Makuta: Maelstrom of Ruin (Makuta Challenge Entry)

Lyichir

29452198755_358af41a51_c.jpg

"You were expecting something else? Something like... THIS!?"

When Makuta is on the brink of defeat, the Mask of Ultimate Power transforms him into a disembodied vortex of shadows and elemental energy. With nothing left but his Mask of Control and the desire for revenge, Makuta uses this form to lash out at the Toa and Ekimu in his final moments.

This depiction of Makuta is inspired by Makuta's final form in the Mata Nui Online Game. It was created for the Makuta Challenge on Lego Rebrick. My brother Aanchir assisted me with this MOC.

Additional Photos on Flickr

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Love the complexity. However I think the huge gap spaces could have been filled with technic corrugated pipes (same as was used by mnog makuta's form) as tentacles near the bottom to attack enemies.

I see plenty of open unused balls that easily be used to attach pipes with a blue cross axle and this piece from g1 titan sets x1192cx2.1116794533.jpg

After applying the piece from the picture above  mentioned from peeron˄
these triple attack tencacle ideas can be applied
makutastentacles.jpg

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

I like the concept--there have been a couple of entries taking the MNOG route, but I haven't seen one interpret the vortex form. Really like the tangle of the central pillar.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Welp, it's not a gold and purple Titan, which is a plus for originality. I have mixed feelings about this. I really like the constraction-built Mask of Control. I'm not really a big fan of the elemental energies, I don't know why, I just don't really like them.

Thanks! I understand the criticism—this MOC is far from perfect, and is largely a result of wanting to come up with SOMETHING before the deadline (then again, if I'd had more time/parts, I might have just gone for another gold and purple titan wearing the mask :P). I did like the colors of the elemental tendrils but could have probably made them look better if I'd had more time and more parts at my disposal (in particular, I barely had enough Trans. Bright Bluish Violet bones to make the tendrils as long as I did and would have liked to make all of them longer and less straight if I had had time to put in another Bricklink order before the deadline).

Love the complexity. However I think the huge gap spaces could have been filled with technic corrugated pipes (same as was used by mnog makuta's form) as tentacles near the bottom to attack enemies.

I see plenty of open unused balls that easily be used to attach pipes with a blue cross axle and this piece from g1 titan sets x1192cx2.1116794533.jpg

After applying the piece from the picture above  mentioned from peeron˄

these triple attack tencacle ideas can be applied

makutastentacles.jpg

No offense, but both the gaps and the "unused balls" were intentional. I was going for the "vortex of basic parts" look from the MNOG, but with CCBS instead, and I found that the easiest way to achieve that was with swirling chains of CCBS bones. If anything I would have loved to be able to make it even gappier, so that the parts looked less like they were just connected together, but for stability's sake and with only a few days before the deadline I went with the simple solution you see here.

Corrugated pipes were another possibility for the "tendrils", but considering the use of the CCBS in G2, I felt CCBS bones made a more logical choice for the vortex itself and the branching "tendrils" (at one point I planned on mixing in shells too, but preferred the look the unclad bones provided). Also, corrugated pipes do not necessarily hold their shape well, which wouldn't work as well for the sort of twisting tendrils I envisioned, and I don't even know if I'd have corrugated pipes in the kind of quantity that'd be necessary. Also, I preferred the elemental colors the bones provided.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

He's good, and I like the head ... but I think he needs a much bigger mass of parts for his body. A proper CCBS equivalent to Makuta's swirlding void form should surround the head. Having just a stalk of parts make's him look like an odd flower.

Good concept, good building, but could be done much better with more parts.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Awesome. And also ugh. It's nothing you could, ahem, control, but seeing this creation once again reminds me that we never got the ribcage or any bones in trans-dark-blue. The creation is pretty, ahem, cool, despite that, but I can't help but see two tendrils of ice instead of one tendril of ice and water a piece.

Still, anything that manages to homage MNOG Makuta and the idea of the Mask of Ultimate Power possibly being the true villain of G2 is cool in my book. And a giant MoCo made of CCBS parts is by default more original than probably at least 50 percent of the other contest entries submitted. A lot of people just can't move beyond the creative constraints of the generic G1 Makuta look, so kudos to you for, ahem, forging a different path.

apologies in advance for all the terrible puns

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.