Trial by Tahu (Short Film!)

emily

"Pohatu... is fine." My favorite line. :P

That was great. You managed to convey the emotions of the various characters quite well, especially Tahu. (And not just the mask and eyes, but the general body language.) And the animation was nice and crisp for the style, and I could easily see this as something directly from the MNOLG. The new Rahi designs were really good too, and I liked the usage of some of the masks at the end! Plus, a good story too! (I watched it without sound, so when I have a chance I'll have to rewatch it for the music too.)

Thanks for posting, it was fun to watch! :D

:music:

• Upvote 2

Really awesome work. I had a hard time figuring out which parts were assets from MNOG and which parts you made yourself, which speaks volumes about how authentic it all was.

I also liked how it told a good story - I'd go so far as to say that the storytelling here was less awkward than many of the original animations.

The one criticism I have is that the new music featured doesn't have the compression of the old music, so it sticks out quite a bit. I would have preferred to hear the old SFX and music recreated, or at least have a compression effect on the new music. The style of the new music definitely fits perfectly, though.

• Upvote 1

Man, this is awesome. I expected something funny at first, but then... I think none of the canonical media (as far as I know) have rendered Tahu's hot temper so well, even though the will to work alone is more a Kopaka thing. The kirikori nui are great, and so their music.

It's kind of amusing that Jaller is a lot more mature than Tahu.

Well done!

• Upvote 1

I think I speak for all of us when I say:

cwtf.gif

That was amazing.  That was incredible.  That's easily one of my favourite things ever to be posted on BZPower.  You absolutely nailed the tone and style of the original Templar animations and you managed to tell an original, yet plausible story.  I absolutely loved the part where Tahu starts impersonating the other Toa.  I thought that was a brilliant combination of animation and story elements.  I await your next project with great anticipation.

• Upvote 4

"Pohatu... is fine." My favorite line. :P

^This.

Very well done! Not only nostalgic for the MNOG style, but also a great story to go along with it. :) We see hints of this in Mask of Light, so it makes sense that such a conflict probably occurred in their pre-Nuva days.

Also, I really like your portrayal of Jaller. No offense meant to Andrew Francis, but his portrayal in MoL seemed less wise and less like a Captain of the Guard than his portrayal in the MNOG and Flash animations of the Bohrok era, and this hearkened back to that character.

I also really enjoyed the new assets you created for the Kirikori Nui and the Hikaki. Seamless.

akanohi.png

• Upvote 1

Akano's Comics
BZP's resident "MOO" obsesser. My Blag.
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
We are the Order of Absolutely Crazy People. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

So THAT's where your avatar came from... =P

My only critique thingy is the characters' lines could be faster, and they could nod their heads a little bit more.  But that's just me.  The new style of eyes on Tahu and Jaller's Haus (as opposed to having them filled in) felt kinda off to me at first.  Then there was Tahu's 'oh snap' look and they redeemed themselves =P

Vonderful goot work!

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

As others have said - fantastic work!
Shadowblazer's music was great, albeit could have been better edited to fit the picture. The sound design as a whole left quite a bit to be desired.

But the animation was fluid, the story great, and overall is quite clearly a labor of love! Nice job to both you guys.

I love how you nailed the classic Templar style.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

Thanks so much, everyone! 

The one criticism I have is that the new music featured doesn't have the compression of the old music, so it sticks out quite a bit. I would have preferred to hear the old SFX and music recreated, or at least have a compression effect on the new music. The style of the new music definitely fits perfectly, though.

Shadowblazer's music was great, albeit could have been better edited to fit the picture. The sound design as a whole left quite a bit to be desired.

Just to be clear, any sound design issues are totally on my end and not Shadowblaze's! I wanted to work to preserve the audio "space" of the Templar stuff and he isn't that familiar with MNOG so I did the editing work myself. But sound definitely isn't my specialty - something I'll need to work on for the future! If you're interested, Shadowblaze put up a video with everything he composed, including some really nice stuff that ended up unused.

I'd worship you forever if you could upload the Flash file like you did for the Lewa animation. :bowdown:

Sorry to say it isn't going to be possible this time. The final animation is split into chunks. I could combine them into a single file to export, but the reason I broke them up in the first place is because CS6 has a pretty glaring audio sync issue that gets worse as an animation runs - even if I went through and meticulously predicted where sounds would need to be placed to play correctly upon export, there's no way I could get sounds that play at the beginning of a scene to line up right.  :(

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I am not exaggerating when I say that solid gold like this is literally what will keep the Bionicle community alive and even thriving in the years to come. ...I don't suppose there's any possibility of you opening a Patreon to fund a whole series of these animations? 'Cause I'd put my money down faster than you can say "Kanohi."

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Very well done, Pereki. I was expecting more what you'd done with Lewa and the Rama, but this blew me away. Great work!

Just out of curiosity, do you only do 2D animation, or can you do other types as well?

Edited by The Hero Nuva Kaita Nui

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

Very well done, Pereki. I was expecting more what you'd done with Lewa and the Rama, but this blew me away. Great work!

Just out of curiosity, do you only do 2D animation, or can you do other types as well?

I'm learning a bit of 3D at the moment but I'm not super interested in it, personally. I do want to get into hand-drawn stuff, but of course that's 2D just like this animation is!

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Absolutely fantastic, Pereki!!  I very much enjoyed watching that.  :)  What a throwback, indeed.  Ta-Koro has always been one of my favorite environments and seeing it come to life again...:D  And all the different members of the Guard, the lava flow, the Suva, the Sacred Fire...all the old memories come flooding back!!!  The animation was brilliantly done(as everyone has already commented on!), but I also wanted to commend you for your dialogue-writing.  The lines were pretty much pitch-perfect, exactly how these characters talk.  You put good work into this.  :)  Thanks so much!!

(Now I really want to play the MNOLG again...)

:tohu:

-IT

• Upvote 1

"What in Kenobi’s name is a Nui-Rama?!" -- Zinyo Tahkanir, Jedi Knight --Toa of the New Republic

fbtm_zpsbsbnmqje.jpg
Hachaian Winds -- Tiki's Journey -- Toa United
qs1482.jpg
qs1482.jpg
qs1482.jpg
Props to Schizo Kaita for the banner!!

Pohatu is fine. New meme 2k16

Anyways, this was amazing, and really reminded me of the original MNOG. I feel like I've seen your work here before, keep going! It's really great!

EDIT: Also I really really love the score

Edited by Number_One_IX

This is just too cool... uh... I mean, this is too hot! :P Well done! Great job! This animation captured the Templar Studios/2001 feel perfectly, and I really hope you do more! This animation was truly a treat to watch! Thank you for making this, and good luck on your future animation projects! :D

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Wow, simply stunning work! I wasn't expecting to see the Hikaki, so that was a pleasant surprise. Also, the animation on the Kirikori Nui looked perfect. You really held true to basic MNOG animation staples, but I enjoyed how you also made it your own. You should be very proud.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. 

Excellent work. There's little for me to say that hasn't been said before--I loved it, very nostalgic, yet also effectively "yours" and is a good animation in its own right. I hope to see more like this.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

A splendid piece of work, without question. It reeks-in a good way-of the Mata Nui Online Game, while still introducing new elements that are all it's own. I like the idea of Jala not being impressed with Tahu after getting to see him in action a bit, and the way he acted to get him back on track was very much in character-I couldn't help but think of Lhikan. Keep up the fine craftsmanship.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Thanks again, everyone!  :D

awesome! can you make something similar for Gali? :)

Gali's next on the list! It'll be a bit of a while before I have the time to get it done, though.

• Upvote 1

Gosh you are good at these Templar animations. Well written and executed, once again getting the tone right while also managing to incorporate YOUR style of writing and visual composition as well, which adds another layer of charm to it all. Biggest kudos for including not one but two new Rahi into the Templar style. Extremely well done.

signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

I want to write a wall of text singing praise to this! but I won't.

This is simply AMAZING. Truely mind blowingly amazing. And long too MAN 17 minutes of pure awesome.

I find it hard to even pinpoint my favorite thing about this. This IS my favorite thing.

Now now, some high lights for me.

5:24 - Smooooth transition.

8:24 - The background turns red, Tahu wears the Hau and he says "fool". He is infact describing himself at this moment without even realizing it. BRILLIANT.

10:00 - This. thisthisthisthisthis. This is just pure gold. This.

10:37 - *knocked out* *KAITA* *KLANG* *drop*

I must wonder if this made the front page in the news when it came out.

Also I wonder if Pereki has any similar projects.

I will now go check.

Edited by Toa Doublebee

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Oh my Great Spirit, this is beautiful.  How did you manage to make 15-ish min of Tahu talking about his feelings seem so epic and funny at the same time?

Love the mask impersonation bit.  A little out-of-character for Tahu, but it was just so funny it worked anyway.

Only nitpick I have is that IIRC, Gali was only really the team joker in G2.  In G1, she was more of the team big sister/mom figure trying to hold everyone together, and the team joker would more likely be either Pohatu or Lewa.  But then again, Pohatu is fine.  (Then again, maybe she told jokes in the comics or books or something, so feel free to correct me if that's the case.)

If I'm right, then Tahu's complaint could probably be more like "Gali's always trying to shove teamwork down my throat" or something along those lines.  And then when he's pointing out their good traits while trapped in the cave with Jala, he could've been like "Gali was always there for me when no one else was" or "Gali cheered me up when no one else did" (so that Tahu's laughing face in that scene would still make sense).

But then again, I'm just nitpicking.  This was absolutely beautiful, and in my Bionicle headcanon, this actually happened.  If you had shown this (or any of your other MNOG stuff) to little 8-year-old me, I would actually have believed that this was from Templar/LEGO themselves.

Oh my Great Spirit, this is beautiful.  How did you manage to make 15-ish min of Tahu talking about his feelings seem so epic and funny at the same time?

Love the mask impersonation bit.  A little out-of-character for Tahu, but it was just so funny it worked anyway.

Only nitpick I have is that IIRC, Gali was only really the team joker in G2.  In G1, she was more of the team big sister/mom figure trying to hold everyone together, and the team joker would more likely be either Pohatu or Lewa.  But then again, Pohatu is fine.  (Then again, maybe she told jokes in the comics or books or something, so feel free to correct me if that's the case.)

If I'm right, then Tahu's complaint could probably be more like "Gali's always trying to shove teamwork down my throat" or something along those lines.  And then when he's pointing out their good traits while trapped in the cave with Jala, he could've been like "Gali was always there for me when no one else was" or "Gali cheered me up when no one else did" (so that Tahu's laughing face in that scene would still make sense).

But then again, I'm just nitpicking.  This was absolutely beautiful, and in my Bionicle headcanon, this actually happened.  If you had shown this (or any of your other MNOG stuff) to little 8-year-old me, I would actually have believed that this was from Templar/LEGO themselves.

Yeah, I think it was included here as just a nod to G2, which I appreciated. Your suggestions would have been better in my opinion as well. Then again, it is just a nitpick on a still near-perfect production.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...

Ambient music? Check. Memorable action with Kanohi powers? Check. Plausible dialogue? Check.

This is truly awesome and well done. It felt like I was watching an unreleased part of the old MNOLG animations!

My only real criticism is that the music style - while it does fit the original style - it does stick out a bit at times. Gali's character was a little off-kilter, and I can be pretty picky with how humorous dialogue is handled in Bionicle scenarios, but the mannerisms of the characters here are overall well-done. Classic Tahu’s temper tantrums are just right - and Kapura was a great match with how he appeared in MNOLG. Jala talking to Tahu, as if they were on the same level... was interesting. I always saw the villagers as being too reverential to boldly backtalk the Toa!

I don’t know how I missed this feature! You know it’s a good animation when the 17 whole minutes goes by in the snap of a finger.   :b: :i: :z:

Edited by BiomechanicalIz
  • Upvote 1

pirate wreck