Boneheads of Voodoo Island

Man, these are amazing. I really like the large amount of custom... everything, really, being used. They really get that tribal feel across. The little trinkets, tools and decorations on them really give them character, and they both have endearing backstories. That little custom skull-spider is also really awesome! While the gears on their chests are a nice touch, they have less of a mechanical motif going on that your description would have us believe, if you don't mind my saying. 

Overall, these are great builds, and when G3 does come along, I wouldn't mind Lego taking a different approach to Bionicle than in G1 and G2, which were pretty similar. Having a theme like this, with greater emphasis on the tribal side, would be a great new direction, and a good way to differentiate it from the more sci-fi oriented Star Wars CCBS and upcoming Nexo Knights CCBS lines.

Great work!

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I love these. The amount of detail ia great,nand I love the semi-skeletal look of them with their garb and detailing. That Crowsbow/Bow is great.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Not gonna lie, I was expecting them to have the doofy faces that the original Boneheads prototypes had. :P

Aside from that, these are really good. I like all the accessories that the two of them have-it makes them look unique. The integration of System parts is very steampunkish. I hope you do more of these in the future; they're very cool.

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

Two thumbs up! These are astounding looking figures. The bright colors are reminiscent of 2001 and look really neat with the other subdued colors. The feet and legs are my favorite parts... along with the organic jewelry, and the belt on Kopere.

The bionic versions of easily recognizable weapons are cool. The only thing is that I believe the loincloth/tunic element on Pakuru would have been better as a fabric piece.

But the way the new Bionicle (and Lego system) pieces were used and incorporated into the classic Bionicle aesthetic is really cool and slick. They capture exactly what was described in your introduction.

Overall an interesting interpretation of Bionicle, that’s for sure. A return to and pushing of this style would be great to see in a new Bionicle.

pirate wreck  

Thank you everyone for the detailed feedback! I really love reading your thoughts.

While the gears on their chests are a nice touch, they have less of a mechanical motif going on that your description would have us believe, if you don't mind my saying.

I don't mind at all! There are parts of the designs besides the chest-gears which also carry a vaguely steampunk vibe... see the pistons coming out Pakuru's elbows, or the little exhaust vents on the Kopere's forearms. With the "mechanical motif," I was trying to break as much of the CCBS system's natural smoothness/futuristic appearance as possible, while maintaining satisfying silhouette integrity for the characters. I think the tribal detailing sort of upstages these other details, though, so I see what you mean.

The bionic versions of easily recognizable weapons are cool. The only thing is that I believe the loincloth/tunic element on Pakuru would have been better as a fabric piece.

Definitely an interesting idea! I opted for CCBS shells as the loincloths on both characters because they had the benefit of attachment points, on which I could execute more of the style I had in mind.

test2.png