What do Voya Nui and Mahri Nui represent?

They used to be a single island before being torn in two, and I guess they are that hard piece of bone where your individual ribs connect in the center of your chest seeing as Voya Nui breaking off and surfacing is what allowed mutagenic water to fall into Karda Nui. Voya Nui is just sediment and rock formed around a large hexagonal piece of the GSR which slotted back into place upon the destruction of the cord. I'm sure there is some medical term for that particular part of your ribcage, but I don't know it.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The Pit would probably be the liver, in that case. Since it is the organ that deals with detoxification. The Pit then takes care of the toxic elements in Mata Nui. Artakha would be the bone marrow, creating new (blood) cells, the Continents, North and South being the lungs (producing air and climate for the rest of the interior environment), while the BoM island creating rahi like the various glands secrete hormones...

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

This is probably the most official scaled map we have of it. Looking at that, if Karda Nui is the heart, then it seems like Voya/Mahri Nui could very well be the sternum as Pohaturon said.

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'll approach this from a mythological perspective.

In the archetype myth, every hero must undergo an "underworld" journey. This theme recurs often in BIONICLE:

2001- descent into the Mangaia

2002- The Bahrag's lair

2003- Takanuva in the Lair of Makuta

BIONICLE however is a continuing story, meaning that the 9 year arc must have a deepest of teh deepest point in the story.

Enter the Pit.

In archetype myths, the descent into the "underworld" often has water as a symbol.

Also, the Pit is akin to Tartarus or Abaddon, in that it holds the worst criminals and monsters in this mythology. The Pit is the perfect allegory of the underworld journey. 2007 arguably has the darkest story as well, where one of our six main heroes dies a permanent death.

While other years have a moment of crisis, the stakes were never higher than they were in 2007.

Thus, I would say that Voya Nui is the first step after the call to action in the Hero's journey of the Chronicler's company, and their descent to Mahri Nui is their descent into the underworld, a place that demands the sacrifice of one of their own before they can escape...

Not sure why people think it's the stomach.  It's definitely not that.

Since Karda Nui was the heart, Voya Nui (and by extension Mahri Nui since it was just a piece of Voya Nui that fell off) would have been the heart wall.  The land that made the ground of Voya Nui also made the ceiling of Karda Nui.

It's also not the sternum, because that's practically the outer layer of your chest.  Certainly the ceiling of the Southern Continent Dome could be considered analogous to a sternum, but not Voya Nui.

Since Karda Nui was the heart, Voya Nui (and by extension Mahri Nui since it was just a piece of Voya Nui that fell off) would have been the heart wall.  The land that made the ground of Voya Nui also made the ceiling of Karda Nui.

It's also not the sternum, because that's practically the outer layer of your chest.  Certainly the ceiling of the Southern Continent Dome could be considered analogous to a sternum, but not Voya Nui.

Keep in mind that Karda Nui is exactly below the Southern Continent, from which Voya Nui broke off. Seeing as Karda Nui is analogous to the heart of the GSR, then the only thing above it is the sternum (besides muscle and skin, but those are the outer shell of the GSR), meaning it is literally the only possible thing that Voya Nui, and therefore, the Southern Continent, can represent. 

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Keep in mind that Karda Nui is exactly below the Southern Continent, from which Voya Nui broke off. Seeing as Karda Nui is analogous to the heart of the GSR, then the only thing above it is the sternum (besides muscle and skin, but those are the outer shell of the GSR), meaning it is literally the only possible thing that Voya Nui, and therefore, the Southern Continent, can represent. 

Not exactly.  In the Giant Robot, you've got a few layers:

Layer 1: The Outer Shell.  This is the part of the robot you can see from the outside as well as the ocean floor during the Mahri Nui story arc.  This is a hard, protective surface that protects the Matoran and other creatures within from the harmful effects of the outside world.

Layer 2: The Pit.  Housed within the outer shell in a location so remote you can only teleport there -- the Order of Mata Nui's prison.  This cracks open during the Great Cataclysm and releases the prisoners into the ocean above.

Layer 3: Voya Nui and the Southern Continent.  Housed within a dome so large that no one really questions or suspects that they might be within a giant robot, this is a large, open area with the floor of the Pit as its ceiling and the ceiling of Karda Nui as its floor.

Layer 4: Karda Nui.  The innermost region of the Giant Robot, this is literally the core of the universe.  It is filled with mutagenic radiation that infuses itself to the edges of the dome, causing those who live in the swamp below or those who come into contact with the base of Voya Nui to become horribly mutated.

If Voya Nui is the sternum, then where do you place the Pit or the Outer Shell?  Obviously it's not a perfect analogy to a human body, but it makes much more sense for Voya Nui to be the outer part of the heart or maybe just the pericardium because you still have to fit a fairly significant dome on top of it.  A dome which, in my view, sounds much more like a ribcage in terms of form and function than Voya Nui does.

Not exactly.  In the Giant Robot, you've got a few layers:

Layer 1: The Outer Shell.  This is the part of the robot you can see from the outside as well as the ocean floor during the Mahri Nui story arc.  This is a hard, protective surface that protects the Matoran and other creatures within from the harmful effects of the outside world.

Layer 2: The Pit.  Housed within the outer shell in a location so remote you can only teleport there -- the Order of Mata Nui's prison.  This cracks open during the Great Cataclysm and releases the prisoners into the ocean above.

Layer 3: Voya Nui and the Southern Continent.  Housed within a dome so large that no one really questions or suspects that they might be within a giant robot, this is a large, open area with the floor of the Pit as its ceiling and the ceiling of Karda Nui as its floor.

Layer 4: Karda Nui.  The innermost region of the Giant Robot, this is literally the core of the universe.  It is filled with mutagenic radiation that infuses itself to the edges of the dome, causing those who live in the swamp below or those who come into contact with the base of Voya Nui to become horribly mutated.

If Voya Nui is the sternum, then where do you place the Pit or the Outer Shell?  Obviously it's not a perfect analogy to a human body, but it makes much more sense for Voya Nui to be the outer part of the heart or maybe just the pericardium because you still have to fit a fairly significant dome on top of it.  A dome which, in my view, sounds much more like a ribcage in terms of form and function than Voya Nui does.

I get what you're getting at, but wouldn't that relegate all domes in the GSR structure to act as the skeleton? Like, Metru Nui is the brain, therefore the dome around it would be the skull, which makes perfect sense. The whole Karda Nui thing makes it all weird due to it being the only case where we have an area designed for the GSR's nanomachines to inhabit below another. As far as I know, everything other than Karda Nui is on the same horizontal plane, right? 

I guess you're right that this is where the fact that it isn't a perfect mimic of a human body comes into play. The human heart isn't exactly in the center of our chest like Karda Nui either, and we have no organs above the Heart sans the part of the lung that overlaps it. 

I guess I just count the islands and their respective domes as one "thing". Surely a structure as big as the GSR has some kind of reinforcement below the outer layer which would be considered the skeletal structure, so indeed Voya Nui/Southern Continent cannot be the sternum, but in lieu of any other organ that makes sense in that location, I assumed it was the logical choice.

I guess it doesn't have an accurate human anatomy equivalent then :shrugs:

• Upvote 1