Korval - The Blizzard Reaper

Pohaturon

So now that the Flickr contest has reached its final phase, I thought I'd post this MOC in its own thread in order to get some feedback. I'll probably re-vamp it based on suggestions - not to enter it again in the future, seeing as most contest forbid that, but simply because it looked a lot cooler in my head when I thought it up, and want to squeeze as much out of the concept as possible.  :P

IMG_20160731_071433.jpg

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAYaHyU

Backstory:

Korval, also known as the Blizzard Reaper, is a rare sight indeed. This being is the embodiment of death in the Matoran Universe, however he is something of a "newcomer". No record of him appeared until a few decades before the great disturbance. No one knows how he came to be - was he already in the MU, but in hiding? Is he the result of an unfortunate encounter with energised protodermis? Is he one of the vile creations of the meddling Makuta?

Whatever the truth may be, Korval is feared by all. His mask, the only one of its kind known to exist, is constantly active, creating a violent snowstorm in a given radius around him. His Scythe is said to have a hunger of its own.

Not many, not even Korval himself, knows the true extent of the Scythe's powers. It is was lends its wielder his great aptitude in combat. Korval has limited telekinesis exclusive to the scythe. Wherever the scythe may be, with a thought Korval can lift it and will it into his grasp. When embedded in an enemy, be they wounded or dead, Korval may control the victim's body as long as the blade of the scythe is not removed. He sees through the sinister eyes of the skull adorning the scythe, and the few who survived an encounter say when he speaks, a second voice repeats his words from the same skull. 

One of the most sinister qualities of the scythe about which no-one is aware, is that it cancels out the protocols of the Red Star. Any being in the MU slain with this weapon will not be resurrected. In spite of his grim task, Korval is not inherently "evil". His purpose in the MU is to compensate for the appearance of new, additional and dangerous beings within the machine due to the Makuta's experiments, encounters with Energized Protodermis or other causes. The internal ecology of the Great Spirit Robot is fragile, but necessary to ensure optimal function. Korval acts as something of an anti-virus measure. Dangerous creatures who do not fit into the function of the GSR are eliminated by him.

While his scythe grants him special powers and augments his skill in battle overall, he is hardly defenseless without it. His mask-power alone, which causes a violent and disorienting blizzard around him can end weaker foes. His left arm ends in massive claws which rend flesh and armor alike, and his tail is also a formidable weapons. The appendages sprouting from his shoulders are also dangerous, however while they can move, he cannot independently control them, but like five-fingered being cannot move some of their fingers independently of one another, those appendages move due to the conscious movement of the arms. The many small spikes on his body excrete a venom which dulls the minds of his enemies. 

I tried to take inspiration from some of the Titan sets of the latter years, like 06,07 and slightly 08. I went with a white and red color scheme with some silver added as armor, since white and red, excluding Krika and Pridak, wasn't a scheme often seen in Bionicle. This MOC is actually a mix of two earlier MOC concepts. I started out with the scythe and only once it was done did I start thinking of what kind of character should accompany it. Initially I thought of a more straight up thin, skeletal reaper like guy. On the side, I was working on a bulked up Pridak revamp that started straying further  and further away from the original design, becoming  his own character.

I've seen some extremely impressive and amazing MOCs both here on the site and in the BZP Flickr group. Would any of you skilled and experienced MOCists bless me with some suggestions, techniques and critiques?

:kakama:
  • Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Hmmm...being exceptionally creative(I tear apart MoCs to create even better, newer ones as time progresses, making up to 20 an hour, 200 a day when I was younger, each one nothing like what was before it) I may have to agree with how odd the nuva plate is, and yet...from the viewpoint of one knowing Medieval Ages armor basics, I must admit, armor there serves an exceptionally practical use. That scythe is definitely NOT a scythe of Souls, a Reaper's blade, but a more...focused type, a scythe meant not to steal souls, but meant to simply reap men like wheat or grass, a weapon of necromancy used by a farmer...I love that scythe! Not gonna lie, as a connoisseur of blades, I love that scythe! The specific parts of the entire being that have armor absolutely FIT the armor in my opinion, providing better reinforcement to the arms against the force of even Good Teridax's warhammer at full, destructive force, if the bio is correctly read...and nobody can kick the guy THERE without hurting themselves. In all honesty, a wonderful gardener reaper: one that removes weeds not meant to be there, by reaping the weeds with a blade, severing at the roots. Good job, man, good job.