Interview with a Set Designer

Today we have another interview from the LEGO Fan Media Days earlier this year. BZPower had a chance to

, one of the lead designers behind the Nexo Knights theme. Give it a watch to learn about how the theme was created, what the design process is for new pieces and sets, and more! We hope you enjoy it, let us know what you think in the Talkback!

View the full article

Interesting interview.  I believe he has done a great job targeting the themes to the younger audience, unfortunately this has alienated some of there older target audience.

I believe that the whole "cartoon" approach to the current themes, are what killed them for the older fans.  I actually really like the concept of Nexo Knights but the execution of the theme falls short.  

After asking my younger brother (who is in the target range) what he thinks, he told me that he finds the Ninjago and Nexo Knights heroes to be over powered and the main villains to be uninteresting with a few exceptions like Garmadon and Morro.  He never got into Chima because it didn't appeal to him.  He currently only has interest in Star Wars, Marval, and Dimensions, the first two are both licensed themes with serious storys and the the third is a video game which I believe falls under a different field of play.

To sum up, I think a more serious approach to themes would be more beneficial to LEGO, but this is may just be my opinion.