Mask Hoarder - Desert Scourge

Wiriamu

Well, here is version 1.0 of my entry for the Makuta contest, as promised in http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23064-a-question-for-my-compatriots/

NOTE: Some spoilers for the final episodes to Journey to One are contained in this post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143590374@N03/albums/72157668915866814

Posted at Flickr since I can't figure out how to upload my photos to BZPower.

There are worlds without number, where the slightest variation in events can cause unexpected results to be wrought. In one world-one that we know well-the act of Ekimu knocking the Mask of Ultimate Power from the face of his brother Makuta resulted in both Makuta and the Capital City of Okoto being drawn into the Shadow Realm, where Makuta became a Shadow Titan of terrible power. However, there is another world where the Mask of Ultimate Power remained intact when it was knocked from Makuta's face, but still unleashed powerful energies that changed the shape of Okoto. Ekimu was left comatose, but as for Makuta...a far worse fate awaited.

Now stripped of all semblance of his former self, the monstrous being stalks the sands of the Region of Stone. The only hint to his former incarnation is his obsession with Masks of Power, several of which he found intact amidst the ruins of Capital City. Guarding his collection jealously, he seeks to add to it, and will not be satisfied until his greatest creation is once again in his grasp...

As I'd stated in my previous thread, I noticed that most of the Makuta MOCs being produced for the Building Contest looked like variations on the Shadow Titan designs for Makuta of both G1 and G2 or other humanoid forms, usually with black, red, and gold being prominent colors. I wanted to get away from that for my entry, and had a thought: what if Makuta had mutated into a creature well suited to terrorize the Region of Stone? I also wanted to try producing a BIONICLE version of a creature that hadn't really been adapted into the mythos yet, and came up with a centipede. If you'll look it doesn't match the exact specifications, but hey, we're talking about a universe where bulls and tigers have a tread in place of back legs and where spiders can have four or six legs as opposed to eight. ;)

It's my first real attempt at a MOC, and I kinda just pieced together by cannibalizing various sets:

• Pohatu Mata
  • Pohatu Nuva
  • Pahrak
  • Pahrak Kal
  • Panrahk
  • Zadakh
  • Onewa Metru
  • Onewa Hordika
  • Roporak
  • Avak
  • Carapar
  • Vorox
  • Zesk? (can't remember if I actually used any of its pieces in the end)
  • Mata Nui (stole his unhelmeted Glatorian head to do blue eyes instead of red, a little nod to 2003 Teridax)

Well, here it is, hope you like it, and don't hesitate to criticize or advise. I know I've got time left in which to enter, and I can use that time to improve this thing. Also, if anybody knows how to get photos uploaded direct to BZPower, I'd love to know.

EDIT: Based on some of the feedback I received, I've tweaked the design somewhat-bulking up the body and moving some limbs around. New gallery for version 2.0 can be viewed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143590374@N03/albums/72157668994096123

Edited by Wiriamu
  • Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I like it! It's a very fresh take on the character and it's pretty nice for both a combination model and a first MOC.

One suggestion I would make would be moving the Carapar armor to the front and putting something else on the back. The yellow looks out of place back there but you've got a big of yellow up front.

Uploading photos to BZP uses gallery space, which you have very limited amounts of. A better suggestion would be to click the little picture icon below the emoticon button and pasting the url there.

Edited by Terrorsaur

For a first MOC, it's very nice - kind of looks like a big freaky earwig, and the overall design has a very clear theme to it.

I would, however, recommend beefing up the body a bit, not too much, just so that it's visibly thicker than the legs, so as to look like it could believably take the strain of operating all of those legs. A more consistent color scheme - like using the same parts for all of the legs - would be great too, but if the parts you have available don't really allow for that, then yeah, I'd suggest moving the Carapar pads up to the front legs, and maybe swapping out the back legs in general with the middle legs, so that the back and front feet are the same.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It definitely stands out from the crowd, that's for sure. :P

In my opinion, it seems just a little too "out there" to be recognizable as the Makuta we know and fear. I would have gone with a more half-beast appearance so that he doesn't get mistaken for a common Rahi... For example, something like this Pohatu/Skull Scorpio combiner I designed, which features a humanoid torso. That way, you could give him the proper regal appearance so often associated with Makuta. But as it is, it's still pretty cool and unique, and manages to use my favorite Glatorian helmet. Props for going against the grain, and good luck in the contest. :)

I like it! It's a very fresh take on the character and it's pretty nice for both a combination model and a first MOC.

One suggestion I would make would be moving the Carapar armor to the front and putting something else on the back. The yellow looks out of place back there but you've got a big of yellow up front.

Uploading photos to BZP uses gallery space, which you have very limited amounts of. A better suggestion would be to click the little picture icon below the emoticon button and pasting the url there.

I appreciate the input-I honestly wasn't going to use Carapar parts, but I couldn't think of a good way to get another set of legs on there without his waist piece.

For a first MOC, it's very nice - kind of looks like a big freaky earwig, and the overall design has a very clear theme to it.

I would, however, recommend beefing up the body a bit, not too much, just so that it's visibly thicker than the legs, so as to look like it could believably take the strain of operating all of those legs. A more consistent color scheme - like using the same parts for all of the legs - would be great too, but if the parts you have available don't really allow for that, then yeah, I'd suggest moving the Carapar pads up to the front legs, and maybe swapping out the back legs in general with the middle legs, so that the back and front feet are the same.

I did have the thought that the legs might be better placed differently-I appreciate the feedback. Using the same parts for all the legs might be a bit tricky, seeing as how I only have one of each set to work with. I did fear that the back was a bit skeletal-now I just gotta figure out how to beef it up without impairing its flexibility.

There is a spoiler tag for spoilers, which the Mods will probably edit in for you.

As for the MOC, it's pretty nice. I like the ironic usage of only G1 parts; it's a nice touch. Good luck in the contest!

So they have-I knew about it but thought I was cool just announcing spoilers. The use of G1 parts was less ironic and more practical-I haven't collected anything G2 as yet, which is one of the reasons the contest intrigued me so much.

It definitely stands out from the crowd, that's for sure. :P

In my opinion, it seems just a little too "out there" to be recognizable as the Makuta we know and fear. I would have gone with a more half-beast appearance so that he doesn't get mistaken for a common Rahi... For example, something like this Pohatu/Skull Scorpio combiner I designed, which features a humanoid torso. That way, you could give him the proper regal appearance so often associated with Makuta. But as it is, it's still pretty cool and unique, and manages to use my favorite Glatorian helmet. Props for going against the grain, and good luck in the contest. :)

Standing out was my objective, thank you, and I get where you're coming from with it not being recognizable-it's hard to reconcile the "new form" with it being Makuta. I had actually thought of using Takanuva's darkened Avohkii as his mask to get that kind of vibe, but it's hard to work it into this insectoid form I was going for.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

...So. Many. Legs. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SCARED OF CENTIPEDAL BUGS!!!!! Seriously, if you wake up from a nightmare and find a centipede trying to eat your nose(centipedes are carnivorous, and cannibalistic 0_0) then you are scarred for LIFE. Good moc, but...DID YOU HAVE TO CENTIPEDE?!?!

...So. Many. Legs. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SCARED OF CENTIPEDAL BUGS!!!!! Seriously, if you wake up from a nightmare and find a centipede trying to eat your nose(centipedes are carnivorous, and cannibalistic 0_0) then you are scarred for LIFE. Good moc, but...DID YOU HAVE TO CENTIPEDE?!?!

Embodiment of evil: achieved.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Yeah, the lack of available parts is pretty much the biggest limiting factor here, and the root of just about all of the problems I see. It's definitely more held-together than the Pollock-hued messes I put together under similar circumstances.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It's interesting, not very Makuta-ish to me but I see why you made the changes you did. T'is an okay moc.

Yeah, that's been the feedback from quite a few people. But the way I see it, Makuta's always had something of a fluid appearance-some elements do tend to crop up fairly often, but given his G2 transition from a purple and gold dwarf to a towering black giant with some red and gold elements, I don't find it much of a leap to something like this.

So, does anyone know how I can edit the post title to make it clear that the revised gallery is up?

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Not trying to double post, but I thought perhaps posting the revised gallery link down here might draw more attention. Any feedback is appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143590374@N03/sets/72157668994096123

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

So...I'm guessing no one has any feedback on version 2.0? If so then I guess that's the one I'll post for the contest.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

So...I'm guessing no one has any feedback on version 2.0? If so then I guess that's the one I'll post for the contest.

Do to your lack of pieces and not knowing what you still have, I'm not sure what advice I can offer.  That said, I think you could connect the Rahkshi feet from the bottom of the foot rather than the top, this would make the legs look more uniform.

P.S. I added a link in my signature that shows how to post the photos here, hope it helps in the future.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Do to your lack of pieces and not knowing what you still have, I'm not sure what advice I can offer.  That said, I think you could connect the Rahkshi feet from the bottom of the foot rather than the top, this would make the legs look more uniform.

P.S. I added a link in my signature that shows how to post the photos here, hope it helps in the future.

Huh, interesting tips-I'll give them a shot. As mentioned previously, I don't currently have anything Generation 2. My collection of G1 consists of the following:

2001: The Toa Mata and McDonald's Kongu

2002: The Toa Nuva, Exo-Toa, Bohrok, Boxor with Nuparu, and Bohrok Va

2003: The Bohrok-Kal, Makuta, Rahkshi, Takanuva with Ussanuii, and Kolhii Takua (I got him as a gift without Pewku)

2004: The Toa Metru, Nidhiki, the Vahki, Krekka, Dume and Nivawk, and Lhikan and Kikanalo

2005: The Toa Hordika, Keetongu, the Rahaga, Sidorak, the Visorak, Roodaka, and the Toa Hagah

2006: The Toa Inika, Axonn, the Piraka, Brutaka, Vezon and Fenrakk, and Umbra

2007: The Toa Mahri, Maxilos and Spinax, the Barraki, Hydraxon, Lesovikk and Sea Sled, Karzahni with extras, and Nocturn.

2008: The Phantoka, Icarax, the Mistika, Mutran and Vican, Toa Ignika, and Takanuva.

2009: The Glatorian, Tuma, the Glatorian Legends, Toa Mata Nui, and the Agori.

2010: The Stars.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Huh, interesting tips-I'll give them a shot. As mentioned previously, I don't currently have anything Generation 2. My collection of G1 consists of the following:

2001: The Toa Mata and McDonald's Kongu

2002: The Toa Nuva, Exo-Toa, Bohrok, Boxor with Nuparu, and Bohrok Va

2003: The Bohrok-Kal, Makuta, Rahkshi, Takanuva with Ussanuii, and Kolhii Takua (I got him as a gift without Pewku)

2004: The Toa Metru, Nidhiki, the Vahki, Krekka, Dume and Nivawk, and Lhikan and Kikanalo

2005: The Toa Hordika, Keetongu, the Rahaga, Sidorak, the Visorak, Roodaka, and the Toa Hagah

2006: The Toa Inika, Axonn, the Piraka, Brutaka, Vezon and Fenrakk, and Umbra

2007: The Toa Mahri, Maxilos and Spinax, the Barraki, Hydraxon, Lesovikk and Sea Sled, Karzahni with extras, and Nocturn.

2008: The Phantoka, Icarax, the Mistika, Mutran and Vican, Toa Ignika, and Takanuva.

2009: The Glatorian, Tuma, the Glatorian Legends, Toa Mata Nui, and the Agori.

2010: The Stars.

Okay...You have a lot of pieces to work with.  Do you not want to take the sets apart?  I believe you have a really great concept with your model but realistically the way it is it will not win due to the size and lack of pieces used in your model.  My best advice, go all out and give it the best you can.  You have the resources, so you can make this thing so much bigger and scarier.

This is a really good first MOC but it needs some work before it could win the contest.  I didn't want to say that but if you are to have a shot at winning someone needed to tell you.  

This is meant to be encouragement, so don't take it the wrong way; I really want to see you succeed.

-RAKRONDEWL

Edited by Rakrondewl

I fail to see why it needs to be a monstrosity of parts in order to win. Besides that, the whole point was to make a brown and tan MOC, and I've used the majority of those available in my collection-if you have some suggestions as to what else I could do I'd be open to it, but I think I've gone about as "all out" as I can without destroying my whole aesthetic.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

I fail to see why it needs to be a monstrosity of parts in order to win. Besides that, the whole point was to make a brown and tan MOC, and I've used the majority of those available in my collection-if you have some suggestions as to what else I could do I'd be open to it, but I think I've gone about as "all out" as I can without destroying my whole aesthetic.

It doesn't need to be a monstrosity of parts, I just feel there is more you can do with this model.  You used some orange/yellow and silver, I suggest adding more of these colors but keeping the brown and tan as the most prominent.  You could also add more silver to look like armor or switch out the feet for silver spikes.  If you feel making such changes will destroy the aesthetic, don't change it, it is still an incredible MOC with a really cool concept.

Sorry, I guess I just took your comment on the lack of parts used as some kind of insinuation that I had to pack this thing to the gills. What "silver spikes" did you have in mind, exactly?

Also, if anyone else would like to comment I'd love to hear your input.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Sorry, I guess I just took your comment on the lack of parts used as some kind of insinuation that I had to pack this thing to the gills. What "silver spikes" did you have in mind, exactly?

Also, if anyone else would like to comment I'd love to hear your input.

That was most likely my fault, I probably could have worded that better, so I apologize.  I was thinking of these silver spikes for the feet, but you have many options.

44813.gif?0

Hm, I'd honestly rather not utilize those tired old things-they were great for functionality, but Bionicle G1 did them to death.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143590374@N03/28983835656/in/dateposted-public/

Tried the Rahkshi foot thing you recommended-what do you think?

Edited by Wiriamu

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Makes sense; if you would like to change them there are plenty of substitutes, I just thought doing so may bring a little more of the silver color to balance out the model visually.  The colors are very well distributed in your model, but I personally feel that adding some silver to the legs could add more color balance.  

I think that defiantly fixes the uniformity issue and looks much better.

I think you enter your model in the contest, more people would be able to give you advice and this contest doesn't have an entry limit per person (this means you can fix anything and resubmit it with the changes).  

Well, version 2.1 (with the modified Rahkshi foot legs) is now up on the contest site:

http://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={00A66255-0F67-490B-97E3-3FCD9CF12314}&a_id=abd00fe5-eea3-4c94-9628-c032f3ea98a9&sortEntry=false

Had a few comments but no real feedback, apart from one guy noting that "it's not Makuta." Which, given that the idea of the contest as I understand it is to depict a "new" form of the main Bionicle villain, means I'm on the right track.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Liked it. ;)

Getting good feedback doesn't always come right away.

The description is not really clear on what they are looking for, only saying "make the evilest guy you can", which is very broad.  That said, I believe you can make him however you like, thus your on the right track.

So... I get the impression that the sheer volume of entries to the contest isn't all that conducive to commentary on Rebrick itself. Not sure if I should just create a final version off the feedback I've gotten here or stick with the version I've already got up.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

...it's not looking too good for me guys. Granted, a lot of the newer entries are just variations on the old Shadow Titan concept, but they're pretty good. I honestly am at a loss as to how to even compete.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, it's all over for now. Thanks to everyone for your input and support.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs