Favorite Bionicle final battle?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys! I would like to ask you a question: What is your favorite final battle in Bionicle. You see, they are like final boss battles in video games that can end a story(line). My question is inspired by the time when I observed Sonic the Hedgehog fans watching YouTube videos about final boss battles in Sonic games. I think they are very fun to watch and I consider final battles to be a great way to end a story(line), so that's why I ask. There is a list of them:

2001: The Toa Kaita vs. the Manas, the Toa Mata vs. Makuta Teridax in Vortex form

2002: The Toa Mata vs. the Bahrag

First half of 2003: The Toa Nuva vs. the Bohrok Kal when they were near the Nuva Cube

Second half of 2003: The Toa Nuva and Takanuva vs. the Rahkshi at Kini Nui, Takanuva vs. Makuta Teridax

2004: The Toa Metru vs. Nidhiki, Krekka, and Teridax

2005: The Toa Hordika vs. the Visorak and Rookaka, Keetongu vs. Sidorak and Roodaka, Vakama and Teridax vs. the Shadowed One and Voporak

2006: The Toa Inika vs. Vezon and Fenrakk/Kardas Dragon

2007: The Toa Mahri vs. the Barraki, Hydraxon vs. Maxilos (Teridax possessing it)

2008: The Toa Nuva, Takanuva, and Toa Ignika vs. the Makuta in Karda Nui

2009: Mata Nui vs. Tuma, Mata Nui and the Glatorian vs. Metus, the Skrall, and the Bone Hunters

2010: Mata Nui, Tahu, Takanuva, Gresh, and other good guys vs. Teridax, Nektann, the Rahkshi, the Skrall, and other bad guys

2015: The Toa Masters and Ekimu vs. Kulta the Skull Grinder

2016: The Toa Uniters and Ekimu vs. Umarak the Destroyer and Makuta

These are the final battles from the main storylines. If there are other final battles from other things, like the serials, that you are preferring the most, you can say that, too. You see what I mean? So, what is your favorite final battle in Bionicle? For me, my favorites are the 2001, 2002, late 2003, and 2008.:)

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

2001.  Makuta's Void form... oh man.  Everything else to me is cliche.  Showing up as a little infected Matoran?  His body blowing apart as the tentacles come down?  The Toa parts floating around in the vortex?  That speech, "You cannot destroy me, for I am nothing."  I still want to audition with that monologue someday.  Ah, that was perfect.

2003 and 2004 were cool, though I wish they had more dialog.  "Sleep spares him pain!  Awake, he suffers."  Ace.  I just wish there was more of it.  And then later, Turaga Lhikan confronting Makuta - "You were sworn to protect the Matoran!"  "And I shall..."  I loved how it kept hinting to that guardian side of Makuta, something in his past that went horribly wrong.

Welp, that's it for the "Back in MY day" speech... dang I feel old now.

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

2001. Makuta's Void form... oh man. Everything else to me is cliche. Showing up as a little infected Matoran? His body blowing apart as the tentacles come down? The Toa parts floating around in the vortex? That speech, "You cannot destroy me, for I am nothing." I still want to audition with that monologue someday. Ah, that was perfect.

2003 and 2004 were cool, though I wish they had more dialog. "Sleep spares him pain! Awake, he suffers." Ace. I just wish there was more of it. And then later, Turaga Lhikan confronting Makuta - "You were sworn to protect the Matoran!" "And I shall..." I loved how it kept hinting to that guardian side of Makuta, something in his past that went horribly wrong.

Welp, that's it for the "Back in MY day" speech... dang I feel old now.

And I sort of remembered these quotes. Good memory! You know that Bionicle is also 15 years old (Happy 15rh anniversary, Bionicle!:D ), and there are a lot of final battles during most of those 15 years, too.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

My two favorites: 

Toa Mata vs. Makuta Void. Being one of the few final battles here depicted in a video format (as part of the game) it really has a great set up. The tension and mystery of the Makuta Matoran hides the danger he posses to the Toa, and then BOOM giant void vortex. And the music, for being compressed flash music meant for a free game, it was excellent and memorable. 

My second favorite is Mata Nui vs. Makuta. Giant robot fist fight. Enough said, and a great way to end the franchise on a high note. Besides with the narrated version I just pretend Worf is telling the story  :P

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

The Toa Mata vs. Makuta battle is clearly one of the best. One of my other personal favorites is the Toa Nuva vs. Bohrok-Kal battle. Granted, it was less of a battle and more just a confrontation... but I find it epic and creative nevertheless. We got to see the Vahi in action (even though its importance was somewhat marginal) and the Toa using their elements against the Kal showed that mind can overcome raw strength.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! You guys love the 2001 final battle. I wonder what makes it the most favored final battle? Is it because it is the first or is it the perfect fight between the first main protagonists and the first main antagonist? Well, classics are great because of this kind of nostalgia. I wish that The Legend of Mata Nui computer game wasn't cancelled, so I can experience the Toa's fight with Makuta. Ah, I feel a lot of nostalgia.:)

I only ever experienced '01-'05, and '10 (everything in between was sort of a time where I tried to distance myself from my childhood interests, including Bionicle), so I'll count from those.  From most to least out of those is '01, '10, '03, '04, '02, '05.

2001 is my favorite, partly because of nostalgia, and partly because MNOLG's version still holds up.  It really gets to the heart of Bionicle and what the Toa are all about: Mask powers, elemental powers, and teamwork.

2010 is second because we finally get to see the two "brothers" that I've heard about since the very beginning finally duke it out...AS GIANT PLANET-SIZED ROBOTS!  That year was at the tail end of my mecha anime phase, and Gurren Lagann was pretty fresh in my mind, so I loved it.

2003 is third largely because of nostalgia, but I also liked the impact it had on both me and Bionicle.  I was the biggest Bionicle nut in my entire school, so I still remember the hype of seeing Takanuva beat Makuta in the movie.  Also, it opened up Metru Nui.

2004's next because I really did like watching Vakama and Lhikan tag-team Teridax, and the use of the Vahi was pretty cool.  The only thing I would've liked to see more was more involvement from the other Toa Metru.

2002's so low because while I liked the Bohrok saga, it just wasn't as big of a deal to me personally as the others.  The Exo-Toa were a really cool idea, but I quickly forgot about them.

2005 is just my least favorite year altogether, and the movie was easily the worst of the first three movies (I have yet to see the 2009 movie).  Also "alright, who fired the tickle spinner?"

• Upvote 1

Hmm... 2001 and 2003 are tied for first in my book.

2001 had some awesome stuff going. The Toa Kaita vs. the Manas (especially the Legend of Mata Nui version of the battle, which is the one that SHOULD be canon), the battle against the Shadow Toa (I prefer Cathy Hapka's version even though it's non-canon since that one actually made use of the Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors between the Toa - something no other battle has done even though it was very deliberately established. I wish Farshtey had combined the two versions so that they had to stun the Shadow Toa by beating them like that before they could absorb them, instead of just insisting on his absorption version), and the actual fight with Makuta. Back when defeating him was hard because he was super-powerful and they were literally fighting a shadow, instead of it being hard because of his being Farshtey's pet.

2003 was pretty good too. The first half, the final showdown with the Rahkshi, was lovely. The Rahkshi had proven themselves fearsome opponents... but united, the Toa Nuva were able to wipe the floor with them, making great use of their elemental powers. And Takanuva's one-shotting of Turahk was quite satisfying, especially in the wake of Jaller's death.

The second half was awesome. It was well-choreographed, making it a treat to watch. Makuta's dialogue was appropriately chilling when it needed to be, and actually fit the story. And the fusion into Takutanuva and this being the final battle against Makuta and Mata Nui was finally going to wake up thanks to Takanuva and the ceremony at the end.

For going back on that, for breaking the promise, the story from 2006-2010 earned my eternal scorn.

Not sure how to rank the 2002 and 2005 final battles, as to which gets third and which gets second.

I know which battle ranks lowest, amongst those I acknowledge: 2004. I hate it. It's Vakama-centric, it's stupidly videogame-y with how Makuta can't stop his Shadow Hand before it drags the rocks into him or make it let go of the rocks, and it's only when they create the Toa Seal that the Toa Metru ever use their elemental powers (prior to that, the movie acted unaware said powers existed ugh..)

• Upvote 1

2001 and 2005 probably had the best battle imo, just because they were seen in motion. I think both were huge and epic battles.

I think writing-wise, 2010 is definitely up there. Journey's End and Mata Nui Saga really gave us a sense of scale, and the comics helped visualize a pretty darn cool battle between two moon-sized giant robots. I mean, that's pretty epic. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

I gotta say, 2010. I experienced it all through the comics, and I loved the artwork. Part of the excitement was the fact that there were both giant robots fighting, and a struggle on the ground. If either failed, the result could've been catastrophic. Not to mention journey's end, which was neat, too. Overall, it seemed fairly cool and it felt like it had the most magnitude behind it.

• Upvote 1

db76a003-790e-461b-a18a-fa88a856ee11_zps

Check out my reinforced double ball cup!

I gotta say, 2010. I experienced it all through the comics, and I loved the artwork. Part of the excitement was the fact that there were both giant robots fighting, and a struggle on the ground. If either failed, the result could've been catastrophic. Not to mention journey's end, which was neat, too. Overall, it seemed fairly cool and it felt like it had the most magnitude behind it.

Finally, now there's someone who doesn't say the 2001 battle. It's good to vary things. Plus, that was a great battle. Sums up the G1 story well, sort of before the summer 2010 and 2011 events.:)

Anyway, here is the list that can rate the final battles based on my opinion:

1. 2001 battle

2. 2010 battle

3. 2004 battle

4. Late 2003 battle

5. 2002 battle

6. 2005 battle

7. 2006 battle

8. 2007 battle

9. 2009 battle

10. Early 2003 battle

11. 2016 battle

12. 2008 battle

13. 2015 battle

I am surprised that no one talked about the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2015 ones. Why is that? I thought the 2006 one was good. I think I understand why not one of the others is everyone's favorite final battle (2001 is). 2007 showed no one won the battle. 2008 showed the Makuta team being tricked by their leader to get killed in the Energy Storms. 2009 is where Mata Nui kicked Tuma's butt for a couple of minutes, then just grabbed Metus and turned him into a snake, then went to help his friends defeat the united Skrall and Bone Hunters in one huge blast, which made the evil dudes run away. The 2015 one is the worst because it just showed the Toa Masters charged at Kulta who hit them in one swing, the Toa tried to stop him without the strength from their destroyed masks until they couldn't do more or enough to defeat Kulta, and finally, Ekimu attacked Kulta for a few seconds and hit Kukta in the face with his hammer to end the battle.

Man, due to my list, I wish any of us could make a music video showing all final battles in one complication.:)

I didn't really grow up with the MNOLG, so out of all the final battles, I'd have to say 2006 and 2010 are my favorite. 2006 mostly just because of the characters involved, and 2010 because PLANET SIZED GIANT ROBOTS PUNCHING EACH OTHER IN THE FACE I MEAN COME ON.

Edited by Kung Fu Za Warudo
  • Upvote 1

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Dude.  Keetongu vs Roodaka and Sidorak.  That thing was masterful.  So much was revealed about Sidorak in those few minutes.

I mean, you have Sidorak attacking Keetongu while he's climbing up a building.  That puts into light what I've thought to be a key part of Sidorak's character: he thinks he's tough, but he's attacking an inconvenienced enemy, which shows his cowardice.  Then he offers the final blow to Roodaka, and later, demands it from her, also hinting at his cowardice: he doesn't want to finish the fight.

Roodaka tells Sidorak to finish Keetongu off himself, and Sidorak says that he "can't do it [him]self," yet again revealing his cowardice, and at this point, dependence on Roodaka's power.  That's another masterful thing: that line shows that Sidorak knows that he needs Roodaka's power.  It's that dependence on Roodaka, coupled with his cowardice, that leads to Sidorak's demise at the hands of Keetongu.

I might be rambling on, but seeing that fight through my matured eyes... it just... whoa.  Back when I was ten, I thought this fight was weak-sauce, and that Sidorak sucked, but at seventeen, I see that it was actually quite great, and that Sidorak wasn't as boring a character as I thought.  He's a power-hungry coward who thinks he holds the real authority within the Visorak Horde, but he turns out to be just a weak pawn in Roodaka's game.

Edited by capMARVELOUS
  • Upvote 1

Hmm. Hard question.

2001 had a really great final battle - simultaneously creepy and high-octane; 2004 had its raw emotional impact; 2005 (my year of introduction to BIONICLE) had an epic big-battle feel about it that the finales had previously lacked; 2006 was nothing short of terrific; 2007 had a big-battle feel mixed with higher stakes than ever before; 2008 was brilliant; 2009 was a big epic battle that worked terrifically on paper but was wrecked by the film; and 2010 was an apocalyptic planet-wide battle that was both epic a personal.

It's a hard choice between 2001, 2006, 2008 and 2010 (although I have a deep fondness for the scale, the Bara Magna setting and for the concept 2009's finale possessed), but I reckon I'll go for 2006. 

• Upvote 1

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

• 3 weeks later...

Dude.  Keetongu vs Roodaka and Sidorak.  That thing was masterful.  So much was revealed about Sidorak in those few minutes.

I mean, you have Sidorak attacking Keetongu while he's climbing up a building.  That puts into light what I've thought to be a key part of Sidorak's character: he thinks he's tough, but he's attacking an inconvenienced enemy, which shows his cowardice.  Then he offers the final blow to Roodaka, and later, demands it from her, also hinting at his cowardice: he doesn't want to finish the fight.

Roodaka tells Sidorak to finish Keetongu off himself, and Sidorak says that he "can't do it [him]self," yet again revealing his cowardice, and at this point, dependence on Roodaka's power.  That's another masterful thing: that line shows that Sidorak knows that he needs Roodaka's power.  It's that dependence on Roodaka, coupled with his cowardice, that leads to Sidorak's demise at the hands of Keetongu.

I might be rambling on, but seeing that fight through my matured eyes... it just... whoa.  Back when I was ten, I thought this fight was weak-sauce, and that Sidorak sucked, but at seventeen, I see that it was actually quite great, and that Sidorak wasn't as boring a character as I thought.  He's a power-hungry coward who thinks he holds the real authority within the Visorak Horde, but he turns out to be just a weak pawn in Roodaka's game.

Oh, yes, that final battle. Man, Sidorak was depending on Roodaka. As a warlord, he is dependent on anyone who works with him, which made him sad and meet his demise in the hands of Keetongu. Plus, the battle is very sad, because not only of Sidorak's problem, but of the fact that the Roodaka had the Toa Hordika free Makuta. Yikes, they unleashed the ultimate evil that took over their world in the future. :(

Edited by Lenny7092

I know this one's been mentioned several times over, but I still gotta share it: there's something about the 2001 battle that made it an entirely different animal from the rest.

Full disclosure, I'm old guard. I was playing MNOG chapter by chapter as it came out, rocking sub-adequate dial-up internet (Mata Nui, the frame rates were horrid!) and loving every minute of it, so I am more likely than not a victim of nostalgia. However, approaching the matter objectively, there are a few of things about that first fight that were inherently unique to it.

First off, there's a key component to Makuta's characterization that never really catches on in the following years. Through sporadic conversations with characters, it's suggested to players that Makuta is something occupying a state of existence beyond that of your typical antagonist. He--or it, as we really don't know much at this point--is some sort of malevolent entity of immense power. A force of nature, a sentient manifestation of malignant energy. Destruction Incarnate. The whole thing pretty shamelessly plays to Lovecraftian ideas of "unknowable horrors," but in a franchise where the major billing point is colorful-tribal-robots-with-big-swords-and-bigger-attitudes, it's a compelling contrast. Any and all hopes of LEGO having their very own Eldritch Abomination are fulfilled at MNOG's conclusion when Makuta pulls a George Denbrough on the Toa before exploding into a swirling torrent of what is essentially robot gore. All of this is, of course, added onto by Makuta's monologue (which I still consider one of the best deliveries by a villain ever), reinforcing the notion that this is something inherently alien to the realm of the Matoran. Now, a lot of this was later "sci-fi'ed" away as being part of Makuta's elaborate theatrical plan to "instill superstitious fear and subservience into the hearts of the Matoran" and whatever else, but still... talk about an entrance.

Tying into this idea is the setting. Most of the major fights concluding their respective years occur between the latest incarnation of our intrepid heroes and a massive hoard of summer sets, generally in a well-established location. This first major battle ends up being a more intimate one, taking place exclusively between Makuta and the Toa in what appears to be a relatively claustrophobic space. All we know about Mangaia prior to our first visit is that it's "Makuta's Lair," whatever that means. What we quickly learn in the closing chapters of MNOG is that it's completely shrouded in darkness, inhabited by giant killer RC crabs, and possesses acasual reality-bending qualities that prevent Gem Fusions Toa Kaita from existing within its boundaries. And also there's a formless elder god hanging out in one of the back rooms. Really, the sundial at the bottom of Shaft B might as well have been a portal to another plane of existence, but I suppose a cave carved into the skullcap of a comatose machine god is a fair second.

Some deus ex machinas notwithstanding, Bionicle does a reasonably good job at making smooth narrative transitions between years, but 2001 still holds the honor for setting that trend. Unlike later years, MNOG actually played the long game with the big reveal, hinting at the Bohrok as early as the telescope. Takua's last-minute discovery of the hive ends up being more incidental than anything (though being there right at the moment they start waking up doesn't look too good either). Nevertheless, watching all that foreshadowing finally come to fruition is nothing short of satisfying, and it helps reinforce the notion that Makuta has every manner of resource at his disposal.

None of this is to disparage the following years, of course. 2003 provided several revelations in its own right, the characterization in 2005 was a phenomenal development, and 2006's Divine Comedy-inspired gauntlet made for a compelling transition into darker themes. Being the first, though, 2001 set the bar high for a franchise that would move in a direction leaving the former very distinct unto itself. 2001 was a story told while the future was still uncertain, and the complete and total air of mystery MNOG exudes beautifully captures that open creative ambiguity.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

You put it better than I could, man.

2001 ranks pretty high for me, as does the crazy throwdown at the end of 2005.  2002's finale was neat for many of the same reasons as 2001's, and the final throwdown with the Kal had a bit of that as well, mostly in the form of the curveball that was the Exo-Toa fighting on their own.  Takanuva versus Teridax had some spectacle to it, but ended up being a bit of a letdown in the end.  Metru vs. Teridax was honestly just kinda silly imo.  2007 and 2008 didn't really have much in the way of final battles, though Teridax versus practically every sea creature in the Pit was wonderful to imagine and Kingdom!Makuta's death was a glorious affair.  I loved the Kardas Dragon fight and the revelation about the Ignika at the end, although I could've done without the plot device Zamor.  2009 and 2010 had... issues.

As for G2, I felt the fight with Skull Grinder was actually pretty darn good before Ekimu oneshotted him- the bit with Tahu trying to hold him off while the other Toa tried to hold him down, all of them maskless and powerless, was really compelling imagery that I don't think we ever got to see in G1.  I haven't gotten around to finishing Journey to One yet, so I'm reserving my opinion of that.

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)
  • Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is probably the 2001 Toa Kaita Vs. Manas fight and the 2002 Bahrag fight.

I mean, the Toa combine into big 'ol warrior spirits to destroy these huge Rahi! The Kaita were so cool, and I feel like they could have had a much bigger place in the story and especially in G2. And with the Bahrag, the Toa first find mecha suits to combat two giant dinosaur queens Pacific Rim style, and a really interesting power display occurs. It was so well written and I still love it. I still wish we did get that Bohrok Spider set Christian Faber showed off, and the connection between the Bohrok and the Toa Mata.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Oh, yes, I completely forgot about that one!  It was like the final showdown Lhikan and Nidhiki should've had but never got.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

2001 finale is very iconic

of all the movies, i think wos did the climatic battle the best xd. also, TSO vs terry, mindbuhlowwing stuff

2006 was basically one big battle with the piraka outsmarting the inika and each other. 

2007 was a little underwhelming in this case. didn't really have a final battle. 

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.