I struggled, as smooth, almost reptilian skin began to form, forming a hand on my mouth and shoulder. A low cackling came from behind me, before I felt the hand on my mouth leave, replaced by a cold metal on my head. "Move, and I'll blow your ###### brains out." I heard a voice say, in a low, gravelly voice. I did as he said, as I didn't particularly want my brain turned into charred chips. Two other figures appeared out of nowhere, seemingly using a cloaking system. One was a stout yellow skakdi, wielding a handgun and a knife. The other was a female Toa of Earth, who was wearing a Kanohi Akaku. In her hand was a revolver. "Now, what you are going to do, is take off your mask, and let us handcuff you. If not, I will be happy to blow each of your limbs off until you obey me. Sound good? Good." The voice said, spit hitting the back of my neck. I nodded. I took off my mask, the energy quickly draining from my body. The skakdi pulled out some handcuffs. "Now stick your hands out." The voice said. I did so, but then, as the skakdi was about to put the handcuffs on me, I launched my elbow backwards, knocking whatever was behind me over. The Onu-Toa fired her weapon, but I dodged, diving on her and ripping her weapon out of her hands. I attempted to snap her neck, but I heard a bang, and felt my leg scream in pain. I looked at it, and "blood" was pouring out of it, with a gunmetal colored projectile lodged in it. The skakdi's gun was smoking, and his normal skakdi smile was even wider now. Suddenly I felt my head be gripped from the back, and slammed into the ground. Pain smothered my face over and over as I went deeper into the mud. I felt the wet dirt enter my mouth, and my eyes, and.....

CAN'T....BREATHE.....

S T O P ....

My mind blurred, and I passed out.

To be continued.

Edited by QuIn
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

The orange-white light of the portal hurt my eyes. It constantly flickered, seemingly in and out of existence. It wasn't stable, at all. It was the only light in the cave, besides my own bright yellow heartlight. The skakdi from before stood beside it, his skakdi grin now more like a scowl. Bonds kept my arms and legs from moving. The cave smelt damp, but at the same time, I smelt the stench of burning coming from the portal. I felt a hand grasp my shoulder, and I tensed up. It didn't feel....real...but it was there...somehow.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I turned my head, and saw him. The creature. The thing that had been chasing me this entire time. "A". He...looked like an apparition. A ghost, so to speak. His hands were like gaseous claws, but they felt solid, somehow. He was tall, extremely tall, in fact, but also slightly thin. Dark blue shadows surrounded most of his body, except for his face. His mask was...an Olmak. The Mask of Dimensional Gates. Everything began to fit in place. Yet it was cracked, and looked like it had been broken at one point.

"Maybe to you...to me it just looks unnatural." I said. "So who are you, exactly, and what do you want with me?"

"A" laughed.  "You have no idea how important you are, do you? Very well, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name, is Abaddon. Makuta Abaddon, if you want to get into technicalities. But I'm sure you don't care about the finite details." I felt the bonds on my arms and legs fall off. "Oh, you won't be needing those." His face never changed, but I got the feeling he was smiling underneath that mask.

He patted my shoulder, making me tense even more.

"All I want is what the Brotherhood gave you when they were doing their little experiments on you."

"Whatever you want, I don't have it. I didn't work." I said, a little angry.

"Oh, that's irrelevant. Regardless if you did not work or not, you still have the ingredients to. So hand them over." His claw gripped my shoulder harder.

I had no idea what he was talking about, and even if I did, I could not hand it over to him, considering what he had made me do.

"You don't even know how to, do you?" He realized. Suddenly, I felt his grip tighten, harder and harder, until he pulled, and I felt my heart stop. I screamed in pain, as he ripped my arm from its socket, spitting protodermis and blood everywhere. It felt like my existence was being pulled apart. The agony was unbearable. Blood continued to leak from the socket.

I looked over to him, cringing in terrible pain. "W-w-what....the....karz....why?!"

He laughed again, and he pushed my now detached arm into his body, and it slowly engulfed it, before it was one with him.

I moaned again, realizing I could never use my left arm again.

Abaddon began to change, his claws becoming longer, his legs and arms also growing in length, and his body becoming bigger in bulk. He laughed again, in apparent joy.

"Thank you, Dane. Or should I call you "Renegade"? That's what you were called in the Hunters, right?"

I said nothing, simply groaning or whimpering every few seconds.

"I suppose I owe you some answers before you...well.....go to the other side. You were originally going to be....redesigned as a weapon against the Order's ever growing Toa army.  An Anti-Toa, so to speak. Yet the antidermis we gave you didn't work. You would not obey anything we told you to do. And we could not have a disobedient soldier. It was a shame, because you were so adept at the other things we designed you for. You could fight, you were durable, and best of all, you could kill. Unfortunately, for both me and you, you refused to obey, therefore, you were a disappointment. Without obedience, you were just the Toa that you were before we found you. Now, when your little friends broke you out of your prison, I got quite the blame for that, not that it was in my control, but the Makuta had to blame someone. And since I came up with the concept to make you, that someone was me."

He looked at the portal again.

"Dimensional banishment is one of the worst punishments the Brotherhood can issue. And I was "lucky" enough to suffer that punishment. I was trapped in an alternate dimension for years. I missed so much, Dane. Let's just say I had to pull some strings to get back."

He looked back at me, smiling.

"But now I am back, and I have the person responsible for my banishment right in front of me. I find it is only fitting that I send you to another world, just as those Brotherhood idiots did to me."

He continued to go on, but I wasn't focused on him. I was not losing anything else thanks to him. I realized what I was wearing on my face. The mask of mind control.

The skakdi from before still stood silently next to the portal. But he also had his gun, which gave me an idea. I tried to remember what the Shadowed One told me about using masks. I...just had to....focus my mind on the Skakdi.

Shoot Abaddon. Shoot him. Shoot him.....now!

And just like that, the skakdi raised his arm holding the gun, and fired at the Makuta. The bullet whizzed through the air and hit Abaddon in the face, causing him to reel back in pain. He roared, and the skakdi suddenly leapt off his feet. He began to float, before being crushed into a small ball, seemingly by nothing. The Makuta then looked at me, in anger. "I think it's time for you to leave, don't you?" He said, his words like poison. His mask was still smoking from the bullet. I then felt myself by lifted up off the ground, and then thrown forwards, towards the portal. I closed my eyes as my fate approached me, and everything went numb.

To be continued...

Edited by Roadhog
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I lay on the dusty, now red stained rock. My eyes struggled to stay open as I slowly bled from both my leg and what was left of my arm.

I felt numb.

The portal had closed long ago, with no sign of ever reopening. I was stuck in this hellish desert, alone, dying. My mouth was dry except for the slight amount of blood that came every now and again from me coughing.

The corners of my eyes began to dim, as I looked up at the sky. This was the end.

Eventually I gave out to exhaustion and passed out, my broken and bleeding body slowly cooking in the hot wasteland sun.

The last thing I remember thinking of was why my mask was gone.

The mercenary that had come to rescue me had lost a lot of men on the way, and was consequently not very happy. He mumbled to himself a lot, and paced across the deck of the boat we were on.

I had learned a little of the people who had come to rescue me. They called themselves the Dark Hunters, and were all hired mercenaries. What I had not picked up was where I fitted in this.

The mercenary called himself "Mimic", an alias to be sure. I heard him refer to the big red and white creature in the prison as "Juggernaut"; as I'd come to learn, all of the Dark Hunters had aliases.

"You better be worth this trouble, Green." Mimic said to me, stopping his pacing. He walked with a sense of nobility, a proud upright stance. His sword hung at his side. He crossed his arms.

"Did you see anyone in that prison that looked like me? Female, dark blue in colour." Mimic asked. His eyes had a slight desperate look to them, like this question was very important to him. 

"No, I'm sorry. There were a lot of people in that prison, but no-one like that." I admitted.

He sighed, uncrossing his arms and looking out to the dark green sea around the boat. The boat itself was really a repurposed fishing boat, most likely to not arouse suspicion. It was going an extremely fast speed for a fishing boat.

"Where are we going?" I asked, breaking the silence.

Mimic looked back at me. "Odina. That's all you're getting right now. Shadowed One is still suspicious of you, he's going to have to verify you're trustworthy first. Not that you'd have any reason to lie, but whatever." I got the impression that he had counted on that woman being in the prison, and instead he got me. I was the one to sigh this time.

I walked over to the side of the boat, resting my arms on the railing and looked at my reflection.

My face was covered by a Noble Kanohi Huna, though I could not get it to work. My eyes glowed through the mask, a construction yellow. My armour was a dark green, like that of the forest, and was reinforced, giving me a more heavy look.

My brief look was interrupted by Mimic yelling at me to get over to him.

I did as he said, running over to him. Juggernaut also joined us, lumbering over like a giant Ash Bear. I was somewhat surprised he didn't break the boat.

Mimic was carrying a long weapon with what appeared to be lightstone magazines fed in the bottom, and a scope on the top.

"Scouts on the coast have reported that they can see a few rahkshi flying over the sea. In our direction." He spoke in an worried tone. "If we don't get to Odina before they catch us...you're going to have to fight them."

He had executed the rahkshi at the prison pretty well, but I knew for a fact that the ones in the prison were very low level. I had....acquired quite a lot of information whilst the Makuta had tried to get me to work.

Juggernaut clenched his claws. "I'm prepared to smash some slugs, Mimic." He said, towering over both me and the mercenary.

Mimic threw me his weapon. I caught it, with ease. "That's a Lightstone sniper. Shadowed One commissioned for a few of these to be made for us. It'll load a karz of a lot faster than the Lightstone rifles they've been selling to 2 bit bounty hunters, and it can fire a lot further too." He explained, drawing his own sword. "Use that, Rahkshi hate light more than anything, and those lightstones will probably burn their Kraata to karzahni. Just load and pull the hammer, give it a couple of seconds to charge then fire."

Just as Mimic had finished explaining, I heard a distant screech from behind us.

Mimic swore, and got to the back of the boat. Juggernaut followed behind. I set up a little bit further, giving me a bit of room to improvise. They weren't here yet, but they weren't too far.

I pulled back the hammer, and prepared myself for the fight to come.

Jacke's usual journey of the Bara Magnan desert was interrupted by what appeared to be a dying Toa of indiscriminate element. Groaning, he got out of his Thornatus, and took a look at the victim.

His arm had been completely severed, and roughly, it looked like. It was torn and ripped, and a dark red-black liquid was oozing out of the stump. He also appeared to be bleeding from his leg, from unknown means. A smashed mask to the side of him showed his fate. The cracked rock he was laying on was covered in life sustaining liquid.

Jacke pondered to himself what to do with the Toa, before he pulled out a coin, and tossed it, betting to himself that it would be heads.

"Tails." He murmured to himself, as the coin landed on his bright yellow fist, perfectly. Perks of having a Sanok, I guess.

He pulled the body onto the back of the Thornatus, somewhat gently, somewhat rough. He put him at the back with the rest of the cargo, and got back into the drivers seat, resuming his journey through the wasteland. If he was to save this guy, he needed to get back to Atero, a doctor there owed him a favour.

The Thornatus zoomed off into the desert, trailing dust and sand behind it.