Bionicle ReBrick Contest Launched

The video was released early last week accidentally, but now it's time for things to really kick off! You can head over to ReBrick and check out The Makuta Challenge, where LEGO is tasking us to build our version of the ultimate Bionicle villain. The contest runs until September 5th, so there's still lots of time to put your ideas together and build. And build you should, because the prizes include a full collection of the 2015 and 2016 Bionicle sets and signed art books showing off the concept art that went into making Bionicle. I wish everyone who enters the best of luck - hopefully the winner will be a BZPower member! What do you think of the contest? Is it a fitting sendoff for Bionicle?

View the full article

• Upvote 1

I'm actually pleased about this. It's much better than G1's sendoff contest. I am disappointed though, having watched the video, that at least one of those masks of ultimate power isn't a prize. It's not like that piece can be reused for anything else.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. 

I'm actually pleased about this. It's much better than G1's sendoff contest. I am disappointed though, having watched the video, that at least one of those masks of ultimate power isn't a prize. It's not like that piece can be reused for anything else.

My guess is that this might be a safety issue. The Mask of Ultimate Power in the video is a 3D-printed piece, so it's not up to TLG's quality standards for play. In order to make one that was, they would have to make a mold, and that costs way too much to just be used for a handful of prizes.

I understand about the quality control; TLG does not skimp on it. I would almost have to disagree, however, about the cost component. I can't imagine putting out a safe mask of ultimate power would be even close to the costs of the bronze Bob Fett, the platinum Avhokii, or even more recently, the 14K masks of 2015. I know this would be a new mold (and those are incredibly expensive), but I imagine they could pull some strings to create a more up-to-code 3D printing. Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but I feel Lego has released several costly one-of-a-kind items in the past.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. 

I understand about the quality control; TLG does not skimp on it. I would almost have to disagree, however, about the cost component. I can't imagine putting out a safe mask of ultimate power would be even close to the costs of the bronze Bob Fett, the platinum Avhokii, or even more recently, the 14K masks of 2015. I know this would be a new mold (and those are incredibly expensive), but I imagine they could pull some strings to create a more up-to-code 3D printing. Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but I feel Lego has released several costly one-of-a-kind items in the past.

Every one of those was based on existing pieces that had molds for mass production, though.  It's one thing to cast an existing piece in metal, but it's another thing altogether to create an entirely new piece.

As far as 3D printing goes, I doubt any 3D printed piece would be able to match the durability and quality of molded polycarbonate.  It's great for prototyping, but it's not going to produce something that's up to LEGO's quality standards or worthy of being a prize in a big contest.

OpAXNpl.jpg

or worthy of being a prize in a big contest.

Especially when anyone could just go 3D print one themselves.

I was going to mention that, but even getting a decent-to-good 3D print can be difficult or expensive depending on one's situation.  You could also conceivably go out and buy all 2015-2016 sets or even cast your own masks out of gold given sufficient money but the point of the contest is that if you win you're spared the expense or trouble (and get something that's official rather than fan-made).

OpAXNpl.jpg

Good luck to anyone entering. I really hope the winner will be kind enough to upload scans of the artbook (or Lego to release it digitally). The great concept art is one of my favorite things from G2.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I really like 3d printed mask and support people efforts. I just dont like that they did not say the moup was 3d printed. Does this mean that makuta sets we saw in the video are not real ?

Also 3d printed masks can be made in steel now. This is my favorite one 

Edited by Rimn

I really like 3d printed mask and support people efforts. I just dont like that they did not say the moup was 3d printed. Does this mean that makuta sets we saw in the video are not real ?

Also 3d printed masks can be made in steel now. This is my favorite one 

The models in the video are just models the designers made for the contest. They are not actual sets and will never be actual sets.