So, amid a ton of extremely impressive builds by MOCists on this site, this is my entry for the Makuta building contest on ReBrick.

Contest1.jpg

Backstory:

In an alternate universe, upon realizing that Ekimu was the superior mask maker, Makuta, instead of creating the Mask of Ultimate Power, turned his efforts elsewhere. He left the City of the Mask Makers and travelled to the Region of Earth. However, instead of delving into its many tunnels, he remained on the unpopulated surface, and sought out the highest peak. To test his own resolve, he endeavored to hollow out the mountain with his bare hands. Such gruelling physical work greatly strengthened his skeletal structure and increased his muscle mass, leaving him significantly larger and taller than his former, feeble form. After setting up a forge in his new lair, he first created a large, sacred hammer with two silver faces. He then vowed to craft weapons instead of masks, and to forge without rest until one of the faces of his new hammer dulls so that it does not shine. He first created a large suit of armor, and weaved crystal with steel. He then forged weapons day and night, blades and hammers of the finest quality. While Ekimu was a master of decor and pomp, Makuta was practical. Instead of using gems and gold, he wrought iron and steel. Ekimu might make the most beautiful golden masks and glass shields, but his creations would shatter if met but Makuta's blades.

Makuta replaced his Mask of Control with the last mask he ever created - the mask of Shadows. It was his last ditch effort to best his brother, by weaving the power of the shadows themselves into a mask, instead of relying on an element. While his previous masks were simply less popular, this creation caused true controversy. The people of Okoto petitioned him to destroy the mask. This was what tipped him to abandon the craft of Mask Making. Though he now bears the Mask of Shadows, he kept his old Mask of Control as a reminder. Whenever he desired rest, whenever he tired, he would look at it and forge on.

Over the years, a few villagers, outcasts from their villages, happened upon his iron fortress. As kindred souls, they pledged themselves to the Weapon Maker. Makuta forged ever more, producing enough weapons to arm all the souls on Okoto twice over and still have many to spare. Each was unique, and entirely deadly. Eventually, the last sliver of silver was chipped off his hammer. This is when he knew that the time has come. Turning his hammer over to its untouched side, he declared that while the other face forged and crafted metal, this one shall taste bone and blood. With his group of well armed followers, Makuta strode forth from his iron fortress, and craved a warpath to the City of the Mask Makers. Those who stood in his way brandished the golden swords and elaborate gemstone armor made by Ekimu. Though their equipment looked impeccable, the tempered iron and steel weapons of Makuta tore through them with ease. 

Finally, at the gate of the city, Makuta challenged Ekimu to single combat. The Mask Maker emerged in his larger, light-infused form, however even that was not enough to stand against the sheer force of Makuta.Though his conquest was bloody, the reign of Emperor Makuta was not one of tyranny. He was a strong leader who punished those who deserved it with severity and cruelty, however his iron fist struck down all threats to his people. While during the time of Ekimu, the Okotoans valued the luxury and decor of decadence, under Makuta, progress and strength were considered greater virtues. It was not long before the armies of Okoto, armed with iron and steel, would set forth to conquer other lands beyond the sea...

Contest2.jpg

I tried to take an unconventional approach to building my Makuta. The vast majority of entries were black/gold/purple/red CCBS titans that were basically variations of the JtO Makuta build. Sure, there are a few more originals ones out there than mine, but I opted for an atypical color scheme for Makuta, as well as a different backstory. While the weapon-racks and anvil probably won't be taken into account by the judges, it felt good to add some decor that emphasised Makuta's transfer to the craft of weapon making. Including the fingers, the set has 21 points of articulation, plus two unused ones holding the blades on his back. The set uses no illegal connections, no cut or modified pieces or anything else out of order. 

Any suggestions on how to improve him would be greatly appreciated!

:kakama:

• Upvote 7

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Wow, your MOCs on BZP are getting better and better!

I'm really liking the choice to use the Kraakhan here. Everything looks nice and smooth, it's just a confusing color scheme. The black/blue/green of Storm Beast is a bit of an odd choice for Makuta, and the Knight's Kingdom armor plates do throw me off, but besides odd colors, it's pretty darn pretty. Great job!

• Upvote 2

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Wow, your MOCs on BZP are getting better and better!

I'm really liking the choice to use the Kraakhan here. Everything looks nice and smooth, it's just a confusing color scheme. The black/blue/green of Storm Beast is a bit of an odd choice for Makuta, and the Knight's Kingdom armor plates do throw me off, but besides odd colors, it's pretty darn pretty. Great job!

I opted for Storm Beast's colors plus a whole lot of silver because I felt that the scheme worked really well on Stormy and wouldn't suffer from the added silver. I know these aren't colors typically associated with Makuta, but that was kind of the point  :P

As for the KK shoulders, I know the colors are off and am bothered by it too, but I don't have them in any other color (though the large silver shoulder plates used by one of the good knights in that wave would be great) however shape-wise they fit really well, both the shoulders themselves and the theme I was going for with the set. That said, I'm probably going to look for some sort of alternative. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Man, this is the best entry I've seen so far!

Everything else so far is just the typical "tall evil black" Makuta. This one is a great reimagining without being too radical.

The build itself is really good too.

Again, great work. Hope you win!

(Now, to scrape together my own feeble attempt...)

Thanks for the praise, mate! Hey, I felt the same way after seeing some of the amazing builds people have submitted (still do, sort of  :D ). Have at it and best of luck!

This is really cool; the details are stunning!  The mix of g1 and g2 parts are blended very well together and can be explained by the alternate universe idea (quite genius).  The colors actually work surprisingly well together, IMO, the only thing that may stand out to much may be the blue on the chest plate.  The hands look like they could use some armor, but this is probably more a preference than a problem.  The anvil could be a bigger on the top I think.  And then there's the background story...Incredible, the detailed writing was very captivating.

I wish you luck in the contest.

• Upvote 1

This is really cool; the details are stunning!  The mix of g1 and g2 parts are blended very well together and can be explained by the alternate universe idea (quite genius).  The colors actually work surprisingly well together, IMO, the only thing that may stand out to much may be the blue on the chest plate.  The hands look like they could use some armor, but this is probably more a preference than a problem.  The anvil could be a bigger on the top I think.  And then there's the background story...Incredible, the detailed writing was very captivating.

I wish you luck in the contest.

You mean the light blue crystals from Stormy's chest printing? Yeah, they are a different shade, but the only other such parts that I have are 2015 Pohatu's and 2015 Lewa's, both of which are worse. I did experiment with other CCBS armor additions to put on the ribcage, but none of the ones that I have work well. As for the arms, I wanted to bulk them up a tad, but they already have friction extenders at the shoulder socket which is the only thing allowing them to keep their shape when posing - any more muscle and poor Makuta wouldn't be able to even lift his arms  :D

Pretty impressive, it's neat to see someone differentiate their build through colour. The custom limbs and torso are a big plus and the mixing of old and new bionicle pieces was done intelligently. Well done!

I wonder how this Makuta would fare against the other Makuta? I bet he'd pummel him into the dust.

Great job on this one, it's an impressive build with an impressive back story, and of all the entries I sincerely hope that you win.

Thank you both for the praise! I glad you like the MOC.

Yeah I was talking about the printing, not sure what chest print would best fit this MOC anyways.  Maybe Skull Slicer's?  I don't think it looks bad, there just isn't any more of the color for balance except the axle-pins.

I think the arms look okay, it's just the hands that I thought looked a bit thin.  After thinking about it, it works if you are going for a skeletal look.

All and all, I think your model is well thought out.

Huh. Warhammer, hulking titan of a warrior, heavy-duty and practical armor, still a good person, yet wearing a Kraahkan...you accidentally created a dark-armor variant of my favorite Makuta, Mirror Teridax!!!! I, for one, am hoping that you win! Joke incoming...? 50/5, that's my vote, lol...that was a Metus-style joke, by the way.

So...to serious critique. This will be done in paragraph-esque format. Each segment will have its own...particular subject. Let us begin...

The hammer, interesting choice to use protodermis Hau for the heads; I would have opted for the jetpacks of the Av-Matoran in Karda Nui, but that's a preference for the challenge of molding parts around them to produce a hammer. Nice pommelstone for the hammer, regardless. The choice of semitransparent light green pieces was a good choice, as it can be inferred, along with the Hau, as a reference to MNORPG, which had Makuta in the form of a Tohunga, with a Hau, as well as the realization of antidermis, which was black and green. The hand seems to have been made before the hammer; doing so makes more sense to me, so the handle can be specialty designed for the hand easier.

The armor. The choice of design, the way it all seems to clip together, brings to mind plate mail armor. The shoulders were actually well-chosen, seeing as they are an iron-grey color, as well as, if in real life suits of armor, serving a practical use in simply rolling the shoulder to block a hail of arrows. The color scheme, in my sight, seems to suit staying in a forge for many years, whilst being practical in the sense of the blues and greens, which, I suspect, infer to a line in the back story: "First he made an armor out of iron and crystal." Those ARE the crystals, correct? The VERY excellent feel, of the Kraahkan and the shoulder armor, produces a heavy plate helmet feel; expertly devised, good sir.

The anvil has one major complaint: the "face" of it, the top, is too thin for a sword, a hammer, a mace, none of that. Its good for small plating for armor, but not much, well, practicality in the anvil. What's more, I see no accompanying furnace, nor a bellows and molding stack. Without those, it seems incomplete.

The weapon racks. A true weapon forger must also have racks of armor, but yet, they are well chosen blades and staves, bludgeoning and piercing weapons. I noticed Mata weapons, funnily enough noticing Onua's two glove-like weapons. That, honestly, had me chuckle. You could have added a shield, for a shield is not just armor, tis also a weapon. And I mean a shield OTHER than that used by Kopaka Mata!!!

In conclusion, I have found only 3 flaws in the entirety of this build. His original, can be construed as a what-if, and you accidentally made several references to the past of Bionicle. My opinion in full? A good, well-built, nicely done moc. You may have quite the chance to win.

Huh. Warhammer, hulking titan of a warrior, heavy-duty and practical armor, still a good person, yet wearing a Kraahkan...you accidentally created a dark-armor variant of my favorite Makuta, Mirror Teridax!!!! I, for one, am hoping that you win! Joke incoming...? 50/5, that's my vote, lol...that was a Metus-style joke, by the way.

So...to serious critique. This will be done in paragraph-esque format. Each segment will have its own...particular subject. Let us begin...

The hammer, interesting choice to use protodermis Hau for the heads; I would have opted for the jetpacks of the Av-Matoran in Karda Nui, but that's a preference for the challenge of molding parts around them to produce a hammer. Nice pommelstone for the hammer, regardless. The choice of semitransparent light green pieces was a good choice, as it can be inferred, along with the Hau, as a reference to MNORPG, which had Makuta in the form of a Tohunga, with a Hau, as well as the realization of antidermis, which was black and green. The hand seems to have been made before the hammer; doing so makes more sense to me, so the handle can be specialty designed for the hand easier.

The armor. The choice of design, the way it all seems to clip together, brings to mind plate mail armor. The shoulders were actually well-chosen, seeing as they are an iron-grey color, as well as, if in real life suits of armor, serving a practical use in simply rolling the shoulder to block a hail of arrows. The color scheme, in my sight, seems to suit staying in a forge for many years, whilst being practical in the sense of the blues and greens, which, I suspect, infer to a line in the back story: "First he made an armor out of iron and crystal." Those ARE the crystals, correct? The VERY excellent feel, of the Kraahkan and the shoulder armor, produces a heavy plate helmet feel; expertly devised, good sir.

The anvil has one major complaint: the "face" of it, the top, is too thin for a sword, a hammer, a mace, none of that. Its good for small plating for armor, but not much, well, practicality in the anvil. What's more, I see no accompanying furnace, nor a bellows and molding stack. Without those, it seems incomplete.

The weapon racks. A true weapon forger must also have racks of armor, but yet, they are well chosen blades and staves, bludgeoning and piercing weapons. I noticed Mata weapons, funnily enough noticing Onua's two glove-like weapons. That, honestly, had me chuckle. You could have added a shield, for a shield is not just armor, tis also a weapon. And I mean a shield OTHER than that used by Kopaka Mata!!!

In conclusion, I have found only 3 flaws in the entirety of this build. His original, can be construed as a what-if, and you accidentally made several references to the past of Bionicle. My opinion in full? A ###### good, well-built, nicely done moc. You may have quite the chance to win.

Thanks for the praise and feedback! I guess the choice for the Haus came from the fact that I usually come up with backstories for my MOCs prior to building them - rather, I randomly come up with some story in my head, and later decide to MOC a character from it. In this case it was a mixed thing, since I new I was making a Makuta MOC, but wanted something other than the typical red-black shadow titan, so I came up with an alternate story for Makuta including the part about the silver hammer and went from there. And what do you know, I happen to have one Chrome Hau and one dark grey Hau. Seemed logical to me.

As for the anvil and weapon racks, I know the former wouldn't work as an anvil in real life, but I figured the judges will be grading just the character himself and the weapons he is holding, rather than the fluff decor like the weapons on the racks or the anvil. 

Either way, thank you for your extensive feedback!

Excellent backstory and excellent rendition. Original and lovely - it is lovely when old constraction and new constraction unite.

My only gripe would be the shoulders: they stand out a little too much, and make the arms look disproportionately long...but that's not necessarily a flaw, they give him an ominous look, and they remind me of Chirox.

Good job and good luck. Also, can we have a pic of him wearing the Mask of Creation?

Edited by Millennium

Good job and good luck. Also, can we have a pic of him wearing the Mask of Creation?

Thanks for the praise! As for that last request, I'd love to grant it, but I don't have a mask of creation unfortunately. In the case that I end up winning and therefore getting all the G2 sets however, I'll be able to post such a picture. Small chance though  :P