Save Bionicle On Lego Cuusoo!

cpainter307

I don't want to sound like some kind of desperate fanatic, but there may be a way to help gain attention for bringing back BIONICLE! In case you didn't know, LEGO CUUSOO is a website devoted to the sharing of new LEGO ideas, and it was also the perfect way to raise attention. A member set up an idea called Bring Back BIONICLE, which does what the title implies. With 10,000 votes, this will send a sure message to LEGO, no matter what. So please, take the time to vote, just in case something goes right.http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/880 link to the page.

Edited by cpainter307

I'd love a posthumous tribute to BIONICLE, such as an art book with lots of concept art and tidbits on the planning and creation of the BIONICLE story, sets, and media. But that's not what that Cuusoo proposal is about. It's about bringing back an entire theme that, in general, stopped being successful enough to keep around over a year ago, and which TLG was thoughtful enough to give a meaningful conclusion rather than leaving completely open-ended. I enjoyed BIONICLE from beginning to end, but don't see the point of this type of proposal.

Honestly, I have raise a few questions. There appear to be plenty of people wanting Bionicle to return, but how many of them will actually buy the sets?I see many people in this Cuusoo entry talking about how they thought the early years of Bionicle were good. What if It doesn't live up to their expectations? Would they still support the line? It seems that catering to this group is too difficult to be worth it.I also see plenty of people saying that the media (storyline, etc) was superior to Hero Factory's. I won't argue about this point, I agree Bionicle had many advantages here, but if your primary interest is in the plot, would you still support the core of the franchise: the sets? Lego isn't trying to sell you a story, they're selling toys. If you don't want to support that, then there is no point in creating an elaborate backstory for the line.In short, bringing Bionicle back is a step backwards, and it wouldn't even benefit Lego.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Honestly, I have raise a few questions. There appear to be plenty of people wanting Bionicle to return, but how many of them will actually buy the sets?I see many people in this Cuusoo entry talking about how they thought the early years of Bionicle were good. What if It doesn't live up to their expectations? Would they still support the line? It seems that catering to this group is too difficult to be worth it.I also see plenty of people saying that the media (storyline, etc) was superior to Hero Factory's. I won't argue about this point, I agree Bionicle had many advantages here, but if your primary interest is in the plot, would you still support the core of the franchise: the sets? Lego isn't trying to sell you a story, they're selling toys. If you don't want to support that, then there is no point in creating an elaborate backstory for the line.In short, bringing Bionicle back is a step backwards, and it wouldn't even benefit Lego.

I see what you're saying, but I believe LEGO would know what to do if they brought back BIONICLE. It's not like they don't listen at all, they must at some point. They know the STARS didn't get the warmest welcome, and I'm sure they would get some input from fans. As for the whole not buying it thing, then what would be the point of their supporting it in the first place? Surely they won't be that picky. And for the story aspect, you do have a good point. LEGO is selling toys, not stories (unless you count the books/movies, but those were big ads in some ways). But the story was part of the whole appeal to BIONICLE, without it they were just action figures. Sure LEGO was all about making your onw creations and building, but there was plenty of room to build your own stories around the characters. I still believe BIONICLE would be as big of an asset as it used to be if it returned.

I was personally saddened by the ending of BIONICLE, but now I have time to complete my collection, and the story is still going anyway, so I'm fine for the moment.And by the way, I think LEGO Minecraft was winning, last I heard.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I was personally saddened by the ending of BIONICLE, but now I have time to complete my collection, and the story is still going anyway, so I'm fine for the moment.And by the way, I think LEGO Minecraft was winning, last I heard.

Well, it's not about winning, per say. Minecraft just reached the amount of votes necessary for the LEGO review.

I see what you're saying, but I believe LEGO would know what to do if they brought back BIONICLE. It's not like they don't listen at all, they must at some point. They know the STARS didn't get the warmest welcome, and I'm sure they would get some input from fans.

Of course Lego knows what they're doing. That's why they canceled the line when they did. They knew continuing any further wasn't a smart idea. And fan input is not always a good idea either. Fans are too inconsistent in their desires to help create a new franchise with appeal broad enough to be successful.

As for the whole not buying it thing, then what would be the point of their supporting it in the first place? Surely they won't be that picky.

I'm sure many of the supporters have a genuine interest in buying, but that cannot confirm that people will follow through and actually purchase sets. This is true for any petition, and the few 1000 people who have signed in the past two months isn't enough to convince anyone. Even a full 10000 votes (which will take a very long time at this rate) isn't enough people to sustain a full toy line. Maybe it's enough to convince Lego to sell one set (Like the average Cuusoo entry), but a whole theme? Not a chance.

And for the story aspect, you do have a good point. LEGO is selling toys, not stories (unless you count the books/movies, but those were big ads in some ways). But the story was part of the whole appeal to BIONICLE, without it they were just action figures. Sure LEGO was all about making your onw creations and building, but there was plenty of room to build your own stories around the characters.

I understand the story's appeal, and that was certainly one of the reasons I became a fan, but again, it seems that there are many fans who care more for the story than the sets. That's perfectly fine, but I can't see why Lego would cater to them.Also, it appears Lego has decided to shift their media direction since Bionicle. Lines like Knights Kingdom and Exo-Force took similar directions to Bionicle, but both failed to remain successful after three years, leaving open-ended backstories and disappointing endings (If you could even say Exo-Force had an ending). Bionicle eventually hit the same problem, profits were declining and Lego had to rush it up. Newer themes such as Ninjago and Hero Factory have taken a new, episodic approach. This is a much safer move, as they can cancel the toy line whenever they need to and not worry about affecting the media. It would appear that if Lego continues with this direction, there would be little chance that something like Bionicle in terms of story could be released.

I still believe BIONICLE would be as big of an asset as it used to be if it returned.

Lego has rebooted Bionicle many times (2004, 2006, 2009) and eventually failed. I doubt a return to Bionicle would be as big as it was in the past, especially if Lego bends to the fans' desires. It takes a full reboot to regenerate interest, and that's exactly what they already did with Hero Factory. I can't imagine a true Bionicle reboot would generate a line as successful as its predecessor, especially if it happened as soon as fans want it. Edited by Wolven

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

I see what you're saying, but I believe LEGO would know what to do if they brought back BIONICLE. It's not like they don't listen at all, they must at some point. They know the STARS didn't get the warmest welcome, and I'm sure they would get some input from fans.

Of course Lego knows what they're doing. That's why they canceled the line when they did. They knew continuing any further wasn't a smart idea. And fan input is not always a good idea either. Fans are too inconsistent in their desires to help create a new franchise with appeal broad enough to be successful.

As for the whole not buying it thing, then what would be the point of their supporting it in the first place? Surely they won't be that picky.

I'm sure many of the supporters have a genuine interest in buying, but that cannot confirm that people will follow through and actually purchase sets. This is true for any petition, and the few 1000 people who have signed in the past two months isn't enough to convince anyone. Even a full 10000 votes (which will take a very long time at this rate) isn't enough people to sustain a full toy line. Maybe it's enough to convince Lego to sell one set (Like the average Cuusoo entry), but a whole theme? Not a chance.

And for the story aspect, you do have a good point. LEGO is selling toys, not stories (unless you count the books/movies, but those were big ads in some ways). But the story was part of the whole appeal to BIONICLE, without it they were just action figures. Sure LEGO was all about making your onw creations and building, but there was plenty of room to build your own stories around the characters.

I understand the story's appeal, and that was certainly one of the reasons I became a fan, but again, it seems that there are many fans who care more for the story than the sets. That's perfectly fine, but I can't see why Lego would cater to them.Also, it appears Lego has decided to shift their media direction since Bionicle. Lines like Knights Kingdom and Exo-Force took similar directions to Bionicle, but both failed to remain successful after three years, leaving open-ended backstories and disappointing endings (If you could even say Exo-Force had an ending). Bionicle eventually hit the same problem, profits were declining and Lego had to rush it up. Newer themes such as Ninjago and Hero Factory have taken a new, episodic approach. This is a much safer move, as they can cancel the toy line whenever they need to and not worry about affecting the media. It would appear that if Lego continues with this direction, there would be little chance that something like Bionicle in terms of story could be released.

I still believe BIONICLE would be as big of an asset as it used to be if it returned.

Lego has rebooted Bionicle many times (2004, 2006, 2009) and eventually failed. I doubt a return to Bionicle would be as big as it was in the past, especially if Lego bends to the fans' desires. It takes a full reboot to regenerate interest, and that's exactly what they already did with Hero Factory. I can't imagine a true Bionicle reboot would generate a line as successful as its predecessor, especially if it happened as soon as fans want it.
I do indeed see what you're saying (If Exo-Force even has an ending. Tee-hee). I can't debate any of the points you made, and I'm not against Hero Factory at all (not saying you said I was), it's really cool. There's just something about the brand being BIONICLE... You have to admit, as a theme it was hugely successful, it lasted ten years. I still feel that spark could be re-ignited somehow. If not soon then in the future for a new generation.

Lego doesn't even know this website exists. If they did, I doubt it'd make much of a difference, though. From what I can tell, Hero Factory's been doing way better than Bionicle did for most of its span.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Lego doesn't even know this website exists. If they did, I doubt it'd make much of a difference, though. From what I can tell, Hero Factory's been doing way better than Bionicle did for most of its span.

Ummm...look at the website's URL.That's lego.cuusoo.com, an official LEGO website they created for fans to propose future products. So yeah, they know it exists.Your point about Hero Factory mostly stands, though. It is nowhere near the phenomenon BIONICLE was in 2001-2002, but it was introduced because it could sell better than BIONICLE was doing towards the end of its lifespan, and from all appearances it met that expectation. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Lego has only done this with Knights Kingdom. They did not pick up where they left off storywise. It was totally new. The Bionicle equivilant is HF.

Knights Kingdom was nowhere near the same thing; It was a completely different theme using a name LEGO happened to already have used. You can compare that to Exo-Force; Exo-Force was originally used as the name of one of the Drome racing teams in early LEGO Racers sets. By using a name they had used before, they didn't need to worry about getting the name cleared through their legal department.If BIONICLE was brought back, I'm sure LEGO would recognize that its story was the main thing that made it BIONICLE, so there's no need to fear them releasing something new called BIONICLE that's completely different. But I see no reason why LEGO would ever bring back BIONICLE when it would be easier and bring them more success to come up with something new.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I consider it to be an abuse of the Cuusoo system. For one thing, Cuusoo is for original ideas, not canceled lines. Two, Cuusoo is for individual ideas, or at least was intended for that purpose. Again, not for canceled set lines.Even if this magically makes it to LEGO's review table, I don't see it passing on from there. It's too early on. BIONICLE could only possibly return years after Hero Factory has run its course, and not before.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Not a fan of the idea of this being hosted there. It's an improper use of the site. On a side note, the creator of this movement on that site was banned from THIS site. His same user name is shown. Dunno if that's allowed or not.sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Not a fan of the idea of this being hosted there. It's an improper use of the site.

Excuse me?I thought the point of the site was to submit ideas?
His point is that bringing back BIONICLE is far to general and repetitive a goal for LEGO to work with and for Cuusoo to be involved in. As Sumiki said, Cuusoo is really for original, individual ideas. In Eljay's, Sumiki's, and my opinions, Cuusoo should not be used to try to resurrect a line that was canceled very recently.As for my own thoughts . . . . If people really want to try to bring back anything, even BIONICLE, I suppose that I don't see why not. However, I have a feeling that LEGO would know what it's doing only in the very large, business-oriented manner. Just because a couple thousand fans of a line want something (and often something that's not in LEGO's current general direction), LEGO isn't going to stop what they're doing to make 2001-esque sets or anything of the nature. Basically, while this may just bring something back (probably needing well over 10k signatures), I feel like LEGO knows too much than to succumb to what many of the more adamant fans desire. (For a little more context on this part of the post, see Wolven's and cpainter307's debate higher up in the topic.)~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Not a fan of the idea of this being hosted there. It's an improper use of the site. On a side note, the creator of this movement on that site was banned from THIS site. His same user name is shown. Dunno if that's allowed or not.sig.png

I am pretty sure it´s fine as long as you don´t start mentioning and discussing the banned member here.EDIT: Just noticed the banned member actually is mentioned in the opening post. Please edit that out.~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I consider it to be an abuse of the Cuusoo system. For one thing, Cuusoo is for original ideas, not canceled lines. Two, Cuusoo is for individual ideas, or at least was intended for that purpose. Again, not for canceled set lines. Even if this magically makes it to LEGO's review table, I don't see it passing on from there. It's too early on. BIONICLE could only possibly return years after Hero Factory has run its course, and not before.

Agreed. There are already multiple Bionicle related submissions, and if too many are posted to the site, it could potentially keep some of the original ideas from being seen. Not to mention that Hero Factory still seems to be going strong and could be sticking around for a while. Best way to help bring back Bionicle at this point is to keep buying Hero Factory sets so that Lego knows there is still a market for that type of set. That way when it comes time for Hero Factory to take a vacation, that style of building doesn't go with it. Edited by Serpent of Fire
I was there when Bionicle started in 2001. The next ten years were a great run. Sadly, all things must come to an end. But I will stop by and check in from time to time.

I whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment that this an abuse of the Cuusoo system. Using the service as an attempt to advertise petitions (which, BZP's said before aren't allowed) to Bring Back BIONICLE doesn't deserve my time or respect, however the concept of Bringing Back BIONICLE does.If the idea was represented a bit better, with specific ideas (as is the purpose of the program), maybe I wouldn't be so critical. But in its current form, this gets no support from me. And the community at large likely knows my opinions on the whole "BRING BACK BIONICLE" fiasco at this point, so I'm going to end my post here and not delve into a tirade.-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

While I've no objections to the idea of Bionicle making a return at some point, I concur that this isn't really the purpose of the Cuusoo site. Further, the fact the line ended so recently suggests it's going to be a while before Lego would even consider bringing it back - these sorts of petitions, while nice, aren't really going to do that much, especially when created through inappropriate channels like Cuusoo.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Not a fan of the idea of this being hosted there. It's an improper use of the site. On a side note, the creator of this movement on that site was banned from THIS site. His same user name is shown. Dunno if that's allowed or not. sig.png

I am pretty sure it´s fine as long as you don´t start mentioning and discussing the banned member here. EDIT: Just noticed the banned member actually is mentioned in the opening post. Please edit that out. ~Gata. ;)
Oh! Sorry, I didn't know that, and I did edit that out. I honestly didn't take into context all the cons of this proposition, and I am sorry about that, I seem to have spoken out of place. Looking at what all of you members have said, it does seem more like a petition than what CUUSOO was designed for. I'm sorry, it's just that the Concept of seeing BIONICLE seemed so close, but you're all right, this is not the way to do it. If this topic needs to be deleted, then please do so.

Lego has only done this with Knights Kingdom. They did not pick up where they left off storywise. It was totally new. The Bionicle equivilant is HF.

Knights Kingdom was nowhere near the same thing; It was a completely different theme using a name LEGO happened to already have used. You can compare that to Exo-Force; Exo-Force was originally used as the name of one of the Drome racing teams in early LEGO Racers sets. By using a name they had used before, they didn't need to worry about getting the name cleared through their legal department.If BIONICLE was brought back, I'm sure LEGO would recognize that its story was the main thing that made it BIONICLE, so there's no need to fear them releasing something new called BIONICLE that's completely different. But I see no reason why LEGO would ever bring back BIONICLE when it would be easier and bring them more success to come up with something new.
That's my point exactly. We don't need the return of Bionicle with HF around.

aouROFb.png