Stories that could take place in the same universe as Bionicle?

Alyska

Which fictional story/stories do you think could theoretically take place in the same universe as Bionicle? (G1 or G2)

Note that this is not asking so much about the practicality of making a crossover episode/story from the authors'/creators' point of view, nor about similarity of the plot or style, but rather which fictional universes have rules or lore that seem consistent with how things work in Bionicle, so that the two stories could theoretically take place in different parts of the same reality.

I was watching Steven Universe recently, and started to think that a species like the Gems could very easily exist somewhere in the G1 cosmos (not inside the MU, but perhaps elsewhere.) After all, in Bionicle, rocks seem to be the go-to item for storing immense amounts of power (Toa Stones, Nui Stone, etc), Mutran proved that they can be given sentience, and there is certainly a precedent for beings whose consciousness is contained in a small item but have the ability to create physical bodies for themselves (Ignika, Mata Nui) as well as for creating solid constructs out of light (Solek's power).

(I also started thinking that, given that the Gems appear to be purpose-built inorganic lifeforms that require technology to reproduce, it's clear that this is not a species that came into existence by accident- they must have been created artificially by another species... a species suspiciously similar to the Great Beings, perhaps? But that's probably taking things a bit too far...)

And yes, it sounds cracky, as I expect a lot of posts in this topic will, but, hey, just remember that most Tarantino films canonically take place in the same continuity as Spy Kids. Nothing is impossible in the world of fiction.

Which other existing stories do you think could have happened within the Bionicle universe?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Can they be Non-LEGO Themes? As terms of G1 I think it is in the Far Future when much of the Observable Universe has faded away. So probably long past Earths Due. However, if we are talking Rise of the Great Beings level of beginning in-lore, I'd think it be sometime in the 2100’s.... So... Star Wars? Star Trek?

I do think that Dune could exist sometime during the Reign of the Element Lords or during the time of the Original 8 years of BIONICLE.

Of course during this time something else fictional like the game Stellaris, the events of that Game would have come and gone and BIONICLE would still be going. Considering that the main story lasted for roughly 100,000 years. Or was it 10,000? Either way thats still a Really long time. I'm going with 10,000 years though. If so that would go from lets say 2080 - 12400.... Yeah... I think ALOT would happened between that time. So something like UNDERTALE would have happened decades prior to the earliest time period listed.

In terms of G2 I think we are dealing with the same thing, even farther in the Future from G1 I'd think, but by how much I can't say easily.

I'd think Hero Factory would have happened between 2040 - 2100. So I think that Hero Factory could have been in the same universe as the earliest times of BIONICLE, but not for very long.

Any event conserning the Earth really wouldn't matter in my eyes. It wouldn't have any effect on BIONICLE given that the Great Beings are already their own thing. UNLESS by the time they arose Humanity had actually Colonized the Stars, and Spherus Magna was but one settlement of perhaps Biologically Adapted beings known as the Great Beings... Hmm... Unlikely, but an interesting concept to think about.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I'm not a part of the fandom or really familiar with it at all but I know a lot of fans of Bionicle are also fans of Transformers so the whole Cyberton aspect of it could mesh nicely with Bionicle.

Other than that? Really Bionicle takes place on a small number of worlds and no one knows what's happening out there. My head canon would be that Slizers and Robo Riders (but not Hero Factory because it sucks and doesn't fit and believe me I gave it a chance I wanted it to be the next Bionicle) exist in the Bionicle Universe on other planets as sort of "foot prints" of the Great Beings as they were traveling throughout the universe and leaving their marks on worlds.

But if you mean staying close to what we already know of Bionicle then I guess I can't say I really know. It's so unique that it's no wonder the fan community has been this loyal to it and stuck around for this long, and it's why I think it deserves to keep coming back because it was a work of fiction that did things no others did and still has so many more opportunities for brilliance based on what it is.

• Upvote 2

Well, conceivably, anything, really—the MU being a self-contained system, one only really has to worry about making sure Spherus Magna and that whole saga could fit in with rules consistent with another fictional universe, and with any sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic ... one could even argue that all of human history exists on an Earth somewhere within the galaxy of the original Bionicle.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Mass Effect? Maybe after G1 concluded, Matoran and Agori civilisation flourished. With the help of the few surviving great beings, their technological advancement skyrocketed, and they built their own interstellar ships. Eventually they would discover a mass relay in the Solid Magna system, travel to the Citadel and create a vast intergalactic society, only to be culled by the Reapers.

To make things deeper, maybe the real purpose of the GSR was to collect the information needed to build the crucible. Think about it - in ME3, it is established that the Crucible is a device the design of which is the cumulative results of untold billions of years of research, with each interstellar civilisation adding a bit of their own knowledge to it before being culled. What if the Great Beings realised this, but saw that the Crucible in their cycle was far too underdeveloped to be completed with their own tech, so they created the GSR to travel the stars and collect enough information and data based on which the Crucible could be completed. Had Makuta not sabotaged Mata Nui, maybe the Reaper cycle could have been broken far sooner.

Surviving a Reaper culling isn't impossible. Vigil on Ilos and later Javik proved this. Maybe the insane Great Being encountered by Lewa on Bota Magna was driven to insanity by witnessing and surviving the obliteration of his entire civilisation. Maybe the destroyed prototype on Bara Magna was functional at one point, and used to fight the Reapers, but was blown to bits by a Sovereign-class Reaper or something.

Potential cross-over: as the Reapers arrive, a new GSR is built with many Agori and Matoran, Toa, Glatorian, Skakdi, Vortixx etc etc etc loaded onto it and sent to the Andromeda Galaxy. The Reapers only ever cull the Milky Way, so there the Agori and Matoran could rebuild. Eventually, the SSV Tempest (as seen in the Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer) comes across their newly built civilisation in Andromeda, and the new protagonist (Rider, I think he/she is called?) gains a Toa squad member.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Bionicle meets Halo perhaps? The actions of the Great Beings are suspiciously similar to the Forerunners in Halo.

The Forerunners built ridiculously huge things, Halo rings the diameter of the moon, Dyson Spheres as large as planets, 'The Ark' a flower petals like structure capable of surrounding a planet completely in its middle ring space. All of these builds notably had continents and landmasses which mimicked real worlds. The systems of these worlds where entirely maintained by robots! By those standards of construction the Great Spirit Robot would actually be a SMALL project. The inclusion of landmasses and robot workers within the GSR is also another Forerunner trademark.

• Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I would go with Hero Factory sharing the same universe as Bionicle because they are both constraction. I would love to imagine that if Hero Factory returns in 2017, Lego would later on think about something like a crossover or something similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe or the DC Extended Universe by having both themes crossover that way after 2017. I would imagine something like "Hero Factory v Bionicle: Dawn of Constraction Justice" (inspired by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but with a story as good as Captain America Civil War's), "Bionicle vs. or Hero Factory", or "Bionicle and Hero Factory" where Hero Factory's Heroes encounter Toa on either Earth or Spherus Magna and engage in combat with them when something or somebody causes them to do so. The Toa would learn that Hero Factory's creator, Makuro, and perhaps his technology are created by the Great Beings from G1. This would be logical because after the Great Beings left Spherus Magna when it was destroyed, they find a place for them live in temporary. They created the Hero Factory stuff because they noticed that there is evil in space and other worlds, so they thought that Hero Factory would help get rid of the evil. They first built Makuro and had him build the Hero Factory before they left to go to another planet, before they could come back to the restored Spherus Magna.:)

Star Wars (traveling to many planets), Transformers (both have robots that live in alien planets), or Ninjago (Bionicle could be one of the 16 worlds) would work that way, too. One of my acquaintances told me that it would be awesome to see a live-action "Bionicle vs. Transformers" movie.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Hmmm... Well, the current version of my personal head-canon mostly consists of a collision-course between the Bionicle and Hero Factory sectors of space, with the Slizers/Throwbots acting as the original Glatorian (Spherus Magna's primary form of entertainment preceeding the Core War, which then influenced the creation of the system used to resolve conflicts between tribes after The Shattering) and the Roboriders thrown into the mix in order to complete the Technic/Constraction bridge. Considering that the sets from the latter line could be redesigned to freely switch between their standard vehicle form and that of a robot, and that the storyline for those sets was essentially located within a microverse inside the internet, I not only agree with the notion that Transformers could potentially co-exist with (or, at the very least, be incorporated into) those IPs, but also propose that the universe of Tron could do so as well.

Bionicle G2.

I'm just going to chalk G2 up to being G1's version of The Matrix, a simulation designed by the OoMN to assist in the training of the Toa Mata, simply because there's way too many discrepancies between the two to properly mesh them together.

• Upvote 3

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• 5 weeks later...

Really, since the Bionicle worlds are so disconnected from the likes of Earth, I like to think Bionicle could take place in literally any universe and it would still work.

In any universe I've ever created (fanfic or original), I say a version of Spherus Magna exists in all of them (whether it's the main one, The Melding version, Toa Empire, etc), whether or not it has any bearing on the story whatsoever (which it usually doesn't).

I'm not a part of the fandom or really familiar with it at all but I know a lot of fans of Bionicle are also fans of Transformers so the whole Cyberton aspect of it could mesh nicely with Bionicle.

Other than that? Really Bionicle takes place on a small number of worlds and no one knows what's happening out there. My head canon would be that Slizers and Robo Riders (but not Hero Factory because it sucks and doesn't fit and believe me I gave it a chance I wanted it to be the next Bionicle) exist in the Bionicle Universe on other planets as sort of "foot prints" of the Great Beings as they were traveling throughout the universe and leaving their marks on worlds.

But if you mean staying close to what we already know of Bionicle then I guess I can't say I really know. It's so unique that it's no wonder the fan community has been this loyal to it and stuck around for this long, and it's why I think it deserves to keep coming back because it was a work of fiction that did things no others did and still has so many more opportunities for brilliance based on what it is.

I've seen a headcanon that the Mata Nui robot is somehow connected to Primus and/or Unicron.  Maybe the Great Beings are familiar with Cybertronian legends and got inspired.  I like it.  And I've always shared your Throwbots/Roboriders headcanon.

Bionicle meets Halo perhaps? The actions of the Great Beings are suspiciously similar to the Forerunners in Halo.

The Forerunners built ridiculously huge things, Halo rings the diameter of the moon, Dyson Spheres as large as planets, 'The Ark' a flower petals like structure capable of surrounding a planet completely in its middle ring space. All of these builds notably had continents and landmasses which mimicked real worlds. The systems of these worlds where entirely maintained by robots! By those standards of construction the Great Spirit Robot would actually be a SMALL project. The inclusion of landmasses and robot workers within the GSR is also another Forerunner trademark.

I've also seen this headcanon, saying that the Forerunners and Great Beings are one and the same.  Some versions say they're also related to (if not the same as) the Xel'naga from StarCraft.  Maybe one is an offshoot of the other(s), or maybe they're just three different names for the same group.

So let's try and put these together just for fun.  The Xel'naga/Forerunners/Great Beings (however they may be related) created the Matoran with inspiration from the Agori, Glatorian, Throwbots/Slizers, and Roboriders.  The Mata Nui robot is inspired by the Cybertronian legends of Primus and Unicron, being a robot that houses an entire world (just like how Primus is Cybertron in most versions).  All that results in Bionicle.

I've also seen a headcanon that Nuparu created the Hero Factory as a sort of continuation of the dying Matoran/Toa species, and I accept that because I'm weird like that.

And another one that G2's world is the Great Beings' second attempt to do their thing, and that their Toa have the same names as the G1 Toa Mata because they're just really unoriginal.

So that potentially puts StarCraft, Halo, Transformers, Throwbots, Roboriders, and Hero Factory in the same universe as both Bionicles.

• Upvote 3

While reading the first post, I couldn't fathom such a universe that shared enough similarities with BIONICLE for them to potentially coexist.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the creative theories presented here.

My favorite is no doubt Halo. Giant structures that house ecosystems and geosystems, how did I miss this similarity!

Side note, while Halo and StarCraft share many similarities (super cool power armor, advanced laser wielding aliens, swarmlike aliens that assimilate other species into their ranks. ancient aliens that are regarded as gods by the species they help to develop, with a surviving member serving as antagonist), I must say the theory that the Xel'naga and Forerunners are one and the same is implausible, as while the two are very similar, they are far from interchangeable.

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooooh! I absolutely love the idea of Halo coexisting with Bionicle! And, seeing as Transformers are somewhat alive, even having metal simply flexing instead of being made of multiple parts for the sake of movement, it'd be neat to think of the Transformers as being made of some form of protodermis in another section of the universe. Furthermore, if one considers the Quintessons, it's not improbable that they would come across some form of protodermis in their voyages throughout the universe. As shown in G1 of Transformers, there are actually several sentient species, and they interact quite often. Perhaps some Great Beings were involved? Ah well, those are my two cents.

db76a003-790e-461b-a18a-fa88a856ee11_zps

Check out my reinforced double ball cup!

Furthermore, if one considers the Quintessons, it's not improbable that they would come across some form of protodermis in their voyages throughout the universe. As shown in G1 of Transformers, there are actually several sentient species, and they interact quite often. Perhaps some Great Beings were involved? Ah well, those are my two cents.

Assuming you're going by the G1 Transformers cartoon from the '80s (in which it clearly shows that the Quintessons created the Cybertronian race), let's also say the Quintessons and Great Forerunner Beings (who may or may not be related to the Xel'naga) knew of each other to some capacity.  But yeah, let's say the Quintessons got a bit of a helping hand from the possibly-Xel'naga-related Great Forerunner Beings, who might have supplied them with some protodermis.

Actually, the Quintessons' first attempts to create life were called "Trans-Organics".  That is, beings that were partially mechanical and partially organic.  That sounds a little familiar...

Perhaps the maybe/maybe-not-Xel'naga Great Forerunner Beings took the idea of "Trans-Organics" from their good buddies, the Quintessons, and decided to improve on it (since the Quintessons' Trans-Organics were failures and basically big dumb destructive monsters), resulting in the biomechanical races we all know and love.  Maybe the original Trans-Organics themselves inspired some of the more dangerous Rahi species.

We are onto something here, guys.  I really think we could make a coherent crossover world from this.  What else could fit here?

We got:

• G1 Bionicle: Given.
  • G2 Bionicle: The result of some really unoriginal Great Beings trying to satisfy their addiction to creating stuff after the great success that was the Matoran Universe.
  • Throwbots/Slizers: In-universe inspiration for Bionicle races,
  • Roboriders: In-universe inspiration for Bionicle races.
  • Hero Factory: Successors to G1 Bionicle both in and out-of-universe.
  • Transformers: Inspiration for Mata Nui Robot and biomechanical beings.  On the other hand, Transformers may be at least partially made of protodermis as Cap'n Puma said.  GBs and Quintessons might know of each other.
  • Halo: Assume GBs and Forerunners are the same, or at least closely related.
  • Starcraft (maybe): The Xel'naga may or may not be related to the Great Forerunner Beings, since Toa Doublebee says that they're not interchangeable.
  • Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden shared universe: Not related to Bionicle at all, but I'll throw those this in anyway by way of Halo.  DOA4 had a Spartan-II as a playable character, AND Halo has a "Hayabusa" armor that's clearly modeled after Ryu's ninja suit, so yeah.
Edited by Shinken Green

With the mention Nuparu was involved in the creation of Hero Factory that reminds me of my own headcannon there, that after thousands of years of peace on Spehrus Magna the Matoran/Agori eventually developed spaceflight and contacted the rest of the Universe. While I don't think Nuparu was the originator of the idea of the Hero Factory group, I think his experience with the Vahki gave him the ability to be hired onto Hero Factory briefly as a technical adviser. I imagine he transferred some of his Toa skills and mentality into the final programming of the Hero robots. It would explain why Hero Factory robots mimic the team/elemental base of a Toa team, if one imagines that was the inspiration for the project. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

With the mention Nuparu was involved in the creation of Hero Factory that reminds me of my own headcannon there, that after thousands of years of peace on Spehrus Magna the Matoran/Agori eventually developed spaceflight and contacted the rest of the Universe. While I don't think Nuparu was the originator of the idea of the Hero Factory group, I think his experience with the Vahki gave him the ability to be hired onto Hero Factory briefly as a technical adviser. I imagine he transferred some of his Toa skills and mentality into the final programming of the Hero robots. It would explain why Hero Factory robots mimic the team/elemental base of a Toa team, if one imagines that was the inspiration for the project. 

I was thinking of this too, since the Heroes have English names and all.  Plus, I really do like the idea of Bionicle races exploring space.  Maybe they landed on Earth.

Whatever it may be, it still sticks in my head that the Hero Factory was built by Bionicle people, and Nuparu was at the very least one of the top dogs in its creation.  In my head, he was already a Turaga when it happened, because I like the image of a wise old Turaga overseeing a factory like this.