Why So Long For Talkbacks?

Lyichir

As the topic title says. Why do discussion topics take so long to appear after a news story has been posted? I've been waiting hours to comment on the review for Jawblade, but no Talkback has appeared. This has happened with the last few reviews as well, with me usually having to wait a whole day just to voice my thoughts on what I've just read. Wouldn't it be possible for staff who post news articles to create the discussion topic right away?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's a result of the new forum software, which doesn't work with the news the same way the old forum did. That's also why the talkback links don't go to the actual topic, and presumably why only one account is posting the topics.For the time being, at least, the delayed topics will continue. Hopefully the issues with the news and forums will be fixed eventually, but for now there's other things that are in need of attention sooner.

Edited by Ziko

It's a result of the new forum software, which doesn't work with the news the same way the old forum did. That's also why the talkback links don't go to the actual topic, and presumably why only one account is posting the topics. For the time being, at least, the delayed topics will continue. Hopefully the issues with the news and forums will be fixed eventually, but for now there's other things that are in need of attention sooner.

From this topic:

4. The Talkback links only go to the Talkback Forum, not the actual topic.The new forum software broke the previous code we had for creating Talkback topics. Topics will still be created automatically, but not right away. This will remain the case for the foreseeable future while we focus on other aspects of the site.

I'm not sure why the Jawbladeostensible tm talkback is taking so long to be posted. Maybe the system's jammed. Who knows what server derelict could have wedged itself between the dulled teeth of two gray gears, like an unfriendly reminder of the past hour's dinner, halting that forum's dark machinery. I don't know. Hopefully it will be up soon.As for your suggestion, it might be viable. I think that would involve only a matter of setting up permissions for the Reporters groups. Usually, a talkback appears within the hour after the posting of the news, though, so I don't think it's necessary. This is the only instance of tardiness that comes to mind; the talkbacks for the last three reviews were posted promptly.Feel free to PM Black Six with your suggestion, though.Question answered, topic closed.