That Which You Have Sworn To Protect (Makuta Rebrick Contest)

Distorted

Where the heck is that torso piece from? Also, I never really mention the photography in MOCs, but man it's fantastic here.

That's from the '01 Tohunga.

Anyways, this is really neat. I doubt it will win anything because Lego has always been focused solely on size in my experience, but it is a very nice piece nonetheless. And a very creative way to tie in '01 Makuta with the modern style!

Edited by Nightbeat

I'm acutally jealous I can't build this myself. This is a neat model! The CCBS and original Tohunga torso work together pretty well, but I will say that the figure looks a bit hunched over. You really capture the feel of MNOLG Makuta through your photography though. That's probably my favorite thing about this picture, honestly. You've got to teach me how to do that. :P

Loved this when it showed up on Rebrick the other day. Great way to evolve the Tohunga archetype without losing its charm. Think it works better with the flat gray Hau vs an infected one too, good call.

Also a huge fan of the lighting.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

The CCBS and original Tohunga torso work together pretty well, but I will say that the figure looks a bit hunched over. You really capture the feel of MNOLG Makuta through your photography though. That's probably my favorite thing about this picture, honestly. You've got to teach me how to do that. :P

Thanks. Is it the System slopes on the shoulders that make it look hunched?

For the lighting, I just used a couple of LED box lights which came with attachable dispersion filters in clear white and clear orange. One light has the white filters attached and the other has the orange filters. Then I just experimented with the placement of the lights until I got something good. (The background is just a big piece of grey card.)

I also added some subtle photo editing - mostly reducing the contrast so that the white light reflecting off the hand on the left wasn't so harsh.

(I used a similar lighting setup for my Manas build.)

Loved this when it showed up on Rebrick the other day. Great way to evolve the Tohunga archetype without losing its charm. Think it works better with the flat gray Hau vs an infected one too, good call.

Also a huge fan of the lighting.

Thanks. I'm surprised the grey Hau has gone down well! I would have bought an infected one (plus some black Technic right angled joints rather than the grey ones I'm using here) but I already spent a fair bit getting the parts to build this and I couldn't really justify the price. An infected Hau is expensive for what it is, yo.

-

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys!

• Upvote 1

The CCBS and original Tohunga torso work together pretty well, but I will say that the figure looks a bit hunched over. You really capture the feel of MNOLG Makuta through your photography though. That's probably my favorite thing about this picture, honestly. You've got to teach me how to do that. :P

Thanks. Is it the System slopes on the shoulders that make it look hunched?For the lighting, I just used a couple of LED box lights which came with attachable dispersion filters in clear white and clear orange. One light has the white filters attached and the other has the orange filters. Then I just experimented with the placement of the lights until I got something good. (The background is just a big piece of grey card.)I also added some subtle photo editing - mostly reducing the contrast so that the white light reflecting off the hand on the left wasn't so harsh.(I used a similar lighting setup for my Manas build.)

I think it might be the slopes, but it could be how the head attaches to the Tohunga body. I'm not too sure.

Those lights sound like something I should look into then. Do you have a brand name or something that I could use to look the lights up? I only use a basic LED flashlight and a bit of photo editing for my pictures. It works, but after a while my pictures started looking really similar and I want to break away from that old style.

Thank you!

"But... you're but a Protector!"

"Oh? You were expecting something else?.. something like... THIS?"

I think Okotan would be the better term here. It is a sweet MOC.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Those lights sound like something I should look into then. Do you have a brand name or something that I could use to look the lights up? I only use a basic LED flashlight and a bit of photo editing for my pictures. It works, but after a while my pictures started looking really similar and I want to break away from that old style.

Thank you!

I use a couple of Metz mecalight LED-480 units, but you can find similar LED units from other manufacturers. You do need to watch out for shadows - LED units cast weird shadows because each little bulb casts its own individual shadow, which is probably why they came with filters.

• Upvote 1