Makuta, King of the Shadow Realm

28670915533_f263502c7a.jpg

Flickr

My entry for the Makuta contest going on over at Rebrick. My goal for my entry was to portray Makuta as more of a king or general who commands a shadow army while circling back to the part of the story that was emphasized at the beginning of the new BIONICLE of Makuta and Ekimu being brothers and including parallels to the 2016 version of Ekimu such as a shield that utilizes the same clip system, a staffed weapon, and a similar stature.

The "gold" bits on the knees are homemade stickers to distribute gold lower on the body. To get the color close enough to LEGO's I researched the color codes that Bricklink or other websites documented as the official LEGO color, printed out a sheet of square labels in the color, applied them to the knees, and cut them to fit. Another small thing that I researched was military uniforms and different articles used to denote honors or power, which I worked in with something akin to an Aiguillette, which is a cord worn on ceremonial uniforms.

• Upvote 2

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

It won't hold up to some of the better entries (and worse ones, if LEGO decides to be stupid again) but this is great! I love the detailing in every part, even though the legs seem a little underbuilt. I'd complain about the painted leg armour, but it's painted so nicely that it kinda makes up for it.

Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Aren't you being a little too harsh? Just because this one is small and simple and the others large and complex, does not mean 'it doesn't stand a chance'. The goal of the contest, as far as I know, is not 'build the biggest Makuta', and personally I think this fella nails the character of G2 Makuta pretty well, and better than others I've seen.

As Pohatu said, "great strength can be found in small packages".

Edited by Millennium
  • Upvote 3

Aren't you being a little too harsh? Just because this one is small and simple and the others large and complex, does not mean 'it doesn't stand a chance'. The goal of the contest, as far as I know, is not 'build the biggest Makuta', and personally I think this fella nails the character of G2 Makuta pretty well, and better than others I've seen.

As Pohatu said, "great strength can be found in small packages".

Agreed-it's quality that counts. However, quite a few of the larger entries are quite ornate. It's left me discouraged about the chances of my own entry.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge