Makuta Instructions Hosted Online

The giant Makuta as seen in the Makuta Building Challenge and at BrickFair this weekend now has instructions. Using parts from numerous Gen 2 sets like Onua Master and Umarak the Destroyer, Makuta was assembled by several LEGO Designers, some off whom are BZPower members. Check out the instructions on Flickr, and then get building from your own collection!

View the full article

Does anyone have a list of the exact sets used?  Also, is that the Mask of Ultimate Power?

1. Uniter Tahu, Uniter Onua, Umarak the Destroyer, Umarak the Hunter, Ikir, Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder, Lord of Skull Spiders. It seems to use one more ball joint than the component sets have.

2. Yes. Yes it is.

• Upvote 1

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

Wish we had actual instructions instead of just pictures of what the completed parts looked like. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to detail, so I don't like having to build something based on eyeballing it.

Also, I so hope we get a polybag with the MoUP Stateside.

Edited by Boxorak the Azure Noob
  • Upvote 1

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

The build is really neat, all things considered. Really don't like the wheel chest piece but the construction is solid.

I tend to agree. Has a few bits that I'm not crazy about (chest wheel, awkward staff), but it's a really impressive build all things considered.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I have to admit, it still frustrates me when people use names like "Onua Master" or "Tahu Uniter". It doesn't even sound sensible, let alone have any official basis. It'd be like calling Ninjago characters "Jay Ninja", "Chopov Skeleton", or "Karlof Master".

In truth, the Toa Nuva are the ONLY Toa team who ever officially had their team name or title appended to their names as a suffix — even in G1. People just assumed that every subsequent Toa's name should follow that pattern, so if a Toa Nuva set named Tahu is called Tahu Nuva, then a Toa Metru set named Vakama should be Vakama Metru, a Toa Mahri set named Kongu should be Kongu Mahri, and a Stars set named Takanuva should be Takanuva Stars. As you can see, it sounds downright ridiculous when you start doing that with real words.

But I digress. It's fantastic that we have instructions to build Makuta, even though they're not broken down step-by-step like typical LEGO instructions. A lot of people fail to realize how difficult it is to make building instructions as clear and legible as the ones we get in sets!

I dunno what it is about the build, but nothing about this thing really screams 'Makuta' to me.

It kind of feels like someone at Lego just cobbled together an overcomplicated combiner as a consolation prize for the theme being cancelled and us never being able to get an official Makuta set. 

But that's just my opinion. I'm not going to argue with those who disagree. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I have to admit, it still frustrates me when people use names like "Onua Master" or "Tahu Uniter". It doesn't even sound sensible, let alone have any official basis. It'd be like calling Ninjago characters "Jay Ninja", "Chopov Skeleton", or "Karlof Master".

In truth, the Toa Nuva are the ONLY Toa team who ever officially had their team name or title appended to their names as a suffix — even in G1. People just assumed that every subsequent Toa's name should follow that pattern, so if a Toa Nuva set named Tahu is called Tahu Nuva, then a Toa Metru set named Vakama should be Vakama Metru, a Toa Mahri set named Kongu should be Kongu Mahri, and a Stars set named Takanuva should be Takanuva Stars. As you can see, it sounds downright ridiculous when you start doing that with real words.

But I digress. It's fantastic that we have instructions to build Makuta, even though they're not broken down step-by-step like typical LEGO instructions. A lot of people fail to realize how difficult it is to make building instructions as clear and legible as the ones we get in sets!

I must admit, I actually do that. It's a simple way to distinguish the different forms of the characters. The Ninjago dudes you mentioned aren't called that 'cause they don't have different "forms", aside from Jay, but those are really just new outfits.

Not really instructions, but this will suffice. Especially since some other Bionicle fans have already posted "how-to-build" videos and better in-depth instructions. But a big thank you to the designers for bringing Makuta to the event and letting us get a better look at his (awesome) build. That is one fantastic, complex piece of CCBS work and I am prepping to build it as well. I just bought a second LoSS and hopefully I can get the rest of the sets needed for building Makuta soon before they are off the shelves.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The only place I could find Uniter Tahu was Barnes & Noble, in case anyone is having similar difficulty finding that set.

Thanks for the heads up, he has been absent from every store I have searched.  I would have stopped and looked today but I got a cold.

No problem.

I believe I finally got my Makuta right (besides the staff-top ball, which is on its way), after several reexaminations of the images provided.  There are several part choices, as well as placements, that are just barely shown, but I believe I found them all.  I made a couple assumptions as well as a couple alterations to my figure, though.  I used 4m axles with a stop on the end to attach the black bohrok eyes to his feet, so they wouldn't come off, because I thought they'd fallen off at one point.  I also added an extra bush to the other end of the axle connector inside the drill head, so it wouldn't try to slide up the axle it's on.