Why was Brutaka Allowed to keep his Olmak?

Here are two questions that I thought of while posting in one of the Games and Trvia Topics. Why did the OoMN allow Brutaka to have his Olmak during his time on Voya Nui and when he was sent to the Pit? 

For those who may not know, a Kanohi Olmak allowed its users to open portals to other places in one's own dimension or opened portals to other dimensions entirely. This arguably made it one of the most powerful non-Legendary Kanohi Masks IMO. 

According to BS01, there were only two Olmaks in the MU. One was Brutaka's, while the other was one that was given to a Toa in Jovan's Toa Team before the OoMN got a hold of it, but then Makuta Tridax somehow got it afterwards. I'm not sure if the OoMN knew that only two existed, but even if they didn't, I still think its questionable for them to let Brutaka have such a powerful mask.

Yes, I do see how it could've been useful for Brutaka in helping keep the Ignika safe. After all, he could've just opened a portal to another dimension and thrown intruders into it, thus ending their threat to the Mask of Life. :P But I don't think that's a big enough reason for the Order to let him have it while he was on guard duty. The Order could've used it to help out in different situations around the MU. And Brutaka easily could've had another Kanohi Mask to help him out with his job. 

But even if there was a good reason for Brutaka to have the Olmak during his time on Voya Nui, it doesn't change the fact that Botar sent him to the Pit while he still had it. Why didn't Botar take the Olmak from Brutaka before sending him to the Pit? As stated before, this is a powerful Kanohi Mask. And even if Brutaka had a good reason for having it on Voya Nui, I don't see a reason for the Order to sent it with him to the Pit. Even if they didn't know the Mask would've been damaged by the Pit Mutagen in the water, thus making its powers somewhat unstable, Brutaka still could've used it to attempt an escape. Of course, his options on locations would've been limited due to the loss of his ability to breathe air, but he still could've escaped to an ocean or other body of water in the MU or another dimension. 

But maybe I'm missing something here. I've read through both Brutaka's and the Olmak's BS01 pages, but didn't see anything to answer the questions I have about this. Of course, there could be a Greg quote somewhere explaining these situations that I'm missing. But regardless, I bring my questions to you all for answers.

Why do you think the Order of Mata Nui allowed Brutaka to have an Olmak while he and Axonn were watching over the Mask of Life? And why didn't Botar take it from him when he took him to the Pit?

• Upvote 4

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

As for why he had it while he was stationed on Voya-Nui? I'd say it was because it made for easier communication with The Order in case something happened, so for example if a bunch of makuta came looking for the Mask of Life Axonn and himself wouldn't stand a chance, so the mask could be used to easily get the word out and get reinforcements.

As for afterwards? Hard to say, perhaps Botar didn't know what mask he was wearing? Which actually still doesn't makes sense since Helryx or other probably did know and would've ordered it taken away or destroyed.

I guess my final answer is that they did know, and they didn't want him to have it knowing he could easily escape but didn't have a choice. It's a very powerful mask that he could've used to escape before anyone even had a real chance at stopping him, so instead of risking the agents to try and force it from him they let it be and simply went along with it.

I mean think about, Brutaka changed after he was captured/sent to The Pit, or at least I think so. He probably realized Mata-Nui and The Order weren't his enemies and was willing to accept the consequences for what he had done, knowing it was wrong and choosing to comply now. Besides, we see later The Order still trusted Brutaka, welcoming him back, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

That's really all I can think of for now but this is a good question, and I'd like to hear any other possible logical explanations for it.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it's the Order deciding, for whatever reason, to respect that Brutaka owns the mask.

Agreed. While there were some practical purposes (such as the convenience aspect Banana Gunz mentioned), we know that masks tend to reflect the user, in some way. In that sense, the Olmak IS Brutaka, and taking that from him would be like me stripping you of something central to your character.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Botar was dropping people off in the Pit. If the place was still whole, they'd probably have people there who took care of containing the prisoners, which would be the stage where Brutaka would have had his Olmak taken. However, there was nobody there to take Brutaka into custody, and by the time the OoMN knew the Pit was breached and Brutaka still had his Olmak, the mask had fused to his face with his mutations. So they would have taken the Olmak, were everything running as it should.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

It's not as if the OoMN needed the Olmak while Brutaka was stationed on Voya-Nui. They had other means to get around; mainly Botar, who also couldn't have his power stolen from him. Isolating Brutaka on Voya-Nui would have helped prevent anyone from attempting to steal the Olmak while keeping it in a useful place.

Why they let him keep the mask in the Pit is indeed more confusing. Perhaps there were safeguards that prevented the use of powers? The Pit held many dangerous criminals; I think there were some mechanisms to help keep their strength suppressed, though I can't remember exactly.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Botar was dropping people off in the Pit. If the place was still whole, they'd probably have people there who took care of containing the prisoners, which would be the stage where Brutaka would have had his Olmak taken. However, there was nobody there to take Brutaka into custody, and by the time the OoMN knew the Pit was breached and Brutaka still had his Olmak, the mask had fused to his face with his mutations. So they would have taken the Olmak, were everything running as it should.

True, Botar would always grab people, then drop prisoners off at The Pit with his teleportation so quickly that he never saw The Pit in its ruined state and was never able to get mutated by the sea's mutagen.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light