Best Bionicle Combiner Model - Of 2001

Ghidora131

Best Bionicle Combo Model - Of 2001  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think 2001 was the best year for combiners; almost all of them felt greater than the sum of their parts (in my opinion this is one of the signs of a good combiner). They all looked fantastic, even with seemingly clashing colour schemes, but still managed to look good. Many of them retained technic functions, something later combiners were unable to do. 

My vote has to go to the Kuma Nui; the Toa/Turaga/Matoran combiners were cool but the Rahi combiners were just on a completely different level. The Kuma Nui was a significant improvement over the Muaka/Kane-Ra and felt much more stable and solid, while still maintaining that incredible biting function. Plus it was gigantic. I purposely bought a second Muaka/Kane-Ra just for the sole purpose of having a permanent Kuma Nui.

Edited by MrRaves

I went for Kuma-Nui as well. That thing is so imposing.

Speaking of, how big is that thing exactly? I'm wondering if it's worth my time to combine my Muaka and Kane-Ra.

Do it!! It's so worth it. It's a tad taller than the Muaka/Kane-Ra but much, much broader.

Definately the Mana Ko. That thing was AWESOME! Remote Controlled AND Looking Awesome to boot? YES! It's Arms moved And so to did it's Treads! Simuetainously!

In Second place I'd put Tarakava Nui. The thing is like Three Feet tall! And thats not an exaggeration either.

In Third place I'd put the Kahu. It's a Big Ol' Bird, what else would you want? Besides an Automatic or Levered wing flaping function not being present, it's still pretty good.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Definately the Mana Ko. That thing was AWESOME! Remote Controlled AND Looking Awesome to boot? YES! It's Arms moved And so to did it's Treads! Simuetainously!

It was impossible to keeps its head in position when it started moving. It was only incredibly frustration when it wasn't.

Toa Kaita. I feel they managed functionality the best.

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

My avatar says it all, really.  Lewa was my first Toa set, and I have a lot of nostalgia for Wairuha.  But I liked most of the Rahi alternate models, too.  Mata Nui Cow looks neat, but it's a bit of a pain to assemble, since it uses a Mata head without an eyestalk in it.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

It was impossible to keeps its head in position when it started moving. It was only incredibly frustration when it wasn't.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

The head moved around a lot because of a loose connection. So when you attacked with the arms or moved it around it looked completely insane.

The head moved around a lot because of a loose connection. So when you attacked with the arms or moved it around it looked completely insane.

I didn't mind it really. It just added to the madness before my eyes.

pure_muscle.png

Man, 2001 had such fantastic combiners. The Rahi all looked like actual alternative sets rather than gross amalgamations of several others, and the Toa and Turaga Kaita were extremely cohesive and well built. However, I'm going to have to give this one to the Matoran Nui - that thing looks incredible for what it is. How they managed to make it look so cool with a limited palette of parts at their disposal is beyond me. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

No Fikou? Didn't it require Onua + Pohatu for all the extra ball joints/endcaps?

Clearly the best combiner of all.

Edited by Iruini Nuva
  • Upvote 1

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

I'm pretty partial to the Toa Kaita

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

No Fikou? Didn't it require Onua + Pohatu for all the extra ball joints/endcaps?

Clearly the best combiner of all.

I didn't count the Fikou because it is a black variant of an already existing set.

Technically, I believe the black variant came out first (Lego magazine in 01, similar timeframe to the Mukau). Though the orange Fikou (both polybag and MB set) landed in 02.

I do see the logic to not including a combiner that has a production counterpart, however.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6